What Am I Missing About The Walking Dead?

• 69 results
mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mzuckerm

I wanted to like this series, I really did.  I love most zombie movies I've seen, and I was very intrigued by the thought that we'd get to explore a lot more elements that go along with a zombie outbreak in a series format (initial reaction, political/governmental response, military/civilian distinction, societal breakdown, survivor stories, etc.).  But I got halfway through the second episode and I just couldn't take it anymore.  The dialogue is just atrocious, the pacing of the plot is slow, and everything that isn't terrible has been done to death in the movies.  Also, the storylines about the cop's wife/former partner and the racist redneck with the sniper rifle are beyond moronic.  I love the executives for greenlighting this thing, but the writers are killing me.

desku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By desku

I found the pacing in the first and third episodes to be mind-numbingly slow, but I actually though the second was very well paced. But you're right about most points, it just seems like it's borrowing ideas from every single zombie film ever made and trying to cram them all into one, and it's not working that well. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Too many good TV dramas to waste 12 hours trying to get something just because the internet tells you its great. Cut'r loose, check back in when someone makes a "omg the last episode, elephant zombies" thread or something.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead

You'd be missing a boring show with stock characters and ridiculous plot points that has decided to waste a third of its first season one set piece. And they cancelled Rubicon for this.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho
@HandsomeDead: So Rubicon. I meant to check that out. Which uh, makes me part of the problem. Did it seem like it was going somewhere? 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead
@billnyethesciencepie: Pretty much everything that's involved that group of survivors he met in the building. Ranging from Merle just being there for the sake of causing drama to the asian kid, who I'll forever nickname Tokyo Drift, driving the muscle car all the way up to the camp with the alarm going off even though he knows it will alert the zombies. Since the end of the pilot, it's been a disaster but people will watch any old shit because of zombies.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
@ryanwho said:
" @HandsomeDead: So Rubicon. I meant to check that out. Which uh, makes me part of the problem. Did it seem like it was going somewhere?  "
Admittedly, it was messy in spots because they swapped show runners after the second episode but the show's slow pace was more than made up for with the intriguing atmosphere and once it got beyond the first 4 or 5 episodes, it became a great conspiracy drama with a nice balance between the greater evil scheme and how it effected the people tasked with dealing with it. You should probably check it. it's entertaining and closed enough to be enjoyed as a one season wonder.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By audiosnag

Interesting. I love the show i think its fantastic. I've pretty much got zero complaints.
But if you're not into it no point watching it, probably better off watching something you enjoy more i guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

@audiosnag said:
" Interesting. I love the show i think its fantastic. I've pretty much got zero complaints. But if you're not into it no point watching it, probably better off watching something you enjoy more i guess. "
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho
@HandsomeDead said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @HandsomeDead: So Rubicon. I meant to check that out. Which uh, makes me part of the problem. Did it seem like it was going somewhere?  "
Admittedly, it was messy in spots because they swapped show runners after the second episode but the show's slow pace was more than made up for with the intriguing atmosphere and once it got beyond the first 4 or 5 episodes, it became a great conspiracy drama with a nice balance between the greater evil scheme and how it effected the people tasked with dealing with it. You should probably check it. it's entertaining and closed enough to be enjoyed as a one season wonder. "
One thing I appreciated about Kings when it got canned is they allowed the show to conclude, so like 4 more episodes were made after the decision was already final. And those were probably some of the better episodes. I like when production has respect for the small number of people who do enjoy a show and have the foresight to know those people are more likely to pick up the DVD later if they allow the show to conclude properly.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Man Ryanwho really hates The Walking Dead. I've seen like 5 posts from him about how terrible the show was. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

You notice strange things when you stalk people bro. I think me and Handsomedead have been sounding off about equally, but if you wanna take this opportunity to derail a thread and schedule a playground fight that's fine.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By SumDeus

I've loved it so far, but I do agree that the last episode (ep 3) was terribly fucking slow. Tomorrow's episode seems very very promising though.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187

There's the fact that it's the first time zombie ANYTHING has been serialized for TV, which pushes new boundaries for what can and cannot be allowed on TV.  There's the fact that it's Frank Darabont, a highly respected and well-known director, is making the entire season.  There's the fact that it's a highly respected and critically acclaimed comic book series. 

As for the show, I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode, and I haven't seen the others because I don't have cable.  I know, I live in the prehistoric age of digital antenna.  Regardless, the first episode had a perfectly fine pace and intelligently written characters.  Rick Grimes is written to be some hillbilly hick dumbass, which makes me happy.  Actually, none of the characters so far have been written like dumbasses.  This isn't about the zombies - it's about surviving the conditions.  I guess that will be boring to quite a few people.  Those are the people that this show isn't made for.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho
@jakob187: Which apparently includes people who enjoyed the comic, where the focus and pacing was completely different. You don't get to say a show's great for being based on an acclaimed comic when they take so many liberties with the comic. Hogan's Heroes was the first Concentration Camp sitcom, being the first to do something doesn't mean your idea was brilliant. Sometimes it means the opposite.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@arab_prince said:
" @audiosnag said:
" Interesting. I love the show i think its fantastic. I've pretty much got zero complaints. But if you're not into it no point watching it, probably better off watching something you enjoy more i guess. "
"
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HandsomeDead
@jakob187: All zombie media is about surviving, the difference is, they regularly feature the zombies as a key point of context. In the previous episode, the relationship drama between Rick, Shane and Lori could have easily been taken from All My Children and verbatim fed into The Walking Dead. I understand that a zombie show isn't going to be all about killing zombies, and I didn't want that, but I wanted and expected the drama to be of a high standard (It is AMC, after all) and for it to at least feel like it was part of a larger, overarching plot. For a show called The Walking Dead and a pilot that seemed to set up the idea of following this one guy through the struggle of an apocalyptic world, the show has spent one episode introducing too many characters for the plot to handle and another on a seen-it-all-before love triangle. 
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@ryanwho said:
" You notice strange things when you stalk people bro. I think me and Handsomedead have been sounding off about equally, but if you wanna take this opportunity to derail a thread and schedule a playground fight that's fine. "
I've also noticed he's kind of a dick.
TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheKramer89
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @ryanwho said:
" You notice strange things when you stalk people bro. I think me and Handsomedead have been sounding off about equally, but if you wanna take this opportunity to derail a thread and schedule a playground fight that's fine. "
I've also noticed he's kind of a dick. "

hahaha. watch out man, he's gonna kick your ass. oh yeah, this is the internet...
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Yanngc33

You must be pretty sick of zambies i sure am

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By TwoLines

Bah. It's not bad. It's not very good either. I'd say it's better than most of the crap in the TV right now.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ozzdog12
@arab_prince said:
" @audiosnag said:
"
inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By inkerman

I like it because I like post-Apocalyptic movies and shows, and the only other TV series I can think of like this are the UK show Survivors which was cancelled after 2 seasons and Jericho, cancelled twice with what was essentially only one and a half seasons. So called 'cult' shows, which include other tv series like Firefly, don't do well because they're difficult to mould into the traditional drama form of about 6 people and their assorted issues. Such shows keep getting sidetracked with other, more interesting side points like 'zombies' and 'space', which the vast majority of viewers can't keep up with. Shows like Stargate have only survived because they keep changing the setting, dumbing down to shit, or changing the characters.

Obviously this plagues sci-fi more than other genres, but real action series suffer too, the only ones I can currently think of are Human Target and Nikita (which I believe is getting less than satisfactory ratings), it's not that they're bad shows, but the writers are doing twice the work of the writers on Brothers and Sisters and the like, because they have to write about situation on top of relationships. You can literally put all the characters of those shows in a room and have them say their lines, and everything will still make sense.

Not to be a pessimist, but the Walking Dead will make it through this season strong into its second, lose out throughout both the second and third, and be cancelled by the end of or with the end of the fourth (assuming the writers and producers will take it that far anyway). If you think it about it, that's still a good run.

Also;

RUBICON WAS CANCELLED??

thaijedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thaijedi
@mzuckerm: I completely agree with you. If you want everything you say you wanted minus the government reaction stuff, get all the books, they are amazing! Each book is like 40 or so pages and we are only on the 10the page of the first book! There are 13 books so far, this is ridiculously slow even by my standards. The tv series is awful I wanted to like it I really did cause I love the comic book series so much but it's soooo slow!
cherub09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cherub09

I'm a big fan of the show... and now I want to read the comics. I can't figure out if I like Lori or hate the skank.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By ManlyBeast

I think it's a great show. I read the book 1 and 2 of the walking dead also.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HandsomeDead said:

" @jakob187: All zombie media is about surviving, the difference is, they regularly feature the zombies as a key point of context. In the previous episode, the relationship drama between Rick, Shane and Lori could have easily been taken from All My Children and verbatim fed into The Walking Dead. I understand that a zombie show isn't going to be all about killing zombies, and I didn't want that, but I wanted and expected the drama to be of a high standard (It is AMC, after all) and for it to at least feel like it was part of a larger, overarching plot. For a show called The Walking Dead and a pilot that seemed to set up the idea of following this one guy through the struggle of an apocalyptic world, the show has spent one episode introducing too many characters for the plot to handle and another on a seen-it-all-before love triangle.  "

You just seem to be picking show apart, it just seems like it doesn't float your boat. 
The first episode introduced the two main characters and his neighbour's and follows the graphic novel fairly well with some differentiations between the two. By the third episode you get an idea of the main characters and the troubles they face and the whole point of the show is to see if and how they survive and how they react in these situations. I think the show is great, the second episode was pretty cliche and felt like a plain old zombie flick but 3 really brought things back with the whole camp setting and him finding his child and wife. 

I see what your saying about the love triangle but I do think it's nothing like any show that has been done, this is in a whole other environment and having them deal with it in these circumstances makes it a little more intense.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By tebbit

Sharp writing, likeable and interesting characters, fantastic pacing. 

IMO.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By J12088

I think it's great. Sit back, relax and enjoy. If you're able to write a paragraph or more explaning why it's a bad show you're probably thinking to much on it.

Judoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Judoka

I think that the show is great.  I imagine that the seasons  may cover an entire graphic novel.  The series will get better and a little crazier (The Governor).  If you have never read the comic books or the Graphic novels the ending of this season, if done like the book then it will surprise you. 

I think that the series will last about 4-5 seasons.  The talent behind the show is great and the show is attracting non-horror fans. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dany
@ryanwho said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @ryanwho said:
Admittedly, it was messy in spots because they swapped show runners after the second episode but the show's slow pace was more than made up for with the intriguing atmosphere and once it got beyond the first 4 or 5 episodes, it became a great conspiracy drama with a nice balance between the greater evil scheme and how it effected the people tasked with dealing with it. You should probably check it. it's entertaining and closed enough to be enjoyed as a one season wonder. "
One thing I appreciated about Kings when it got canned is they allowed the show to conclude, so like 4 more episodes were made after the decision was already final. And those were probably some of the better episodes. I like when production has respect for the small number of people who do enjoy a show and have the foresight to know those people are more likely to pick up the DVD later if they allow the show to conclude properly. "
Yeah! Another Kings fan! Yeah, I agree that hte final episodes were the best aswell as the pilot but it sucked that hte finale ended in a cliffhanger
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CaptainCody

All new The Walking Dead tonight at 10 pm eastern. 
Only on AMC: Story matters here.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By warxsnake

This is not to the OP but the guy that has a problem with the show 

Yeah a good reason to hate Walking dead is that there's an asian driving a muscle car in it. How could they?? 

Please, based on the shit selection of shows this fall, I'm more than satisfied with what W.D. has to offer.

seitanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By seitanic

Needs less shitty drama. 

More like the TALKING Dead, amirite?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Doctorchimp

I was never big on the whole zombie thing, I always thought it was played out even when 28 days later hit the scene. 

The Walking Dead just seems average to me, but with an HBO budget thrown at it....which reminds me I have to watch Boardwalk Empire that's taunting on my cable's OnDemand...I'm also waiting for Game of Thrones to come out...jesus HBO you might not bless with The Wire again but you might get close.

But yeah people who cream their pants talking about The Walking Dead always make me laugh, when it's not even the best show on AMC...and I'm talking about Breaking Bad. I'm sure there are Mad Men fans who don't think that highly of The Walking Dead either.

Also Rubicon fans? Does it get that much better after the shitty pilot I watched?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Inkerman: The difference is great writers will realize sometimes the situation WILL make characters put their shit in perspective. When a character just brings up personal history in the middle of a crisis right when everyone can breath, it doesn't feel real...it feels shoehorned.  

For example I know we're talking about shows, but I was watching Push the movie last night and if felt like the writer tried to shove as much 7th heaven drama he could in this movie about psychics... 

A lot of shows do this, it doesn't make the characters feel real it lets me know the writer is terrible.
DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DeShawn2ks
@mzuckerm: You can't get into it because you are a hater and that is what haters do. I am sorry I am sick today and it is hard for me to come up with a good comeback for you not liking something I love. Serious though it looks like it just isn't your thing and there is nothing wrong with that. I disagree with you not liking the dialogue and the slow pacing. To me slow pacing doesn't equal bad. There are parts in the comic that are very slow and there isn't a zombie to be seen for a while so I can't see you getting into down the road. There are a lot of slow parts that build up to something big in the end and if you are not into added onto the dialogue it is cool. There are a lot of things that end up happening that I have never seen in a zombie movie before. But unfortunetly you probably won't make it that far to see those things from the sound of it. 

Only character I haven't like so far in the show is the abusive husband. I wasn't liking Merle to much until the beginning of the 3rd episode and I would like to think the writers have big plans for him and they made him unlikable for a reason. Sawyer on Lost was a annoying and bad character too and he turned out in the end to be my favorite one on the show. I would say stick with it and hopefully it grabs you before the season is up. If it doesn't all I ask of you is to get a few more people to watch it so it doesn't get cancelled anytime soon I am loving the show. It is one of the few things I can tolerate to watch on shitty ass cable these days. Also what is this Rubicon everyone is talking about?
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Djeffers03

Im no TV critic but 1 thing is for sure: FUCKING FRANCIS WAS IN EPISODE 2!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iam3green

it's a great show man. if i remember i watch it a lot.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By azrailx

its a tv show, not a movie that is forced to rush the plot at the end 
character devlopment and plot + zombies how can u complain 
of course it not perfect but i cant imagine wut kind of crap u enjoy 

=)

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43  Edited By mzuckerm
@thaijedi: I'll check it out.  Generally the books are better than the movies/tv shows, so I might be able to get into it that way.  Does the show stick more or less to the same story as the books? 

@DeShawn2ks: Trust me, I really wanted to like the show.  Given the majority reaction here (and the reaction of some friends of mine when I made the same complaint), I might have to give it another shot.  My problem with the pacing is not so much that it's slow, but that so much of the slowness doesn't really build tension or is otherwise just boring.  I can get into a slow developing plot if the writers can string me along, but I wasn't getting anything from the first episode and a half.  I stand by my complaint about the dialogue though.  Three or four times each of the first two episodes, it's been bad enough that I've had a "WTF" reaction.  I know Lost (which I liked very much, or at least the first 3 or 4 seasons) developed slowly, but it did a great job getting you into the mystery of the island while in the process developing deep characters.  Here, I haven't seen anything that makes me want to keep watching.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I haven't watched any of it, mostly because I'm just so burnt out on zombies.

bcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bcc

I like the show. I think the characters are fairly realistic - yes, even Merle and his brother. I can see how some people would view them as an awkward attempt at some heavy-handed satire, but being from the deep South, I can say that those guys are believable characters. Rick (main character) seems a bit shallow and too Jesus-like for my tastes, being mostly an engine to move the plot and establish the setting, but episode 3 suggested that there were some issues with his marriage before his coma - as he and Lori were laying down to sleep, he said something about having a second chance. Maybe that situation will uncover more about his personality. I'm pleased with the acting and dialogue as well. I'd like to go back and compare the dialogue in the show with the dialogue in the comic; I only read the first issue in anticipation of the show but the writing seemed pretty pedestrian and I didn't bother to go any further.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Osaladin

I actually really like the show, I agree it's losing the steam it built up with the first 2 episodes, but after last night's ending, I think sort of redeemed itself. All in all, I'm looking forward to the next season.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ragdrazi
@mzuckerm said:
"  I love most zombie movies I've seen, and I was very intrigued by the thought that we'd get to explore a lot more elements that go along with a zombie outbreak in a series format (initial reaction, political/governmental response, military/civilian distinction, societal breakdown, survivor stories, etc.). 
Read World War Z. Much better treatment.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By raviolisumo

I've been enjoying the show, but last night's episode was utter garbage. Hopefully next week will be better.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cstrang
@jakob187 said:
" This isn't about the zombies - it's about surviving the conditions. "
QFT.  I think the main thing that divides the viewer base of the first episode was that it was billed as a zombie show.  I bet half the people were expecting a serialized zombie-movie-type experience, the other half knew what they were getting into from reading the comic.  I admit, I don't like the show as much as others (like, say, most of the people that post regularly on Screened), but it's a novel approach to character drama.  I think the pacing has a nasty tendency to be a little slower than it needs to be/should be, but it's not going to keep me from watching the rest of the season, especially now that Eastbound and Down and Bored to Death are over.  There is literally nothing else of interest on in that timeslot anymore.
krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By krystians

Please remember that this series is not about zombies as much as it is about survival. Expect more dialogue and less eating.