Website Browser Support

SpikeSpiegel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SpikeSpiegel00

Hello, this question is for any Web Developers out there in the GB community. I was just wandering which browsers you focus on supporting when developing for a site. For example, do you test the sites in the many versions of Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc? In perfect world I’m sure you would like support as many as possible, sadly this probably isn’t the case.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

At the very least you should try to test in the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer. You'll also probably want to try the default browser on a couple of Android and iOS phones.

SpikeSpiegel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpikeSpiegel00

@chaser324: Thanks Chaser324 very appreciated, Going to have look at some of your suggestions. I usually spend most time combating IE as it can be such a pain! lol But I'm going to have a closer look at IOS and Android. :)

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main browsers @chaser324 mentioned are definitely important, and one area that I find clients place a lot of importance on is mobile. The different versions of Safari on iOS often behave differently, especially if you're going heavy on the Javascript. There are a number of sites out there that let you view your site through browser and phone emulators, which are dead handy. I've used mobiletest.me and http://browsershots.org/ when I haven't had the hardware/software lying around.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5 chaser324  Moderator

@macka1080: I do occasionally use http://browsershots.org/, but I'd caution you to not trust it to be 100% accurate. If it indicates a possible problem, you should investigate it further in some other way.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Agreed. I use it mostly as a quick-fire test if I don't have access to a virtual machine (or the actual hardware).