#1 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

So I've recently become obsessed with watching Korean movies and TV, so much so that it has me wanting to learn the language.

While I already am a big fan of a lot of great Japanese music, I've had a hard time finding Korean music that I like.

I am not directly opposed to the big, super K-Pop groups, but I was more looking for something with a bit more musicianship and a personal touch. I am particularly interested in hearing some lovely lady vocalists.

So help a brother out with some recommendations!

#2 Posted by N7 (3827 posts) -

This one is perfect for any occasion, I believe.

#3 Edited by Live2bRighteous (324 posts) -
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I hope those count. Short, but definitely sweet.

#4 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -

@N7 said:

This one is perfect for any occasion, I believe.

Eh. It's okay. Distinct lack of Leopards though.

#5 Posted by N7 (3827 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre: I thought it was obvious that the liver spots made him a leopard, but I guess that's too Kojimaesque for mere mortals to see.
#6 Posted by Chop (2010 posts) -
Loading Video...

Shirosky is the only Korean artist I have in my library. She makes some pretty good tunes if you like Jazzy hip hop

#7 Posted by jakob187 (22345 posts) -

Might I suggest some of the best thrash from Korea: Mahatma!

Loading Video...
#8 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

@Chop said:

Loading Video...

Shirosky is the only Korean artist I have in my library. She makes some pretty good tunes if you like Jazzy hip hop

Hey, that's pretty cool!

#9 Posted by Klaimore (982 posts) -

K POP is the best!! Although aside from Sista I don't know much.

#10 Posted by Pepsiman (2766 posts) -

Not sure if it falls under the pop umbrella since a lot of the time they just kind of did their own thing and wound up popular anyway, but I enjoy Clazziquai Project quite a lot. A good chunk of their songs feature at least some English vocals because the duo that originally founded it were born in Canada and are therefore bilingual, but there's still plenty of actual Korean vocals, too.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
#11 Posted by kalmis (1744 posts) -
Loading Video...
#12 Posted by Subjugation (4786 posts) -

I can't talk to my Korean friend without her playing 2NE1 or Girls' Generation in the background. It's totally K-POP but it's all I know.

#13 Posted by sub_o (950 posts) -

Have you tried Jaurim ?

Loading Video...
#14 Posted by Anthony (248 posts) -

@Pepsiman said:

Not sure if it falls under the pop umbrella since a lot of the time they just kind of did their own thing and wound up popular anyway, but I enjoy Clazziquai Project quite a lot. A good chunk of their songs feature at least some English vocals because the duo that originally founded it were born in Canada and are therefore bilingual, but there's still plenty of actual Korean vocals, too.

Speaking of Clazziquai, how about some Epic High feat. Clazziquai?

Loading Video...

This one is Epic High feat. Casker

Loading Video...
#15 Edited by Plyem (5 posts) -

I lived in Korea for a year and unfortunately the only korean music I left with was a ton of K-Pop and 검정치마, or the 'The Black Skirts'. Most of my friends would just start listing off American pop music when I asked them, but one key'd me into The Black Skirts and I fell in love. Its fantastic Korean Indie Rock, and I believe one of the girls from SNSD mentioned them in a semi-recent interview which made me quite excited.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

These guys are great. Shirosky sounds good to! Def gotta grab some of it, silky smooth stuff there.

#16 Posted by Aelric (437 posts) -

I was a teacher in Korea for 2 years. I got overdosed with Wondergirls "Nobody Nobody but YOU! *clapclap...clap" to ever like K-pop. That said, a wesetern act that played the bars in Busan, Korea named Poko Lombro is great if you like some folksy rock type stuff, including acoustic covers of K-pop songs. Plus, the lead singer was the hottest woman to ever tell me a fart joke in person.

#17 Posted by Aus_azn (2272 posts) -

@McGhee said:

I am not directly opposed to the big, super K-Pop groups, but I was more looking for something with a bit more musicianship and a personal touch. I am particularly interested in hearing some lovely lady vocalists.

So help a brother out with some recommendations!

2AM is a 4-person male group (unlike the larger "super" k-pop groups), but I find that they have damn good vocalists.

I'd also recommend Younha is you're looking for a female vocalist. I haven't followed her in a little while, but you may have heard of her on the Japanese scene for Bleach ED "Houkiboshi" when she was still a teenager. Her Korean songs sound much better.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
#18 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1096 posts) -

WHY HAS NO ONE POSTED GEE GEE BABBY YET?

Loading Video...
#19 Posted by Kidavenger (3883 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo said:

WHY HAS NO ONE POSTED GEE GEE BABBY YET?

Loading Video...

I was thinking about it, but I consider it evil getting this song in other people's heads because it never leaves.

#20 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1096 posts) -

@Kidavenger: It's not evil, its just a temporary, embarrassing curse

#21 Posted by Rayeth (1114 posts) -

Allow me to help! All my watching of the Starcraft 2 GSL Matches has given me a hilarious tour of the K-Pop scene.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I apologize specifically for getting the Mr. Taxi song stuck in everyone's head.

#22 Posted by Kidavenger (3883 posts) -

How about some North Korea flavour

Loading Video...
#23 Posted by Little_Socrates (5834 posts) -

@Rayeth: That Bubble Pop song is pretty much the only K-Pop song I've wanted to listen to for months. It, uh...doesn't have a ton to do with the song.

Also, I mostly came into this thread to test out my new speakers and they work very nicely. Thanks, everyone!

#24 Posted by Spooks (31 posts) -

I really like W&Whale. The lead singer has a great voice.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
#25 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4313 posts) -

This is the only Korean song that I really know....  Unfortunately this song doesnt have any lyrics 

#26 Posted by jakob187 (22345 posts) -

@kalmis: Mahatma is about a gajillion times better. = D

#27 Posted by buzz_killington (3655 posts) -

No excuse for liking K-pop unless you're trying to pick up a Korean girl.

#28 Edited by nohthink (1370 posts) -

How come nobody has posted Tae Yang yet? Or Big Bang for what matter.

Loading Video...

P.S. Are people posting videos all Korean? Because if they are, 화잇팅

#29 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

@buzz_killington said:

No excuse for liking K-pop unless you're trying to pick up a Korean girl.

Maybe I am. I just haven't met her yet. :P

#30 Edited by Vexxan (4624 posts) -

After watching so many Starcraft 2 streams and tournaments one gets pretty familiar with all the Kpop bands out there.

Loading Video...
#31 Posted by Plyem (5 posts) -

Look at that; Korean music that isn't K-pop!

Loading Video...
Loading Video...