Warhammer 40K 6th ed. book available for preorder.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Looks like it's finally coming out, all the details are on the GW website for prices and the different editions. Holy crap is that thing a monster. Like anything GW related it's pretty damn expensive, the baseline book is till pushing $100 but to be fair its pretty huge and I'm sure it's gonna have lots of pretty pictures. Interesting to note there's psychic cards now you can use in a new phase. I've never actually played the game myself (nobody I know wants to get into it so I stick to the hobby side) but there's a pretty good post on dakkadakka that lays out a lot of facts and rumors. Now they just need to get a new Tau dex out so that army doesn't get stomped all the damn time.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Maystack

I stopped at 4th edition. And seeing that they're charging £45 for a book has reminded me why. It was a great hobby but too expensive for me.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer

Man I remember playing Warhammer when I was a kid. That was like 20+ years ago.

I wish I had the time/money/friends so I could play it again. Alas!

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Maystack: @StarvingGamer: Agreed with both of you. My friends play board games an stuff and they think its a cool game but when you tell them "Oh yeah so how bout each of us drop $500 on an army then we can play!" That interest goes away fast. It's a shame its so damn expensive.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Rohok

Ugh... It's so fucking expensive for no real reason. Prices of models are going up, everything is sky rocketing. They're just finding more ways to squeeze money out of us. I just bought a leman russ the other day for my Imperial Guard Army that I've had since 7th grade- It was 50 dollars (I got 5 dollars off for military discount but with state tax it was brought up to 48) and the model is totally shit compared to what they were 6 or 7 years ago. I remember the Leman Russ having so many different parts and being so much more detailed, in fact, I have the older sprue right here too that has most of the parts that came pre-molded to the new tank and all of them were separate.

Don't even get me started on the Imperial Guard cadian infantry either. 30 dollars for 10? You used to be able to buy a pack of 20 for 30 dollars as I recall. It's unbelievable, lol. I mean I just don't get it. Don't say the economy, don't say rising prices of shipping or any of that. It can't be all of that. They're taking shortcuts to cut costs on their plastic toys and marking up the prices for whatever reason.

Now their new rulebook is 75 dollars. Do you know what I could buy with 75 bucks? How many video games off of STEAM I could own? How many miles I could drive with that much gas? How many dinners I could buy with that? How many movies in the theater I could see with that? I feel like I'm the only Warhammer 40k player that's cynical about all this money milking. I can get miniatures cheaper from every other wargame out there, I could get paints super cheaper, dice super cheaper, everything way cheaper, and they want me to shell out more than triple what competitors are charging. Seriously what're they playing at?

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By supamon

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Agreed with both of you. My friends play board games an stuff and they think its a cool game but when you tell them "Oh yeah so how bout each of us drop $500 on an army then we can play!" That interest goes away fast. It's a shame its so damn expensive.

I'm in the same boat as you. It really is a pity. You'd think they would try to lower the cost barrier after so many years but people still buy them.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By mowgers

Fuck the price I ordered the collector's edition last night. £80 I can't afford but who caaaaaarrrrrreeeeeesssss.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Funkydupe

Zoltan!

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah... If I was able to get through all of 5th edition without its core rule book (I.E: Quick memorization :D )- I bet I'll be able to do the same with 6th ed. :P

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@supamon said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Agreed with both of you. My friends play board games an stuff and they think its a cool game but when you tell them "Oh yeah so how bout each of us drop $500 on an army then we can play!" That interest goes away fast. It's a shame its so damn expensive.

I'm in the same boat as you. It really is a pity. You'd think they would try to lower the cost barrier after so many years but people still buy them.

They're the big dogs and everybody loves their stuff so they probably figure they can get away with it, even though they still see decreases in sales. And two price raises in one year is pretty gross. The smaller games are just gonna keep picking up steam. All that being said, and despite the fact I don't play the game I'm probably still gonna buy the book. Cause I'm dumb like that.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By FateOfNever

Just that cost, man.. I have WH figures and what not that I only somewhat started putting together before the person that talked me into picking up the game turned into a jack ass, but I never actually got into the game. And now, even if I wanted to, honestly, I couldn't afford it, it's just so damn pricey and they don't do anything to try and make it more bearable. I understand that they're at the top for a reason.. for some reason... but I also get now why people are looking more and more at the smaller/newer minis games. It kind of bums me out, honestly.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By herocide

It's nice to see the Dark Angels as the new posterboy SM chapter; they even get to be the face of the new rulebook! I'm looking forward to seeing how the new rules will affect the game and see how the new starter sets turn out. I'll probably just wait for the mini rulebook whenever it comes out. I can't get out to my local Games Workshop until I get my transit pass again in September anyway.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@FateOfNever: Yeah me too cause I love the models and the fiction behind it, I've read way too many 40K books then I'd care to admit. I just don't have the money to get really into the actual game.

@Herocide: Agreed, Dark Angels are awesome. I'm betting the rumors about them being in the new starter set are gonna be pretty accurate.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By supamon

@TheSouthernDandy: I'll probably get the rule book eventually too. Just for collection's sake since I've only had one codex. Oh well, at least we'll have the novels and the video game versions eh?

Clairabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Clairabel

My ex used to play Warhammer, then when I started work it turned out everyone I worked with played as well - and my boyfriend now played when he was in school. They're all from the same part of the city, whereas by where I live I'd never heard of it before then. I really wanted to get into it but it looked so expensive, so I never bothered.

That book looks so goshdarn pretty though.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@supamon said:

@TheSouthernDandy: I'll probably get the rule book eventually too. Just for collection's sake since I've only had one codex. Oh well, at least we'll have the novels and the video game versions eh?

Yeah dude, really interested to see what Dark Millennium has turned into. Hopefully it actually comes out.