• 108 results
#1 Posted by Aegon (5401 posts) -

It was for me. There were great Western cartoons when I was a kid, but DBZ was so different. You had people flying around in this power fantasy, beating each other up for real. Limbs flying off, blood, death. Enemies could become friends. I suppose this made me a lot more open minded about checking out some anime my friends would tell me is great. Also Pokemon, Digimon, Medabots and Yugioh. I don't watch much anime now, maybe a few things here and there that grab me, but I definitely watched a lot more back in high school.

What anime made you interested in the genre?

#2 Posted by ani604 (6 posts) -

Well the only anime I watched was DBZ when I was little and I didn't bother looking into other anime lol

I was a weird kid

#3 Edited by believer258 (11632 posts) -

It was either DBZ or Digimon.

The first episode of any anime that I remembered watching was an early one in the late '90's where Tien got his hand cut off by... Nappa? Or Vegeta? Anyway, my mom's eyes got wide and I begged her to let it play, but she just cut it off. For all of Elementary school, whether I could or could not watch Dragonball Z fluctuated. I watched it anyway, of course - whether I had permission to do something or not never had any bearing on whether I actually did it - but I still had to sneak and watch it often.

#4 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

Not really, I didn't even know what anime was at the time. It was just something that was on tv when I was home.

#5 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I didn't really consider DBZ anime. It was a cartoon that happen to come from Japan. Where I first really heard of "anime" was with Cowboy Bebop.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (35995 posts) -

Durarara right here, probably.

#7 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

It's the only one I liked. I remember setting the VCR to record Toonami every afternoon airing the brand new DBZ episodes. The "beam battle" when Goku put his kamehameha against Vegeta's Gallet(sp?) gun was the episode that got me into it. After that, I remember recording it, then getting mad when they took breaks from releasing new episodes.

So I guess it sort of was, although the only other anime I ever really liked was Yuyuhakusho

#8 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

Mine was Sailor Moon. I still maintain it as one of the best anime. But then I still watch magical girl shows so I might be a bit biased.

#9 Edited by Turambar (6675 posts) -

No.  Those seeds were planted back in the days of Mashin Hero Wataru and Robotech.  Those were the good old days.  (Those were not good old days.)

#10 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@DonChipotle said:

Mine was Sailor Moon. I still maintain it as one of the best anime. But then I still watch magical girl shows so I might be a bit biased.

Yeah, mine was Sailor Moon and Hamtaro. I don't watch a lot of anime nowadays, and i don't remember much of these animes, but they got me into watching DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh, and then i searched for mangas, and now, i usually read mangas full of gore. From magical girls, to body fluid-focused mangas, i changed a bit.
#11 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

Probably showing my age, but Galaxy Express 999 was my opener.

#12 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (612 posts) -

Cowboy Bebop was more of the gateway for me watching anime. I'd watched that, Dragon Ball (didn't like DBZ till I watched Dragon Ball), and FLCL before I decided to watch something besides what was on Toonami. Bought Cowboy Bebop on DVD so I could see it in the order and then after that i bought Elfen Lied, and it's been downhill since then.

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (18907 posts) -

That and Pokemon.

#14 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Kind of? The first time I watched what I knew was anime was Bleach right around the time it started. DBZ was definitely the first anime show I watched, but I didn't know anime was a thing until Bleach and didn't realize DBZ was even anime until a while after I discovered what anime was. So, I guess Bleach was really what got me into anime, but DBZ was my (unknowingly at the time) first.

#15 Posted by notdavid (821 posts) -

Pokemon was a damn revelation for me. I was never into the games, but that show defined a lot of what I'd be into years down the line. Cutesy character designs, themes of lighthearted adventure and friendship, animal death matches.

#16 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

You could say that. My intense liking of Dragon Ball Z must of had a hand in me searching for other anime.

#17 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

For the longest time Dragon Ball was just a comic book series to me and Pokémon was it's own thing entirely, but I guess you could call it that. The first thing I identified as anime and went head over heels for was NGE.

#18 Edited by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

Yeah, pretty much. That and Fullmetal Alchemist.

#19 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Kind of. DBZ showed me that anime could be cool, but Cowboy Bebop was the first anime I ever really got into. And it's still my favorite.

#20 Posted by mao16 (107 posts) -

As a person who loves anime all I can say is no.

#21 Posted by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

I'd say it was probably Robotech and Voltron for me.

#22 Posted by Mirado (990 posts) -

Even after watching the full run of things like DBZ, I still wasn't really into it until I saw Cowboy Bebop and then Fist of the North Star. Bebop put me in the mindself of how an animated show could be higher quality than "traditional" television, and FotNS was my introduction to seeing a show in Japanese, and how watching something in its native language could enhance the experience.

#23 Posted by Kedi2 (242 posts) -

Dragon Ball Z is the only anime I've ever liked.

#24 Posted by Slay3r1583 (600 posts) -

I watched stuff like Dragon Ball (Z), Sailor Moon, and Ronin Warriors. What really did it for me was there was a local station that showed anime movies (censored of course) like Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D, Barefoot Gen, and a bunch of others. That was what really got me interested in anime.

#25 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (281 posts) -

Nope. Pokemon. Or Sailor Moon. I was a confused ass little boy.

#26 Edited by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

Nope, Battle of the Planets aka Science Ninja Team Gatchaman when I was in 2nd grade. Jun the Swan made me feel funny in naughty places.

After that it was Robotech, Bubblegum Crisis, Project Ak-o, Appleseed (1988), Akira, Urasei Yatsura, Madox-01, and so on. Dragon Ball Z was much later.

#27 Edited by Trains (134 posts) -

DragonBall Z was ok at first, but the way they constantly wish all the good guys back to life after they die made it get stale fast lololol

#28 Edited by HulkHanson (73 posts) -

Well, I guess it would have been Pokemon, but I was a dumb kid so I didn't know what anime actually was. It's not until recently that I have got back into anime with the Ghibli movies, then as of late just finished up FMA and FMA: Brotherhood, both bloody superb.

#29 Posted by Tobli (149 posts) -

I dabbled in the standard fare like dbz for a while, but that didn't really do it for me. Then i stubled upon a series called last exile, and i have loved anime ever since.

#30 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I'm not a big anime fan at all, but no, the DBZ anime didn't air on TV here so my only real relation to it has always been that stupid over 9000 clip. The first anime I saw was probably Pokémon or Digimon, and they had some pretty damn sweet episodes and movies early on, but it still didn't drag me deeper into the more "hardcore" anime.

#31 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2307 posts) -

I wouldn't call it my gateway to anime but I guess it was the first major one I saw. I just remember I watched it all the time when I got home from school or was visiting my grandparents.

#32 Edited by Solh0und (1756 posts) -

I was 10 when I first discovered DBZ (And anime in general) and I'm 26 now so ....yes?

#33 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1026 posts) -

Well I watched DBZ when I was little and didn't know anything about anime, so no. Now that I think about it, I'm not really sure what got me into anime... Gundam Wing?

#34 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

It was either Pokemon or Digimon for me, can't remember which was first. I'm fairly certain it was Digimon though. I actually didn't watch DBZ until my cousin showed me the Frieza saga on VHS. I did watch Sailor Moon, and Tenchi Muyo now that I think about it, but I'll be damned if I can remember anything about them.

#35 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -

Sailor Moon was my gateway. It was on before Dragon Ball Z.

#36 Posted by _Chad (963 posts) -

DBZ is the first and one of the very few anime shows I have watched and liked.

#37 Edited by matti00 (668 posts) -

Nope, I always thought it was dumb. I'm the same now, I don't watch any shonen stuff. My entry point was Tenchi Muyo.

I can acknowledge it has some shocking low points but it's still one of my favourites.

#38 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

No. DBZ nearly pushed me away from anime. Cowboy Bepop is what showed me the medium had substance.

#39 Posted by HarlechQuinn (444 posts) -

The "Captain Future" anime, was probably the first anime which I really enjoyed as a kid... and the title theme which was done for the German version is still pretty awesome....

But the anime which lead me to seeking actively out other anime stuff was probably "Akira"...

#40 Posted by Illuminosopher (318 posts) -

Nope, Project A-ko for me.

#41 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

Kimba the white lion

#42 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

It was Sailor Moon > DBZ > the rest of anime.

#43 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

it was cardcaptors for me. i didn't really watch all that much dbz

#44 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

@BulletproofMonk said:

Yeah, pretty much. That and Fullmetal Alchemist.

Same.

#45 Posted by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

Poke'mon, Dragonball Z and Gundam Wing for me, the last one probably more so than the others

#46 Edited by Aegon (5401 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

it was cardcaptors for me. i didn't really watch all that much dbz

Cardcaptors as well. I liked that jester outfit her friend made her.

#47 Edited by B0nd07 (1697 posts) -

No. I've only recently gotten into Dragon Ball and DBZ. I never liked it as a kid.

I think the first anime I watched was Samurai Pizza Cats, but at the time I had no idea what anime was. It was just a cartoon I watched. I also watched some episodes of Gigantor on VHS at my grandma's. It was probably some combination of Sailor Moon (because it was on before ReBoot), Pokemon, and some of the other anime on Toonami (Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Tenchi Muyo, etc) and Kids WB/Fox Kids in the late 90s and early 00s.

Basically, Toonami got me into anime; not any one particular show.

#48 Posted by PreWarOregon (23 posts) -

Not really. Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist for me.

#49 Posted by RioStarwind (485 posts) -

If you can think of a anime that was on TV during the 90's I watched it at some point. Didn't know it was anime at that point either I just called everything a cartoon. I was trying to think of what was on first and I believe it was Sailor Moon. Not into anime as much as I used to be. Since I consider what I watched to be some of the best anime around but I might just be biased. heh

#50 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

Definately, DBZ was the best.