Video Game Magazines Not the Only Print News Taking a Beating.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By End_Boss

Whether it's because of our current economic downturn (financial crisis, recession, etc.) or simply print becoming an obsolete medium for news, several newspapers have announced a downsizing or outright closure of their publications. CNN's got the dirt.

Is there still a place for print news in today's world? As a journalist-in-training, I want to believe there is, but I can only see it becoming more of a rarity in the future. Post your thoughts.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Drebin_893

Do you mean our current economic downturn?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

Oh you mean the war economy?

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Drebin_893

Oh, so the current financial slump?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By OmegaPirate

The recession

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Drebin_893

Our global economic crisis?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By End_Boss

This is so where I wanted this thread to go.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wolverine

Print media will collapse very soon but I still thing that there will be jobs for young journalists like yourself. People are willing to pay money for well written media, I just think you might be reading your newspaper on a Kindle instead of on paper.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By brukaoru

I think it will decline drastically. I don't think jobs are going to go away though, journalists will still be needed for various journalist publications online. Jobs will be lost in the print field, but online jobs opening will probably maintain the level of employment... Or one can hope.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Drebin_893

Awww, I'm so sad that didn't carry on =[

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ

Yeah, its really sad because the Seattle PI had some great Seahawks reporters. I miss them.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo

Not sure if Cosmopolitan will ever die out. It's just too awesome seeing those cheesy sex-related lines while waiting in a grocery store line.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By maxszy

Here in my city the Seattle Post-Intelligencer closed its print doors about a week ago. We still have the Seattle Times but the Intelligencer was the original paper in the city and was a good paper no less.

I did amateur journalism for four years. My last two years of high school and my first two of college. What I realized is that yes, sadly the print medium of news is going away. Though quality writing and quality news will and is a welcomed thing on the internet. Perhaps scarce and few and far between but it exists.

So I wouldn't be afraid of your aspirations of being a journalist going away, more that the medium in which I assume you are learning (paper) will not be the medium in which you end up making a living at, if journalism becomes that.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By unsolvedparadox
I think print publications will have to become more of a niche, premium product while readers consume the vast majority of their "regular" reading (news, weather and so on) digitally.

Maxszy
said:
"So I wouldn't be afraid of your aspirations of being a journalist going away, more that the medium in which I assume you are learning (paper) will not be the medium in which you end up making a living at, if journalism becomes that."

Very well said!