Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Visitor Ultimatum - Reduce Global Population by 99% in a 100 Years or Be Destroyed! What would happen? (164 votes)

Humanity would control procreation, and comply peacefully. 2%
Humanity would fall into turmoil over the ultimatium, fail to comply, and be destroyed. 25%
Humanity would be ravaged by perpetual destructive war, and wipe itself out on its own. 16%
Humanity would defy the visitors, and prepare for their return. Prepare for war. 48%
Humanity would master instellar travel, and comply by mass-trekking to the stars. 4%
Humanity would *other brother*. 5%

Scenario: Visitors come to Earth, irrefutably demonstrate their god-like powers to every human on the planet, set their ultimatum, and then leave us to our own devices.

What would happen?

#1 Edited by Jimbo (9869 posts) -

What do humans usually do about threats that exist outside of their own life expectancy? Fuck all.

#2 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

I think it'd be pure anarchy, and I have no idea what it would actually look like. I'm sure people would retreat into their bomb-shelters while murderous rampages were going on up-top.

I bet the first generation would try to talk it out with the visitors, or try in any humane way to comply peacefully, because they'll be dead before a hundred years. The back-half of that would get more desperate and insane though.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (9313 posts) -

Humanity would fight a bit and then come together in time to fight the "visitor", 300 style.

Even if they couldn't win, they would show the universe that a visitor-king can bleed!

This would be the last grand gasp of humanity!

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt94/les_daniels6/1192728811783.gif

#4 Posted by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

It would be a gross underestimation of the aliens to give us a hundred years. Whatever technology they'd demonstrate that would give them the power to make that ultimatum would lead to a long bloody war. Once we know it's possible you bet believe we'd try to match their tech and prepare for intergalactic war.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'd simply go back to my castle and have a good laugh about the amazing prank I pulled on you guys.

#7 Edited by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -

I'd negotiate a 500 year term rather than 100. 100 would require sacrifice of the living, whereas 500 could be controlled. There will have to be some brutal moments, primarily when someone has been found to have broken the procreation rule and be put to death. If they have enough children it may become necessary to put the children to death as well. A sad state of affairs imposed on us by our insect overlords.

I would also ask the insect overlords if they have any technology that might help us control our global population. I would then hand this technology over to our scientists to discover if we can unlock the mystery of their godlike powers and fight them. Mankind has no masters but mankind.

Ultimately if the aliens are straight practical, they would merely kidnap or lure 1% of the population into liveships, and then spread a human-specific designer virus on earth to destroy the human population. Then give the 1% the antibodies to defend against it (and the genetic code for it to pass onto their children) and then reseed them on the Earth. It stands to question what these aliens get out of these exercises. Perhaps it's an ant colony experiment, only with sentient mammalian creatures.

#8 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2026 posts) -

I think most people would refuse to believe it and claim it was just a way for governments to exert power over people.

#10 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Over population is a problem, with improved health care people are living way too long, we are growing to big for this planet considering industrialization has really only happened over the last 150 years a small spec in the timeline of this planet.

#11 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Over population is a problem, with improved health care people are living way too long, we are growing to big for this planet considering industrialization has really only happened over the last 150 years a small spec in the timeline of this planet.

#12 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2894 posts) -

The point that needs to be brought up is that aliens WOULD NOT CARE what we did to one planet. If we started mining every single planet, moon, asteroid, and gas cloud in our solar system...they still wouldn't care. If we dropped a nova-bomb on every sun on the spiral arm Sol sits on in this galaxy, then maybe aliens would start caring. Doing signification destruction to something like a spiral arm of a whole galaxy would matter, but too many people on one planet isn't a threat, isn't a ripple, isn't important to anyone but us.

Interstellar travel isn't easy, cheap or fast. I don't care how alien their mindset is, how odd you think their motivations, aliens just would not care (if they could even care) because we are about as significant as an single atom in a single cell on a single finger nail on your hand.

#13 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2894 posts) -

The point that needs to be brought up is that aliens WOULD NOT CARE what we did to one planet. If we started mining every single planet, moon, asteroid, and gas cloud in our solar system...they still wouldn't care. If we dropped a nova-bomb on every sun on the spiral arm Sol sits on in this galaxy, then maybe aliens would start caring. Doing signification destruction to something like a spiral arm of a whole galaxy would matter, but too many people on one planet isn't a threat, isn't a ripple, isn't important to anyone but us.

Interstellar travel isn't easy, cheap or fast. I don't care how alien their mindset is, how odd you think their motivations, aliens just would not care (if they could even care) because we are about as significant as an single atom in a single cell on a single finger nail on your hand.

#14 Edited by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

@monkeyking1969: Of course they would care, As far as we know.. habitable planets are extremely rare, every planet capable of supporting life would be worth doing anything to save, even if it may be too late to save earth at that point.

Unless you know.. outside of the milkyway, every planet in every galaxy has life.

#15 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2026 posts) -

@randomhero666: @monkeyking1969: Whether the scenario is likely or not is not relevent to the topic. It's simply a hypothetical question. You and I and everyone else on the planet have no idea what the motivations of a species of alien capable of interstellar travel would be, so no, the point does not need to be brought up.

#16 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

And also there is no negotiating, guys, that's not an option on the poll. So we have to assume that we can't make a phone-call to these visitors and ask for some spaceships.

#17 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

There are problems that humans need to address in taking care of the environment, but I do get a little sick of the gleeful way that some like to talk about exterminating our species. If people think humans need to go away then they should start with themselves.

#18 Edited by cmblasko (1282 posts) -

In the process of implementing the steps necessary to cull 99% of the population in a controlled manner, we would most likely incite such violent war among ourselves that we would reach the 1% goal in less than 100 years.

#20 Posted by LikeaSsur (1565 posts) -

I'm pretty sure humanity would die out if 99% of the population were killed, so really, we're doomed either way.

#21 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@likeassur said:

I'm pretty sure humanity would die out if 99% of the population were killed, so really, we're doomed either way.

1% of roughly 6 billion is 60 millions. That's not even remotely close to being considered an endangered species.

#22 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I would also ask the insect overlords if they have any technology that might help us control our global population. I would then hand this technology

That's quite a leap in logic. Who said they're giving it to you?

#23 Posted by Sterling (2458 posts) -

I would just grab my towel and hitch a ride out of this disaster before it was destroyed.

#25 Edited by EXTomar (4843 posts) -

This is like someone threatening: Cut off 9 of your fingers or we will cut off 10! Both options are horrific so why try to figure out which one is more viable?

At that point we might as well invest our energies and effort into figuring out how to run away or fight back.

#27 Posted by TheHT (11521 posts) -

half-life 2 would happen.

#28 Edited by fisk0 (4285 posts) -

B is the most likely scenario. Fuck, we still have people today, in relatively civilized countries who are actively trying to stop the teaching of science in schools and vaccinations against deadly or crippling diseases.

That said, current estimates state that overpopulation doesn't seem to be the future problem that we used to think it would be, I think it's projected to stabilize in around 30-40 years, so with that in mind, I doubt any aliens would spend thousands of years and incredible amounts of resources to travel here just to say that.

I would like to see them come here to force us to relocate to megacities, rather than the wasteful and environmentally disastrous global population density we have right now though.

#29 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

C sounds like the one where we just fuck up and kill ourselves, so obviously C.
We're pretty good at C

#30 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11913 posts) -

I've seen Gurren Lagann. I know how this ends. With robots chucking galaxies at each other.

#32 Posted by ZombiePie (5708 posts) -
#33 Edited by pyromagnestir (4326 posts) -

You people should put me in charge. XCOM has prepared me for this day.

I'd simply go back to my castle and have a good laugh about the amazing prank I pulled on you guys.

You mean I murdered my entire family because you wanted to have a laugh?!

You're right that was pretty funny. My family would probably think so too, if they weren't all murdered and such.

#34 Edited by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

Get Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum on the case and everything will be fine.

Welcome to erf!

#35 Edited by Levio (1784 posts) -

If the aliens care so much, why don't they do it themselves? That's what I'd say to them

#36 Edited by Levio (1784 posts) -

If the aliens care so much, why don't they do it themselves? That's what I'd say to them

#37 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

The world collectively says "I won't be alive in 100 years, who fucking cares"

#38 Edited by TheHT (11521 posts) -

@levio said:

and thus began the randomized purging of 99% of humans at the hands of the aliens. thanks.

#39 Edited by ninnanuam (284 posts) -

I'd like to think we'd come together and formulate a good way to reduce population size, hell it leave us with 60 to 70 million people, approx early ad level population, Which really doesn't seem bad (actually it seems like a substantial improvement) And it's over enough of a time that kulling wouldn't be needed. I mean almost everyone alive right now would be dead so then it's just a matter of not breeding like morons.

Problem is your irrational go forth and multiply idiots, they are already the most irrational among us and you know they will fuck it for the rest of us. So I went with option 2

#40 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (273 posts) -
#41 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

We've been stockpiling nuclear weapons for so long now, maybe it would be time to put thet to use.

Seriously we're just going to back down and cower because some fucking aliens came to our house and told us what to do? Fuck that shit! Humans are just going to do what they've done before, fight for survival.

Don't be fooled, multiplying is the goal of every species that has ever existed in the entirety of all time. It is the ultimate goal, and that's what humans will keep on doing until it's finally over and we've run out of resources to do it.

Also Will Smith and welcome to earf.

#42 Posted by Sackmanjones (4741 posts) -

So either we wipe out 99% of the people or they wipe out 100%? I see no reason not to fight the bastards!

#43 Posted by Karkarov (3181 posts) -

So either we wipe out 99% of the people or they wipe out 100%? I see no reason not to fight the bastards!

quoted for truth. These kind of scenario's are just silly.

#44 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Wasn't this the plot in an episode on The Outer Limits?

I seem to remember that they gave in on killing or giving away a certain percentile of the population, but the aliens wanted more the next time.

#45 Posted by takayamasama (442 posts) -

The Doctor would save us, we're fine