#1 Posted by LackLuster (718 posts) -

I have been hearing a lot about Doctor Who lately since their is apparently is a new doter, I have always heard the show is really good so I've finally decided to start watching it.  I just would like to know if i should pick up watching this current season or backtrack to older stuff.

#2 Posted by Videogames (257 posts) -

I usually start watching shows from the beginning. That's just me though.

#3 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -

From the start?

#4 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -
@Tastyburger8 said:
" I usually start watching shows from the beginning. That's just me though. "
#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@LackLuster said:
" I have been hearing a lot about Doctor Who lately since their is apparently is a new doter, I have always heard the show is really good so I've finally decided to start watching it.  I just would like to know if i should pick up watching this current season or backtrack to older stuff. "
I suggest starting with the 9th doctor. Which starts with the "Rose" Episode. 
#6 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Just start with the new season coming up.  Don't waste your time, money, and/or bandwith as a new season is startign now.

#7 Posted by LackLuster (718 posts) -

Okay obviously from the beginning but there is 11 different doctors so I guess what I'm really asking is if its all one connected story line or if its more like James Bond kind of thing.

#8 Posted by Kentobi (88 posts) -

The current season (5 of the "New Who") is a good place to start if you're unfamiliar with the show.   If you end up liking it, start with the "New Who" season 1.  I'm really partial to Eccleston as the Doctor, even though he only lasted a year.

#9 Posted by endaround (2145 posts) -

It looks like they are going to retcon a bunch of things so it might not matter, but you might want to start with the 2004 relaunch.

#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@LackLuster said:
" Okay obviously from the beginning but there is 11 different doctors so I guess what I'm really asking is if its all one connected story line or if its more like James Bond kind of thing. "
Yes and....no... 

There are turning characters who knew him in his other incarnations. But nothing THAT major. 
#11 Posted by Allprox (544 posts) -

Start with the 2005 series of Doctor Who. It’s part of the exact same canon as the “classic” series, starting in 1963 and running until the 80’s, but it’s specifically written for newcomers to the show. There’s also a really cool sense of scope and myth to the 2005 series; characters will make references to people and places you’ve never seen, adventures you’ve never personally witnessed, but they all existed in the classic series. It’s not like in other fiction where a character will make a reference to something made-up that happened offscreen (“hey, Anakin, remember that time we fell into a nest of gundarks?”) and you have to pretend that the writers aren’t bullshitting — when the Doctor talks about Makra or the Cybermen or Skaro, you get the sense that those stories really exist, without quite knowing enough details about them to rob them of their magic.

The 2005 series is streamable on Netflix, as are all the subsequent series. Search for “Doctor Who, Season 1,”  and so on, until you reach the end of Season 4. At that point, the numbering gets weird because the BBC is stupid — instead of a proper 13-episode series, the next season is five separate, one-hour specials: The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, Waters of Mars, and The End of Time Parts One and Two (in that order). These specials are a really, really important part of the canon, and should not be skipped under any circumstances (even though the current series that’s currently airing on BBC right this second is called Series 5, for some fucked-up reason).

If you want to skip the absolute least interesting bits of the 2005-2010 series (I’d argue they’re all worth watching at least once, but if you’re in a hurry, then you gotta do what you gotta do), you can (somewhat) safely skip the following episodes:

Season One:

The Unquiet Dead

Season Two:

Tooth and Claw

The Idiot’s Lantern

Fear Her

Season Three:

The Shakespeare Code

Daleks in Manhattan

Evolution of the Daleks

The Lazarus Experiment

Season Four:

The Doctor’s Daughter

Unicorn and the Wasp

You’re still looking a pretty hefty chunk of TV, but still — that’s almost twelve hours you’ve skipped, just there.

Okay, so, Doctor Who seasons 1-4, plus the specials, comprise the Russell T. Davies era. He was the showrunner during this period, and he defined the tone and style of the show. After the specials, Steven Moffat took over the show. His run of the show just started this Easter, and will continue on semi-regularly over the next few months. Having watched the RTD era, you’ll be ready for the Moffat era (you can’t just jump into the Moffat era because certain fundamental rules about the Doctor Who universe — regeneration, the TARDIS, Time Lords, etc — are not immediately mentioned).

You’ll also be ready to go back and watch the “classic” series, if you so desire. Most of the classic episodes I’ve seen really haven’t aged all that well; they’re slowly paced and full of needless filler. For the most part, they’re really only worth watching to see the different incarnations of the Doctor and how different they were from one another. Nine and Ten never laid a finger on anyone, but Three got into fistfights and swordfights all the goddamn time.

I can personally recommend the Fourth Doctor serials “City of Death” and “Genesis of the Daleks,” though. The former was written by Douglas Adams, and the latter is just really fucking cool, even by modern standards. “An Unearthly Child,” the very first Doctor Who episode ever, is kind of boring after the first part (with all of time and space to explore, the writers decided to go to the fucking caveman era), but there’s a definite magic in its first, half-hour segment.

There ya go!

#12 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Don't. Watch a good sci-fi series instead. 

#13 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

Start at the 9th doctor, Christopher Eccleston, then when you've caught up to the latest stuff just watch the really old ones now and then. It's easier to appreciate the older ones once you have an appreciation for the show, going straight in at episode one may turn you off.

#14 Posted by Kentobi (88 posts) -
@LackLuster said:
" Okay obviously from the beginning but there is 11 different doctors so I guess what I'm really asking is if its all one connected story line or if its more like James Bond kind of thing. "
It's all one story line, but the connections are fairly loose.  Some storyline elements and villans reoccur, but for the most part, season 5 is starting off relatively fresh.
#15 Posted by Taborlin (177 posts) -

That's a hard question, he kinda time travels. 

#16 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Start at 9, go through 10 and rejoin at 11. If you liked all that, go back to 4, go through 6, watch the 5 doctors and if you like that, watch the rest. 

Some of the first stuff is kinda tough to sit through now.

#17 Posted by LackLuster (718 posts) -
@Allprox:   Thanks man I think I'll start watching from 2005, I dont plan on skipping anything I cant stand doing stuff like that
#18 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

Might as well start with the new doctor seeing as there's a new writer now.

#19 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -
@Allprox: 
Which of the older doctors would you suggest? I tried watching some of Peter Davison but found the tone of the show very serious and the acting of the supporting cast to be...not so great. I love the David Tennant doctor and would like to see some of the older ones.
#20 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -
@IzzyGraze: Tom Baker was my favourite of the older doctors - he was nuts!
#21 Edited by Allprox (544 posts) -
@IzzyGraze: 
The show was slower during the classic series for sure and in no way matches the pace or drive of the newer episodes. If you were put off by tone of Davidson's era it will be difficult to get into the other classic episodes aswell (what with the cheap "special effects" and the somewhat dodgy acting) . But if you are totally set on watching some of the older adventures, I think you can't go wrong with a bit of Tom Baker. He, in my opinion is what defines the doctor and is who I immediately  think of when someone mentions the show ( I mean anyone who has that badass of a scarf must be brilliant, right?).
#22 Posted by RobJ (398 posts) -
@Jimi: Agreed! He was by far my favorite and, IMHO, easily the best.
#23 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -
@Allprox said:

Thanks for that recap, I really don't know what Doc Who is but I'll probably give it a go because I have Netflix instant streaming.
#24 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

Probably the first episode. Just a guess.

#25 Posted by buzz_clik (6975 posts) -
@Jimi said:
" @IzzyGraze: Tom Baker was my favourite of the older doctors - he was nuts! "
Me too. Many awesome childhood memories with him in the role. Although when his body got pulled to bits in The Leisure Hive, I flipped out - scared the living shit out of me. It was one of the most ghastly things my young eyes had witnessed.

Plus I was hardcore crushing on Romana (the second one) as a lad. Holy snap, I just looked her up and the actress who played her, Lalla Ward, is married to Richard Dawkins! Okay, that just made my freakin' day.
#26 Posted by masterpaperlink (1843 posts) -

i watched dr who on and off for years and im never lost, all the episodes are pretty self contained so just start with the current season

#27 Posted by Gspoon (107 posts) -
@Allprox: You left out one episode that is a must watch.  Blink

I have to agree start with the 2005 Relaunch season 1 and continue.
If you are inclined to watch the classic shows be for warned that their were mostly film with a very low budget ...mostly
#28 Posted by Pazy (2581 posts) -
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" Probably the first episode. Just a guess. "
Its not a good idea since a lot of the early episodes are missing, not all of them of course but enough that you cant watch everything from '63 to 2010.
#29 Posted by Allprox (544 posts) -
@Gspoon said:
" @Allprox: You left out one episode that is a must watch.  Blink I have to agree start with the 2005 Relaunch season 1 and continue. If you are inclined to watch the classic shows be for warned that their were mostly film with a very low budget ...mostly "
I agree, it's a fantastic episode, but if your just looking to catch up as quickly as possible and start watching the new episodes, "Blink" is incredibly light on the doctor so it wouldn't give you much insight into the character. Although, now that I think about it the next new episode is going to have the weeping angels in it so it might not be a bad idea to check "Blink" out.
#30 Posted by Valco (328 posts) -

Tbh, I wouldn't start with the new series, it' s really not up to very much
#31 Posted by HistoryInRust (6315 posts) -

Been thinking about getting into the New Who myself. Some of this, the non-sardonic, intelligent replying, is really helpful. Thanks, all.

#32 Posted by Azrail (404 posts) -

stop before u watch even 1 ep

#33 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@Allprox: 
Holy crap. You are, like the king of Doctor Who.
#34 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Don't. Watch a good sci-fi series instead.  "
Production values are poor but the acting is better. I won't argue, there are better sci fi series but you can do worse than Dr Who
#35 Posted by Ransom (105 posts) -

The new season is absolute garbage. Run far away from it and seek shelter in the protective bosom that is the Tom Baker years.

#36 Posted by Nevets (17 posts) -

Good choice in choosing where to start. Like most have said, the older episodes are tough to watch.
#37 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Starting from the beginning would be so much work, there's like 10 or more doctor whos, each with multiple seasons.  

I'd say start where the new series started, with that shaved head dude, then he turns into David Tennant somehow? Anyway, I'd forget the older episodes for now, because catching up with over 30 years of TV is daunting. 

#38 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@zudthespud said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" Don't. Watch a good sci-fi series instead.  "
Production values are poor but the acting is better. I won't argue, there are better sci fi series but you can do worse than Dr Who "
Even with the poor production values, the episodes rely on quirk rather than characterisation. If OP is still interested in getting into sci-fi, Star Trek: The Next Generation has equally poor production values. The different being it's 20 years old and with some fantastic characters.