Video card upgrade, advice requested

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By veektarius

'm running a Geforce 8800 GS on my fairly good desktop and with the spate of new PC releases coming up, I'm thinking it may be time for an upgrade.   

I haven't been paying attention to graphics cards over the past several years, but I don't believe that a top of the line, bleeding edge card is at all necessary, given how well my years-old one has performed even on very new software.  What is the best high performance card in the <$250 range (this is a soft cap, I really haven't even begun to see what reasonable prices are right now)?  I'm thinking perhaps a generation or two back. I have typically been an NVidia guy in years past, if that is a concern.  Also, my motherboard is a DLI Lanparty BI P43-T34 if that affects my options.   I ntel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400 2.66GHz 1333MHz 6MB LGA775  CPU    is the CPU.  I don't have access to my desktop since I'm at work, but I want to say the PSU is 700Mhz from memory.  It's definitely only midrange.       

This was admittedly copy/pasted from the tested forums due to lack of traffic over there.  Appreciate any help you can provide.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

I'm not sure about pricing as I'm not American, but an NVidia GTX560 or a AMD HD6870?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Example1013

Try Google? 

Actually, go to TechSpot. They do performance tests on all the major PC releases, and release results for a wide range of graphics cards, from the brand new high-end cards all the way down to the low-end models. They also have buying guides and things like that. 

I'd recommend Tested as well, but I think Techspot just sort of has the graphics card thing pretty cornered with simply the volume of info they have. 

This article might be helpful. I haven't read through the whole thing, but the guys there are almost always extremely thorough. 

EDIT: Sorry, since I didn't read the article I didn't realize it wouldn't be that helpful. Probably try this one.  

They should both provide useful breakdowns. Also, the prices are probably at least a little lower than as listed, because the articles are a bit older. 

2ND EDIT: If you click on the name of a specific graphics card, it brings you to an in-depth review. Which will be a very thorough evaluation of performance.

playastation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By playastation

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

Here you go sir.

The gtx 570 is actually on sale for 299 canadian here:
 http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX32319%28ME%29.aspx

but take a look at the benchmarks and explore prices. the 570 is great.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Example1013
@playastation: My links are better, because they come with analysis.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlexW00d
@example1013 said:
" @playastation: My links are better, because they come with analysis. "
Your links are out of date dude. Says nothing on the new GTX500 series or the HD6000 series.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Example1013
@AlexW00d said:
" @example1013 said:
Your links are out of date dude. Says nothing on the new GTX500 series or the HD6000 series. "
I know that, but that's irrelevant, since those are high-end cards, and this guy is looking for one in the sub-$250 range.
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hicks91

It works out cheaper to not incrementally upgrade your pc and just save and buy a new one every 5 or so years 
this is from experience you get a better deal over all

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By veektarius
@example1013:  It's true that I feel the newest hardware is overkill for anything I would do with it.  Old links are probably fine but I'll do my best to comment more substantially once I've had a chance to examine the links provided. 

Thanks to all who replied.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexW00d
@example1013 said:
" @AlexW00d said:
" @example1013 said:
Your links are out of date dude. Says nothing on the new GTX500 series or the HD6000 series. "
I know that, but that's irrelevant, since those are high-end cards, and this guy is looking for one in the sub-$250 range. "
I know; 460s, 560s, HD6870s and 5870s are all around $220-$250 on Newegg.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Example1013
@AlexW00d said:

" @example1013 said:

Okay, fine. I get your point, since there are some cheaper ones. How's this one

Obviously that's for an entire PC, but the graphics section is still relevant. 

EDIT: the link I posted specifically addresses the 560 and 6870, which is really the important part, if the OP were looking for info on those two. The 460 and 5870 are covered in the first link I posted (albeit at outdated prices). 

Let me be clear: 

The prices in the articles i linked to in my first post are extremely out of date.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexW00d
@example1013 said:

" @AlexW00d said:

" @example1013 said:
Okay, fine. I get your point, since there are some cheaper ones. How's this one?  Obviously that's for an entire PC, but the graphics section is still relevant. "
If I am right in think $250 is average pricing then yeah that seems a good link. I quite like Geno's PC building thread that is stickied in the PC section of this Forum tbh.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Example1013
@AlexW00d: The only reason I'm recommending the TechSpot article is because of the reviews. They do in-house benchmarks and provide thorough reviews with solid methodology.
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By veektarius

I've looked at the links you guys have provided and my general conclusion is, rather than getting a high performance card from a couple generations back, you guys are suggesting a midrange card from this generation.  Do you really think that's the right way to go?  For example, when reading reviews of a GTX 460 I hear people talking about how it can't handle Crysis at full settings, while others say that a GTX 280 can.  What does a more current midrange card have over a slightly older top of the line card? 

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By captain_clayman

just get a 560, or a 570 if you can find one cheap enough

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlexW00d
@Veektarius said:
" I've looked at the links you guys have provided and my general conclusion is, rather than getting a high performance card from a couple generations back, you guys are suggesting a midrange card from this generation.  Do you really think that's the right way to go?  For example, when reading reviews of a GTX 460 I hear people talking about how it can't handle Crysis at full settings, while others say that a GTX 280 can.  What does a more current midrange card have over a slightly older top of the line card?  "
A 460 isn't worth it any more, unless you get two and SLI. Just go for a 560 or a 6870. I know full well the 6870 can run Crysis maxed. Maybe not with 60fps but at a playable rate nonetheless. You'd be silly to not get a DX11 card as most games from now on will start using it much more.