• 187 results
#151 Edited by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

@humanity: Alright, scratch the part about some random person buying the book - that's pretty weird as well - but there was a lot more to my post, though. You seem to just focus on that tiny part, once again call me irrational and then bail.

Please, what the fuck would you, even as a fan of Vinny, want with this book?

#152 Edited by Humanity (9054 posts) -

@sharkethic said:

@humanity: Alright, scratch the part about some random person buying the book - that's pretty weird as well - but there was a lot more to my post, though. You seem to just focus on that tiny part, once again call me irrational and then bail.

Please, what the fuck would you, even as a fan of Vinny, want with this book?

I wouldn't want anything with it personally. But if Vinny made it publicly available then I can only assume he foresaw the possibility that random strangers would be able to download it and didn't have a problem with it. It's not much unlike buying the biography of a celebrity - I mean why does anyone want to know anything about a "strangers" life.

#153 Posted by Freshbandito (681 posts) -

@sharkethic: Not agreeing with you, not disagreeing with you. Only wanted to ask you to calm down, count to ten and stop over reacting, you're scaring me and the kids dammit!

I think that's a really sweet wedding favour and I'd certainly be tempted to do something similar. Not gonna touch the D'aaaawwww vs. Creepy argument with a 10 foot pole though, no Sir.

#154 Posted by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

@humanity: My point exactly, though, I find this way more personal than i biography - hence me finding people buying it so creepy. If I had to guess, I'd say Vinny was of the mindset of "Why would people that don't know me or Jessica buy this?" when publishing the book...not "Better make a couple of extra copies for the fans, huh Jess?!". Meh, what the fuck do I know?

#155 Posted by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

@freshbandito: Don't tell me to calm down, I'm perfectly fucking calm, so shut your fucking mouth OR I'LL KILL YOU AND THE FUCKING KIDS!!11!1!!!

Seriously though, totally calm and collected over here. Just finding the whole thing creepy, is all.

#156 Posted by MachoFantastico (4619 posts) -

That's awesome, and a super cool idea for a wedding gift/favor.

#157 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

@sharkethic: I don't know either so I won't push this argument any further than it should go. I understand and respect your arguments although I may not agree with all of them.

#158 Posted by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -
#159 Posted by HatKing (5886 posts) -

I remember this, but I didn't have anything to say about it back then.

Either.

#160 Posted by Freshbandito (681 posts) -

@sharkethic: Fair enough, can definitely see your point. I think it verges on a bit of either side for me, can see how someone who supports giant bomb and is a big fan of Vinny could see it as a piece of Vinny content before considering the personal nature of the book. But as has been said it's a thing they made for friends and family for a wedding ceremony regardless of if it's available on a site that the average duder can purchase from and that to me is a bit weird for someone to purchase a copy of a book filled with personal stories from the Caravella's friends and family. It could shake out either way for me depending on the intent of the purchaser, modern internet times are weird and I'm getting too old to understand this shit...

Dammit I said I wouldn't get involved in the discussion!

#161 Posted by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

@freshbandito: Taking both sides isn't exactly getting involved there, Switzerland!;)

#162 Posted by Freshbandito (681 posts) -

@sharkethic: I may or may not agree with that statement and my stance is that I might announce my official lack of strong feelings one way or the other.

#163 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1117 posts) -

Vinny was about to get upstaged by a biker showing his toilet results to Jessie...how on...?

#164 Edited by Rapid (1359 posts) -

I only read Vinny and Rich Gallup's entries but that's an awesome idea for a wedding favour and touching.

#165 Posted by Xeiphyer (5602 posts) -

Yep that's him. There was a thread about it a year or two ago. I believe his wife wrote it and he drew the pictures?

#166 Edited by hermes (1415 posts) -

The book says "November 2009, New York"

Doesn't that invalidate the theory? He was in San Francisco at the time...

Wait... Vinny did got married in 11/2009. This is real !

EDIT: Ok, this was kind of cute. Some of the stories are pretty heartwarming... and I couldn't stop reading Vinny's chapter using his voice.

#167 Edited by KatyGaGa (285 posts) -

oh my god, that is amazing. before I clicked the link, I thought it would be something like "Can I borrow a feeling?" with a awkward photo of Vinny on the cover.

#168 Posted by jArmAhead (261 posts) -

@sharkethic: Stories of love have been shared since the first story was ever shared, so stop being a weirdo who hates feelings. Seriously though, you can think it's weird or creepy all you want that people enjoy that this exists out there, but there's no need to act like it's crazy for anyone out there to have a different point of view.

If they wanted it to be private, it'd be private. You all need to get out of your homes. Most people aren't paranoid and scared of people knowing things like "I love my wife" and "it's hilarious how I used to dress back in the 80's."

Oh, and no one is salivating. It's cute. People like cute things. If it was by "Anonymous," how different do you really think it would be? You're blowing this way out of proportion.

People who think it's creepy to have a gentle curiosity about this must be the type of people who hate when there's a record of their presence and behavior in a public place. OH KNOW UNCLE SAM KNOWS YOU WERE AT THE DQ AT 3PM WITH 50 OTHER PEOPLE WHO SAW YOU. UH OH THE CIA KNOWS THAT VINNY IS MARRIED HAPPILY. Y'all are nuts and need to loosen up. You're just jealous you don't like someone enough to share it with the world.

Trust me, people do creepy things out of internet fandom, and this is not one of them.

The internet sure is full of some uptight ass people these days. Or maybe you're all just hermits.

#169 Posted by RonGalaxy (3124 posts) -

I dont understand. If its wrong to buy it, then why is it for sale some where? I wouldnt buy it, but I dont understand why it would be weird for vinny if he is letting it be sold to people (unless he isnt aware or something?)

#170 Posted by EchoEcho (822 posts) -

@naru_joe93: Not commenting on whether or not it's "wrong", but somewhere in the thread somebody posted a tweet from Vinny saying they put the book up for sale so that friends and family who couldn't make it to the wedding could still get a copy. But the fact that it's years later and the book is still up for sale probably means they weren't terribly worried about the occasional random person finding it.

#171 Posted by MormonWarrior (2576 posts) -

He's a public figure, and we as humans tend to be fascinated by other people and want to learn more. If Vinny and his wife wanted this to be private, they would have made it so a long time ago. Or politely asked people to not order it.

I mean, the average non-tabloid celebrity magazine has far more prying, personal and technically creepy stuff in it than this nice little heartfelt look into the personal life of somebody we legitimately care about and listen to on a regular basis. I'm not gonna buy a copy, but I don't think it's automatically wrong to do so.

Also, nice bumped thread. I somehow missed this years ago.

#172 Posted by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

@jarmahead: It's always fun to see someone rant for 5 paragraphs about respecting different points of views, yet at the same time call people hermits, uptight and nuts for not sharing his.

#173 Edited by OmegaRadium (60 posts) -

Wow, I had no idea. It really is Vinny!

#174 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (407 posts) -

" I had no idea the kid with the shiny club shirts and thick Long Island accent would become my best friend"

D'awww :)

#175 Edited by TruthTellah (8800 posts) -

To be honest, this is a little creepy, and for a fan to -buy- the book is way creepy. I looked at it out of curiosity, and while suuuuuuuuuuper cute and amazing, it is kind of weird to be peering this much into a personal thing they probably just made for family and friends.

If Vinny's cool with it, cool, but I could absolutely understand him responding to this thread with, "Uh, you duders crossed a bit of a line here. Please respect my privacy a little more."

#176 Posted by ThunderSlash (1685 posts) -

There needs to be an addendum to Vinny's section: "... and then I played the Souls series of games."

#177 Posted by Cronus42 (275 posts) -

@rapid: Whoa whoa whoa wait. You're telling me Rich Gallup has a section in this thing too? Holy shit that's kinda awesome.

#178 Posted by flameboy84 (174 posts) -

I find it weird that the preview displays the entire book..

#179 Edited by Brackynews (4063 posts) -

This could almost be a good discussion on the broader cult of personality that surrounds Giant Bomb, but looks like we're not getting there yet.

@hermes: You seem to have forgotten more about it than I have. :) Yes it's his. I kindof don't understand how people could be doubtful. I believe Bradley also went to NY for the ceremony (beast coasters and whatnot), but I forget who else.

@flameboy84: That's just the default setting in Blurb. To display a selective preview you have to manually choose each page.

#180 Edited by Rapid (1359 posts) -

@cronus42 said:

@rapid: Whoa whoa whoa wait. You're telling me Rich Gallup has a section in this thing too? Holy shit that's kinda awesome.

Yeah, The entire book is pre-viewable. Click preview then full screen (or like that other user, buy the book if you're that inclined =P)

#181 Edited by GaspoweR (2960 posts) -

Aw man how could I have missed this?! I really like the illustrations Vinny did on each page. Just going through a few pages on the preview and not really reading it just skimming.

Also it's only creepy when you make it creepy or think it's creepy. I think the fact that they turned it into a book is really endearing.

#182 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

Haha, creeps, man, fuckin' creeps.

#183 Edited by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -
@gaspower said:

Aw man how could I have missed this?! I really like the illustrations Vinny did on each page. Just going through a few pages on the preview and not really reading it just skimming.

Also it's only creepy when you make it creepy or think it's creepy. I think the fact that they turned it into a book is really endearing.

Don't think anyone is arguing over whether or not it's creepy that Vinny and his wife wrote a book celebrating their love (the general consensus is that the book is adorable as fuck). The argument is about whether or not it's creepy for random GiantBomb duders to buy it.

#184 Posted by PoToSkull (104 posts) -

Waiting for a thread about someone finding Patrick's wedding book, and having a reader buy it. Then other readers discuss whether or it not is "right" or "wrong" to be reading a private book sold on the internet....oh wait.

#185 Posted by GaspoweR (2960 posts) -

@gaspower said:

Don't think anyone is arguing over whether or not it's creepy that Vinny and his wife wrote a book celebrating their love (the general consensus is that the book is adorable as fuck). The argument is about whether or not it's creepy for random GiantBomb duders to buy it.

Yeah and we are in agreement with that. It was a mistake on my part to have mentioned the part that its endearing right after so it came off as if I'm questioning the books creation to be creepy. I should have structured that paragraph better beforehand. I apologize for the confusion.

#186 Posted by RedRoach (1191 posts) -

God dammit, this is weird. There's probably a reason Vinny has never talked about it, it was probably made for family and friends. These people have private lives people, stay out of it.

#187 Edited by crimsonlordofwar (140 posts) -

@humanity said:

I mean if it's public domain available for anyone that might stumble upon it then why would it be creepy?

EDIT: Oh only two posts up someone asks that same question and gets a completely irrational response, gotcha, moving on.

The guy buying the book isn't too weird(before finding out what it was) it's the level of detail and research that went into it that I find to be......interestingly alarming.