#1 Posted by MasterRain (313 posts) -

The Wu-Tang clan was designed to get big, and then they'd all get successful solo careers. Kinda happened with Whiskey Media. Giantbomb and Comic Vine got bought by CBS, Tested snapped up by the Mythbusters, I think Screened and Anime Vice still exist...

and yes, I am asking you to photoshop everyone from Whiskey media onto the Wu-Tang clan :D

#2 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

It was built up for the sole purpose of selling it off and making more money than was spent building it up. If it was as a whole or cut up into bits the owner did not care. It was just about making a profit as any business is.

#3 Posted by FLStyle (4649 posts) -

I'm sure if they had gotten more advertising money and more people subscribed, Whiskey Media would still be alive today, or lasted longer and eventually sold at a higher price.

Truth was it simply wasn't making enough money to stay afloat, selling was the only option.

#4 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

"Hey yo Tony from Comic Vine dot com! hit me with that shit one time!" doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well

#5 Edited by NegativeCero (2988 posts) -

No.

Every single member of Wu-Tang can rhyme and hold their own doing it. Sure there were more popular members, but it always goes back to everyone having something to contribute. Going along with this premise, some branches of Whiskey were not contributing, or were hanging by a thread (Screened and Anime Vice).

#6 Edited by SSully (4150 posts) -

@euandewar said:

"Hey yo Tony from Comic Vine dot com! hit me with that shit one time!" doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well

Shame on a Davis that tries to run game on a Davis whose buck wild on the trigga?

@negativecero: While Screened certainly wasn't as popular, Rorie busted his ass to make that site as relevant as it was. He was easily the hardest working person in that office in terms of the content he pumped out. Maybe I am over reacting a bit, but it doesn't seem fair to put him under the umbrella of "not contributing"

#7 Posted by jiggajoe14 (664 posts) -

Nah they are like a media Boot Camp Clik.

#8 Posted by Pudge (881 posts) -

@negativecero: Screened video content was right up there with Giant Bomb on most weeks, and Behind the Screened Door was great too. I wont argue for Anime Vice, but Screened was going places before the split.

#9 Edited by Bane122 (786 posts) -

Somewhat on topic, does anyone else feel like Comic Vine is being marginalized some? With Sara gone Tony's the only person in the office there and he looked so lonely in the newest mail bag. What little video content they used to do seems to have mostly dries up as well.

I'm not meaning to complain, and Tony's still busting his ass with multiple podcasts and reviews/articles, but I'd really hate to see that site fall on hard times. Hopefully they can hire a new person for the office now that Sara's fully gone and pep it up some.

I just kind of feel like CBSI doesn't care too much about what happens to it.

#10 Posted by WilliamHenry (1202 posts) -

Screened was the only movie site I've ever really cared about. They actually had interesting articles and video, unlike most movie sites where they are just reporting the same news as every other movie site. I'm still bummed about what happened to it. I haven't visited it since Rorie finally left.

I've always liked Comic Vine too. I'd be super bummed if it went under or got shut down. Hopefully CBSi sees something in it and gets Tony and the site the help it needs.

#11 Posted by Royce_McCutcheon (201 posts) -

As I understand it, Comic Vine gets assloads of traffic.

#12 Posted by Kazzenn (124 posts) -

Screened was an awesome site. Besties and Defend Your Movie introduced me to a lot of movies I hadn't seen.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -

No.

Every single member of Wu-Tang can rhyme and hold their own doing it. Sure there were more popular members, but it always goes back to everyone having something to contribute. Going along with this premise, some branches of Whiskey were not contributing, or were hanging by a thread (Screened and Anime Vice).

The thing about Anime Vice is that even though the editorial content was lacking, the site's community had more traffic than at least Screened. So it was doing fairly well, given that Whiskey Media's higher ups treated it as the redheaded stepchild.

#14 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@negativecero said:

No.

The thing about Anime Vice is that even though the editorial content was lacking, the site's community had more traffic than at least Screened. So it was doing fairly well, given that Whiskey Media's higher ups treated it as the redheaded stepchild.

Real shame that Anime Vice was ignored. I think that that site had a lot of potential

#15 Posted by wjb (1653 posts) -

Someone's in the obligatory Wu-Tang phase of his/her life...

#16 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@negativecero said:

No.

Real shame that Anime Vice was ignored. I think that that site had a lot of potential

It's actually doing relatively well now, given the circumstances. Still has its community, and Tom Pinchuk is providing regular editorial content. The thing it most desperately needs at this point is a site redesign, as it's still creaking along on the same Whiskey code that was in place at the time of the sale.

#17 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

No.

Every single member of Wu-Tang can rhyme and hold their own doing it.