#1 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Here's what I don't get about flagging. Users and mods don't have the same view on everything. One user can be offended by one thing while another isn't. A user might flag a thread that he or she finds offensive, what if a mod doesn't find anything wrong with it? Then the user just gains a karma point or should I say keep. What are your thoughts?

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13202 posts) -

Karma keeps people from flagging every little thing just because they think it's stupid or that it doesn't add anything to the conversation. Unlimited flagging would be a nightmare for the mods.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I don't like it because it punishes users for complying with the system. I'd flag more threads if I, you know, could.

#4 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

I have never run into an issue with flagging karma and I don't even really know how it works. How many things does an average user flag? I maybe flag one thing a week if that.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

How many things does an average user flag?

Have you seen all the spam threads here? And how clustered they can be chronologically?

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I don't like it because it punishes users for complying with the system. I'd flag more threads if I, you know, could.

Just ask a mod to reset you. I've done it twice now. And they are usually pretty quick about it.

#7 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

I have never run into an issue with flagging karma and I don't even really know how it works. How many things does an average user flag? I maybe flag one thing a week if that.

A user gets a karma point for every flag he does. If a mod finds the flag reasonable he removes the point. Once your karma total=10 then you are no longer able to flag.

Edit: my bad 5.

#8 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

They need to having flagging on the mobile site. I rarely use the forums from my PC or my iPad, and I imagine I'm not the only one in that situation.

I also wish you could make comments when flagging, considering the circumstances you mention, Sexiest of Toads.

#9 Posted by SSully (4187 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Why can't you? If you are out of flags then just follow the message that pops up and you know, message a mod. I had to do it once and they fixed it for me really quick.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@SSully:

Is that what the link does? I thought it linked to the moderators page on the user list.

#11 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

They need to having flagging on the mobile site. I rarely use the forums from my PC or my iPad, and I imagine I'm not the only one in that situation. I also wish you could make comments when flagging, considering the circumstances you mention, Sexiest of Toads.

I was thinking about the same thing today. The comment thing.

#12 Posted by adoggz (2067 posts) -

Karma? What is this, reddit? Are we gonna be all "le rage comic about swag and friendzoning" next?

#13 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

I can't flag again :(

#14 Posted by Trace (3556 posts) -

We've made suggestions to Dave of this sort, having karma reduce on successful flags and allowing users to add comments to their flags. I think both are good ideas, but I've no clue if such improvements will be a part of the new site. Rest assured, though, that the staff's had these sorts of ideas suggested to them.

To clarify real quick on the karma system: 5 points is where you can't flag anymore, and 10 or more is where you can't post. When it's working properly, karma should go down a point every day. If you run out of flags, just PM the mod team, and we'll usually reset you after making sure you're not abusing the system or on the receiving end of a lot of flags. As for unlimited flagging, beyond being a potential nightmare as TooWalrus suggests, the biggest issue would likely be a sharp increase in users using flags punitively against each other for disagreements or silly matters that aren't actually violations of the rules (which isn't a good idea, by the way. We can easily see when you're trying to do that).

#15 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -

Wait, when did the Karma system come back?

#16 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I need my karma reset, never think about it, but i kinda agree with the king. It makes people not want to flag.

#17 Posted by SSully (4187 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@SSully:

Is that what the link does? I thought it linked to the moderators page on the user list.

That's exactly what it does. Select any mod, preferably one that is online, and message them.

#18 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

@PsEG said:

As for unlimited flagging, beyond being a potential nightmare as TooWalrus suggests, the biggest issue would likely be a sharp increase in users using flags punitively against each other for disagreements or silly matters that aren't actually violations of the rules (which isn't a good idea, by the way. We can easily see when you're trying to do that).

This has actually happened in the past, believe it or not.

#19 Posted by CatsAkimbo (626 posts) -

Where do you even see your karma rating? I've only clicked "flag" on posts that are obviously automated spambot type things.

#20 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

never knew there were karma points

i've only flagged once or twice and that's because others already flag it beforehand

#21 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

Here's what I don't get about flagging. Users and mods don't have the same view on everything. One user can be offended by one thing while another isn't. A user might flag a thread that he or she finds offensive, what if a mod doesn't find anything wrong with it? Then the user just gains a karma point or should I say keep. What are your thoughts?

I don't think it's just that users and mods can have conflicting views, I think it's also that some users feel they want to flag what could be problem content just to be safe. The karma system could be better though, as PsEG said there may be a change in the redesign and we've made suggestions, but most of the stuff about the site update is just speculation. Personally I think a good way of dealing with it would be to have separate karma counts for flagging people and being flagged yourself.

However, part of the problem is that some users make the karma system much worse for themselves than it needs to be. With certain users, even when they have questions about flagging and karma, they don't ask us or read the FAQ in the thread pinned to the top of the forums. And even when there's a sign in a user's face saying "You're out of flags, contact a mod", for whatever reason many don't, but then complain they're out of flags or appear confused about how to have them reset.

People don't need to be afraid of flagging bringing them closer to a ban, because as long as they're not abusing the forums they potentially have unlimited karma resets. Karma isn't meant to be this system which keeps you inching closer and closer to not being able to post because you're reporting people, it's supposed to be an automated safeguard to stop people going flag-crazy or violating rules until we can deal with the issue. Alas, that's not quite how it's played out in some cases.

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@CatsAkimbo said:

Where do you even see your karma rating? I've only clicked "flag" on posts that are obviously automated spambot type things.

You don't. You can infer it from what you get when you flag somebody (IE you're at 5 if it says you can't flag anymore).

#23 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

The mods are lovely people who will reset your flags as long as you PM them pictures of cute kittens when mentioning your flags.

It is IMPERATIVE that you include a picture of SOMETHING CUTE. Actually, it's a good idea to send them pictures of cute animals even if you don't need your flags reset. They LOVE that.

#24 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

@Gamer_152: Wanna reset my karma? I filled up on those stupid nutty rich comments in the past before I even touched the forums. I always thought it was an error with the site because when you flag something in the comments it doesn't mention karma. It just says it couldn't be flagged at this time and to contact a mod.

#25 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@CatsAkimbo said:

As with real karma, one cannot see how much karma they have at any point.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Ravenlight:

Preferably those kitties are in somebody's lap?

#27 Posted by Bocam (3753 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Ravenlight:

Preferably those kitties are in somebody's lap?

No, they have to be wearing kilts.

#28 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -

I wasn't aware that there was a karma? Where? And I've been on here since day one.

#29 Posted by Milkman (16800 posts) -

I'd be willing to bet that karma won't exist after the re-design.

#30 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

For as long as I been on this site. I never flagged anyone at all its not my style.

#31 Posted by believer258 (11913 posts) -

It could be better, yes, but limited flagging is not something that should go away. Some users on here would then go flagging all willy-nilly and give the mods a real headache.

#32 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

if i ever get offended by anything i just sit in a corner and cry until my hurt feelings get better.

#33 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

What is karma and where do I even see it? I'm assuming it's why I suffer temporary bans all the time, automatically.

Flagging is for babies.

#34 Posted by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

@PsEG said:

We've made suggestions to Dave of this sort, having karma reduce on successful flags and allowing users to add comments to their flags. I think both are good ideas, but I've no clue if such improvements will be a part of the new site. Rest assured, though, that the staff's had these sorts of ideas suggested to them.

To clarify real quick on the karma system: 5 points is where you can't flag anymore, and 10 or more is where you can't post. When it's working properly, karma should go down a point every day. If you run out of flags, just PM the mod team, and we'll usually reset you after making sure you're not abusing the system or on the receiving end of a lot of flags. As for unlimited flagging, beyond being a potential nightmare as TooWalrus suggests, the biggest issue would likely be a sharp increase in users using flags punitively against each other for disagreements or silly matters that aren't actually violations of the rules (which isn't a good idea, by the way. We can easily see when you're trying to do that).

You mean..kind of like what happens on Gamespot?

#35 Edited by Sweep (8861 posts) -

I bitched at Dave about this repeatedly :D When the new site design gets dropped (Should be happening in the next couple of months) the karma system will be getting an overhaul. Probably not as a direct result of my bitching, but whatever...

So we can all look forward to having a new set of tool to complain about! Huzzah!

#36 Posted by Fallen189 (5008 posts) -

i also find it bizarre that you can't flag mod posts.

#37 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@Fallen189
>_> maybe let it go. I've seen you hating on Sweep for like 2 months and I think it's time to move on.
#38 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

I know, right? Mods need to be held accountable! No more shall Sweep wake me up at night to tell me he wants to be inside me! No more shall PsEG post topics containing all sorts of weird conspiracy graphs! And no more shall MattyFTM post obscene sexual pictures with each and every post! (I should probably end this by clarifying that this is all a joke.)

#39 Posted by Trace (3556 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

It wouldn't achieve anything. Allowing users to potentially disable mod posting rights at any time is completely backwards and prone to extreme abuse, and any flagged posts would just show up in our queue. If you have a problem with a mod or something a mod posts, the best solution is to contact Dave, since he's the one in charge of all of us.

@Flawed_System said:

Honestly, I've no clue how Gamespot's system works, as I never had a reason to dig into their forums. I can't begin to assume if there's any problems their moderation system might or might not have.

#40 Posted by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

@PsEG said:

@Flawed_System said:

Honestly, I've no clue how Gamespot's system works, as I never had a reason to dig into their forums. I can't begin to assume if there's any problems their moderation system might or might not have.

It's pretty corrupt. You should take a look at it some time. Learn from their mistakes.

#41 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@CatsAkimbo said:

You don't. You can infer it from what you get when you flag somebody (IE you're at 5 if it says you can't flag anymore).

I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to see my karma rating. I think it'd be a little funny to see if I've been flagged for something. Then I'd play a little game where I guess what it was that I was flagged for.

I rarely flag though, because if it's something stupid like a youtube spam thread I assume someone else will get it, and if it's something real bad I'll pm the mods since that's more expedient.

@Ravenlight: I've been sending the mods naked pictures of myself and you're telling me that this whole time I could've just been sending mods cute pictures of animals instead? Fuck!

#42 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3153 posts) -

I had no idea we had karma points either.