#1 Edited by R3Qui4M (409 posts) -

Hi Bombers,

I hobby in locating and indulging in weird and obscure music. If anyone has some suggestions or websites to point me in the right direction that would be great. My favorite genres: Downtempo, psychedelic, IDM, groovy beats with female vocals(no name for this genre)

Smooth Decadence is a mix I threw together, what do y'all think?

Cheers,

Uj

#2 Edited by Tarsier (1052 posts) -
#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (34588 posts) -

Anything I listen to or link in my blogs ever.

#4 Posted by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

Here you go:

#5 Edited by deadmoscow (259 posts) -

@r3qui4m: I'm not terribly fond of the "IDM" label, but if you're into the genre then I imagine you're familiar with the absolutely stellar Warp Records catalogue? Everyone loves Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin, but I think Autechre has some really neat stuff to look into. Everyone knows their 1995 album Tri Repetae, but I really dig their 2001 release Confield as well.

#6 Edited by Tarsier (1052 posts) -

@deadmoscow: frig ya. their new album exai is a master piece imo

edit - id like to add. if you want an idea of a game to play that would suit that music try tribes ascend. the motion and flow of that game with that mix playing really gets you in the zone .

#7 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -
#8 Posted by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

Here you go some more:

I could literally do this all day.

#9 Posted by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

Here you go some more:

#10 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -

@jrinswand: You can only post two posts on a thread, until someone posts after you. : )

I wish I had another song at this time. But I don't..

#11 Posted by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

@jrinswand: You can only post two posts on a thread, until someone posts after you. : )

Seriously? Well, in that case:

#12 Posted by envane (1156 posts) -

@deadmoscow: confield is the best , their new albumn Exai is prettttty good id put it 2nd after confield , but i still personally love the Envane EP (hence my nick) :)

autechre are my favourite , they inspired my current musical direction and keep pushing me to try harder. heres my latest albumn

as for female vocals ..... hmn ... portishead ? i generally avoid anything that has vocals in it eheh. so im unaware of any decent modern idmish music that .

but yeah anythign from warp records is a good bet that its weird and obscure , not entirely good. you can find their stuff and a bunch of others at bleep.com with semi decentish previews if you cant find it elsewhere. likewise my friends online music store Polybonk.com has a decent preview player and a unique selection of weird shit

that said i dont consider much of this kind of music to be weird anyway .. now Bob Log ... hes weird.

#13 Edited by BeachThunder (11260 posts) -

Perhaps something like this is up your alley??

#14 Posted by deadmoscow (259 posts) -

@beachthunder: Captain Beefheart are fucking great, especially when you realize they know exactly what they're doing at all times. Trout Mask Replica was recorded in, like, three hours. The album is basically live. That's unbelievable to me.

#15 Posted by EVO (3778 posts) -

@r3qui4m said:

groovy beats with female vocals(no name for this genre)

Trip hop?

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3331 posts) -

Well dunno if you will consider this weird but here ya go , dont worry it aint black metal ... or metal :P

#17 Posted by Flacracker (1387 posts) -
#18 Edited by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

@beachthunder: I love Captain Beefheart, but I don't know why people flip their shit for Trout Mask Replica so much. Safe as Milk is the better album, in my eyes.

#19 Posted by Caustic_Fox (112 posts) -

This:

#20 Posted by guiseppe (2833 posts) -

Well, my old music is definitely rare, but its more ambient/noise than anything you were looking for.

#21 Posted by Lysergica33 (479 posts) -

To start my post off, here's a shameless plug of some of my personal music that I do with a jazz guitarist friend..

http://groovetemple.bandcamp.com/album/- http://groovetemple.bandcamp.com/album/23-06-2012 http://groovetemple.bandcamp.com/album/gods-manner-was-grim

Now here's some other stuff that I've been enjoying lately.

Perhaps I will post more later.. :>

#22 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3325 posts) -

@r3qui4m said:

groovy beats with female vocals(no name for this genre)

Care to provide some examples of this? I might be able to help, but I need a better idea of what you're looking for.

#23 Edited by ShockD (2381 posts) -

Well dunno if you will consider this weird but here ya go , dont worry it aint black metal ... or metal :P

That awkward moment when I've actually listened to the band. Also it's darkwave.

#24 Posted by deadmoscow (259 posts) -

Any metalheads in house? I've been going nuts over the latest Pig Destroyer album lately, it's got to be the best-produced grindcore I've ever heard.

#25 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3031 posts) -

Prurient, always.

#26 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

You might like Elysian Fields. Jennifer Charles is one of the best female singers in the business.

Book of Knots is another one.

Ipecac.com is a great place to go to find underground music. It's the label run by Mike Patton, so it tends to favor noise rock type stuff, but there's quite a diverse catalog of weirdo shit there.

#27 Posted by DrShilliams (86 posts) -

#28 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

@beachthunder: I love Captain Beefheart, but I don't know why people flip their shit for Trout Mask Replica so much. Safe as Milk is the better album, in my eyes.

Wow, didn't expect to see so many Beefheart fans in here. Safe as Milk is obviously a more accessible album, but better? Hard for me to say. My all time favorite thing he's done isn't from either of those and isn't even a song:

#29 Edited by McGhee (6091 posts) -
#30 Edited by VoidProd (90 posts) -

#31 Edited by deadmoscow (259 posts) -

@gothmoogle: Hell yes! I'm always down with Melt Banana - it's got the freak-out flavor of a lot of crazier metal and grind acts, but it's definitely more listener-friendly.

#32 Posted by Philedius (204 posts) -

Someone posted Sleepytime Gorilla Museum before me, but this song is rad as well.

#33 Posted by Cramsy (1160 posts) -

Got my lady Miss Melody;

#34 Edited by psylah (2153 posts) -

Patrick made me post this.

#35 Edited by TheHT (10262 posts) -

I don't remember how I came about it, but I got an album from "Gator Bait Ten" called Harvester. It's really downtempo stuff, and mildly unsettling when you consider the origin of their name (sparing the details, apparently it's the name of snuff film). Not the sort of thing I fancy listening to much.

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Seriously? Well, in that case:

DIGGIN IT!

#36 Posted by Thrillhouse87 (221 posts) -

how about some faust?

#37 Edited by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Heard this on Blue Jam

#38 Edited by bybeach (4599 posts) -

This may or may not be obscure to you. It does feature(then) a female vocalist. They have since reformed, they are good, but she is not there.

The Cranes-Lilies.

http://youtu.be/_CH12Rxvz40

#39 Edited by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

@theht: Yeah, I had never heard of Moondog until the other day, but I actually really like it a lot. The fact that the dude invented instruments and dressed like a Viking (and fucking called himself "Moondog") doesn't hurt either.

#40 Posted by R3Qui4M (409 posts) -

@jrinswand: lol i think you took the weird part too literally it def is i give you that

I was looking for oh slower downtempo weird stuff

#41 Posted by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

@r3qui4m said:

@jrinswand: lol i think you took the weird part too literally it def is i give you that

I was looking for oh slower downtempo weird stuff

Weird downtempo stuff incoming:

LOL. I think only one of those was actually downtempo. Unless you take downtempo to mean simply "slow."

#42 Posted by R3Qui4M (409 posts) -

@deadmoscow: I hear you I'm not a fan of what it abbreviation to, sounds a little pompous but for me it a concise way to group all electronica that requires an acquired taste(psybient, psychill, psy downtempo, glitch, trip-hop, etc...) Like this song I can't imagine this being everyone cup of tea. But I die for this song. Thanks for pointing me to Warp Records sick music they got. Do you know any artists or songs like this:

#43 Edited by JasonR86 (9372 posts) -

How that dude can make that noise come out of his mouth is amazing to me.

#44 Posted by R3Qui4M (409 posts) -