Veedeo Gehms R hrd!

okoctothorpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By okoctothorpe

Confession time: I am bad at video games. I am the person who plays on the easiest setting and still has a fucking impossible time getting past the second-level boss. I get excited any time anyone says a game's combat is "too easy" because that means I can make it through most of it. To be fair, I've only really been playing games for the last four years, so maybe it's okay that I'm on par with an eight-year old. Wait, scratch that. I'm pretty sure my seven-year old nephew can make it past the hard parts on "Ratchet and Clank".

Maybe I'm not cut out for gaming as a hobby, but I keep coming back to it because I like the format. I enjoy the interactive storytelling. But there is nothing more frustrating than getting stuck in the first 20% of a game and having to replay the same unskippable cutscene over and over and over. (I'm sure that frustration is universal, regardless of someone's skill.) I can tell I'm getting better at games in general - I don't spend nearly as much time looking at the sky or the ground as I used to. It kind of makes me wonder - is there anyone else out there who is bad at the hobby they really enjoy?

okoctothorpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By okoctothorpe

Confession time: I am bad at video games. I am the person who plays on the easiest setting and still has a fucking impossible time getting past the second-level boss. I get excited any time anyone says a game's combat is "too easy" because that means I can make it through most of it. To be fair, I've only really been playing games for the last four years, so maybe it's okay that I'm on par with an eight-year old. Wait, scratch that. I'm pretty sure my seven-year old nephew can make it past the hard parts on "Ratchet and Clank".

Maybe I'm not cut out for gaming as a hobby, but I keep coming back to it because I like the format. I enjoy the interactive storytelling. But there is nothing more frustrating than getting stuck in the first 20% of a game and having to replay the same unskippable cutscene over and over and over. (I'm sure that frustration is universal, regardless of someone's skill.) I can tell I'm getting better at games in general - I don't spend nearly as much time looking at the sky or the ground as I used to. It kind of makes me wonder - is there anyone else out there who is bad at the hobby they really enjoy?

eugenesaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By eugenesaxe

I suck out loud on FPS games, but like them anyway. It makes any kill I get that much sweeter.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By ShadowConqueror

There are plenty of people who are bad writers who still really enjoy writing. Your skill at performing a certain hobby shouldn't affect your enjoyment of it.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

That made me laugh, and I can assure that yes, watching the same unskippable cut-scenes over and over gets so frustrating to us all. I know quite a few avid gamers who consider themselves to be pretty damn terrible at games, but that's the great thing about this form of entertainment, you really don't have to be great to enjoy it. There are some guys who get thrills from playing on the hardest difficulty and conquering the toughest challenges, and others who just love to play their way through on easy and see the stories.

You'll definitely get better with time, I used to be shockingly bad at games when I started playing, doing things that would send modern-day-me into fits of rage at myself, but if you love games enough then you stick with them and improve, and I hope that you do.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Tireyo

Play more, get better.

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker

I so fucken wish the mods would crack down on intentionaly crappy titles.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Dagbiker said:

I so fucken wish the mods would crack down on intentionaly crappy titles.

Ruined what might have otherwise been a topic I engaged in.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uniform
@eugenesaxe said:

I suck out loud on FPS games, but like them anyway.

Ditto. I'm that one guy hiding in the bathroom in Pulp Fiction, unloading every shot, somehow shooting everything but the target I'm aiming at. It sometimes amazes me. It's like it takes some kind of talent to be as truly awful as I am when playing FPS games.
Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to play 10,000 hours of video games to become masterful in the practice of video-gaming, or so science says. 

okoctothorpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By okoctothorpe

@uniform: I'm right there with you. In a way, NOT hitting something directly in front of you is a skill in and of itself :P