Virg Bernero Came Today

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By JauntyHat

Just got back from Virg Bernero's (the Mayor of Lansing and a Democratic candidate for Governor) meet and greet at my college campus. He seems like he means well for our State, but then again, what politician doesn't try to get that across? From what I've heard beforehand it sounded like he practices a very Chicago style of politics, he does what he needs to do to get the job done and since he's the boss what he says goes. Personally I have no problem with this, probably because I myself grew up in Chicago under Daley's reign and don't mind the direction in which the city is coming from. I'm tired of  the politicians trying to be your drinking buddy or dumbing themselves down in order to get the votes they need. I want someone who knows what they're doing and has the balls to get their legislation through. 

I'm a little iffy on his stance that production needs to come back to Michigan in order for it to prosper again. That's kind of a cop-out answer if you ask me. In order for ANY economy to prosper it needs to produce.  Another issue I had was his apparent stance that cars are the future for Michigan; yes, cars will still be around in 50 years and yes we have the ability to make them still...but do we need to fall back on that crutch? Cars aren't a local business anymore, competition is kicking our asses and we're going to go back and rely on making cars? It doesn't matter if they're better, more efficient, and sturdy cars, you can NOT rely on a single product anymore. He simply brushed away the fact that we need more public transportation in Michigan too. Trains and buses need to become a staple of our State in my opinion, if we can build that commuting mindset we'll have more people coming in and going places in Michigan than being stuck in a small town with gas at $4.00 a gallon where there's no business. In order for our economy to grow we need to get out of this small town mindset here, we need people to go places and explore the rest of the State, and we can't do that without a proper transportation system....

Overall though he seems like a good candidate to support for the Democrats. He's a mid-left candidate and he's preaching support for Education and Businesses at the same time. He just needs to stop pandering to the old crowd and get with the times.

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JauntyHat

Just got back from Virg Bernero's (the Mayor of Lansing and a Democratic candidate for Governor) meet and greet at my college campus. He seems like he means well for our State, but then again, what politician doesn't try to get that across? From what I've heard beforehand it sounded like he practices a very Chicago style of politics, he does what he needs to do to get the job done and since he's the boss what he says goes. Personally I have no problem with this, probably because I myself grew up in Chicago under Daley's reign and don't mind the direction in which the city is coming from. I'm tired of  the politicians trying to be your drinking buddy or dumbing themselves down in order to get the votes they need. I want someone who knows what they're doing and has the balls to get their legislation through. 

I'm a little iffy on his stance that production needs to come back to Michigan in order for it to prosper again. That's kind of a cop-out answer if you ask me. In order for ANY economy to prosper it needs to produce.  Another issue I had was his apparent stance that cars are the future for Michigan; yes, cars will still be around in 50 years and yes we have the ability to make them still...but do we need to fall back on that crutch? Cars aren't a local business anymore, competition is kicking our asses and we're going to go back and rely on making cars? It doesn't matter if they're better, more efficient, and sturdy cars, you can NOT rely on a single product anymore. He simply brushed away the fact that we need more public transportation in Michigan too. Trains and buses need to become a staple of our State in my opinion, if we can build that commuting mindset we'll have more people coming in and going places in Michigan than being stuck in a small town with gas at $4.00 a gallon where there's no business. In order for our economy to grow we need to get out of this small town mindset here, we need people to go places and explore the rest of the State, and we can't do that without a proper transportation system....

Overall though he seems like a good candidate to support for the Democrats. He's a mid-left candidate and he's preaching support for Education and Businesses at the same time. He just needs to stop pandering to the old crowd and get with the times.