• 50 results
#1 Edited by LD50 (415 posts) -

Hopefully you know who Micheal Hastings is, and why it's important to question the circumstances surrounding his death.

http://mashable.com/2013/06/19/buzzfeed-reporter-dies/

Hastings drove a Mercedes C-Class from the reports.

This vehicle has the potential to be control remotely.

"Remote attacks to hack and set cars to self-destruct?

By Darlene Storm

August 21, 2012 2:32 PM EDT

Automobiles are already considered "computers on wheels" by security experts. Vehicles are filled with dozens of tiny computers known as electronic control units, or ECUs, that require tens of millions of lines of computer code to manage interconnected systems including engines, brakes and navigation as well as lighting, ventilation and entertainment.

'SELF DESTRUCT'

Concerns about such possibilities emerged after a group of computer scientists from the University of California and the University of Washington published two landmark research papers that showed computer viruses can infect cars and cause them to crash, potentially harming passengers.

For instance, they came up with a combination attack dubbed "Self Destruct". It starts when a 60-second timer pops up on a car's digital dashboard and starts counting down. When it reaches zero the virus can simultaneously shut off the car's lights, lock its doors, kill the engine and release or slam on the brakes.

In addition to designing viruses to harm passengers in infected vehicles, the academics were able to remotely eavesdrop on conversations inside cars, a technique that could be of use to corporate and government spies.

The research group disbanded after publishing two technical papers, in May 2010 and August 2011, that describe multiple types of attacks and ways to infect cars using Bluetooth systems, wireless networks as well as the car's OnBoard Diagnostics port, which is also known as an OBD-II port."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/20/autos-hackers-idUSL2E8JJ33020120820

"Hackers Find Ways to Remotely Control Cars, Terror to Ensue

By Ryan Fleming — May 19, 2010

The university researchers were testing to see how tight security of computers inside of cars are, and the answer is that there is hardly any security at all. The researchers needed to have a physical connection to initially access the car’s Engine Control Unit (ECU). Once they do have that access, they can control the entire operations of the car wirelessly, and tell the car to ignore the driver’s input.

For the test, researchers were able to connect wirelessly to a car’s ECU, and disable the brakes while it was driving. The test also proved that they could seize the engine, and even brake certain wheels, which would send the car sliding before potentially flipping over."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/hackers-find-ways-to-remotely-control-cars-terror-to-ensue/

Evidently the MB C-Class can steer, accelerate, and stop by it's self:

"Driving assists, to go with the flow

The optional Lane Tracking Package makes driving more secure on multi-lane roadways. Blind Spot Assist can help alert you to unseen vehicles in the adjacent lane, while Lane Keeping Assist helps to warn you if you're drifting out of your lane. New for 2013, the Driver Assistance Package adds active technology to these systems that can help guide your car back into its own lane, as well as DISTRONIC PLUS adaptive cruise control[/b] with [b]PRE-SAFE® Brake."

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/features/class-C/bodystyle-CPE/vehicle-technology

For a full technical breakdown of the systems and potential vulnerabilities, check out this website:

http://www.autosec.org/publications.html

There's a pdf titled:

Comprehensive Experimental Analyses of Automotive Attack Surfaces

Read it.

Keep in mind this information is a few years old, which is a lifetime in I.T.

Given the fact that the C Class now lets the ecu control the steering, acceleration, as well as braking...

What do you think duders?

#2 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

No. Why does every incident need to be a goddamn conspiracy?

#3 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -
#4 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

While I imagine it probably is possible to assassinate someone this way, there are people out there that I think the US government (I assume that's who you are accusing) would be WAY more interested in assassinating.

After all, there's only so many chances you get to kill a prominent person in a high tech car before people get suspicious

#5 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@fourwude said:

@mariachimacabre: Because no one trusts the government.

And they'd be right.

I think there's a grey area between trusting the government with all your heart and seeing conspiracies everywhere, mate

#7 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@animasta said:

@fourwude said:

And they'd be right.

I think there's a grey area between trusting the government with all your heart and seeing conspiracies everywhere, mate

Lizard People. Case closed, everyone!

#8 Edited by LD50 (415 posts) -

@animasta said:

@fourwude said:

And they'd be right.

That's a little hyperbolic. Questioning one incident does not qualify as seeing conspiracies everywhere.

You're welcome to your opinion though.

#9 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@ld50: oh no I wasn't responding to you but him, who regularly posts stuff like that.

I mean as for your topic I have no idea, I'd probably guess no because it seems too... flashy for something like that.

#10 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@animasta said:

@fourwude said:

And they'd be right.

And it's unfortunate that we're living in times when these conspiracies against major corpirations and governments are becoming fact.

A conspiracy will always remain just that until it becomes open public knowledge.

Heck up to a month ago it was conspiratorial to talk of Microsoft spying in you and passing the information onto the governments NSA. Now it's the butt of every MS joke.

#11 Posted by LD50 (415 posts) -

While I imagine it probably is possible to assassinate someone this way, there are people out there that I think the US government (I assume that's who you are accusing) would be WAY more interested in assassinating.

After all, there's only so many chances you get to kill a prominent person in a high tech car before people get suspicious

Honestly, I'm not accusing anyone. I don't have that kind of information available to me.

I do know about car ECUs tho.

#12 Edited by LD50 (415 posts) -

@animasta said:

@ld50: oh no I wasn't responding to you but him, who regularly posts stuff like that.

I mean as for your topic I have no idea, I'd probably guess no because it seems too... flashy for something like that.

Sorry about that.

:]

Thanks for checking out the thread.

#13 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@fourwude said:

@animasta said:

@fourwude said:

And they'd be right.

And it's unfortunate that we're living in times when these conspiracies against major corpirations and governments are becoming fact.

A conspiracy will always remain just that until it becomes open public knowledge.

Heck up to a month ago it was conspiratorial to talk of Microsoft spying in you and passing the information onto the governments NSA. Now it's the butt of every MS joke.

yeah but you have to admit that you post about that shit all the time... I think you assume that way more people here trust the government a lot more than they actually do.

#14 Edited by BisonHero (6527 posts) -

#15 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@animasta said:

@fourwude said:

@animasta said:

@fourwude said:

And they'd be right.

yeah but you have to admit that you post about that shit all the time... I think you assume that way more people here trust the government a lot more than they actually do.

I don't post on any conspiratorial stuff on GB whatsoever. If I call the government or a major corporation out on dumb shit or dangerous policies then that's because they've been exposed and the knowledge is out in the open. It ceases to be a conspiracy.

Saying for example that the Iraq war was at least in part founded on dodgy, manufactured dossiers doesn't make me a conspiracist. Because firstly that's fact, and secondly it's open knowledge.

Now unless you've got actual examples of where I am engaging in a conspiracy, and not trolling or joking, then provide it.

#16 Posted by HerpDerp (133 posts) -
#17 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1588 posts) -

Shhh... They're reading this.

#18 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

The whole thing about him allegedly contacting Wiki Leaks, something like an hour before his death, saying the FBI were following him, is really fucking weird. Also, the nature of the crash; cars don't just burst into flame and throw the engine way down the road like that anymore. I mean, the video's out there for anyone to see. The car is completely engulfed in fire. All this when he was apparently going to publish a story just weeks from now 'breaking wide open the CIA.' Just sayin'.

#19 Edited by LD50 (415 posts) -
#20 Edited by Barrock (3533 posts) -

There was video of him driving erratically. It's possible he was quite drunk.

#21 Edited by LD50 (415 posts) -

@pillclinton said:

The whole thing about him allegedly contacting Wiki Leaks, something like an hour before his death, saying the FBI were following him, is really fucking weird. Also, the nature of the crash; cars don't just burst into flame and throw the engine way down the road like that anymore. I mean, the video's out there for anyone to see. The car is completely engulfed in fire. All this when he was apparently going to publish a story just weeks from now 'breaking wide open the CIA.' Just sayin'.

It looks like he did send out an email to some of his associates several hours before the crash:

http://ktla.com/2013/06/21/exclusive-hastings-sent-colleagues-email-hours-before-crash

#22 Posted by LD50 (415 posts) -

@barrock: That's possible.

Not very smart of him tho, given the fact he had just warned his colleagues he was being investigated by the FBI.

Who knows.

Weird he was talking about "going off the radar" also.

#23 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

its actually kinda hard to crash a car and make it blow up. If it was intentionally blown up, through some sort of bomb, sabotage or "self destruct" it'd be fairly obvious and investigators would find that out right away.

Since investigators didnt find any of that, I'm guess it was just a freak accident and him driving like a jackass.

If someone did remotely control his car and self destruct it, then well, maybe they had a good reason lol

#24 Posted by tourgen (4500 posts) -

@clonedzero: yeah, that's the thing about this that makes me suspicious. Well that and the timing. Cars almost never catch fire and burn like that after a crash. Even a monstrous 120mph into-a-tree crash, where the car looks like a wadded up spitball.

#25 Edited by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

@animasta said:

@fourwude said:

And they'd be right.

Is the area grey because it's full of the corpses of dead aliens?!

#26 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

*puts on tin foil hat*

In all seriousness, the death of Hastings is fucking tragic. There are few investigative journalists that are as well versed, well-worded, and generally good at their job, and with his death, it's one less of them in existence.

I would not at all be surprised if this was a hit from the US government. It's not like it's the only "US government offing people" conspiracy going around (also see Navy SEAL Team Six among others).

I'll say this: as someone who grew up with a mechanic and went to a lot of races as a kid, I've seen cars with much worse types of fuel get in wrecks at much higher speeds than Hastings was supposedly travelling. Those cars didn't catch fire and do what that car did. There's reason to be wary of the situation.

#27 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

You'll never meet someone who laughs at conspiracy theories as much as I do, but this clearly looks intentional to me. There's an easy suspect, an obvious motive, and a highly unusual incident surrounding his death. C'mon guys. Not exactly lizard people here. (Although those totally exist and the government turned me into one.)

#28 Posted by RavenX302 (258 posts) -

I think in this case, a conspiracy is almost certainly warranted, but people really need to claim down until more facts come out and the investigation is completed. Honestly, even an investigation can be extremely tampered with if need, but still people need to really wait and see a little but more on this one. If anyone seen Geraldo Rivera's twitter saying something about 'condolences, but don't forget he killed 1 career', or some horse shit.....fucking garbage and disgusting. Its nice to see that all those REAL MEDIA types in the US have the back of a true journalist.

#29 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Yeah, tragic as this is, this one smells goddam fishy as hell. To have thrown the engine block as far as he did, he would have had to have been driving REALLY goddam fast, and as already pointed out, fiery explosions aren't the easiest things to pull off. I also read somewhere (I can't remember where and I don't know if it's true) that the guy didn't drink.

#30 Posted by LD50 (415 posts) -

@inkerman said:

Yeah, tragic as this is, this one smells goddam fishy as hell. To have thrown the engine block as far as he did, he would have had to have been driving REALLY goddam fast, and as already pointed out, fiery explosions aren't the easiest things to pull off. I also read somewhere (I can't remember where and I don't know if it's true) that the guy didn't drink.

I was thinking about that too.

Didn't he hit the tree head on? I would think that would prevent the engine from traveling forward very far.

#31 Edited by dudeglove (7854 posts) -

No. Why does every incident need to be a goddamn conspiracy?

Because Hastings was (and is) hated for being gonzo. "Responsible" journos forget to realize that driving your car into a palm tree at 4 in the morning in California is exactly the sort of thing that's expected of someone who fucks with people in power. James Dean died in a similar fashion, yet there's no conspiracy there (but yet they still talk of him!). Oh no, of course Obama forced Hastings to buy a fast car and then crash and die. He was just a punk. Sure.

@inkerman said:

I also read somewhere (I can't remember where and I don't know if it's true) that the guy didn't drink.

Like the time he *didn't* drink with McChrystal and his buddies in a Paris bar during a NATO meeting?

Hastings was not a responsible person, and who knows? He probably didn't sleep well at night because of what he did. Hey! Maybe there's one reason he was tearing around the roads at that time!

The news that he had transferred to Buzzfeed was not very encouraging, considering it's a Koch Media outlet now. It's a shame HST isn't alive nowadays, but he probably might have started shooting other "journalists" before he shot himself if he still was. But what do I know? I'm just an asshole on the Internet.

#32 Edited by LD50 (415 posts) -

@dudeglove: Hmm. So you're a McChrystal supporter?

"After Cpl. Pat Tillman, the former-NFL-star-turned-Ranger, was accidentally killed by his own troops in Afghanistan in April 2004, McChrystal took an active role in creating the impression that Tillman had died at the hands of Taliban fighters. He signed off on a falsified recommendation for a Silver Star that suggested Tillman had been killed by enemy fire."

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-runaway-general-20100622?page=4

I don't understand the slam against Koch media. Can you expand on that statement?

Also, I'm familiar with the article you cited regarding Hastings drinking with McChrystal.

I'm not able to locate the reference to Hastings drinking alcohol, which you seem to *imply* in your statement.

Perhaps you could quote it in your response?

Thanks.

#33 Posted by LD50 (415 posts) -

I also found this article interesting:

Was Michael Hastings' Car Hacked? Richard Clarke Says It's Possible

"Former U.S. National Coordinator for Security, Infrastructure Protection, and Counter-terrorism Richard Clarke told The Huffington Post that what is known about the single-vehicle crash is "consistent with a car cyber attack."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/24/michael-hastings-car-hacked_n_3492339.html

#34 Posted by dudeglove (7854 posts) -

@ld50: Nowhere in my post do I voice support for McChrystal or his activities, so quit reading into your own bias and don't dare assume you can speak for me. Cherry-picked quotes do not make you smart or clever. If you believe Hastings never drank a drop in his life then good for you.

Ben Smith, editor in chief and Hastings' obituary writer at Buzzfeed, is the bigger issue than Hastings being employed at Buzzfeed itself. Long story short (considering the nature of this thread I really should keep this response short because you don't have the greatest attention span in the world beyond regurgitating circlejerk Huffington Post articles-about-articles-about-articles): Koch Media is trying to suck up all the press in America while turning Buzzfeed into HuffPo for the clickbait cat video-loving millennium generation. Koch apologist Ben Smith front and center deflected any criticism directed against his paymasters, and his pro-Koch behavior started well before he was made editor in chief at Buzzfeed. When he joined Buzzfeed, he raised lots of money and began hiring big names from Gawker Media, Popular Mechanics and the Village Voice among others.

I will not be posting in this thread again.

#35 Posted by Scrawnto (2450 posts) -

@fourwude said:

Now unless you've got actual examples of where I am engaging in a conspiracy, and not trolling or joking, then provide it.

Er.. you realize that the conspiracy theorists aren't the ones conspiring, right? They theorize about conspiracies. Usually these are corporate or government conspiracies. I don't think anyone is saying that you are the conspirator, just that you bring up theories about conspiracies. Trying to expose a conspiracy is actually the opposite of engaging in a conspiracy. Like, a nuclear theorist isn't actively undergoing fusion, they just work on theories to explain/describe nuclear physics.

#36 Posted by Veektarius (4836 posts) -

It's interesting, but I think that email is faked. It's the sort of vague bullshit that someone sends in a movie that leads to two hours of head-scratching instead of something that contains actual information like a real email would. In the absence of that email, there's no particular reason to suspect government involvement here other than the government being the catchall villain for any conspiracy like this.

#37 Edited by LD50 (415 posts) -

@dudeglove: "He probably didn't sleep well at night because of what he did."

You're saying here that what he did was wrong.

What could you possibly be referring to?

"Like the time he *didn't* drink with McChrystal and his buddies in a Paris bar during a NATO meeting?"

If you're not saying exposing McChrystal was wrong, it sure does look like that.

I don't have to cherry pick quotes. The entire article you cited is a fairly dark expose of McChrystal.

To be honest, your post was a little hard to follow.

I see you're reduced to ad hominem, which tells me you don't have much of an argument.

Which is confirmed with the feigned authority play "I will not be posting in this thread again."

I also see you attempting to do a character assassination on Hastings when you have no proof.

Some people are allergic to alcohol. I know a lot of professionals that don't drink alcohol.

"Hastings was not a responsible person".

How would you know?

I question your agenda.

Have fun not posting in this thread again sir.

#38 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

I didn't read the opening post, but I read the Topic Title and my last name is Hastings. Now I'm expecting my car to explode while on my way to work due to someone not liking me. Oh god.

#39 Posted by BisonHero (6527 posts) -

@ld50: I think you're kinda crazy for following this conspiracy theory, but Jesus Christ did dudeglove overreact, when your reply to him didn't seem particularly snarky or insulting. And seriously, dudeglove's post was kind of confusing. For example (can't quote because I'm on mobile site):

'"Responsible" journos forget to realize that driving your car into a palm tree at 4 in the morning in California is exactly the sort of thing that's expected of someone who fucks with people in power.'

What does that even mean? There's sarcasm or extreme cynicism in there somewhere, but I can't parse out where he meant to put emphasis in there. Shouldn't "forget" also sarcastically be in quotes, or something? I'm still not positive I follow what he's implying in that sentence.

#40 Edited by Darson (451 posts) -

@lord_xp said:

I didn't read the opening post, but I read the Topic Title and my last name is Hastings. Now I'm expecting my car to explode while on my way to work due to someone not liking me. Oh god.

Unless your name is Michael and you live in California, then you got nothing to worry about.

Just in case, though, I'd stop driving your Mercedes for a few weeks.

#41 Posted by ch3burashka (5081 posts) -

Uh... what? I've seen no mention of foul play involved in Hastings' death, and you up and decided to pull a conspiracy theory out of your ass based on possible virus attacks on cars?

I'd say I'm speechless, but in reality the foul language I'm capable of isn't fit for this forum.

#42 Edited by Tarsier (1064 posts) -

@animasta said:

@fourwude said:

And they'd be right.

inside that grey line is a place for questioning official stories/claims of liars.

there are delusional people who go too far, and there are delusional people who dont go far enough. we can agree that there is a place in the middle that we must be to find the truth, not persuaded by any kind of fear. fear creates denial on one end, and irrational anger on the other. but when the answers to these questions are found, its safe to say that we all must stand for whats right . .

#43 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -
#44 Posted by BisonHero (6527 posts) -

@tarsier said:

@animasta said:

@fourwude said:

And they'd be right.

inside that grey line is a place for questioning official stories/claims of liars.

there are delusional people who go too far, and there are delusional people who dont go far enough. we can agree that there is a place in the middle that we must be to find the truth, not persuaded by any kind of fear. fear creates denial on one end, and irrational anger on the other. but when the answers to these questions are found, its safe to say that we all must stand for whats right . .

I can't decide if you're trying to sound more like Yoda, or a line from V for Vendetta.

#45 Edited by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@tarsier said:

@animasta said:

@fourwude said:

And they'd be right.

I can't decide if you're trying to sound more like Yoda, or a line from V for Vendetta.

How about reasonable? Because that's how it reads to me.

#46 Posted by BisonHero (6527 posts) -

@pillclinton said:

@bisonhero said:

@tarsier said:

@animasta said:

@fourwude said:

And they'd be right.

How about reasonable? Because that's how it reads to me.

You know, the third option is he could've been trying to sound like The President of the United States, as played by Bill Pullman, in the hit film Independence Day.

#47 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

@darson said:

@lord_xp said:

Unless your name is Michael and you live in California, then you got nothing to worry about.

Just in case, though, I'd stop driving your Mercedes for a few weeks.

I didn't know I had a Mercedes. My middle name is Michael...it could be possible to be mixed up with him and get killed instead. Shit

#48 Edited by LD50 (415 posts) -

@bisonhero: That's fair.

I'm pretty middle of the road on most of the weirder topics.

I just did a ton of research on car ECUs a few months ago, because my car needed a replacement.

Seeing some of the vulnerabilities of the modern system, I thought it might be possible the car was tampered with.

Maybe not probable, but who knows.

It was strange to see a very similar article in the Huffpost.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/24/michael-hastings-car-hacked_n_3492339.html

I can't vouch for the accuracy of that article, but there it is.

This is a pretty polarizing topic. I can't blame people for getting emotional because of it.

Just differences in perspective.

#49 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Will the earth implode into a black hole created by the LHC tomorrow? Scientists *did* say there was a remote possibility of its use generating a singularity. I think this should be taken as a very real threat despite the fact that the sun is more likely to spontaneously implode, because it's totally possible. Like, the chances of it happening are really non-zero, so we should discuss it as though it's a likelihood.

#50 Posted by LD50 (415 posts) -

Will the earth implode into a black hole created by the LHC tomorrow? Scientists *did* say there was a remote possibility of its use generating a singularity. I think this should be taken as a very real threat despite the fact that the sun is more likely to spontaneously implode, because it's totally possible. Like, the chances of it happening are really non-zero, so we should discuss it as though it's a likelihood.

Not really a comparable topic, nor do I see it's relevancy.

Might make an interesting thread tho.

I don't know much about super colliders.