zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zdgro
No Caption Provided

This cable is attatched to a digital antenna I have and I have no idea what it is. I thought I knew most AV connectors. looks recessed like a co-axial but has a thick prong like a composite. Very confused. Thanks for any advice.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Quantris

Pretty sure this is just an RCA connector, albeit with a short pin or extended sleeve. You're plugging it into a standard RCA jack, right? I recall running into something similar before, thinking that it was just a manufacturer quirk (certainly most RCA connectors have the protruding pin which tends to auto-center upon insertion).

It's technically incorrect to call it "composite", that's just what they're used for in a typical home AV setup; also this is technically a "co-axial" connector. Cables and connectors are different things.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zgoon: It looks like the cable that came with one of the second gen versions of Nintendo consoles, either the NES or SNES.

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zdgro

@quantris: I've tried it in every port I have on my TV. Prong is too small for RCA and too thick for the coax antenna thing.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GreggD

@zgoon said:

@quantris: I've tried it in every port I have on my TV. Prong is too small for RCA and too thick for the coax antenna thing.

I checked the back of my consoles, and yeah, it looks just like the SNES A/V plug that goes to the second gen version (the rounded, smaller one). Now that connector you're showing in the OP, that is directly attached to the digital antenna? Or does it have another end?

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zdgro

@greggd: Directly attached to antenna.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zgoon: Well, I would say that if you can get a hold of the SNES I mentioned, you could see if it works. Worth a shot, at least.

IcedWhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a male Belling-Lee aka (arial antenna) connector.

davielove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is correct, and since this is going into an antenna it's most likely a coax cable.

This is also the traditional RF cable for most European countries I believe.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jamesyfx

Yeah that's definitely a Belling-Lee male connector, definitely not RCA. We use them here in the UK for digital terrestrial tv or analogue distribution. Old games consoles used to use them as well.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@tiredmonkey said:

This is correct, and since this is going into an antenna it's most likely a coax cable.

This is also the traditional RF cable for most European countries I believe.

This.