• 102 results
#51 Posted by PenguinDust (12523 posts) -

The Wizard of Oz. Seriously, them flying monkeys used to freak me out.

#52 Edited by NTM (7383 posts) -

I have one that scared me as a kid, but wasn't a horror, and wasn't a movie; it was a sitcom. Do you remember Alf? I'm sure you do. Yeah, he scared me, which in and of itself is kind of funny.

It's weird, I remember this song, but the other intro. I only mention this because there were plenty of things as a kid that scared me that should have scared me, but this is not one of them that should have.

#53 Posted by w34ky (133 posts) -

IT and They

#54 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

I was afraid of everything, and I still am.

#55 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Getz said:

Brave Little Toaster...

Also, since this is a video game website, Turok.

Brave Little Toaster still freaks me out.

#56 Posted by Fat_Magnum (68 posts) -

I second Home Alone

Dat furnace. Nothing else that I can think of, oddly enough.

#57 Posted by John1912 (1886 posts) -

I was pretty young, and dont recall exactly why, but Children of the Corn scared me. Other then that nothing did. Grew up with all those great 80s horror movies. Man I miss the 80s.....

#58 Edited by CaLe (3988 posts) -

Freddy Kreuger movies. GOD DAMN YOU FREDDY.

I guess they were called Nightmare on Elm Street or something, but who gives a shit about the real name. They were ”Freddy Kreuger movies” as far as I'm concerned.

I remember literally praying to god one night, begging him to make me stop thinking about Freddy Kreuger so that I could actually sleep. I shit you not, I almost immediately forgot all about F.K and went to sleep peacefully. Now I'm an atheist so uh, yeah. Sorry about that one, god. Hope we still cool.

#59 Posted by Getz (3018 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Getz said:

Brave Little Toaster...

Also, since this is a video game website, Turok.

Brave Little Toaster still freaks me out.

Actually, I haven't seen it since I was a little'un.

#60 Posted by Captain_Insano (1541 posts) -

The TV show 'Unsolved Mysteries'. That hosts voice was so damned creepy and it was always about something like 'and this child went missing and was never seen again'. Ruined so many nights of sleep as a kid. The show still weirds me out a bit.

#61 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

For me the Chuckie movies scared me senseless and actually made me terrified of dolls mostly of the glass kind with those creepy ass staring. I still haven't watched it but I know I wouldn't be scared. I don't watch it because of the loss of interest in the movie. Maybe one day I will.

#62 Edited by Yummylee (21683 posts) -

Speaking for movies that weren't inherently scary, the creepy dream sequences of Dumbo freaked me out. As did the dream sequence during Winnie the Pooh when there's all of these honey pots coming to life and dancing around... The horror, I tells ya!

As for horror movies, Scream was pretty unnerving back when, but nowadays I appreciate it more for its sly wit and commentary than as something to get some scares out of me.

EDIT: Also I always used to find Basil The Great Mouse Detective to be pretty scary, too.

#63 Edited by Yummylee (21683 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@GunstarRed said:

The Neverending Story. That wolf in the cave! man, that shit will mess up a child.

Me too! Also, the first Batman movie.

Maan, I still love the opening scene to that movie with the two thugs on the rooftop. Especially when Batman rises up behind them after being shot... it's framed so perfectly as if he's some sort of slasher villain for criminals. So fucking awesome.

#64 Posted by EVO (3913 posts) -

Fucking Twister. I remember staying at my uncles house a few days after seeing it. He lived near a busy road, and every time a truck would pass by my nine year old brain was convinced it was a tornado coming to kill as all. Needless to say I didn't get any sleep that night.

#65 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@McGhee said:

@GunstarRed said:

The Neverending Story. That wolf in the cave! man, that shit will mess up a child.

Me too! Also, the first Batman movie.

Maan, I still love the opening scene to that movie with the two thugs on the rooftop. Especially when Batman rises up behind them after being shot... it's framed so perfectly as if he's some sort of slasher villain for criminals. So fucking awesome.

Yes! Man I need to watch that movie again.

#66 Posted by DoctorTran (1562 posts) -

Army of Darkness used to scare the shut out of me when I was a kid.

#67 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3860 posts) -

There's a lot of these. One that comes to mind is 13 Ghosts, which is laughably dumb now.

#68 Posted by notdavid (839 posts) -

When I was a kid, there was a tv series based off of the Goosebumps books. I wasn't allowed to watch it because my mom thought it would scare the shit out of me. When she was asleep, I watched it anyway, because who the fuck does she think she is? I'm 8, not 3. I can handle this shit.

I think it was Monster Blood Part III. The one where the monster blood hijacked a plane. I turned it off after 30 seconds and almost shit my pants.

#69 Edited by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

Fucking Chucky ruined me as a kid. Any slasher film I happened to catch when I was younger was terrifying, but a killer doll scared the hell out of me.

Edit: Forgot the actual name of the movie was Child's Play.

#70 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

For some odd reason, I remember getting completely freaked out by a scene in the Phantom Menace. Ran out of the room and everything.

Can't think of anything else, though.

#71 Posted by Yummylee (21683 posts) -

@notdavid said:

When I was a kid, there was a tv series based off of the Goosebumps books. I wasn't allowed to watch it because my mom thought it would scare the shit out of me. When she was asleep, I watched it anyway, because who the fuck does she think she is? I'm 8, not 3. I can handle this shit.

I think it was Monster Blood Part III. The one where the monster blood hijacked a plane. I turned it off after 30 seconds and almost shit my pants.

Oh shit, I remember that episode! I can remember feeling pretty shaken up myself after watching that for the first time. The episode with the robot (?) piano teacher was another particularly creepy one, too.

#72 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3860 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

Fucking Chucky ruined me as a kid. Any slasher film I happened to catch when I was younger was terrifying, but a killer doll scared the hell out of me.

Dude this is a good one. Had a big ass doll that looked similar in our basement that scared me as a result. Also my mother bought some awful little statue/doll thing that is absolutely terrifying looking and kept it in a dark hallway in my house I always had to go through to go to bed and it was always pitch black and I would just sprint. This doll looked basically just like the homeless guy in Mulholland Drive.

#73 Edited by IAmNotBatman (646 posts) -

The bug in Men In Black gave me nightmares at 7 years of age.

#74 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

I was scared of Mars Attacks when it came out, specifically the scene when they first start attacking (with that title I should have seen it coming) and one of the soldiers is shot with a ray guy and is slowly burnt away to a skeleton. I think it may have been Jack Black's character in the film thinking about it, I think the weirdness of it all just sort of freaked me out.

I watched it again a couple years ago and while it is certainly still a pretty bizarre film I didn't find it in anyway scary (it is a comedy after all) and enjoyed it quite a lot.

#75 Edited by ripelivejam (3986 posts) -

Phantasm. i only saw ads for it.

somehow that flying silver ball of death scared the living fuck out of me as a kid.

watched a scene recently where it killed this guy and it was the most cheesy, ridiculous thing imaginable. it may have just been how they advertised it but it was genuinely terrifying to me before. :/

edit: also most of you are way too damn young! :D

#76 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -
#77 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

Star Wars. Chewbacca scared the hell out of me as a kid. Obviously I got over that when I got older but for awhile I couldn't watch any of the movies. It really wasn't until the prequels started coming out that I got into Star Wars.

#78 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (622 posts) -

Maybe some of the Friday the 13th movies, but when I saw those it happened to be a Friday the 13th and it was storming outside so circumstances were helping the movies. Nowadays I wish there was a movie out there that would terrify me, but I haven't seen any. Some that maybe have been a little gross at times, but nothing terrifying.

#79 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Chucky made me change the channel or not want to be in the room. Not movie related but clowns freaked me out as a kid and I would always try to hide from them. Them freaky faces!!

#80 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -

The original Salam's Lot freaked me the fuck out.

#81 Posted by ripelivejam (3986 posts) -

@glyn said:

for a guy with scissor fingers that was a surprisingly nonviolent movie

i was actually kinda strangely disappointed when i first saw it

#82 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

Pumpkinhead scared the shit out of me.

#83 Posted by kindgineer (2730 posts) -

Stephen King's "IT." I was terrified until a couple of years ago to walk near a sewage drain of any sort.

#84 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Alien by far that movie scared the shit out of me aswell as that found footage movie that came out before Blair Witch, it was about Aliens landing on a farm and terrorizing a family can't remember what it was called.

On the other hand Jaws scared me for life.

#85 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

Hmm...pretty sure that as a young tike, I was terrified of James and the Giant Peach (live-action/animated) movie that released in the 1990's. Can't recall being specifically afraid of it, but from what my parents and aunt told me, I apparently freaked out and screamed with that movie.

#86 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3408 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Alien by far that movie scared the shit out of me aswell as that found footage movie that came out before Blair Witch, it was about Aliens landing on a farm and terrorizing a family can't remember what it was called.

Was the movie Signs with Joaquim Phoenix and Mel Gibson?

#87 Posted by P_Pigly_Hogswine (102 posts) -

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original). Scared the hell out of me as a kid because I lived near a rundown house on a hill that always reminded me of it. The Dark Crystal when the skeksis attack each other is pretty full on for a kids movie. Maybe one of the old Howling movies too, when the person contorts into a wolf.

Mind you, that was back in the early 80s when horror movies were more about what you didn't see. Your imagination ran more wild. Nowadays it's all gore and no suspense.

#88 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Was the movie Signs with Joaquim Phoenix and Mel Gibson?

No it was from the 90s found a clip from it, it was called Alien Abduction : Incident in Lake County

#89 Posted by P_Pigly_Hogswine (102 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: You just reminded me. Communion, the alien abuction movie with Christopher Walken scared the shit out of me. That peeking alien scene, far out. Was scary because it's so unremarkable. Just late at night, in your own house, and something is peeking from around the corner of the next room.

#90 Edited by Camoufrage (84 posts) -

Spirited Away used to scare me so much I couldn't finish it. Back then I didn't know it was such an amazing movie!

#91 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@P_Pigly_Hogswine: I can't tell what ones the alien

Yeah just watched some of the bits again and still fucking creepy movie even with the cheesy acting.

#92 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

The look of Edward Scissorhands always unnerved me as a child. But I remember being really young and walking in on my parents watching Fire in the Sky, specificaly the scene when he's being experimented on. I remember screaming and then my dad holding me as my mom scrambled to find the remote and changed the channel to SNL. That stuck with me for a long time and a couple of years ago I saw the scene again and it stayed with me for a few days before I got over it. Now I can watch it no problem. Here's the scene:

#93 Posted by PandaBear (1376 posts) -

Not a movie - but the intro to Twin Peaks (and the show) scared me as a kid. So did most of the Tom Baker Doctor Who era... after school ABC was terrifying. Movies - Scream 2. Used to scare me, now I just love it.

#94 Posted by golguin (3932 posts) -

Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

#95 Posted by gaminghooligan (1447 posts) -

The Wizard of Oz. Those monkeys scared the shit out of me lol. Also the boat ride in Willy Wonka was and is still terrifying.

#96 Posted by PatPandaHat (112 posts) -

Alien 3 did a pretty fantastic job of breaking my head as a kid, enough so that I had to get a lock on my closet just so a xenomorph wouldn't come out and kill me. Nowadays, I'm not sure what my problem was.

#97 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

Man day of the dead scared the shit out of me as a kit but saw it years later and it was none thing.

#98 Posted by P_Pigly_Hogswine (102 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@P_Pigly_Hogswine: I can't tell what ones the alien

Can you imagine Walken trying to abduct you into his UFO? "Come on, into the ship. Chop chop. Don't make me ask you again."

#99 Posted by Shimmy (184 posts) -

@Draugen said:

Superman 3. When that lady gets absorbed by the computer. Scarred me for life.

Hell and damn yes.

#100 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

There were a lot of movies I was scared off as a kid. The Halloween series for one. Now, nothing scares me.