• 102 results
#1 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3565 posts) -

So I rewatched "American Werewolf in London" a few night ago and couldn't help but laugh throughout the film. That movie has some really good subtle humor to it that I couldn't appreciate when I was 9-10 years old. I especially thought the ending was pretty funny when they cut away from her crying and him dead and started playing the Marcel's rendition of Blue Moon. I remember that scene being really sad but the Marcel's music really got me in a fit of laughter. Even now I can appreciate the movie for its time for advancing special effects but man that movie was probably more funny than scary for me now that I'm in my mid 20's. Any of you guys experienced this? Watching a scary film some odd years later and feeling different about it?

#2 Posted by steelerzfan101 (272 posts) -

I remember seeing Stephen King's The Shining in like 5th grade. That movie scared the hell out of me back then, probably because it was at a sleepover around the time of midnight. But now, I just look back on it and don't get scared. Some parts are generally creepy but they don't really scare me...

#3 Posted by wrecks (2285 posts) -

Plenty of flicks scared me as a kid. Now, movies just don't scare me. I wish they did.

#4 Posted by Morningstar (2187 posts) -

No, there wasn't.

#5 Posted by Getz (3096 posts) -

Brave Little Toaster...

Also, since this is a video game website, Turok.

#6 Posted by Master_Funk (737 posts) -

Poltergeist. The face skin scene scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Nowadays, poltergeist is more funny than scary.

#7 Posted by ModernAlkemie (367 posts) -

Home Alone.

I was terrified of that furnace scene.

#8 Posted by StarFoxA (5160 posts) -

I was 7 when Spy Kids came out, and it scared the piss out of me.

#9 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

I was scared to death of this video. I mean, I had nightmares.

#10 Posted by Sgtpierceface (630 posts) -

Oddly enough, even as a kid I never found that river tunnel scene in Willy Wonka very scary. Most people say that part freaked them out, but I've always thought it was just weird.

#11 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Pet Cemetery, It, Child's Play.

Pretty much anything with kids in it. I know if I watched any of them today they would be insanely cheesy.

#12 Posted by Laurentech (127 posts) -

Sure. I had recurring nightmares about the Child's Play movies when I was very young. I also have distinct memories of totally flipping out watching The Argon Quest while I was at home alone one night. It's not even a horror movie. It's some shitty kids move made with puppets. It was pretty freaky to me, though. I don't find movies at all scary anymore, but that's to be expected.

#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Master_Funk

Poltergeist. The face skin scene scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Nowadays, poltergeist is more funny than scary.

YUUUUP. That part ruined me for a good few days as a kid. Another one was The Sixth Sense. The part where the kid said he found his dads gun and then turns around, revealing the giant hole in his skull. I hated that part.
#14 Edited by _Chad (962 posts) -

Jaws. When I was little that movie scared the shit out of me, I have aquaphobia too so I'm afraid of deep water.

#15 Posted by Draugen (664 posts) -

Superman 3. When that lady gets absorbed by the computer. Scarred me for life.

#16 Posted by tescovee (361 posts) -

For some reason "People Under the Stairs" was one of the scariest movies ever. Now the only thing thats scary about it is that it was green lit to be made.

#17 Posted by Solh0und (1797 posts) -

Child's Play. Now when I watch those movies, I just laugh at how cheesy they are.

#18 Posted by Ramone (2975 posts) -

Deep Impact, I don't now if I can watch that now either.

#19 Posted by GunstarRed (5294 posts) -

The Neverending Story. That wolf in the cave! man, that shit will mess up a child.

#20 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (620 posts) -

Not a movie, but when I listened to Radiohead as a kid their sound filled me with a weird sense of dread and desperation and I did not like listening to them at all.

Now they're one of my favorites.

#21 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3565 posts) -

@Ramone said:

Were you deathly afraid of Asteroids hitting the planet or something?

#22 Posted by zack1 (38 posts) -

Mars Attacks! and Gremlins.

#23 Posted by Meltac (2003 posts) -

Oh man, Jumanji scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. I was terrified of those wasps or what the hell they were.

#24 Posted by Ramone (2975 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft said:

@Ramone said:

Fuck yes. THEY COULD DESTROY THE PLANET AND WE CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT.

#25 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3565 posts) -

@Ramone said:

@I_Stay_Puft said:

@Ramone said:

Fuck yes. THEY COULD DESTROY THE PLANET AND WE CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT.

Oh shit man! That's a revelation that I'm kinda getting scared of.

#26 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3428 posts) -

Hook: the scene where they put a dude into a chest full of scorpions was a total WTF? moment. Also, the Penguin in Batman Returns was pretty messed up.

#27 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

Scream 1 lol. Looks kinda tame rewatching it now.

#28 Posted by ajamafalous (12031 posts) -
@Getz said:

Brave Little Toaster...

#29 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6305 posts) -

@ExplodeMode said:

Pet Cemetery, It, Child's Play.

Pretty much anything with kids in it. I know if I watched any of them today they would be insanely cheesy.

Holy shit, you read my mind. Chucky, Zelda, and that creepy old lady with the black teeth from It ruled my nightmares as a child.

#30 Edited by johnaze (73 posts) -

Return to Oz.

This especially freaked me out as a kid:

#31 Posted by midnightsandwich (25 posts) -

@zack1 said:

Mars Attacks! and Gremlins.

I second Mars Attack.

#32 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Hellraiser

#33 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3565 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE: Fun Fact the guy they put in the chest full of scorpions was Glenn Close dressed up as a guy.

@johnaze: Did that chicken just talk?

#34 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

The Wizard of Oz. Wicked Witch always kind of scared me. The movie doesn't scare me anymore, but I still don't really like it to this day.

#35 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Stephen Kings IT scared me as a kid, but I rewatched it recently and it's hilarious.

#36 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4418 posts) -

I can't specifically think of a movie but I know the Creep Show stuff scared the hell out of me, not anymore though even though they're still fun to watch.

#37 Posted by johnaze (73 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft: Yup! That chicken did indeed talk.

So if you have some kind of chicken fobia... There you go... Nightmare fuel...

#38 Posted by Sevenout (71 posts) -

@johnaze said:

Return to Oz.

This especially freaked me out as a kid:

That's because that movie was freaky as hell. It's really only barely appropriate for young kids. It didn't scare me per se, but definitely made be feel uneasy. To this day my parents still talk about what a messed up movie that was (I'm 28).

#39 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Jams said:

I was scared to death of this video. I mean, I had nightmares.

#40 Edited by pyromagnestir (4326 posts) -

I couldn't watch the throat slitting scene in Braveheart when I was younger... (I was probably 11 or so when I first saw it) but other than that nothing I can think of.

For some reason the game World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck freaked me out when I was little, but I played through it last week and I was fine. Fuck you Mickey! You and your magic don't scare me no more!

#41 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Evil Dead 2. Scared the utter piss out of me as a kid, especially the part where he has to collect the pages in the cellar. Now, I watch it and laugh and it's one of my favorite movies.

#42 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@GunstarRed said:

The Neverending Story. That wolf in the cave! man, that shit will mess up a child.

Me too! Also, the first Batman movie.

#43 Posted by Pezen (1630 posts) -

When I was around 6 or 7 (at least, that's what my memory tells me, I should probably double check that with my mom) they showed Stephen King's IT on tv as a mini-series. I remember sitting there watching it with my mom being down right terrified to the bones of my body. I think what terrified me the most (aside from it probably being my first exposure to "scary films") was simply the notion that kids were the only ones that could see Pennywise so there was no being saved by the adults. I can still recall how afraid I was of that film, because since then I have never been that afraid of any movie. It's a specific feeling when you're feeling it physically. Today it's just fun, and it probably started my liking of clowns (as opposed to fear them, for some reason).

#44 Edited by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

Pet Sematary was one for me. Gage scared the living shit out of me when I saw it as a kid, but when I watched it again a few years ago, I thought it was pretty dumb and cheesy. But no horror movies really scare me anymore, some just kind of creep me out.

The scariest movie I think I've seen as an adult was Jesus Camp.

#45 Posted by Akeldama (4253 posts) -
#46 Posted by Actinium (7 posts) -

'The Lost Boys' put me off of chinese food for about a decade but now it is just 80s goof with strong undercurrents of homo eroticism.

#47 Edited by Socialone (202 posts) -

Edward Scissorhands. They had to stop the movie half way through in kindergarten because we were all terrified. I couldn't sleep for weeks after that.

#48 Posted by TheLark (150 posts) -

It the clown. Was forced to watch it as a 6 year old, to this day clowns terrify me and i shall never ever name a child georgie for fear that he may actually want a balloon!

#49 Posted by Nightriff (5147 posts) -

Child's Play 2, it was the only movie that I saw as a kid and would have nightmares and even peed my pants once. I still remember the ending where it takes place in a toy store with all the chucky dolls. I haven't seen it since but you wouldn't have the same effect on me. Also I will say Alien. Watched it recently and it is a good film, just not as tense as I remembered it. Enjoyed the long set ups for characters deaths, but I wasn't ever scared or even at the edge of my seat. Aliens holds up better than the first one.

#50 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3565 posts) -

@Pezen: Haha I remember IT. I remember that led to my fear of my parent's porcelain clown dolls they had in the living room and me not being able to take showers for awhile. Was a pretty stinky kid for a couple of months in first grade.