Was Obama elected off of a make believe conception?

• 55 results
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Feeling political today...

Anyway, I have a question for you guys, was Barack Obama really chosen for his views on issues or was he, as this satire you've probably already heard (below), simply chosen by an idea that he was the "magic negro" (for those of you who don't understand this reference they're making, think movies with the black dude who comes and helps the other characters out).  Was it his ideas or the false idea of him having all the solutions and that somehow if he were elected everything would "change" and become perfect?

What say you?

(here's the video)

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

I do not believe that he was elected on a 'make believe conception'.  He has promised many things, but it has only been a month since he was sworn in as president and there is much more time to see how things can turn out.

I also find that video you posted completely unrelated and pointless. Go back to listening to Rush Limbaugh

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Br3adfan said:

"I do not believe that he was elected on a 'make believe conception'.  He has promised many things, but it has only been a month since he was sworn in as president and there is much more time to see how things can turn out.

I also find that video you posted completely unrelated and pointless. Go back to listening to Rush Limbaugh
"

Are you not familiar with that video?
It was a song making satire of the fact that he was essentially elected for being something of a conception rather than a politician of issues.

You saw all that "CHANGE!" things.  What the hell did those mean?  Change for what? Along that idea.

It's not racist at all for the record.  It's referencing the  term of that black guy who will show up and solve all the problems, somehow, in those movies.  It's also poking stuff at Al Sharpton.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Coltonio7

You got yer politics in mah peanut butter.

!!!
!!!

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Bioderm

Time will tell....

Hes a politician so of course he will lie to us. It's not because hes black the people voted for him ( i hope). It's because he has some good idea, I just really hope he's not a fake. I don't think hes a saint and I know he won't be able to solve every problems.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Br3adfan said:
"I do not believe that he was elected on a 'make believe conception'.  He has promised many things, but it has only been a month since he was sworn in as president and there is much more time to see how things can turn out.

"
I'm really talking about the vote.
Did people vote for him because he had good ideas or because he was this false hope
Go back to listening to Rush Limbaugh
"

I think he's more funny.  I don't agree with him someof the time, but I also  recognize some good points he makes.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

Every leader is elected based on what people believe.  There's no way any voter outside of a very small inner circle could really know anything at all about who they're voting for.  Bush got in because people thought he was a cowboy and actually cared about his electorate.  There's nothing really different in this case.  It would be impossible for any leader to cure all of America's problem within even 2 terms, so some people do have unrealistic expectations.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Discorsi

the people get the government they deserve.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Snipzor

No, he was chosen because he wasn't a Bush Republican. And take down that video, its stupidity offends me, and it has no reason to be in this thread.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By grilledcheez

I voted for him because I felt he had great appeal elsewhere in the world more than any other reason.  We need close allies in everything we do and we need somebody who is willing to talk to everybody whether they share our views or not.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Snipzor said:
"No, he was chosen because he wasn't a Bush Republican. And take down that video, its stupidity offends me, and it has no reason to be in this thread.
"
Well you can't just say it was McCain vs. Obama.  Obama was elected when McCain was selected.  I think mit romney was the best choice on the republican side.
Not many people really like McCain on either side.

And if you really think the video is just stupidity, you are apparently not listening to it.  It's encasing this whole topic and really the question that anyone with half of a brain might want to ask.
sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By sarahsdad
Diamond and Snipzor FTW, so far in this thread.

Hope isn't false until you put it in someone and they frak you over. If he turns out to be a complete waste like the last guy, then yeah, he will have been a false hope. If he works his ass off, and things still go bad, at least he'll have tried.
Personally I voted for him because 
a) most of what he said he wanted to do were things that I agree with.
b) I've never really felt like the Republican party has any interest in making the government helpful to anyone who doesn't already have a wad of cash. 
c) I think McCain made one of the worst choices possible for a running mate when he picked Palin. I've always felt that one of the most important job skills any manager can have is picking / hiring competent people, and he failed, right out of the gate.

Also, maybe I don't watch enough movies in my spare time, but SDL, what movies are you watching where there's this big trend of a black guy coming in and magically solving everyone's problems?
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

The movies?  Really? 
Well here's a nice popular one for you, Happy Gilmore.  It's not the best example, but the one you'd recognize best.

Here's one from something you may not know but is exactly what i'm talking about:  The Legend of Bagger Vance

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sarahsdad

I know that's Adam Sandler. But is that the one where he plays an idiot who's good at football, or the one where he plays golf to save someone from something, or the one where he's an idiot who's an idiot who has to get a tutor to pass grade school? I've never seen more than trailers for those, so ya lost me.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ it's the golf one, not the best example, but decent.  the other video is a better example

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sarahsdad

posts crossed in the mail. I do recognize will smith tho.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Snipzor
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Snipzor said:
"No, he was chosen because he wasn't a Bush Republican. And take down that video, its stupidity offends me, and it has no reason to be in this thread.
"
Well you can't just say it was McCain vs. Obama.  Obama was elected when McCain was selected.  I think mit romney was the best choice on the republican side.
Not many people really like McCain on either side.

And if you really think the video is just stupidity, you are apparently not listening to it.  It's encasing this whole topic and really the question that anyone with half of a brain might want to ask.
"
If Mitt Romney were the representative, the republicans still would have lost. It isn't an issue of personal politics, it is an issue of party trust and nobody trusts the republican party to lead again. Not after Bush. Plus a ton of people loved McCain, denial of that would be pointless (Also note that McCain was picked by republican voters, so don't subtly make an issue that he wasn't a real conservative).

And I've heard that song before, and really I never want to hear it again. Because if that is what passes off as "conservative satire", then no wonder the party should split up.
lukeissxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lukeissxc

Most people I know don't even have a good general idea of politics in general. A lot of undecided voters with know intention of doing research into the candidates that were available just listened to what he said and went along with it. Personally I think almost all of his promises were false and we are headed for a really bad depression.

I've also asked a lot of people that voted for him about his policies and very few could actually tell me anything. So yeah I guess I do think that he was elected on false hope and it pains me to see it. In my opinion people should be mandated to take classes or do research on candidates and their policies before being able to vote.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Snipzor
lukeissxc said:
"Most people I know don't even have a good general idea of politics in general. A lot of undecided voters with know intention of doing research into the candidates that were available just listened to what he said and went along with it. Personally I think almost all of his promises were false and we are headed for a really bad depression.

I've also asked a lot of people that voted for him about his policies and very few could actually tell me anything. So yeah I guess I do think that he was elected on false hope and it pains me to see it. In my opinion people should be mandated to take classes or do research on candidates and their policies before being able to vote."
Would this be true for both sides?
sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sarahsdad
lukeissxc said:
"Most people I know don't even have a good general idea of politics in general. A lot of undecided voters with know intention of doing research into the candidates that were available just listened to what he said and went along with it. Personally I think almost all of his promises were false and we are headed for a really bad depression.

I've also asked a lot of people that voted for him about his policies and very few could actually tell me anything. So yeah I guess I do think that he was elected on false hope and it pains me to see it. In my opinion people should be mandated to take classes or do research on candidates and their policies before being able to vote."

I can agree with some of what you said. Anyone who thinks there's a magic wand (from either party) that will fix everything is in for a surprise. And I have to grudgingly admit that if you were not smart enough to realize this, you might feel betrayed.

As far as his promises being false, I think that depends on wether you thought there would be a magic wand or not; if so, see above.

I do wholeheartedly agree however that mandatory poli-sci or something similar every couple years of schooling would be a great idea.
I'll show my 80's before packing up for the night, and say " knowing is half the battle "
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
Snipzor said:
"No, he was chosen because he wasn't a Bush Republican.
"
This is true. I think people were willing to vote for anyone that had no resemblance to a Bush Republican. Too bad people don't see how amazingly similar they really are.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
lukeissxc said:

That's the reason I hate democracy. I don't want idiots voting for policies that will greatly impact my life.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Thankfully we live in a Republic, where idiots vote for people who greatly impact your life. The issues are abstracted, no one needs to understand them.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By vidiot
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Feeling political today...

Anyway, I have a question for you guys, was Barack Obama really chosen for his views on issues or was he, as this satire you've probably already heard (below), simply chosen by an idea that he was the "magic negro" (for those of you who don't understand this reference they're making, think movies with the black dude who comes and helps the other characters out).  Was it his ideas or the false idea of him having all the solutions and that somehow if he were elected everything would "change" and become perfect?

What say you?

(here's the video)

"
What I say?
As someone who voted for Obama on his ideals and more importantly: two fucking years of hardcore campaigning on endless 24 hour news shows, debates, pundit debating, and speeches, I find this sheer concept is as stupid as it is offensive.

I voted for him because I thought he was the better candidate. The end.

Smug, your a nice guy, but this is hands down the dumbest topic you've yet posted.
Ubergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ubergeist

I don't think that. I think that within the next year he will get something done. I'm really crossing my fingers on that though since the government is that last thing I trust on this planet. But if he really is what he says he is then there might actually be hope.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Milkman
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

Br3adfan said:

"

Are you not familiar with that video?
It was a song making satire of the fact that he was essentially elected for being something of a conception rather than a politician of issues.

You saw all that "CHANGE!" things.  What the hell did those mean?  Change for what? Along that idea.

It's not racist at all for the record.  It's referencing the  term of that black guy who will show up and solve all the problems, somehow, in those movies.  It's also poking stuff at Al Sharpton.

"
If you really think that Rush Limbaugh's brain could process that kind of thinking then you're delusional. The song is just racist, simple as that. Fuck Rush Limbaugh. Obama is president now. You lost. Get over it.
JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JudgeDread

no smug, you just are a little bit racist

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By JJWeatherman

without reading the real post, im gonna just say... OF COURSE

**EDIT: wow I just read the post and I gotta say, kinda racist. lol**
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks

...I think this one could just beat the record....

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#30  Edited By LordAndrew
SmugDarkLoser said:
"And if you really think the video is just stupidity, you are apparently not listening to it.  It's encasing this whole topic and really the question that anyone with half of a brain might want to ask. "
In that case this entire topic is shit, and no one else should make any attempt to reason with you. That was just plain stupid and annoying.
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EvilDingo

Hopefully he got voted in because more people registered to be able to vote.

Not sure about the numbers, but I generally think that a higher voter participation is to the democrats advantage.

However, I generally feel that the fact that United States Citizens aren't automatically registered as voters is bullshit.
I'm not American though - the system just seems flawed to me.
xXRAWxHEATxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xXRAWxHEATxX
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Snipzor
xXRAWxHEATxX said:
"If everyone knew that Obama supports infanticide, I'm sure he would have gotten a lot less votes.

Now that's change we can believe in. Yes we can.
"
Ooh, a Youtube video. The great source of knowledge, all true and all great. None of it is misleading.

There hasn't been a day that has gone by where I haven't heard some butthurt republican scream "INFANTICIDE!" even though everything has already been explained and disproved. Perhaps if context was added, it would soothe your butthurt.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By jakob187

Obama got elected for teh lulz.

In all seriousness, though...actually, yeah.  He did get elected for teh lulz.
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EvilDingo
Snipzor said:
"xXRAWxHEATxX said:
"If everyone knew that Obama supports infanticide, I'm sure he would have gotten a lot less votes.

"
Ooh, a Youtube video. The great source of knowledge, all true and all great. None of it is misleading.

There hasn't been a day that has gone by where I haven't heard some butthurt republican scream "INFANTICIDE!" even though everything has already been explained and disproved. Perhaps if context was added, it would soothe your butthurt.
"
pfffft... Don't you know anything about politics?
Context is highly overrated ;-)
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By c1337us
vidiot said:
"Smug, your a nice guy, but this is hands down the dumbest topic you've yet posted."
Exactly what I meant the other day. The guy really knows how to paint a target on himself. Plus I agree with Snipzor and others: that is an awful clip.
xXRAWxHEATxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xXRAWxHEATxX
Snipzor said:
"xXRAWxHEATxX said:

"

"
Interesting article. If you don't like youtube videos I can easily provide you context saying that he does support infanticide. Just google "Obama Supports Infanticide". You'll find a whole bunch of articles on it. 

Before you showed me that article, I thought it was proven that Obama supported infanticide. I guess there are articles conflicting each other on this subject. Therefore this arguement could go on forever on wether he really supports it or not. 

For the record, I am not a Republican or a Democrat. I don't drink the kool-aid.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By BoG

Snipzor gives factcheck.org, and you respond with a pro-life blogger?

There is so much wrong with what you just did, Raw.

Whatever. I'm the fool here for thinking there wouldn't be some conspiracy theories sorrounding this president. Bush had the 2000 election and 9/11, Obama is going to have infantcide, being born in another country, and who knows what else.
xXRAWxHEATxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xXRAWxHEATxX
BoG said:
"Snipzor gives factcheck.org, and you respond with a pro-life blogger?

Whatever. I'm the fool here for thinking there wouldn't be some conspiracy theories sorrounding this president. Bush had the 2000 election and 9/11, Obama is going to have infantcide, being born in another country, and who knows what else.
"
I not only responded with a pro-life blogger. I also responded by saying that googling "Obama Supports Infanticide" gives lots of context/articles on him supporting infanticide. 

Like I said in my previous post, I never knew about the article Snipzor gave me. So I guess there are articles conflicting with each other on this subject. Arguing about this could go on forever, given the amount of articles out there on this subject, on both sides of the argument.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Snipzor
BoG said:
"Snipzor gives factcheck.org, and you respond with a pro-life blogger?

"
Conspiracy theories belong to every president for every fool to latch onto. I used to be one of those 9/11 trufers, god I was a fool. So I understand where they are going with this, but it's still wrong. This isn't Deus Ex, and there is no JC Denton to prove conspiracy theories true. But sadly some people think a link exists.

What are you gonna do? People are weird in their mental state.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By Willy105

Nothing like your standard issue controversy to make things interesting.

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vaultboy
lukeissxc said:
"In my opinion people should be mandated to take classes or do research on candidates and their policies before being able to vote."
I think it would probably be more interesting to have candidates win, not based on who they are, but on their policies.  Put a 50 question poll and based on people's "Agree", "Disagree", "No Strong Opinion" answers to policy questions the appropriate candidate would be elected.

As far as why Obama won this election, the media handed it to him on a silver platter.  A vast majority of people will do what the TV tells them.  The media flexed its muscles, grabbed the turtlewax, slapped a few coats on Obama, and the masses said, "Ooooo, shiny!" and bought one.  A two-dollar crack-whore with no teeth could've been elected with that level of media manipulation.  Not that I think it matters which asshole people think is running the country.

Sure, there were some people who actually read Obama's policies and agreed.  But, I'd be shocked if they even counted for even a tenth of a percentage of the number of votes he received.  Not that I think McCain had any greater of a percentage that looked at his policies.  I am still baffled by how the worst candidates for each party received the nomination.  Oligarchy manipulation for the win!

"The President in particular is very much a figurehead — he wields no real power whatsoever. [T]he qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it. Very very few people realize that the President and the Government have virtually no power at all."
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EvilDingo
VaultBoy said:
"lukeissxc said:
"In my opinion people should be mandated to take classes or do research on candidates and their policies before being able to vote."
I think it would probably be more interesting to have candidates win, not based on who they are, but on their policies.  Put a 50 question poll and based on people's "Agree", "Disagree", "No Strong Opinion" answers to policy questions the appropriate candidate would be elected."
VaultBoy said:
"...Not that I think it matters which asshole people think is running the country."

What's the supposed reason for such a poll, if it doesn't really matter who is running the country? 

However,
I do believe it's a problem in an election that is supposed to be democratic, if you make requirements of your voters that way... or for that matter through education as lukelssxc suggested.

But as I already mentioned earlier: 
I think that requiring voters to manually have to register them selves as voters, is in itself a problem as far as calling the election "democratic".
That mechanic alone removes some of those allegedly "wrong" kind of voters, who aren't qualified enough to vote.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#44  Edited By LordAndrew
xXRAWxHEATxX said:
"I not only responded with a pro-life blogger. I also responded by saying that googling "Obama Supports Infanticide" gives lots of context/articles on him supporting infanticide. "
You're using Google search results as proof that he supports infanticide? I'm not going to sort through that shit. Provide a link to one of these sites that you think is reliable and not spouting bullshit. Otherwise you have nothing to support your claim.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Commando

He was chosen because people thought it would be cool to witness the first black president. Honestly, I'm not even joking. I wish I was.

It's still early in his presidency, so I'll try to keep an open mind about him. Although I think the trillion dollar bailout is the stupidest thing he could have done, and in the end it will only prolong our suffering, because of hyper-inflation. It was a temporary fix, that will just make things worse in the end.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By Arkthemaniac

If affirmative action still exists at the end of Obama's presidency, he will be a hypocrite.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hexpane

That video is the opposite of funny, and typical of the radical right wing racist propaganda.  This is such an old and obvious troll topic, I find it surprising that even Smug has dug this corpse out of the grave, well done smug, your trolling has paid off yet again

Was bush elected because of his views or because 98% of republicans vote republican and 98% of democrats vote democrat and the "undecided" are a bunch of fence straddling attention whores who do bullshit like become
single issue voters?

The GOP scared the country into voting for Bush W twice because of "Terror, alert levels, freedoms, mexicans, n00cueLER proliferations"  What is so disgusting about this type of trolling is that this topic only comes up because
Obama is black.  If John Kerry had won in 04 the same thing would not have been said.  Most people that vote are idiots, most people in this country are idiots, the majority of the world's population are uneducated religious
right wing idiots.

But the Rush LImbaugh ditto heads see this as an attack opportunity, everyone voted for Obama because he is black!  OH NOES! 

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#48  Edited By Spiritof

Any politician who's only real "stimulation" seems to be in making the government an even bigger cluster fuck of a multi-headed Hydra monster than it already is can't be all bad, can he/she? They've always been able to straighten out all our problems in the past haven't they? Welfare, Social Security, Medicare, the CIA, now they want a part of the banking pie too?

If he can eliminate all the evil rich people, open markets, personal responsibility and freedom, then we can all live the dream of being equally miserable. I can't wait!

Obama was elected on his charisma and playing off the ludicrous guilty notion that America is now hated around the world, when America has been hated by someone around the world for as long as it's been in existence. We need to be building an enviroment where personal freedom can grow and all men are created equal. Not rich men and poor men, ALL men. Let them be free and make them live with their decisions in life. Teach a man to fish, don't take the fish away from the fisherman and then give it to a slug.

NovidAnon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NovidAnon

Man, Cool Cos didn't need no media son.

All he had to do was say - you don't want to have 4 more years of the same do you?

Sure it wasn't a landslide. But your friends at the media who could give a fuck less about you overhype everything to the detriment of an actual good looking chick (Michelle is a BITCH let me repeat myself, a BITCH, i'm sorry - you cant put any type beauty on her and say she gonna save a fairy industry, I mean damn women's clothes are damn women's clothes and nothing can look good on her... Im actually feel sorry for Obama, how can he marry such a chick...he must have been high - but that was them 70's man, we all got high son.)

Human Beings can be such tools, they take so much punishment before someone says enough. And when they get tired of the help, they will ask for more punishment. Thats should be your fear because after Obama tries, and tries and tries to get the help The country needs, they will tire of him and move on to the hottie, who is really a domme and will give them more punishment...

"Hows That DRILL BABY?" "GOOD MISTRESS"

God, Cool Cos need to do something about the countries psychology son before he can do anything else, yall some shellshocked motherfuckas.
Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#50  Edited By Spiritof

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And right there is why REAL political discussions have no place on an internet message board, let alone a gaming message board.