#1 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -
Found the same machine on the internet to give size reference.

My local area has two malls. One is a giant monstrosity that everyone goes to, and the other is kinda run-down, has a Ice-Skating rink that is never used, and is the location of occasional gang shootings.

I was in the lesser mall today, killing time before grabbing a burger with a friend, and I noticed that the mall had an arcade. Now, I didn't get my hopes up, I expected crappy ticket machines and no real games. I stroll in, and what do I see?

Street Fighter 2, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Soul Calibur 2, Killer instinct and Street Fighter 3rd Strike.

I thought these were dead. What is going on?!?! My buddy and I skip the burgers and spend 3 hours sinking quarters into these classics.

Then the one guy running the arcade in the mall approaches me and tells me that I can have the 3rd Strike machine for 300 dollars (Apparently no one plays it!), if I handle the transport (This thing is on the second floor of the mall.) That would be a pain, since it's a fairly large machine, but with a couple friends I think it could be painless.

I HAVE TO BUY THIS THING, RIGHT???

Update If Anyone Cares!!

It was unbelievably simple to get it out of the mall and into the truck. With the right angle we even got it into the house with little headache! It was set up and ready to play at 11:30, I bought an unbelievably large amount of booze, food and soft drink. I invited all of my friends over and we played 3rd Strike for 5 hours straight. They've all gone home now, today alone was worth the purchase! Arcade perfect 3rd Strike and alcohol is a dream come true.

This thing is going to get a lot of use, and my daughter even wants to learn it. So I taught the 7 year old to throw a fireball. It was pretty special.

#2 Posted by Pontron (20 posts) -

300 dollars? Do you have 300 dollars? Can you really think of something better to spend 300 dollars on? How awesome would it be to have a 3rd strike machine for 300 dollars?

Yeah I'm not good with money, but like, this is awesome. DO IT!

#3 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

@pontron said:

300 dollars? Do you have 300 dollars? Can you really think of something better to spend 300 dollars on? How awesome would it be to have a 3rd strike machine for 300 dollars?

Yeah I'm not good with money, but like, this is awesome. DO IT!

300 dollars isn't pocket change, but I can totally handle it. I just would have to budget my video game purchasing for a month or two, which won't be hard. (Nothing is coming out)

#4 Posted by FinalDasa (1496 posts) -

If you've got the pocket change then do it.

I split a Virtua Fighter machine with a roommate years ago and it was an awesome decision. Granted it now just sits in our back porch...

#5 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

DO IT!!!!! THIRD STRIKE IS A GOD OF A GAME! Just to have that would be like the holy grail of awesome and your reward would be enjoying the perfect animation of CPS3 graphics that wowed us in 1999.

#6 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

YES, MOTHA FUCKA! DO IT!

$300 for any arcade machine is worth it. You don't move it though. You pay some crappy local moving company to do it since they usually just charge by the hour. If I can get a 2 floor house moved in 5 hours across town and only cost $500, it should be relatively cheap for you to move that without hassle.

#7 Posted by Sinusoidal (1296 posts) -

Validate it? This requires no validation whatsoever.

This is awesome. I'd buy a $300 Third Strike machine in a flash.

Well, I would if I had anywhere to put it. Hell, I'd move to make room!

#8 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

@tycobb said:

YES, MOTHA FUCKA! DO IT!

$300 for any arcade machine is worth it. You don't move it though. You pay some crappy local moving company to do it since they usually just charge by the hour. If I can get a 2 floor house moved in 5 hours across town and only cost $500, it should be relatively cheap for you to move that without hassle.

Never even crossed my mind. It would be pocket change for a couple guys to move the machine (Like people who know how to move large expensive things).

@crithon said:

DO IT!!!!! THIRD STRIKE IS A GOD OF A GAME! Just to have that would be like the holy grail of awesome and your reward would be enjoying the perfect animation of CPS3 graphics that wowed us in 1999.

It's tied with Mark of the Wolves for best fighting game to grace the planet.

I love when the internet has my back on this silly money throwing!!!

Well, I'll make some calls and get 300 cash up and ready for this shit.

I'm going to bask in the very essence of 3rd Strike, I'm all hot and bothered just thinking about it.

#9 Posted by PDXSonic (75 posts) -

Seeing as a good SF3: 3rd Strike Board/CD/Marquee is going for 350-400 on eBay, I'd say its a good choice. You could then throw a better monitor it (LCD) and then think about converting it into a Mame-cab or something similar. Probably could add a trackball to the middle for Golden Tee/Crystal Castles/etc.

#10 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

@pdxsonic said:

Seeing as a good SF3: 3rd Strike Board/CD/Marquee is going for 350-400 on eBay, I'd say its a good choice. You could then throw a better monitor it (LCD) and then think about converting it into a Mame-cab or something similar. Probably could add a trackball to the middle for Golden Tee/Crystal Castles/etc.

Better monitor?!?!

Are you nuts?? The old screen is beautiful in every single way. LCD would ruin it for me.

#11 Posted by RupertTheBear (179 posts) -

For $300 plus shipping fee that's almost like buying a next gen console that only plays one game. (Although it is a sweet ass game). Plus if you decided to sell it, it still got some value unlike selling your console at gamestop for a few "store credit".

#12 Edited by TheHT (10904 posts) -

Hell yeah dude.

#13 Edited by Chaser324 (6328 posts) -

As long as you can move it and store it, you should definitely buy it. At $300, even if you didn't want it, you should be able to flip it for a decent profit.

#14 Edited by Damodar (1302 posts) -

Heeeeeeeeeeell yeaaaaah. If you have room, totally.

I dunno how much you know about Capcom's CPS3 arcade systems, but they might be worth researching before you commit. I don't know too much myself, but I believe that there is basically some form of hardware DRM in the system that the game checks against when you boot it. I believe it works something along the lines of it has a code or something that it checks against and keeping/generating that data requires a battery, which can obviously die and then it will be unable to complete that check. Used to be the case that you could send something or other to Capcom to get it working again/battery replaced/whatever, but I believe they stopped doing that some years ago. I think there are other solutions that people have come up with to deal with this issue, but I'd probably say it's worth a look in to that before you buy it.

You just need a VinnCo mag-lev handcart to move it. I'd also ditch the American style controls and Sanwa it up with a curved button layout, but that's me. Don't listen to the crazy man telling you to desecrate it with an LCD or a trackball.

#15 Posted by Pezen (1562 posts) -

Most arcade cabinets I've seen go for way more than that, but I am certainly no expert on the subject. And as @chaser324 points out, you could probably make the overall deal profitable either way.

All that aside; hell yeah you should buy that thing!

#16 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling: Garou Mark of the Wolves is perfect, in fact it's a game I found easier to introduce casual gamers over any other fighting games out there. You know what's interesting, the sprites in Garou made up little sprites to build those big fat fluid animation sprites.

#17 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

I would definitely go for it.

#18 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

Well, I have 300 dollars for the arcade operator and 100 for the delivery guys in cash in my wallet. Leaving to meet the delivery guys at the arcade to pick it up tomorrow morning.

This is really happening! Thanks guys (Showed the wife your encouragement to convince her). I'm shaking with excitement. Got the spare bedroom empty (We never use it so it's being re-purposed as a Game Room).

Welcome to the new world of Street Fighter 3!

#19 Posted by berniesbc (43 posts) -

You should have some cash to tip the movers!

#20 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

@berniesbc: Ah, yeah I have like 20 dollars lying around. Thanks.

#21 Posted by TurboMan (7406 posts) -

No.

#22 Edited by Griffinmills (140 posts) -

Seems like an amazing cabinet to pick up for only $300.

You'll be able to play a huge swath of other Jamma games if you go down that road, as well.

#23 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -
#24 Edited by AMyggen (2562 posts) -

$300 seems like great value for that cabinet, go for it! I'd buy an arcade machine in an instant if I had the room for it in my apartment.

#25 Posted by Aetheldod (3513 posts) -

I would say no ... but please keep us posted as when you fire up that machine duder :D

#26 Posted by dkessler175 (73 posts) -

You said there is a lot of gang activity there? I hope this guy is legit and you don't hand over $300 and then get busted for stealing. But Yeah! Get that cab!

#27 Edited by Wolfgame (695 posts) -

Damn straight I will validate that purchase, 300$ geez dude, even if you don't want to keep it. I guarantee you could flip it as-is on ebay for more than double that!

#28 Edited by Splodge (1070 posts) -

If you don't buy this, you will lose all your friends and your family will disown you because they wont be able to be around someone who did not buy an arcade machine.

#29 Posted by TooSweet (378 posts) -

If you can get it do it. It may make for a cool trade later as well as long as you keep it in great condition.

#30 Posted by Sin4profit (2908 posts) -

Pinball or bust.

#31 Posted by Zelyre (1128 posts) -

If you have the room, the cash, and love SF3, do it!
If someone had a DDR machine for sale, I'd pay quite a bit just to have one in my basement.

Just a few things to keep in mind; you really should tip the movers, especially if you're making them haul that thing up and down stairs. If you plan on moving anytime soon, don't have the movers put the machine somewhere where it'll be hard to remove. Your future movers will thank you.

If it's in good condition, you might be able to flip it on Craig's List for a profit. CRT screens aren't getting any more common.

And when you get bored of Street Fighter, turn it into a bitchin' MAME cabinet. Then put Street Fighter on it.

#32 Posted by Budwyzer (544 posts) -

Orrr. Find a CRT television that someone is throwing away, grab an old PS2, connect the two and play?

#33 Posted by Wolfgame (695 posts) -

@budwyzer: oh yea, because that is totally an equivalent experience to owning a bad ass arcade machine

#34 Posted by GiantLizardKing (299 posts) -

Do that shit

#35 Posted by sprode (103 posts) -

I want to give someone $300 for an arcade cabinet :(

#36 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3038 posts) -

I'd probably buy it if you got the cash, space and transportation to do so. If not save yourself the headache.

#37 Posted by billymagnum (724 posts) -

that cabinet is fugly and huge. you will regret this when you keep walking into it in the middle of the night on your way to the bathroom.

#38 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

I feel like 300 bucks is a pretty reasonable price for a cabinet. So.... do it?

#39 Posted by Salarn (463 posts) -

That cabinet looks like it's in really shoddy condition, I'd call it a maybe.

#40 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

that cabinet is fugly and huge. you will regret this when you keep walking into it in the middle of the night on your way to the bathroom.

It's not ugly at all! It's beautiful :'(
It's size is actually fine and I'm surprised at how good the cabinet feels with chairs instead of standing.

It's very out of the way, I won't be walking into it at all, unless I'm sleep walking.

#41 Posted by PDXSonic (75 posts) -

@pdxsonic said:

Better monitor?!?!

Are you nuts?? The old screen is beautiful in every single way. LCD would ruin it for me.

I couldn't tell how good of condition it was in because I was looking at my phone. It looks like its still in good condition so nevermind that idea lol.

@damodar said:

You just need a VinnCo mag-lev handcart to move it. I'd also ditch the American style controls and Sanwa it up with a curved button layout, but that's me. Don't listen to the crazy man telling you to desecrate it with an LCD or a trackball.

Hey, it was just an idea. Turning it into a MAME cab still isn't a bad idea, as it isn't an official SF3 cab. There's plenty of room to do stuff with that playfield.

For what its worth though, I do have my SNES (and in the future other retro consoles) hooked up to an LCD through a SCART cable (through a modified XRGB-2) and it looks just as good if not better than it hooked up to either my SD CRT or my HD CRT.

#42 Posted by Evilsbane (4541 posts) -

Looks fucking rad glad you guys had an easy time getting it out!

#43 Posted by SkullPanda1 (91 posts) -

While it's not miss Pac-Man that was a great deal on a nice cabinet

#44 Edited by jakob187 (21644 posts) -

If by "stupidity" you mean "common sense" in this scenario, then there's no validation needed. It's only $300 fucking dollars, man...FOR A 3RD STRIKE CABINET!

If it's the one in the OP, that fucker looks PRISTINE!

Also, I'm sure you could talk him down to at least $250 on it if you are handling transport, possibly even $230.

#45 Posted by TheBluthCompany (367 posts) -

Well... now that you own one, you don't need a second one, I guess.

#46 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

Well... now that you own one, you don't need a second one, I guess.

Pray to god I never find a Mark of the Wolves cabinet.....

#47 Posted by Jesus_Phish (622 posts) -

Any time anyone calls you dumb or questions why you want to buy an arcade machine, just point at your arcade machine and smile.

Just a quick question because I don't know much about arcade machines.

Since that's a 3rd Strike machine, does that mean it'll only ever play 3rd Strike or could you pop the cab open and swap the boards out for a different game?