Walking Dead Season 4 Discussion Thread (Spoilers, duh)

• 102 results
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So, season 4 is upon us.

Apparently, everyone is hating the TV show; I'm digging it. Then again, I watched it this summer, so I didn't have to wait three years for not a lot of pay-off.

Anyway. Season 4. Cool start - nice nod to the disembodied head from the game. In a way, that woman was probably the most messed up thing in the series so far; that was the most helpless Rick has ever been, including his visions last season.

Based on season 3, it looks like the writers are trying to set Beth and Carl up.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By pr1mus

I stopped watching half-way through last season which says a lot about how much i was getting tired of this show because i never stop watching shows in the middle of a season. I at least see a season through just in case.

Anyway, in retrospect i don't think this show has ever been that good after the first 2-3 episodes. That first mini season was half good, half average at best. Season 2 was a complete turd save for the first and last 2 episodes. And just because the last 2 episodes were good it kept me on board for the first half of season 3.

Season 3 had the distinction of at least having stuff happen after the snooze that was season 2. None of it was good though and Andrea became such an unbearable character that i pretty much said fuck this crap. When the show came back after the mid season break i watched one more episode and that was that.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm a big Walking Dead fan but the premiere was pretty underwhelming. Hopefully it picks up. They could do something interesting with whatever the pig has and that dude in the shower. I have a feeling there's a swine flu going around or something. I bet Season 4 is going to feature a straight up epidemic in the prison.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

The show is hit and miss for me. Season one was quite enjoyable. Season 2 had a few highlights but dragged sooooooo long. Season 3 I mostly enjoyed except for a few things but overall I think that has been the best so far. The premiere was good, although it felt more like what a second episode should have been. It is setting stuff up instead of just coming out with a bang. Anyway, I will continue to watch and see how it all unfolds. Here's to hoping we don't have a season 2 on our hands.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Funkydupe

Jumping off this show now. I don't like any of the characters. I don't care what happens to them and it is all supposed to be about their survival...

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CynicalBuzzard

I liked the season 4 premiere, it may of started the 4th season off slow but I am sure things will pick up in the second episode of season 4.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think the segment with Rick and the woman was kind of hit or miss and I'm leaning more toward miss. As for Carl I'm just hoping he isn't as annoying this season and so far it looks like he wont be which is good. Beth continues to be a poor character in my mind and I really hope they either find a way to make her interesting or get rid of her.

It wasn't a great start and while it isn't close to making me stop watching I'm hoping it quickly picks up and gets better.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show is starting to get pretty damn predictable. Seems like they brought some production for the premiere, but I believe they've done that for every premiere and finale. At least they reminded us that it's not just an all intrigue show.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the same response to the new character dying as Beth did. Oh well.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

The gore seemed almost comically over the top, and that whole Rick plot seemed a bit pointless. And that bit where the woman was keeping her husband's head seemed a bit familiar of another Walking Dead product. But, hey. I'll still keep watching the show. I might not think the show is amazing, but it has its moments.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So how many black people will die this season?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By TheHT

The biggest issue I had with season 3 was how they separated it. The first half had me, but by the time the second rolled around it had lost a lot of steam, which is a shame because there are some really great moments there.

I enjoyed this episode though. It wasn't too concerned with any grand storyline, and the segments you get because of it were interesting. By no means was it particularly gripping television, but the show is just oddly relaxing, at least when it's not being annoyingly slow.

Curious about what they do with Michonne and Macon. I really don't want to see Clem or Lee in the show, but another character could be cool. Maybe Lilly?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It was so much set-up that it surprised me. I was expecting typical Walking Dead season-opener with a large portion of it being action but most of it was mostly, again, set-up for later plots that will definitely be important. They have me interested with what will happen regarding sickness and all that so I'll be tuning in next week but they are on thin ice if they don't capitalize on any of the intriguing plotlines they are developing.

Hopefully they can kill off a few characters at random and not be totally predictable this season but I doubt it.

TheStimpinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheStimpinator

Yeah the second half of last season was a struggle, I felt like they made too big a deal out of Andrea's death to try and make most people forget that they hate her. Also I was really disappointed that they left the whole Governor situation unresolved.

That being said I do like the show and if this season goes where I think it will (disease outbreak) then it might get really good again.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

My wife and I watched the premiere last night and we were both at opposite ends of the spectrum. I felt it was sorta "blah." I enjoyed the scenes with Rick and the deranged woman, but did not like how all these new characters were being thrown at us in an effort for us to care.

I'm curious to see what they have planned for this season, so I guess we'll see.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By awesomeusername

@spraynardtatum: The boy turned into a zombie & I'm pretty sure the pig was just dead. Did you not see the boys eyes when he was on the floor? The prison is getting fucked next episode, it showed it in the teaser.

As for my thoughts, it was obviously a slow start for a big upcoming problem. I knew that kid was going to die in the supermarket once he said he was going. I smelled something fishy when that crazy lady was bringing Rick to her camp. All in all, a bit boring but I'm sure it'll pay off. Looking forward to the next episode.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: Its from the a swine flu mixed with the zombie flu. He died from something that caused him to bleed out of his eyes, nose and mouth. Also you know its a new "virus" issue because of the army medical doctor. Why else did they make such a strong effort to point that out, then tease him dying. Same with adding so many new people. Its so they can kill them all off with this virus outbreak and a zombie outbreak in the prison. Forcing them to leave it.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: Its from the a swine flu mixed with the zombie flu. He died from something that caused him to bleed out of his eyes, nose and mouth. Also you know its a new "virus" issue because of the army medical doctor. Why else did they make such a strong effort to point that out, then tease him dying. Same with adding so many new people. Its so they can kill them all off with this virus outbreak and a zombie outbreak in the prison. Forcing them to leave it.

Huh, hadn't considered a flu mix. In the real world there's the constant threat of virus/bacteria mutation. I hadn't really considered that in a zombie apocalypse - as any zombie video game tells you, there are hard rules on how zombies infect and attack, and they will never stray from those rules.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The premiere was pretty good, as many TWD premiers tend to be. I tend to care less about 'realism' (the helicopter roof scene) and more about interesting characters and story arcs. TWD has lacked both of those in between the truly great zombie action sequences. The challenge for this show has always been the quiet moments...I liked the Rick/crazy lady mini-arc and the zombie/swine flu thing has potential. I'll try and be optimistic here...new showrunner on board and some new canon fodder, er, characters to take in. Michonne smiled and made jokes. Cool zombie gore. A nice start to S4.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheHT

The most recent episode was good! Didn't waste a lot of time figuring out what the hell happened, and then starting to deal with it. That kid feeling bad for the walker was pretty fucked.

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Imst

Most this season 4 is getting boring, how's that??

sixnahalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season 4 is more on how rick grimes strive to survive with his friends and family is decreasing because of some unwanted incidents. the story is boring for me ATM.

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sixnahalf: Yeah sure it does... Well, haven't watched the rest of the episodes of Season 4..I'll just wait for it to finish :D

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By awesomeusername

Holy crud Carol got kicked out. The amount of first season survivors are slowly leaving/dying.

Also, Y2J is on The Talking Dead. He's the reason I'm watching it right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crud Carol got kicked out. The amount of first season survivors are slowly leaving/dying.

Chris Jericho is easily the best guest Talking Dead has ever had. His points are spot on.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was Season 2 level boring. Why do I still watch this show? I must really hate myself or something.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@awesomeusername said:

Chris Jericho is easily the best guest Talking Dead has ever had. His points are spot on.

Well they have to make up for Marilyn Manson last week.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Walking Dead has more or less just become background noise for a Sunday night.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: This is the first time I'm watching it and I'm not surprised that he's the best guest. He's one of the best talkers in WWE so I'm not surprised he's speaking more then the other 2 people and making great points If he was on this every week, I'd watch this all the time. But that won't happen so I won't watch it ever again.

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can be a farmer but you can't just be a farmer.

Carol was turning into Season 3 Rick real fast. I'm kinda surprised they sent her off right after they developed her character pretty hard for the first couple episodes. Makes me think we'll more than likely see her again down the road. Maybe in an advanced state of apathy and cynicism.

They keep bringing up the Governor, probably to remind the audience that he's still out there and to expect his return at some point. I'm guessing the second half of the season we'll see his cyclopian mug resurface to add insult to injury.

The outbreak angle seems kiiiiiinda boring. People are inevitably going to turn into walkers, everyone including the characters can see it coming. Nuthin left to do but gather medicine and blubber over some suspect corpses I guess..

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My big complaint is that the show added all these new characters, only to have characters to kill off. Why should I care about those girls Carol had adopted, why should I care if "whatshisface," is an alchoholic?

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Now, the writing on this show has never been particularly strong, bu fuck me the whole "Oh no, I tripped and walkers have my backpack and I need it turns out it is booze and you know I am an alcoholic because I just said I was an alcoholic see look at my risking my life for a bit of drunk oh god"

I think I am out. I love zombies movies, i love terrible zombie movies but I don't think I can watch AMC destroy The Walking Dead universe for a profit.

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Imst

Hows the game Walking Dead??

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ravelle

My big complaint is that the show added all these new characters, only to have characters to kill off. Why should I care about those girls Carol had adopted, why should I care if "whatshisface," is an alchoholic?

Nobody asked you to care though, they're just little side stories and characters they run in to. They might not be super interesting but at least it shows us that there are other people walking around doing their own thing.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This season keeps getting better.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle: In this particular story that might be the case. From my experience though, TV has a bad habbit of this practice (start a new season with a bunch of new characters only to have fodder to kill) and I feel that it makes the show seem transparent and predictable. Maybe the show will do something unique with them, but they probably won't.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Sooty

Yep this season is a lot better than 1-3, by far. Although I still think the pilot is the best thing this show has ever put out, why couldn't they have kept that quality? Lennie James should've been a semi-regular! That guy is great in everything.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Last nights was a miss but I'll give it a shot because the rest of the season has been ok. But yeah just like dexter I watch this show because I started it and I will finish it.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ravelle

@ravelle: In this particular story that might be the case. From my experience though, TV has a bad habbit of this practice (start a new season with a bunch of new characters only to have fodder to kill) and I feel that it makes the show seem transparent and predictable. Maybe the show will do something unique with them, but they probably won't.

That's true, killing them off is fine but give them at least a couple of episodes to develop, killing of characters we don't know or care about does nothing.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This season has been mostly kind of boring so far, but Sunday's episode was definitely the best one yet and went to some unexpected places. They're setting some interesting things up but I'm finding hard to continue caring about many of the characters. I think they tried to introduce too many new stories and characters at once this early on, and the cost is less focus on the already-established characters. I like the focus on Tyrese and Carol, and Carol in particular obviously took a very sharp turn. I've never been a fan of her until now. I just hope we see more of her sooner than later after what happened at the end of the most recent episode.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, totally forgot this was happening.

So far it's been mildly interesting, but 404 brought the good stuff. I was honestly expecting the boozehound doctor to be the one, seeing as how he was a doctor (and he said something cryptic regarding stopping the disease from spreading). Carol took her exile like a trooper; frankly, it kind of blew me away.

Rick's decision was difficult, to say the least. I think, in this sort of situation, this contradicting choice has to be made - although Carol's actions may have saved or at least slowed the disease, it was still a crime and forgiving her would set a precedent that could not be tolerated. I think the closest term here would be martyrdom, involuntary as it was. I'll be interested to see how Rick goes about telling (or not telling) everyone else. Also, what the hell happens to Carol, and will they ever meet her again. I gotta say, letting such a "chaotic good" out into the open is just as dangerous as keeping her close; she's gonna come back to bite him in the ass in the future (not literally).

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damn, some of the worst writing and dialogue on TV today. It is a total bummer what this show has become.

"bro, fist bump?"

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... I don't really give a shit about the Gov'nor. My main takeaway from the episode was that the chess pieces reminded me of the AoE2 intro.

Loading Video...

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By breadfan

Totally just crammed the Rise of the Governor book into the show. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Finally got around to watching this weeks episode. The entire time I was waiting for the Governor to kidnap the girl or do something ill-conceived. They sort of built up some sympathy for him from me, even though he's bat shit insane.

The last two episodes have gotten me back on board. I was really starting to feign interest at the start of the season.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yothatlimp: yeah, i don't think that wasn't supposed to come across as awkward and stilted.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#48  Edited By mike

This week's show felt like filler and a total waste of an episode. It dragged on forever and I felt like they could have shown what needed to be shown about Brian in five minutes rather than 55.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By flasaltine

@theht said:

@yothatlimp: yeah, i don't think that wasn't supposed to come across as awkward and stilted.

No. The show just has some terrible writing. I notice it tries to be deep but just falls flat. Like when The Governor puts the spaghetti-o's out the window or burn his family photo? Why? Who knows? There was no reason to throw away good food, especially when it is so scarce. Why get rid of the memory of his family? Did he know that he was going to adopt that girl later? Why should I even care about the Governor? He is a pretty terrible dude and I want to see him dead.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheHT

@mb: He had become such a cartoony villain by the end of season 3 that an episode devoted to showing him to be more than that was interesting. Trying to meaningfully do that in 5 minutes would be tough. Hell, it's tough enough trying to make us not completely dislike the Governor. Besides, it fits in with the whole "can you come back from the terrible shit you do in the apocalypse" theme that seems to be runnin through this season.

@flacracker said:

@theht said:

No. The show just has some terrible writing. I notice it tries to be deep but just falls flat. Like when The Governor puts the spaghetti-o's out the window or burn his family photo? Why? Who knows? There was no reason to throw away good food, especially when it is so scarce. Why get rid of the memory of his family? Did he know that he was going to adopt that girl later? Why should I even care about the Governor? He is a pretty terrible dude and I want to see him dead.

When he dumped the spaghetti-o's, I figured it was him not wanting to take any hand-outs, either because of pride or because he doesn't think he deserves it. The latter implying he's come back from whatever psychotic brink he was at.

Burning the photo was probably him letting go of all that baggage. Before that all was the father turning fiasco, and seeing others accept that once someone turns they're no longer themselves helped him come to terms with what happened to his daughter, maybe enough to let go of all that stuff they were trying to do in Woodbury with the walkers.

That, and him packing his things and trying to leave before Lily stops him, suggest to me it wasn't him thinking about this group becoming his new family. Unless of course he's still fucked up and is playing them all, but I get the vibe that they were trying to redeem the Governor some in this episode.

Walking Dead is at its best when things aren't so black and white, and season 3 made things just straight up good vs bad.

As for the sister, her revealing that she was never even a cop kinda frames her as that tries-to-be-tough little sister type. Awkward and young but well-meaning. I didn't mind it by the end. She's totally gonna die though.