#1 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

I'm just wondering if there are any programmers and/or artists and animators in Toronto....and if so, what do you guys think about the lack of video game companies (including indie)? If you had a chance to join and collaborate on a project, would you? We need to promote more video game companies in tdot imo.

#2 Posted by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -

Toronto has plenty of devs, like Ubisoft, Rockstar, Longbow, Capy, Blammo!, etc. Mostly app and mobile game devs, but there are a lot of devs here, especially considering how many Canadian devs are in BC or Montreal.

#3 Edited by mellotronrules (1192 posts) -
#4 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

I just mean compared to the US, there aren't that many and the majority of them are in Montreal.

#5 Edited by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Toronto is doing just fine.

#6 Posted by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -

I just mean compared to the US, there aren't that many and the majority of them are in Montreal.

Well that's natural, the US has like 10x the population of Canada. And like you said, the majority of jobs are up in Montreal, which means there isn't as much of a demand here. Under those circumstances, Toronto is doing really quite well.

#7 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

@isupergameri said:

Canada has a population of about 30 million, and the US has a population of about 300 million.

#8 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

Well obviously comparing a single city to the entire US is pointless, especially when you consider we have way less population in Canada as a whole. But Toronto is still one of the best choices after Montreal and Vancouver. There are actually a LOT of devs there, they have nothing to be envious about.

#9 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

Answer: Location and population.

#10 Edited by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

Yes, I realize the population is a major factor (I live in Toronto); however, even then, most interest is in Montreal and I think that is a negative for Toronto - just my opinion.

#11 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

On another note, are there any GiantBomber's that are artists/animators and/or programmers in Toronto looking for work?

#12 Posted by mosespippy (4185 posts) -

Another factor is government subsidies or tax incentives. Lots of provincial governments offer them. The large number of developers in Montreal would suggest that Quebec has the best government support, so that's where the jobs are going. I remember that Rockstar closed their Vancouver office and opened a second Southern Ontario office simply because Ontario was making them a better offer than BC.

I'm in Newfoundland and I know we have some government support (you pay salaries and then we'll pay you back at the end of the year) but it's not generating much in terms of jobs. The only person I know in development just left to move to Calgary.