#1 Edited by Commando (1878 posts) -

Update: Vancouver Police is now using Tear Gas and Concussion Grenades to get the mobs in order.

Including burning cars. Dang, Canadians take hockey seriously don't they? I had no idea it was that big of a deal up there. It's almost like College Football down here!

Not a classy way to handle a loss though. And it wasn't your goalie's fault so stop blaming him! I mean the Canucks need to score to win.

Here's a link, with pics.

#2 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

People are fucking idiots. I've been a huge Canucks fan for a long time and i'm really not that upset that they lost. I really don't get why people get so invested and upset over something they have no control over.

#3 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@canucks23 said:
People are fucking idiots. I've been a huge Canucks fan for a long time and i'm really not that upset that they lost. I really don't get why people get so invested and upset over something they have no control over.
Yea, that's always puzzled me, I never got why people were so invested in it without literally being financially invested in teams. I say this as a non-sports fan of course.
#4 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

There has been vandalism in literally every single city that has ever lost a major sports event. I have no idea why people act shocked and like the people in that city are unique and different. 

Not that I'm supporting it or anything. 

Anyway, Vancouver fans in the arena cheered Tim Thomas, they cheered their team after they lost, and many stayed and cheered the boston players when they held the cup. As far as I'm concerned, they're classier than most. I don't care about a bunch of drunk retards in the city. 

@canucks23 said: 

Because it's really not about the game at all. It's an excuse to damage stuff and feel rebellious and in a drunken state of power. 
#5 Posted by Brendan (7810 posts) -

There's drunk idiots everywhere, who do stupid stuff for any reason. We see this from sports fans to those crazies when Osama Bin Laden was reported dead.

#6 Edited by Darkerkamikaze (54 posts) -

They mad, glad that riot officers are shutting down the streets in Boston because there is no need for going to crazy.

#7 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

the fans in the stadium took it like champs though, waiving towels even though they lost...

#8 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

@Pinworm45: This is a little different than usual. Here's some live coverage. Massive fires in the streets of Vancouver.

#9 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@Commando said:

@Pinworm45: This is a little different than usual. Here's some live coverage. Massive fires in the streets of Vancouver.

That's.. not different from usual.
#10 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

@Commando said:

Damn I must have missed all the rioting/fires in Miami the other night when they lost the NBA Finals.

And I must have missed it in Pittsburgh when they lost the super bowl.

And in Oregon when they lost the National Championship.

#11 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Kinda unbelievable that it's happening again, but I'm also not surprised at all, so, uh, yeah.

#12 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

Gunshots now. And either the local police or the military is there trying to get everyone in order.

#13 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@Commando said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Commando said:

Damn I must have missed all the rioting/fires in Miami the other night when they lost the NBA Finals.

You did, actually. Didn't check the others, though, because I don't care.

Even if you were right and there were no riots at the events you listed, that still doesn't change the fact that these happen all the time, especially with hockey. This isn't unique to Vancouver. Nor is drunk people acting stupid when pissed off in large groups anything unique to anywhere, either.
#14 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Its not that bad up here its just a bunch of drunk idiots.

#15 Edited by buzz_clik (6975 posts) -

@canucks23 said:

I really don't get why people get so invested and upset over something they have no control over.

Same here. I mean, I do get annoy (sorry, couldn't resist) and angry and sullen and cursey when my football team loses. But I can still take a step back and realise that, when it boils down to it, a bunch of dudes I don't actually know personally didn't do the thing I wanted them to do without any contribution from me.

Rioting is either the result of people who either need some perspective, or they're just dickheads looking for a tenuous excuse to be a dickhead.

#16 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

My first thought when I saw this pic was "Canada discovers fire".

#17 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

According to CBC it started when a couple idiots set a car on fire, then people just kept forming around the fire and throwing stuff on it. Then people saw the smoke and a crowed and now they are all just standing there taking pictures with their phones, talking and drinking. No real rioting, just a bunch of drunk idiots standing around a car that was set on fire. No ones screaming or throwing bricks through windows or anything like that.

#18 Posted by Scotto (1185 posts) -

Yeah, there's a live feed of the "riot" on the internet right now, and it's just a bunch of drunks standing around one burning car, taking cellphone pictures.

- Scott

#19 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

If that's the case, then flame that fire.

#20 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

Wasn't there bad rioting when the Canucks lost in 94 as well?  I could be wrong about that. 

Great series though.

#21 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

Now Tear Gas is being fired and Concussion Grenades being thrown.

#22 Edited by npeterson08 (502 posts) -

Some dude's like:

"My car..."
#23 Edited by ckeats (489 posts) -

Sports fans, I just don't get them.

Any update on the kid who fell off the 3rd floor of the Roger's arena?

#24 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

again? What a bunch of tools.

Then again, burning a car is perhaps the most exciting thing that ever happens in Vancouver.

#25 Posted by Klaimore (948 posts) -

No one Canadian should have all that power.

#26 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

and not the prince of Canada has ripped the arm off the princess and stuck it up his own ass. 

#27 Posted by _Horde (839 posts) -

Such a goddamn shame. They're not giving their beloved team good representation.

#28 Edited by Commando (1878 posts) -

A Bruins Fan in Vancouver now in critical condition after attacked by a mob of Canucks...

#29 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

No good can ever come from professional sports.

#30 Posted by npeterson08 (502 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:

No good can ever come from professional sports.

That's a ridiculous blanket statement.
#31 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

Yep, people suck.

#32 Posted by Darkerkamikaze (54 posts) -
@Commando said:

A Bruins Fan in Vancouver now in critical condition after attacked by a mob of Canucks...

This is what happens when things go too far, this has already happened with a Giants fan, shit needs to stop.
#33 Edited by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

this happens in Montreal all the time during the playoffs  
well, from what i remember from last year anyway  

still, messed up.

#34 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

I'm so ashamed of my city right now.

#35 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

This happened 17 years ago when Canucks lost in the finals as well. I'm not surprised really. Pity that this is happening in our city.

#36 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -
@GetWhatYagive said:
Wasn't there bad rioting when the Canucks lost in 94 as well?  I could be wrong about that.   Great series though.
Ya there were. Again, i'm ashamed of my city.
#37 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
This is why I don't really like sports or sports fans. Say what you will about people who play games or are film buffs but no one is going to start a riot if InFamous 2 sucked or the new Green Lantern movie was bad.
#38 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

@RE_Player92 said:

This is why I don't really like sports or sports fans. Say what you will about people who play games or are film buffs but no one is going to start a riot if InFamous 2 sucked or the new Green Lantern movie was bad.

Truer words have never been spoken. Amen to that.

#39 Posted by THRICE (167 posts) -

To their credit it was a very polite riot. And all  shenanigans were conducted in Canada's two official languages.

#40 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
Other thread  
Transferring to this one now 

@Coombs said: 

Someone can't hold his phone.... 

@Coombs said: 
as darkness approaches the looting begins 

@Coombs said: 

Wiki IS up

#41 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

@THRICE said:

To their credit it was a very polite riot. And all shenanigans were conducted in Canada's two official languages.

I feel bad for laughing at that! By the way, you own me a new mouse! I knocked my beer over because of that...

#42 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@Commando

That's fucking disgusting. I'm so ashamed to be Canadian right now.
#43 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

#44 Posted by TheKing (835 posts) -

They rioted after the Rangers beat them in '94 also. It's ironic because I always hear how respectful and courteous Canadian sport fans are.

#45 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

NOW THEY HAVE GONE TO FAR

#46 Posted by MonetaryDread (2033 posts) -

Holy shit!  The coverage on CBC is insane.  Burning cop cars, tear gas, Jimmy's Liquor Store has been robbed.  It's bedlam.

#47 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -

I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!

#48 Edited by Darkerkamikaze (54 posts) -
#49 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -

@RE_Player92 said:

@Commando

That's fucking disgusting. I'm so ashamed to be Canadian right now.

As am I my friend.

#50 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@TheKing

They rioted after the Rangers beat them in '94 also. It's ironic because I always hear how respectful and courteous Canadian sport fans are.

Don't believe that shit. I live in Canada and guess what there are tons of assholes. The reason people around the world think Canada is so nice and polite is we have a fraction of the population of USA so we hardly hit the global news.