Went to gamespot for the first time in quite a while and wow....

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By dethfish

Either Giantbomb has spoiled me or GS has gotten worse. 

I went to watch 1 video review and after it was over I sort of browsed through the comments and they shocked me. Most of them were either hateful towards the reviewer, bitching about whether the score should be higher or lower or people just being total trolls or fanboys. After that I went and checked some other stuff to see if maybe that shit was limited to only that video but almost every story or video I looked at had stuff like this. I don't even want to think about what the forums were like. Also, does no one know how to make a proper sentence? I'm not the best but at least I try.

I was shocked to see how bad GS had become and it felt like a real shame to me because I used to visit that site almost everyday and I know a lot of you people did or still do. I also feel bad for the people who work there because they're still cool people and most of the time do their jobs very well but the site has been ruined for me by the users. The website interface is not that great either but it didn't bug me that much.

I also was a little upset because I figured GB would end up like that if it ever became as popular as GS. That would be terrible. 

So we need to make a vow right now to NEVER end up like the majority of the GS user base. Be polite (as best as you can) to other users, respect the GB staff, kill trolls and extinguish fanboy-ism.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Yeah, I did the same to check out some E3 coverage. Thinking back, I think it has always been that way and we are just spoiled now to have GB.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ahriman22

It's pretty much always been like that. Next thing you know, GS is the next 4chon. Honestly though, the reviews have become quite shit, the video reviews anyways, ever since everyone left.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dethfish

Has it really always been like that? Maybe I never noticed.

And maybe the reviews are not as good as they used to be (but it is hard to be better than a Jeff review) but they tell you what you need to know and what they think of the game.

Designer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Designer0

the best thing GS has going for it is the back  catalog of Hotspot episodes.
And live streaming press confrences i guess.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahriman22
@Dethfish77: Yeah, but they've gotten... Bland. And don't even go in the forums there, it's a friggin cesspool of crap.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I always thought Gamespot was really great with reviews. I also liked the connection you would get with the staff over there. Since most of the old staff is gone, I think that connection has been severed and I find the place less interesting.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ
@Dethfish77 said:
" Either Giantbomb has spoiled me or GS has gotten worse. I went to watch 1 video review and after it was over I sort of browsed through the comments and they shocked me. Most of them were either hateful towards the reviewer, bitching about whether the score should be higher or lower or people just being total trolls or fanboys. After that I went and checked some other stuff to see if maybe that shit was limited to only that video but almost every story or video I looked at had stuff like this. I don't even want to think about what the forums were like. Also, does no one know how to make a proper sentence? I'm not the best but at least I try.I was shocked to see how bad GS had become and it felt like a real shame to me because I used to visit that site almost everyday and I know a lot of you people did or still do. I also feel bad for the people who work there because they're still cool people and most of the time do their jobs very well but the site has been ruined for me by the users. The website interface is not that great either but it didn't bug me that much.I also was a little upset because I figured GB would end up like that if it ever became as popular as GS. That would be terrible. So we need to make a vow right now to NEVER end up like the majority of the GS user base. Be polite (as best as you can) to other users, respect the GB staff, kill trolls and extinguish fanboy-ism. "
We are totally spoinled here. We need to make sure that that crowd never starts to dribble over into Giantbomb
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
@ahriman22 said:
" @Dethfish77: Yeah, but they've gotten... Bland. And don't even go in the forums there, it's a friggin cesspool of crap. "
I agree with the blandness. One of the key parts of a review is entertainment value. A review can be as technically sound as it wants but if it's not at least a little fun to read, it fails.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dethfish
@AgentJ:  Well it's not like everyone from GS is bad. There is some people who can make a post without bitching or cussing out someone. They're welcome to come to GB.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

Casey was the worst mod I've ever met there.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24

It's also funny how the comments to news stories are given thumbs up or down solely on if the person agrees with a person's opinion. It is pretty maddening when you think of it. People can be very uncivil.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By BigBoss1911
@ahriman22 said:
" @Dethfish77: Yeah, but they've gotten... Bland. And don't even go in the forums there, it's a friggin cesspool of crap. "
I occasionally check out the off topic forums there, and every thread is about religion or anime.And how about system wars....oh god.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ
@Dethfish77 said:
" @AgentJ:  Well it's not like everyone from GS is bad. There is some people who can make a post without bitching or cussing out someone. They're welcome to come to GB. "
Of course of course. When I meant "that crowd" i meant specificly the ones you were refering to, who couldn't make a full sentence and such
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Gamespot has been in the dirt i just go there to read there news... i don't even login anymore

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GreggD
@RHCPfan24 said:
" It's also funny how the comments to news stories are given thumbs up or down solely on if the person agrees with a person's opinion. It is pretty maddening when you think of it. People can be very uncivil. "
When Ten was announced for Rock Band, I wrote the first comment. I basically said that at least half of the songs wouldn't be very fun to play, and holy shit you should've seen how many thumbs down I got. I love that album, I was just being honest about it in regards to Rock Band.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RHCPfan24
@GreggD: It's all "he no likez da PS3z so I giv NO!"
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Snipzor

I've never liked the GS forums and community, and having checked it from time to time with different alts, it hasn't changed. It just got bigger.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GreggD
@RHCPfan24: Indeed.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By EpicSteve

You spoiled bastard!

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seedofpower

Just be thankful you have giant bomb or you will still be watching gamespot videos.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By Hector
@KaosAngel said:
" Casey was the worst mod I've ever met there. "
Haha! I've seen his name pop here and there on the GS forums.
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MKHavoc

The problem is just how many people there are that use the site.  When you have a large userbase like that, it seems like the people that suck are the ones that make the most noise.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BiancaDK

Gamespot is certainly not as bad as some people in here (Going by this thread alone, the majority?) points out.

True, the user written reviews can suck, and for the most, they actually do. This notion i will agree with 100%

The trick is to only read your friends reviews, friends you know can rationalize their dispositions in a sensible way, or people of whom opinions you respect. Just checking out the user reviews written, in a random fashion, will only result in a letdown and with a high probability a facepalm or two.

The forums are so-so, i will honestly be the first to admit that i do not really frequent any other forums in there, other than the off-topic and general games discussions. I visited the system wars forum once, and it was a brief stay to say the least.

The moderators are great, they are for the most quite well-mannered and professional, and most importantly -- they are approachable. I´m not saying the contraire is true for GB, i´m just pointing out that things in gamespot are multifacetted.

Yes, i retorted to generalization with some generalization of my own, but the hours are growing small, and i have matters to attend to.

Have a nice day/night =)

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I haven't visited Gamespot in about a year, I hope the forums here can maintain the friendly atmosphere they currently have.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JoelTGM
@ParanoidFreak said:
" I haven't visited Gamespot in about a year, I hope the forums here can maintain the friendly atmosphere they currently have. "
They will because everyone wants them to.  If one guy posts a fanboy comment, everyone else will call him out, even the moderators will dump on fanboys and other scum.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks

it is pretty shocking, I think their staff are having a really tough time lately. I was over there during the live E3 coverage, and the sheer amount of abuse the site seemed to be getting was a eye opener, and I have been there for years..

The lack of OTS for months without any word from the powers that be, wound up many members, especially those that paid subs. Can you imagine paying out for a weekly show and then getting zip sh*t for months on end, with no word!

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By buzz_killington

I have boycotted GameStop since October '08 and haven't looked back ever since.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By choffy21
@Seedofpower said:
" Just be thankful you have giant bomb or you will still be watching gamespot videos. "
But if we didn't have Giant Bomb, at least Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, Brad and Alex would still be at GameSpot.
Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ChickenPants

I just don't like any of their reviewers/presenters nowadays, they're all either really fake or trying to hard to be funny.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By choffy21
@Linkyshinks: I have a paid subscription there still. Ends in July, thank god.
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By BigBoss1911
@Hector said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
" Casey was the worst mod I've ever met there. "
Haha! I've seen his name pop here and there on the GS forums. "
Make one mistake with him he'll anal rape you.I hate how strict GS's rules are.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dethfish
@BigBoss1911:  Yeah, we have way better topics here. Like what "What pokemon would you fuck". It was very eye opening.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Linkyshinks

I may start a Giant Bomb Union over there, a little sanctuary for Giant Bombers to shelter from the nonsense.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Vod_Crack

The GameSpot community is dreadful. No one is friends there. It is a warzone.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FrankCanada97

Gamespot isn't that interesting anymore, I only go there occasionally for news. Even a simple earnings report draws out hostilities.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By choffy21
@Linkyshinks: Me and some old friends made one when the site first launched.

No one joined though. You can see it here
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#38  Edited By natetodamax

Your first mistake is in the thread title.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By Brundage

I actually went on Gamespot just a few minutes ago and read one of the best blog posts ive read in a wile. It was about the PSP GO here is the link if anyone is interested. The site has a huge community so theirs always going to be idiots, don't hate on Gamespot for that.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dethfish
@natetodamax: What, that I went to gamespot?
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gizmo

Giantbomb needs to integrate community blogs, guides and reviews moreso.

They seem to get forgotten about very quickly.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Steve_C

It comes with the territory for being a such a big site with a large userbase. There are some intelligent posters, but they're dwarfed by the fanboys and the ignorant.

I used to enjoy the UK forum they had, but there has been an influx of new dudes there over the past few months, and some of the old users have been absent. There used to be a lot of interesting topical discussion, but now it tends to be more game specific or just tech support. GB is my home now.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dethfish
@Brundage: I'm not trying to hate on gamespot. If anything I'm hating on the users, but only a portion of them. 
Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Brundage
@Dethfish77: if GB ever gets as popular as Gamespot they'll suffer from the same problem.
Avatar image for deactivated-6296e29cde7c5
deactivated-6296e29cde7c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buzz_killington said:
" I have boycotted GameStop since October '08 and haven't looked back ever since. "

Same here, but since July of '08 for me.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#46  Edited By natetodamax
@Dethfish77 said:
" @natetodamax: What, that I went to gamespot? "
Precisely
DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
@ahriman22 said:
" It's pretty much always been like that. Next thing you know, GS is the next 4chon. Honestly though, the reviews have become quite shit, the video reviews anyways, ever since everyone left. "
Yep, I don't watch their video reviews for games I want either because as of late they've put some spoilers in the video clips like their Riddick Review. Seriously, they put the last boss fight in the review video...why the fuck would you do that?
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TwoOneFive

Giantbomb>Gamespot 

/thread

(seriously, enough of this shit)
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I remember when I got the "Soapbox" emblem on Gamespot back in....2007? I think it was 2007 anyway. All was pretty well, but once I wrote an editorial about the Columbine Game being a good learning tool all fucking hell broke loose. Then I wrote an editorial about the moderators, and they didn't like that much. Not. One. Bit.

So they suspended me indefinetly instead of outright banning me. I found out I could still write reviews so I wrote a review of MGS2 which was actually just a wall of obscenities. And that's how I got banned the first time!

The second time I got banned was for saying the word "ape". Yuuuuuup.....

Anyways, the GS forums have always been a shithole, but the staff and regular bloggers were what kept me coming back all the time. Now that both of those components are gone....well, let's just say the inmates are running the asylum.

Avatar image for digyourowngrave
Digyourowngrave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Digyourowngrave

Pretty much everyone there is a dick :S they just arent very nice to each other on the forums.  I mean sure we have our bad seeds who feel the need to feel cool on the internet, but GS is 90% douche bag