#1 Edited by Mike_Sandbag (40 posts) -

Hey GiantBomb forum-goers,

It's been a hobby of mine to draw caricatures of various video game characters (as well as other forms of media, like anime or cartoons) in a style reminiscent of The Powerpuff Girls.

Bear with me. I hope you're still reading. Because if nothing else, these Puffs will make you smile to yourself. I've been doing these off and on for a few years now, and I'm proud of them, so I thought I should share them with people who may get a little enjoyment out of them as well. I'll try to post a new one every day on my Tumblr account (puffpuffs.tumblr.com). On there you'll find characters from The Legend of Zelda, Phoenix Wright, Pokemon, and a lot more, including of course Persona 4 (and Persona 3). So if you like what you see, let me know. It's always nice to hear feedback. And if you happen to have a Tumblr, feel free to follow and/or reblog any Puffs you like.

EDIT: Now I have over 25 Puffs!

Thanks for reading,

Mike @ puffpuffs.tumblr.com

#2 Edited by TruthTellah (8534 posts) -

Aw, at first, I thought you were making a thread about the many videogame enemies named "Puff"s over the years.

My favorite, of course, would have to be the rare Pink Puffs from Final Fantasy IV(2 in US).

[Also, cute interpretations! I like Solid Snake.]

#3 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2119 posts) -

@Mike_Sandbag said:

Hey GiantBomb forum-goers,

It's been a hobby of mine to draw caricatures of various video game characters (as well as other forms of media, like anime or cartoons) in a style reminiscent of The Powerpuff Girls.

Bear with me. I hope you're still reading. Because if nothing else, these Puffs will make you smile to yourself. I've been doing these off and on for a few years now, and I'm proud of them, so I thought I should share them with people who may get a little enjoyment out of them as well. I'll try to post a new one every day on my Tumblr account (puffpuffs.tumblr.com). As of this post, I have four: Link, Solid Snake, Phoenix Wright, and Red (Pokemon Trainer). I have plans to upload/make characters from all sorts of games, including of course Persona 4. So if you like what you see, let me know. It's always nice to hear feedback. And if you happen to have a Tumblr, feel free to follow and/or reblog any Puffs you like.

Thanks for reading,

Mike @ puffpuffs.tumblr.com

Thats better.

Awesome job BTW. I especially like the Snake one.

#4 Posted by Xeiphyer (5594 posts) -

They look pretty awesome! 

Though they'd look nicer in my opinion if you didn't have the jaggy pixel edges on everything. Up to you if its just a style thing you want though.

I just gave it a really (Really) quick smooth and adjusted saturation slightly to make it a bit brighter after the smoothing to see what it'd look like. I see I missed a few spots haha, I didn't want to just smooth over the entire image or else some of the finer details would get more muddled (See: shoes).  I dunno, I like smooth lines, looks more like the show too. Though obviously it'd be ideal if it looked better than my version. I didn't have my tablet hooked up so I couldn't fandangle it nicely.
#5 Posted by Winternet (8005 posts) -

AAHHH a tumblr link!

#6 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

@Winternet said:

AAHHH a tumblr link!

MAKE IT GO AWAY

#7 Posted by Cheesebob (1231 posts) -

I thought this was going to be homophobic.

I am dissapointed

#8 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3105 posts) -

PowerPuffPuffPass.

I apologize for that.

#9 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Oh, you mean chibi.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (35995 posts) -

@Mike_Sandbag said:

I have plans to upload/make characters from all sorts of games, including of course Persona 4.

Wouldn't that just mean giving Buttercup brown hair and calling her Chie? Or would they all be Nanako?

#11 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Mike_Sandbag: If I'm not mistaken those are called "chibis". Yup, wikipedia agrees.

#12 Posted by Mike_Sandbag (40 posts) -

I've added a few more Puffs since I made this topic, so please check them out! :) Thanks to anyone and everyone that takes a look!

@Xeiphyer said:

They look pretty awesome!

Though they'd look nicer in my opinion if you didn't have the jaggy pixel edges on everything. Up to you if its just a style thing you want though.

Thank you! And I see your point, but I only have MS Paint to work with, so the jagged lines are just part of the style I guess.

@Canteu said:

Oh, you mean chibi.

@Vodun said:

@Mike_Sandbag: If I'm not mistaken those are called "chibis". Yup, wikipedia agrees.

While you two may technically be right, the style's really more reminiscent of the old Cartoon Network show, The Powerpuff Girls. Though they were inherently "chibi" by definition of "big-eyed and small-bodied." So everyone wins. :)

#13 Posted by Bayonetta_ (37 posts) -

Very adorable. Followed your Tumblr.

#14 Posted by Deathdealer108 (290 posts) -

I like them, keep up the good work. Especially if you enjoy doing it. Also, thank you for making Katniss from The Hunger Games the right skin, eye and hair color. I know you read the book!

#15 Posted by Mike_Sandbag (40 posts) -

It's been about a week since this thread got a reply and that means at least 7 more Puffs to see. So please come check it out! There's some more Persona, Pokemon, Ace Attorney, not to mention a little Disney and Hotel Dusk. Yes, Hotel Dusk. :)

@Bayonetta_ said:

Very adorable. Followed your Tumblr.

Awesome, thank you! :)

@Deathdealer108: Yep! Definitely read the book! And thanks for the compliment. :)

#16 Posted by StealthRaptor (526 posts) -

What, no Vinny?

#17 Posted by Mike_Sandbag (40 posts) -

@StealthRaptor: Haha, I've considered making Puffs of the Giant Bomb crew...

Also, it's been another week or so and I have new Puffs, including Chie! I just uploaded her today, so check her out!

#18 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Neat, but I thought this was going to be about cereal.

#19 Posted by vorpalparasite (274 posts) -

those are pretty cool, keep it up!

#20 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

This are awesome! They get the approval of SexyToad. Actually you should do one of toad... Just an idea also what is your profile pic? Looks like naked anime... Not that I ever seen some.

#21 Posted by CaptainCharisma (339 posts) -

Really like that Maya one. Cool stuff!

#22 Posted by ESREVER (2669 posts) -

Yosuke Puff is my fav. Love the tiny headphones around his neck.

#23 Posted by Mike_Sandbag (40 posts) -

Hey, thanks for the comments! :) Glad Maya and Yosuke got some love. It's been about 3 weeks since I posted last, which means 21 new Puffs, including Yukiko and Kanji from Persona 4, more Ace Attorney characters, some Pokemon Gym Leaders, Tales of Symphonia people, and Marty McFly from Back to the Future and more!

Check them out! :)

#24 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

Heh. I like how you included a B&W version of Kyle Hyde. :)

#25 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

oh i thought htis thread said Video game Poofs ..

#26 Posted by Agrammon (91 posts) -

@Mike_Sandbag: Awww, so cute. I especially like the MGS one. Keep up the good work mein kollege!

#27 Posted by yoshisaur (2639 posts) -

I totally came in here expecting a Video Game branded Cereal.

#28 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Thought this would be about nips.

#29 Posted by Jeust (10473 posts) -

Pretty cool artwork man :)