Weiner falls limp to the pressure, strokes his way out of office.

• 98 results
Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Surkov
@MikeinSC said:
@Surkov said:
@MikeinSC said:
@Surkov said:
I'm actually sadden by this. As a Democrat, I'm ashamed at how spineless and submissive most democrats are. Weiner was different and we need more people like him.
Don't the Dems already have enough people with impulse control problems and embarrassing acts in their past? Heck, Barney Frank is a poster child for that nonsense.
Both sides have their pariahs, but at least Weiner was good at his job.   
Judging by a spiraling deficit and national debt so massive each American is on the hook for over $500,000 each, illegal wars in Syria amd Yemen, deteriorating alliances, Iran openly discussing developing nukes now --- I don't think his efficacy is really a strong suit.
I hope you don't legitimately think one person could control or affect all of those issues.     
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By MikkaQ

All I have to say is that when I'm old, and I look down to my grandkids I can happily reminisce about the time when celebrities, politicians and the like had no concept of responsibility on the internet and literally had no idea what they were doing.

But seriously, I have no sympathy for someone who screws up like that on Twitter. Twitter's about as public as it gets, why don't people seem to comprehend that?

This is all politics aside, of course. I don't have a stance on the issue. Just think people need to think more.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By MikeinSC
@Surkov said:
@MikeinSC said:
@Surkov said:
@MikeinSC said:
@Surkov said:
I'm actually sadden by this. As a Democrat, I'm ashamed at how spineless and submissive most democrats are. Weiner was different and we need more people like him.
Don't the Dems already have enough people with impulse control problems and embarrassing acts in their past? Heck, Barney Frank is a poster child for that nonsense.
Both sides have their pariahs, but at least Weiner was good at his job.   
Judging by a spiraling deficit and national debt so massive each American is on the hook for over $500,000 each, illegal wars in Syria amd Yemen, deteriorating alliances, Iran openly discussing developing nukes now --- I don't think his efficacy is really a strong suit.
I hope you don't legitimately think one person could control or affect all of those issues.     
His preferred policies only exacerbate the problems. If he won't fix the problems, then he is not terribly useful.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

So what's the big deal? 
I masturbate on chatroulette all the time, don't see how thats different.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By artelinarose

@Pinworm45 said:

@Artemesia said:

So the dude has base human urges and that's somehow bad enough that he needs to be pressured into quitting his job as a representative of the people?

Whatever.

Are you ser.. Fuck it, nevermind

teehee

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#56  Edited By the8bitNacho

This scandal has nothing to do with his political viability. He shouldn't have caved. Obama has probably gotten his dick wet in a dozen women that aren't his wife since coming into office. Clinton did it, and so did Kennedy. Politicians cheat on their spouses for some reason; that leaves room to question their personal morality, but so long as they're doing their jobs, who gives a flying fuck?

This annoys me.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By MikeinSC
@Kombat said:

This scandal has nothing to do with his political viability. He shouldn't have caved. Obama has probably gotten his dick wet in a dozen women that aren't his wife since coming into office. Clinton did it, and so did Kennedy. Politicians cheat on their spouses for some reason; that leaves room to question their personal morality, but so long as they're doing their jobs, who gives a flying fuck?

This annoys me.

Are you saying Obama should be impeached?
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Commando
@MikeinSC
@Kombat said:

This annoys me.

Are you saying Obama should be impeached?
I agree!
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By damnboyadvance

Maybe the guy was a great leader. But in his position, he shouldn't be doing things like that. Can't say I disagree with him resigning.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@benjaebe

Fucking lame, really. You can have Republican sex scandal after Republican sex scandal, but the moment a Democrat tweets a picture of his junk to some chick he's never met and he's basically forced to resign.

He was under tremendous pressure from his own party to step down. Also, the public anger is less about what he did, and more about the arrogant, pathetic excuses he made to try and cover it up.

If he had just said "that's my wiener' and winked to the cameras, he'd be getting high fives right now instead.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Karl_Boss

Press forced him out pretty much....he didn't have a choice.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By Skald

@benjaebe said:

Fucking lame, really. You can have Republican sex scandal after Republican sex scandal, but the moment a Democrat tweets a picture of his junk to some chick he's never met and he's basically forced to resign.

I think one of the biggest factors was Twitter. Well, that and the fact that the photos leaked everywhere.

Not to say he deserved what he got, it just didn't surprise me that he got what he did.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Red12b
@TurboMan said:

I will be forever a fan of this guy after this rant for healthcare to 9/11 heroes:

This guy is a fucking champion, and because prudish motherfuckers he had to bail,  

America is such a fucked up place. 
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By alternate

I have not watched The Daily Show since the network over here cancelled it last year but is he not a friend of JS and last time I saw that show they were championing him as the last honest man in Washington.  Has there been a mea culpa on the show?

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MikeinSC
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
 The press? The press tried to avoid reporting it as much as possible. Breitbart spearheaded it and his behavior towards a reporter (attempting to have her arrested when entering his office) and a CNN producer (calling him a "jackass") turned the media against him.

Also, Breitbart at his first press conference was the single greatest moment of the entire scandal.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Karl_Boss
@MikeinSC: I meant to say media.
Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
@MikeinSC said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
 The press? The press tried to avoid reporting it as much as possible. Breitbart spearheaded it and his behavior towards a reporter (attempting to have her arrested when entering his office) and a CNN producer (calling him a "jackass") turned the media against him.   Also, Breitbart at his first press conference was the single greatest moment of the entire scandal.
They might have tried to avoid it at the beginning, but the press most certainly played a role in forcing him out after they turned on him. Everywhere you looked it was the definition of a fucking "media circus" as headline writers tried to one up each other with the dick jokes. 

The fact that we, as a nation, couldn't get through this scandal--regardless of the result--without giggling like little schoolgirls at every turn or shouting out "Were you over seven inches?" at a resignation speech is what saddens me the most about all this. We're a nation of twelve year olds masquerading as adults.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#68  Edited By citizenkane

His constituents should've decided whether or not he should stay in office when his re-election bid comes up again in 2012.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By grilledcheez

He made a simple mistake and we lost one of the only good politicians in congress.

YamiB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By YamiB
@MikeinSC said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
 The press? The press tried to avoid reporting it as much as possible. Breitbart spearheaded it and his behavior towards a reporter (attempting to have her arrested when entering his office) and a CNN producer (calling him a "jackass") turned the media against him.   Also, Breitbart at his first press conference was the single greatest moment of the entire scandal.
I think the press was somewhat reluctant at the start with Brietbart being the main pusher or the story since he has a history of spreading blatant falsehoods, though I think it was more clear from the start here that he was on to an actual scandal. 

I don't think that Weiner should have resigned. He is one of the few worthwhile politicians that I would group with people like Bernie Sanders.  The only area I know I really disagreed with him was on the Middle East particularly in reference to Israel.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Commando
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#72  Edited By Hailinel

@GrilledCheez01 said:

He made a simple mistake and we lost one of the only good politicians in congress.

What exactly is the "simple" in the mistake of posting that picture to Twitter? He made a deliberate choice to post something incredibly stupid.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By grilledcheez

@Hailinel said:

@GrilledCheez01 said:

What exactly is the "simple" in the mistake of posting that picture to Twitter? He made a deliberate choice to post something incredibly stupid.

I guess simple was the wrong word to use. Some better words would be that every person has lapses in judgement and plenty of great people take the wrong steps everyday.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#74  Edited By Hailinel

@GrilledCheez01 said:

@Hailinel said:

@GrilledCheez01 said:

I guess simple was the wrong word to use. Some better words would be that every person has lapses in judgement and plenty of great people take the wrong steps everyday.

Lots of otherwise good people make life-ruining lapses in judgment. It doesn't excuse Weiner from his own punishment. Had he not resigned, he was pretty much screwed, anyway. If not from direct punishment from Congress, then by the possibility of having his seat eliminated in the redrawing of district lines next year.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#75  Edited By wefwefasdf

@GrilledCheez01 said:

@Hailinel said:

@GrilledCheez01 said:

He took more than just a couple wrong steps. He had frequent lewd internet conversations with six women. Sure, I think some of his views are good, but that doesn't make up for what he did. People who cheat on their spouses are a very special type of asshole.

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Synaptic

@MariachiMacabre said:

@TurboMan said:

I will be forever a fan of this guy after this rant for healthcare to 9/11 heroes:

This. He was one of a few Democrats who was willing to confront Republicans.

You know, I'm a conservative, but I have some respect for him after watching that video. I still hate that he's married and did shit like he did (cheating is inexcusable), but he really spoke his mind. Even if I didn't agree with him (and I do in this case) I'd appreciate his passion.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By grilledcheez

@SpikeSpiegel: Yeah, I guess I'm just a forgiving guy, sorry about that.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#78  Edited By me3639

Let me makes this clear to the simple minded, if you think either the democrats, republicans, tea party, or others in power gives a shit about anyone other than themselves you are truly ignorant.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Subjugation

I phallic he kind of thrust resignation upon himself by being so teste. Best thread title in a while btw.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By NathHaw

How biased people get when politics is involved pisses me off.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Commando

@Bloviator said:

How biased people get when politics is involved pisses me off.

Why would people not get biased toward their political views? People should stand up for what they believe in.

By the way, I'm a very VERY conservative person, yet I haven't insulted all of the liberals in this thread because I know it will derail the thread.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By NathHaw

Not biased toward political views at all is not what I mean, but "how" biased bothers me.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MikeinSC
@YamiB said:
@MikeinSC said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
I think the press was somewhat reluctant at the start with Brietbart being the main pusher or the story since he has a history of spreading blatant falsehoods, though I think it was more clear from the start here that he was on to an actual scandal.   I don't think that Weiner should have resigned. He is one of the few worthwhile politicians that I would group with people like Bernie Sanders.  The only area I know I really disagreed with him was on the Middle East particularly in reference to Israel.
Breitbart challenged the press to name a single time he lied about anything. They, as per usual, failed to actually come up with a single lie he actually promoted. 

Weiner being gone is not a bad thing. There are plenty of mediocre intellects who happen to be pricks to be voted into office.
YamiB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By YamiB
@MikeinSC said:
@YamiB said:
@MikeinSC said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
I think the press was somewhat reluctant at the start with Brietbart being the main pusher or the story since he has a history of spreading blatant falsehoods, though I think it was more clear from the start here that he was on to an actual scandal.   I don't think that Weiner should have resigned. He is one of the few worthwhile politicians that I would group with people like Bernie Sanders.  The only area I know I really disagreed with him was on the Middle East particularly in reference to Israel.
Breitbart challenged the press to name a single time he lied about anything. They, as per usual, failed to actually come up with a single lie he actually promoted.   Weiner being gone is not a bad thing. There are plenty of mediocre intellects who happen to be pricks to be voted into office.
I still disagree on Weiner leaving being a bad thing. Along with Sanders and the now gone Fiengold he was one of the few national politicians that seemed to be pushing back against the regressives instead of rolling over and taking it.

Off the top of my head Breitbart released the Shirley Sherrod video which was edited in a manner to make it seem that she supported the idea of discriminating against poor whites seeking assistance from the agency she worked for.  The full video revealed the the point she was making was that her initial idea from the past were wrong and that economic class not race was what mattered for who needed help.  He also promoted the O'Keffe Acorn videos, which were heavily edited to cast ACORN in a bad light leading to the removal of funding for ACORN by Congress.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#85  Edited By mikemcn

@Jeffsekai said:

@TurboMan said:

Oh man it is that guy. Sucks he had to back down. This video is so awesome.

Dude... he doesn't mess around. Except on twitter...

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its a shame. What he does in his personal life doesn't have any bearing on his job performance. His constituents wanted him to stay, and ultimately he was pushed out because of internal politics.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Chirag4

"...strokes his way out of office" 

That doesn't even make any sense.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#88  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Boi I gots diplomatic immunity.
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#89  Edited By FesteringNeon

Weiner holds no regrets. Just a mistake here and there.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked all the great headlines this scandal brought forth.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Meowshi

It's funny to see how quickly the Democrats turn on each other.  And we wonder why we can't accomplish anything. 
Oh well, maybe if we keep being complete pussies, the Republicans will start feeling sorry for us. 

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By MikeinSC
@YamiB said:
@MikeinSC said:
@YamiB said:
@MikeinSC said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
Breitbart challenged the press to name a single time he lied about anything. They, as per usual, failed to actually come up with a single lie he actually promoted.   Weiner being gone is not a bad thing. There are plenty of mediocre intellects who happen to be pricks to be voted into office.
I still disagree on Weiner leaving being a bad thing. Along with Sanders and the now gone Fiengold he was one of the few national politicians that seemed to be pushing back against the regressives instead of rolling over and taking it.  Off the top of my head Breitbart released the Shirley Sherrod video which was edited in a manner to make it seem that she supported the idea of discriminating against poor whites seeking assistance from the agency she worked for.  The full video revealed the the point she was making was that her initial idea from the past were wrong and that economic class not race was what mattered for who needed help.  He also promoted the O'Keffe Acorn videos, which were heavily edited to cast ACORN in a bad light leading to the removal of funding for ACORN by Congress.
He released the video he was given and Sherrod was not the target --- the NAACP (the point was that the audience had no problem with her admission of bigotry against white farmers) was the target. And, note, she admitted to discriminating. She changed her ways, but it doesn't change what she did do. The ACORN videos were quite accurate.
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By MikeinSC
@Meowshi said:
It's funny to see how quickly the Democrats turn on each other.  And we wonder why we can't accomplish anything.  Oh well, maybe if we keep being complete pussies, the Republicans will start feeling sorry for us. 
Given that Obama's administration has been nailed for basically giving guns to Mexican cartels for no reason --- there isn't much the Republicans need to do to the Dems. And Republicans turn on their own far quicker than Dems do. Barney Frank is still in office and Gerry Studds was never driven out of office for his problems.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#94  Edited By Bruce
@Commando:  

You made a pun! Several, actually. 

I think it's sad that something as commonplace as infidelity can ruin a decent politician. Morally, whatever, he was a decent democrat. 
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Commando

@Chirag4 said:

"...strokes his way out of office" That doesn't even make any sense.

You know how a row boat works? You stroke your paddles to make the boat move?

@Bruce: Yup :D.

Also, I somewhat agree. I am a conservative, but I do think he was a good democrat because I hated the guy before the scandal popped up.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#96  Edited By ThePickle

@President_Barackbar said:

Yes I'm not afraid of a few dick jokes thank you.

Followed.

YamiB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By YamiB
@MikeinSC said:
@YamiB said:
@MikeinSC said:
@YamiB said:
@MikeinSC said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
I still disagree on Weiner leaving being a bad thing. Along with Sanders and the now gone Fiengold he was one of the few national politicians that seemed to be pushing back against the regressives instead of rolling over and taking it.  Off the top of my head Breitbart released the Shirley Sherrod video which was edited in a manner to make it seem that she supported the idea of discriminating against poor whites seeking assistance from the agency she worked for.  The full video revealed the the point she was making was that her initial idea from the past were wrong and that economic class not race was what mattered for who needed help.  He also promoted the O'Keffe Acorn videos, which were heavily edited to cast ACORN in a bad light leading to the removal of funding for ACORN by Congress.
He released the video he was given and Sherrod was not the target --- the NAACP (the point was that the audience had no problem with her admission of bigotry against white farmers) was the target. And, note, she admitted to discriminating. She changed her ways, but it doesn't change what she did do. The ACORN videos were quite accurate.
The Sherrod thing is absurd even if he was trying to target NAACP in general.  Why would an audience show disapproval in the middle of a story being told that ultimately had an anti-racist message?

The ACORN videos were not accurate. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACORN_2009_undercover_videos_controversy#Investigation_by_California_attorney_general

By April 1, 2010, the attorney general's office had completed its investigation and Brown announced its findings. O'Keefe and Giles received immunity from prosecution in exchange for providing three full, unedited videotapes. Brown noted that the terms of the exchange did not exempt O'Keefe or Giles from being sued by the ACORN members filmed in the videos. ... In his report on the investigation, Brown stated, "The video releases were heavily edited to feature only the worst or most inappropriate statements of the various ACORN employees and to omit some of the most salient statements by O'Keefe and Giles. Each of the ACORN employees recorded in California was a low level employee whose job was to help the needy individuals who walked in the door seeking assistance. Giles and O'Keefe lied to engender compassion, but then edited their statements from the released videos." For instance, a much-publicized recording of a visit to the San Diego office, in which an employee is purportedly seeking information to help smuggle underage girls from Mexico into the United States to work as prostitutes, did not mention that the employee's 'contact' in Mexico was actually a police official. The employee collected as much specific information as possible, then contacted Mexican police, warning them of the plot. Brown stated, "ACORN was not the criminal enterprise described by O'Keefe in his 'Chaos for Glory' statement – it did not receive billions in federal funds and did not control elections. ACORN is, however, disorganized and its operations were far from transparent, leaving it vulnerable to allegations of illegal activity and misuse of funds." Brown also said that despite appearing in the publicized videos as a "1970s Superfly pimp ... [i]n his actual taped sessions with ACORN workers, he was dressed in a shirt and tie, presented himself as a law student, and said he planned to use the prostitution proceeds to run for Congress. He never claimed he was a pimp."

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#98  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm always a little annoyed when sex scandals come about. The whole moral issue with a sex scandal is that the person has done something wrong to their partner, not to the public and not to their colleagues. What he did was wrong and because some people fail to draw a proper line between peoples' personal lives and work lives this would have had a negative impact on his image as a politician, but what he did he did on his own free time, he didn't whip his dick out on the job or on public television and he shouldn't have to have his job compromised for that. Do we really value politicians with "cleaner" personal lives over politicians who are good at their job? Having said that (and I believe it's a point that stands in the majority of situations) in this situation he did do something wrong to his colleagues and the public in that he repeatedly lied and in that regard I believe it is fair that he steps down.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Example1013

It's not even a sex scandal. He didn't even have sex.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By MikeinSC
@YamiB said:
@MikeinSC said:
@YamiB said:
@MikeinSC said:
@YamiB said:
@MikeinSC said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
The Sherrod thing is absurd even if he was trying to target NAACP in general.  Why would an audience show disapproval in the middle of a story being told that ultimately had an anti-racist message?

The ACORN videos were not accurate. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACORN_2009_undercover_videos_controversy#Investigation_by_California_attorney_general

By April 1, 2010, the attorney general's office had completed its investigation and Brown announced its findings. O'Keefe and Giles received immunity from prosecution in exchange for providing three full, unedited videotapes. Brown noted that the terms of the exchange did not exempt O'Keefe or Giles from being sued by the ACORN members filmed in the videos. ... In his report on the investigation, Brown stated, "The video releases were heavily edited to feature only the worst or most inappropriate statements of the various ACORN employees and to omit some of the most salient statements by O'Keefe and Giles. Each of the ACORN employees recorded in California was a low level employee whose job was to help the needy individuals who walked in the door seeking assistance. Giles and O'Keefe lied to engender compassion, but then edited their statements from the released videos." For instance, a much-publicized recording of a visit to the San Diego office, in which an employee is purportedly seeking information to help smuggle underage girls from Mexico into the United States to work as prostitutes, did not mention that the employee's 'contact' in Mexico was actually a police official. The employee collected as much specific information as possible, then contacted Mexican police, warning them of the plot. Brown stated, "ACORN was not the criminal enterprise described by O'Keefe in his 'Chaos for Glory' statement – it did not receive billions in federal funds and did not control elections. ACORN is, however, disorganized and its operations were far from transparent, leaving it vulnerable to allegations of illegal activity and misuse of funds." Brown also said that despite appearing in the publicized videos as a "1970s Superfly pimp ... [i]n his actual taped sessions with ACORN workers, he was dressed in a shirt and tie, presented himself as a law student, and said he planned to use the prostitution proceeds to run for Congress. He never claimed he was a pimp."

You'd show the video because they applauded the racist part of the speech...which belies their incessant criticisms of the Tea Party for being incorrigibly racist because a sign can be found at a rally.

Jerry Brown saying they were "not accurate" is hardly a close examination. He's a bit of a political hack.