• 143 results
#1 Edited by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

Today is the 8 year anniversary of 9-11.  I remember when it happened.  I was coming back from lunch to my 6th grade English class.  My teacher told me what was going on and I really didn't understand.  When I got home, my Mom had to explain it.  What a tragedy.  Anyone here have any 9-11 stories they would like to share?

If for some reason you don't know what 9-11 is, HERE is the Wikipedia page describing the events.

Never forget.
#2 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

i have a 9/11 story i'd like to share:  

On 9/11 2,751 people were killed. Somehow that leads us to war in Iraq where 4,343 members of the US Military have been killed. And thousands more troops have died in other places fighting "terrorists" as well since 9/11. Why is war, and killing, the only answer to 9/11, a day in which thousands were killed? Compare the number of people who were killed on 9/11, and the money spent on the wars our government has engaged in since then, to the MILLIONS of people who die each year from disease and cancer and the amount of money spent on research for cures.  Its pretty fucking lopsided if you ask me. 

#3 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

When I found out about 9-11 the first thing i said to my girlfriend was, "We are NEVER gonna hear the end of this." And sure enough, 8 YEARS LATER, we still haven't.

#4 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" i have a 9/11 story i'd like to share:  

On 9/11 2,751 people were killed. Somehow that leads us to war in Iraq where 4,343 members of the US Military have been killed Iraq. And thousands more troops have died in other places fighting "terrorists" as well since 9/11. Just think about that for a little while and try to make sense of it all.

"
What's sad is something like 40% of Americans still think Saddam had something to do with 9/11, even though that lie has been debunked over and over and over.  

Nation of fucking morons.
#5 Posted by Neon941 (238 posts) -

I just realised how unfortunate it is that 9-11 casts a rather large shadow over the anniversary of the Dreamcast, I suppose the good must sometimes be taken with the bad.  

I remember I'd gotten out of P.E. which was my last lesson of the day and the teacher was telling us about it, we didn't really believe him and then of course when I got home and it was on the news I realised he had been telling the truth. People at my school got real into Farenheit 9-11 and conspiracy theories, that always kind of bothered me. Airport security got mad crazy after that, travelling that Christmas was absolute murder, not really surprising I suppose.
#6 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

I honestly believe that 9/11 is government conspiracy and that those responsible are the people who the US let lead their country and continue to do so to this day.

#7 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -
@Neon941:  I don't get the hubbub over Dreamcast.  It failed, move on.
#8 Posted by Arjuna (888 posts) -
@TomA said:
" When I found out about 9-11 the first thing i said to my girlfriend was, "We are NEVER gonna hear the end of this." And sure enough, 8 YEARS LATER, we still haven't. "
Just stick your fingers in your ears and go:  "lalalalalala"
#9 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

An Electronics Boutique sales clerk was the one who first told me what had happened.

#10 Posted by mattysen (822 posts) -

Dude why do we need to talk about this on Giantbomb? 

#11 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Woah. I just noticed that 9/11 is also 911: THE AMERICAN EMERGENCY NUMBER.

It's all a conspiracy. 

Also: condolences to all those effected in this terrible, terrible event.

#12 Posted by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -

Watched the whole thing live from my high school biology class. My hometown has the second largest Air Force base in the United States, there was a serious tension in the air that something terrible might happen within home's reach.  

It was scary, man. Even at that age, I didn't quite understand what the fuck was going on, or just how sick those acts really were. 

#13 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

Well, I live on PST so it's still the 10th were I am. I was thinking about writing a blog post on something 9/11 related....

#14 Posted by Druminator (1687 posts) -

I just remember that whole week of school being a free week. So we did nothing but sleep and watch the towers fall over and over again.

#15 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@mattysen said:
" Dude why do we need to talk about this on Giantbomb?  "
I think we are sophisticated enough to have a conversation about this.  As long as no one trolls, we should be fine.
#16 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

I remember when people tried to make this a new holiday. 

/facepalm

#17 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Wow, its been 8 years?
We're still at "war" and nobody has been caught.

#18 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@Emilio said:
" Wow, its been 8 years? We're still at "war" and nobody has been caught. "
Michael Vick got caught.
#19 Edited by Player1 (3892 posts) -

Guys. Can we stop with the conspiracy theories for just one day? 

Please. Respect the people who have died. 

Respect our soldiers. 

Respect our government. ' 

Freedom isn't free.  

EDIT: And if you do want to talk conspiracy, PM me. Come with evidence (there isn't any), don't bring assumptions (thats all your going to have), and please at least have a tiny bit of knowledge about the infrastructure of our government?

#20 Posted by pause422 (6247 posts) -
@TomA said:
" When I found out about 9-11 the first thing i said to my girlfriend was, "We are NEVER gonna hear the end of this." And sure enough, 8 YEARS LATER, we still haven't. "
Exactly.
#21 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -
@Player1 said:
" Guys. Can we stop with the conspiracy theories for just one day?  Please. Respect the people who have died.  Respect our soldiers.  Respect our government. '  Freedom isn't free.   EDIT: And if you do want to talk conspiracy, PM me. Come with evidence (there isn't any), don't bring assumptions (thats all your going to have), and please at least have a tiny bit of knowledge about the infrastructure of our government? "
I agree with you first three sentences. But shut the rest of that down. Next you will tell me that we have a democracy in the U.S.
#22 Posted by Hamst3r (4565 posts) -
@Player1 said:
"Respect our government."

No thank you.
#23 Posted by NathHaw (2803 posts) -

I will not forget this.  Perhaps it's that I was 22 when it happened.  I remember clearly that morning as I left my apartment to go buy guitar strings.  I recall that that morning radio station was claiming that the World Trade Center buildings were potentially bombed.  After hearing that, I thought of the '92 bombings.  I remembered the shots of '92's people leaving the building covered in soot. 

When I got back home, I turned on the TV and saw the images of the towers.  It is sickening how even today, people so easily and ignorantly disregard both events.  How little you understand of those events and what necessarily preceded them.  Because of this, history will most likely repeat itself.  Unfortunately, people are too present minded to take heed.

#24 Posted by CactusWolf (539 posts) -
@Player1 said:
" Guys. Can we stop with the conspiracy theories for just one day?  Please. Respect the people who have died.  Respect our soldiers.  Respect our government. '  Freedom isn't free.  "
Well this post goes downhill.
#25 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
@Player1 said:
" Guys. Can we stop with the conspiracy theories for just one day?  Please. Respect the people who have died.  Respect our soldiers.  Respect our government. '  Freedom isn't free.   EDIT: And if you do want to talk conspiracy, PM me. Come with evidence (there isn't any), don't bring assumptions (thats all your going to have), and please at least have a tiny bit of knowledge about the infrastructure of our government? "
Agreed 100%.  Today is a day to remember the horrible events that took place eight years ago, not to drudge up conspiracy theories and taint the memories of the lives lost on that day.   

I can still remember where I was that day in 5th grade.  I was writing a story on a piece of yellow writing paper and my teacher went out of the room and came back looking very stressed.  The school did not tell us what had happened, but when we all filed out of the doorway at the end of the day, everyones' parents were there waiting in a silent group and tried to explain what happened to their kids. 
#26 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -
@Bloviator: I agree with you. One reason I will never forget is because of how quickly our unity from the event died down and people quickly went back to being so cold and callous about the whole event. But then again that could just be their personal way of dealing with the events and their fear of another attack that could personally affect them. I am sure for the people who are still alive and had family in those buildings that they very much appreciate the kindness of the OP, as well,  I appreciate it.
#27 Posted by Dethfish (3697 posts) -
@Player1 said:
" Guys. Can we stop with the conspiracy theories for just one day?  Please. Respect the people who have died.  Respect our soldiers.  Respect our government. '  Freedom isn't free.  "
I'm with you.
#28 Posted by VoshiNova (1755 posts) -

I was also in the 6th grade when it happened. I had no idea what had occurred, I thought it was just a bad plane crash; a landing error or something.
When I got home and found out what had happened I was stunned. It was a  very dark day for the U.S., and still is.

To anyone showing disrespect to this event, grow up. Seriously.
Innocent people lost their lives, drop the conspiracy and focus all of that brain power on something productive.

#29 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -
@Hamst3r said:
" @Player1 said:
No thank you. "
#30 Posted by NathHaw (2803 posts) -
@Black_Rose said:
" @Hamst3r said:
" @Player1 said:
No thank you. "
"
There is a place in between the two.  Levelheadedness is so underrated.
#31 Edited by Valames (726 posts) -
@Black_Rose said:

" @Hamst3r said:

" @Player1 said:
No thank you. "
"
One time when I was a cranky 6th grader I told my mom I didn't love her and I threw a normal angst ridden tantrum about how I hated this house. And she said to me, "love it or leave it." ...very sound advice.
#32 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -

Man, I was in the 8th grade at the time. What a day.....

Give it 40 years people will forget.

#33 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -
@Seedofpower: Nope, cause that is when the big blockbuster movie about it will be made... again.
#34 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:

On 9/11 2,751 people were killed. Somehow that leads us to war in Iraq where 4,343 members of the US Military have been killed. And thousands more troops have died in other places fighting "terrorists" as well since 9/11. Why is war, and killing, the only answer to 9/11, a day in which thousands were killed? Compare the number of people who were killed on 9/11, and the money spent on the wars our government has engaged in since then, to the MILLIONS of people who die each year from disease and cancer and the amount of money spent on research for cures.  Its pretty fucking lopsided if you ask me. 

"

You fail to mention the biggest cost, that being the tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi's that have lost their lives in order for America to secure oil for the future.
#35 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
#36 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

Some people will continue to hate this country, as evident from posts in this thread. Good day to you sirs.

#37 Posted by Kohe321 (3533 posts) -

I remember coming home from school and seing it on the news. It was terrible.

#38 Edited by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

They should just rebuild those buildings. Why give a bunch of terrorists the power to forever change the iconic New York city skyline? Build them back and tell Bin Laden he can knock them down a hundred more times, we'll just build them back a hundred and one times.

#39 Edited by Crocio (542 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:

You fail to mention the biggest cost, that being the tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi's that have lost their lives in order for America to secure oil for the future. " 

Seconded, it's terrible how politicians manipulate America's primitive group mentality at the disadvantage of those completely innocent.
#40 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Before 9-11 I barely even understood the meaning of "terrorism" and now that word is used in everything from political strategies to vandalism. Guess every era has to have its dirty word. Before this it was "commie". 

6th grade, I woke up for school at 6 (i'm on the west coast, so it was 9 on the east coast) and the TV was on, which wasn't typical for a morning in my household. It was on the news and there was a bunch of smoke coming out of one of the towers, which I'm not sure I even recognized at the time (i was 11, and my entire understanding of New York was the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building). I didn't realize it then, but I watched the second plane fly into the other tower.  

Of course, school that day was packed with rumors, like the planes going into the biggest building of every major american city.  

Anyway, it's a shame what that all lead to, especially since the entire world was behind us after the attacks. We wasted all that good will on Iraq...

#41 Edited by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -

All this Iraq-talk goes to show that 9/11 isn't ever going to be remembered as a standalone event of terrorism. Not like the '92 bombings or the Oklahoma City bombing. I mean, I had always heard that September 11th was a modern Pearl Harbor, but I guess I just didn't understand in what sense. And when that moniker was originally being thrown around, I don't think the media truly understood what sense either.  

No, 9/11 is always going to be remembered as the event that catalyzed America's coercive involvement in the Middle East, just as Pearl Harbor was the event that catalyzed America's coercive involvement in the second World War.  

The two events are inextricably linked. They may as well be one event, one fluid motion of action and reaction, for all it's worth.   

#42 Posted by Dragonseer (109 posts) -
 VoshiNova said:
" I was also in the 6th grade when it happened. I had no idea what had occurred, I thought it was just a bad plane crash; a landing error or something. When I got home and found out what had happened I was stunned. It was a  very dark day for the U.S., and still is.  To anyone showing disrespect to this event, grow up. Seriously. Innocent people lost their lives, drop the conspiracy and focus all of that brain power on something productive. "  

Well see you still don't have a clue what happened.  The truth is a bit too hard to face for many 'patriotic' Americans out there.  The thing to realise though is that many of the people that believe in the so-called 'conspiracy theories' are those that have lost friends and family in the attacks.  Visit sites like this and see for yourself -   http://firefightersfor911truth.org.   Because they are so close to what has happened, they are forced to look at the facts and then it becomes clear that the governments' version of what happened is completely false.    

So to really show respect for the people that died, it's better to face the truth and object when their deaths are used for propaganda purposes, in order to justify war atrocities like those that are going on in Iraq and Afghanistan.
#43 Posted by alexl86 (635 posts) -

Look, it's been eight years now and it's not like this is the worst thing that has ever happened. This would never have been such a big deal if it had happened somewhere else. Look, I'm sorry for anyone who actually knew someone who died, but I have a rule about events like this. If I didn't know anyone who were killed or severely injured by it, I don't care.

#44 Posted by EnchantedEcho (740 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" @TwoOneFive said:

"

You fail to mention the biggest cost, that being the tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi's that have lost their lives in order for America to secure oil for the future. "
Agreed, I honestly believe that some of the people in the U.S with a lot of power, let this happen so they could invade and secure oil.
I respect those who died, but I don't think that the Government did a good enough job to try and stop it, there are just too many un-deniable facts that suggest that it wasnt just the terroists involved.
#45 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

What's the point in arguing over it when none of us can make a difference anywhere?

#46 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -
@EnchantedEcho said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
"You fail to mention the biggest cost, that being the tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi's that have lost their lives in order for America to secure oil for the future. "
Agreed, I honestly believe that some of the people in the U.S with a lot of power, let this happen so they could invade and secure oil. I respect those who died, but I don't think that the Government did a good enough job to try and stop it, there are just too many un-deniable facts that suggest that it wasnt just the terroists involved. "
What do you mean by "secure oil"? It's not like they weren't selling us oil before we invaded them, and the price of oil has gone UP since that war.
#47 Posted by Demo (263 posts) -

It was around 2PM over here, I was at my grandparent's house when suddenly the channel displayed the event. I was 11 at the time and was like: "An accident? No, it can't be!"

#48 Posted by Turambar (6898 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok: It is unfortunate but 9-11, much like Pearl Harbor, is simply the most identifiable flash point for a duration of history.  And while American involvement in the Middle East had long preceded that event, the laymen will point to it as the beginning.

And as long as we're sharing 9/11 stories, here's mine.  I was in high school at the time at Bronx Science, on the opposite side of the city from the Twin Towers.  At 9:45, the an announcement came one stating two planes had crashed into each other above the towers.  We half wondered at why that was worth announcing, and half laughed at the sheer stupidity of that.  

I had duties to perform at the history department office during lunch, about an hour and a half later.  I walked in, only to find a usually lively room wholly empty.  The radio was on, and having nothing to do, I listened.  "2 planes crashed into the World Trade Center and another into the Pentagon, marking the worst terrorist attack ever in the history of the United States."  I thought it was joking, until I noticed a history class room down the hall, the one with the giant screen TV, oddly noisy.  Walking over to check it out, I found the entire room full with both students and teachers.  I was also just in time to catch a video of the second tower collapsing on the TV.  I had absolutely no idea what was going on, and stayed there watching CNN for the entire period.  They still aired recordings of the jumpers on that first day.  Those...were not pleasant.

Being someone that lived in Queens, a good 50 miles away from the Bronx, I take the subway home.  The South bound 4 Train goes down the middle of the Bronx, past Yankee stadium, and goes from an above ground on a high platform line to an underground line.  The small amount of time between the Yankee Stadium stop and the train going underground allows for a fairly unobstructed view of Manhattan if you were on the front car.  I rushed for it, wanting to see things with my own eyes if possible.  So did many others.  This was a train ride at 4pm, rush hour, full of adults, students, crowded and noisy.  It would be like this for the rest of my high school life.  But on that day, it was silent.  Not a loud noise, only soft murmuring ever so often.  And as we rounded Yankee Stadium, seemingly covering the entire island of Manhattan was a cloud of dust.  

I don't remember much after going underground.  I sat down, hanged my head, and tried to sleep.  It was going to be another hour before my stop anyways.  I switched subway lines 2 more times before I ended up in Flushing, Queens.  This was the last leg of my daily commute, where I take the Q27 bus line home.  It was free that day.  It was strange.  It never happened again.  

That was September 11th.  I was in the 9th grade at the time, my 4th day of high school.  Never expected a day so memorable, and I keep wishing it wasn't.
#49 Posted by Droop (1916 posts) -

Cool story, bro.

#50 Edited by JeffGoldblum (3715 posts) -
@Red said:

" Woah. I just noticed that 9/11 is also 911: THE AMERICAN EMERGENCY NUMBER. "

It took you 8 years to notice that?