#1 Posted by Stradimus (64 posts) -

Greetings fellow GiantBombers! I have been seriously considering doing some vlogging about gaming stuff but I don't want to be one of the many "special individuals" who upload raw video. Because of this, I want to get some half way decent and cheaper video editing software. I'm looking for something that is newbie friendly and really only need the basics to start. Knowing how many of you are probably pretty good with the stuff, I thought I would bring it to you all to see what you thought. With that, thoughts?

#3 Edited by cmpLtNOOb (190 posts) -

@stradimus:

If you are really looking for just the basics, there are a lot of free options available like Windows Movie Maker and Pinnacle VideoSpin. Give any of them a shot to see if the video files you will be working with are compatible.

I hear Windows Live Movie Maker is a lot more robust than the piece of junk that comes installed on most Windows computers. It's also free but you have to download it.

If you find you have to transcode the file type, you can use Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip. Both free.

Sony Vegas is fairly inexpensive compared to the big brands (Final Cut, Avid, and Adobe Premiere), but used a lot, so that's probably one of your best options for low-cost software.

If you want to go back in time to 2005, Adobe stopped running their servers for Creative Suite CS2 recently, and they have posted links to the software, along with serial numbers.

http://www.techspot.com/news/51316-adobe-offering-creative-suite-2-for-free-but-they-didnt-mean-to.html

Technically, it's stealing, but no one paying attention anymore so...

I hope any of this helps!

#4 Posted by Stradimus (64 posts) -
#5 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (944 posts) -

Are you a student? If so, Adobe might have some nice deals like Production Premium CS6 (has Premiere, After Effects, Flash, Photoshop, Audition and few more programs). Pro stuff.

However, if it is "easy at the get go" that you want, Sony Vegas products are good choices.

#6 Edited by kkotd (290 posts) -

As has been said plenty of times already, Sony Vegas. I use it both to edit my videos and the videos of the YT network I work for, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it can tangle with the best of them. Only downsides, mp4 and avi support can be iffy, but you can fix this with Yamb or Oxelon Media Converter, both are free. And there are tons of Youtube videos up showing you what settings to set before using them.

#7 Posted by Stradimus (64 posts) -

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will try some of the free stuff (because I'm cheap) first and then possibly look at the Sony Vegas software. You all seem to be overwhelmingly in support of that product.