Update on Crossfire: Getting New Card

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By darkgoth678

S I tried and Tried and kept tryingto get the Crossfire working on the 4850's I had. I even went back to some boards to look for more help but the answers were getting repetitive. I tried a few more things like the recently released Catalyst 9.1 Drivers and I hoped that would fix things since that was the general consent in the AMD boards but that was not the case. 

Ultimately I just have been so frustrated and have uterly had it with these cards, I just gave up. This is weird for me since i am not one to give up on things and I usually get things working if they have problems. Though I do take this as a learning experience like everything and now I know that if I want to do a multi-GPU solution then I want to make sure I purchase the exact same cards at nearly the same time with the exact same BIOS revisions. Although this, in theory shouldn't be the case.

Now I am shooting for the next best thing, I am currently selling my 4850's on eBay and am shooting to get me the next bestthing besides a 4850 Crossfire... a 4850X2. to wreck all of the benefits of Crossfire without all of the hassels of it all in one card. I considered a 4870 but the performance of a 4870 is inferior to a CF 4850 setup and a 4870X2 is too expensive. 

So yes, now i would be cardless and would not be able to finish Mass Effect if it wasn't for keeping my old Dell system that I kept a Geforece 8600 GT in. I am currently using that on my Gaming system. Unfortuantely to play Mass Effect I have to turn all features to the lowest settings except for the resolution. Sure all of the game's textures look like crap but at least I get the storyline. 

I'm expecting to get around $100 for each card, which is reasonable, and with the $60 I have saved up it would be enough for a 4850X2 1GB GDDR3 card. The Powercolor card sold fairly quickly, right now I am waiting for the ASUS card to sell and if it sells and the guy pays then I can order my card and realistically get it by sometime next week. 

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By darkgoth678

S I tried and Tried and kept tryingto get the Crossfire working on the 4850's I had. I even went back to some boards to look for more help but the answers were getting repetitive. I tried a few more things like the recently released Catalyst 9.1 Drivers and I hoped that would fix things since that was the general consent in the AMD boards but that was not the case. 

Ultimately I just have been so frustrated and have uterly had it with these cards, I just gave up. This is weird for me since i am not one to give up on things and I usually get things working if they have problems. Though I do take this as a learning experience like everything and now I know that if I want to do a multi-GPU solution then I want to make sure I purchase the exact same cards at nearly the same time with the exact same BIOS revisions. Although this, in theory shouldn't be the case.

Now I am shooting for the next best thing, I am currently selling my 4850's on eBay and am shooting to get me the next bestthing besides a 4850 Crossfire... a 4850X2. to wreck all of the benefits of Crossfire without all of the hassels of it all in one card. I considered a 4870 but the performance of a 4870 is inferior to a CF 4850 setup and a 4870X2 is too expensive. 

So yes, now i would be cardless and would not be able to finish Mass Effect if it wasn't for keeping my old Dell system that I kept a Geforece 8600 GT in. I am currently using that on my Gaming system. Unfortuantely to play Mass Effect I have to turn all features to the lowest settings except for the resolution. Sure all of the game's textures look like crap but at least I get the storyline. 

I'm expecting to get around $100 for each card, which is reasonable, and with the $60 I have saved up it would be enough for a 4850X2 1GB GDDR3 card. The Powercolor card sold fairly quickly, right now I am waiting for the ASUS card to sell and if it sells and the guy pays then I can order my card and realistically get it by sometime next week. 

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maru

Oh man.. that's sad to hear.  PC can be a pain in the ass sometimes.  Good luck with your future upgrade :)

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince
Maru said:
"

Oh man.. that's sad to hear.  PC can be a pain in the ass sometimes. 

"
Word.