#1 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -

I'm visiting NYC for the first time with my brother this Christmas. I wanted to ask you all what places we should visit or what we should do. We wanna buy the tickets for a lot of the stuff before hand because it's often cheaper that way. Of course we're gonna visit the big landmarks and the museums and stuff, but is there something you guys know that is great, but perhaps not that well known? Or maybe some concerts or shows that are happening there at that time? We're open to all kinds of suggestions!

#2 Edited by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

I accidentally found this really old and beautiful/closed to the public train station under city hall with a few of my friends. The architecture is amazing and if you go during the day, the sun will light up the entire deserted station through the stained glass. If you're interested, take the 6 train to the Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall station (the last stop, if you're heading south), but don't get off. The train will turn around the City Hall station loop, which will give you a one-of-a-kind view of the otherwise unreachable location. You can't get off, but it's still amazing to see.

Theres also the High Line, The rooftop gardens in Rockefellar and the boat graveyard in Staten. Don't know about that last one though anymore because of the hurricane.

#3 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Mushir: You do have a Blue name, but Nintendo World is a great place to visit if your into Nintendo stuff.

#4 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -

@Trainer_Red: Wow, that looks beautiful indeed! Did you take that picture?

@Hizang: Oh, thanks for reminding me man. I'll definitely check that out. Don't own any Nintendo consoles at the moment, but I'm guessing they have a lot of other stuff there besides just games.

#5 Posted by shinboy630 (1116 posts) -

The area around the tree is usually way too crowded and is, in my opinion, a waste of time. I know it's Christmas time but that is one thing I recommend you do not do.

#6 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

Let's see. Disclaimer: I'm Australian, so most of this was incredibly novel to me.

High Line, as mentioned. Go to the end and see the toasted cheese sandwich stand, which is next to the ice-cream sandwich stand. Eat at both.

Grand Central Station. Find the bit where you can whisper in one corner and it's heard in the other, then eat clam chowder. Maybe ride a train.

EAT AT DAISY MAY'S. Some of the best food I've ever had. Also, find a place with a good breakfast burrito.

Nintendo store, Sony store and Lego store are all fascinating.

Play against a guy on the street at chess. Also,, at least pass by the basketball courts, those are kind of amazing.

See if the superhero store in Brooklyn is open (it wasn't when I was there). Then look at how hipster everything seems.

Walk around Queens, especially near the Apollo theatre. It's a really nice area.

Visit the 9/11 memorial (very well done self-guided tour) and the top of the Empire State Building (a bit of a cheesier self-guided tour).

Finally, ask what's what. I hear he knows the area.

#7 Posted by RobotHamster (4156 posts) -

I go to New York every now and then. I used to live in Queens and I'm now in Jersey, and my brother just moved to the lower east side, so other than the usually attractions I'd say just walk around, get lost a bit and see what you discover! You'll find a bunch of great stores and places to eat on side streets and while still expensive a lot cheaper than the rest of the city.

#8 Edited by medacris (611 posts) -
  • Nintendo Store, as mentioned earlier.
  • I'd also suggest the original Nathan's, but I wouldn't go to Coney Island in the winter.
  • MoMa, because they have Edvard Munch's "The Scream" displayed for a limited time.
  • The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Don't let anyone tell you it's boring, because it's not.
  • See The Lion King on Broadway. I'd love to see Wicked too, but it's always booked.
  • Dylan's Candy Bar, a huge candy store run by Ralph Lauren's daughter.
  • A Friendly's. Go drink a Fribble (their signature milkshake) there.
#9 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1868 posts) -

Third'd on the High Line. It's a nice walk downtown and midtown and gives you a great view of various parts of the area; it's a also viewing distance from the Hudson River end of Manhattan!

Also, for food, you must especially find your way to 53rd and 6th in Midtown and get the Halaal chicken over rice from the food carts there. Inundate it in the white sauce, too. It's the most delicious food cart I've ever eaten from and it's especially filling.

#10 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Say hi to ?uestlove for me

#11 Posted by Seppli (9735 posts) -

Take me to your finest eatery and brothel - New Yorkers! Also - somebody get me some good weed.