• 95 results
#1 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

With X-Com coming out in a few days I called in to work last night and got my supervisor to schedule one of my vacation days off to be this Tuesday as my weekend is currently Sundays/Mondays and I would have had to work on the day the game came out. XCom is the first game in more time then I can remember that I have genuinely been excited for and have been looking forward to getting into. So the idea of only getting a few hours after work to play it was not going to be enough to satiate my desires for this game. So I took the day off.

I was wondering, what are some games that other folks have taken time off work/school/avoided general life duties to invest some serious time into?

#2 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -

I can only remember doing that once. When I was 12 or so, I faked being sick to stay home from school and play Final Fantasy X.

#3 Posted by BisonHero (6447 posts) -

I have never done this, no matter how hyped I was for a game. A) I'm not gonna take time off from work because money is awesome, and B) I need a slightly better reason to skip class/lecture.

#4 Posted by believer258 (11800 posts) -

Well, I ran out of gas just as I got home Friday so I skipped my accounting class and played Sleeping Dogs. Come to find out, there was a gas can somewhere in the garage so I didn't actually get to skip a full day, just one class. Still had to go to my other class and work.

#5 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

Diablo 3...and the servers were down so...I think I just read a book that day

#6 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Right now it's Borderlands 2. I love that game, but it can get pretty repetitive after a while, so I'm taking a break.

#7 Posted by talkingtoast (85 posts) -

I did it for the Burning Crusade expansion, I think I was in about grade 7. Then Halo 3 in grade 8, Wrath of the Lich King in grade 9, and Skyrim in grade 12. No regrets.

#8 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

I actually made myself ill when San Andreas came out so I could take time off school

#9 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I booked off the next few days after Skyrim came out, that's it really.

#10 Posted by bobafettjm (1458 posts) -

I have never taken a day off of work or school for a video game. There have been times where I sure did want to, but I never went through with it.

#11 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

Never took vacation time off work for video games, but skipped plenty of school and just ended up playing video games all day (what else am I going to do?)

#12 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

I have never done this, no matter how hyped I was for a game. A) I'm not gonna take time off from work because money is awesome, and B) I need a slightly better reason to skip class/lecture.

That's what vacation time is for. Where I work it's use it or lose it. It's just a paid day off and they expire at the end of every year. I don't go on vacations and holidays don't mean any thing to me, so I just sprinkle them around the year when I feel like a long weekend or to extend an already long one one more day. Usually I'm pretty good with getting my weekend to coincide with a something I'm looking forward to, like E3, but this one didn't work out.

#13 Posted by Nightriff (4991 posts) -

I timed Skyrim at work so I would have the weekend to play, in high school I did so crazy stuff in scheduling my work around tv shows, game and cd releases (when I still bought them). I'm sure I've done it with a game but no particular one comes to mind. When I lived at home and my parents would go out of town for vacation or visiting my siblings I would get the weekend off and end up playing games the whole time, they of course didn't know that otherwise I would've had to go with them.

#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

I took 2 days off for Skyrim.

#15 Posted by JacDG (2119 posts) -

I skipped 3 hours of class to play MW3 with my buddies all night the day of release, and I skipped a day to play Madden once as well when I was really young, that's about it. I'm at a point in my life where I don't get that excited about video games anymore, and I never play for more than an hour or so at the time anyway, so it won't be something I'd do in the foreseeable future.

#16 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

Not so much, but all this past week I was extremely industrious and social just to free up time for XCOM this week. Anyone comes knocking, they can fuggoff!

#17 Posted by NegativeCero (2995 posts) -

The last one I did that for was Oblivion. Although I do remember skipping school when I was younger to play Mario Sunshine and now I have fond memories of that game despite people liking to hate on it.

#18 Posted by Joe_Wildheart (76 posts) -

Me and a couple of mates took a week off work when Gears of War 3 was released. Also when Battlefield 3 came out, took a couple of sick days.

#19 Posted by csl316 (8448 posts) -

My vacation and birthday week just happens to coincide with Halo 4. Added bonus!

#20 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

I would never be allowed to skip school for a video game, and I've never had a job either so.......never, I guess.

#22 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1993 posts) -

I remember doing that when I picked up Persona 4, right after I marathoned the ER of it for the first time.

Skipped three days of school (in two weeks, to be fair) so I could play that shit. I've never skipped work for a game though.

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1005 posts) -

I pulled a sicky for a few days to play Skyrim 

#24 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2363 posts) -

I'm going to try and skip class when Halo 4 launches. Otherwise I can't really remember any instances of doing this.

#25 Posted by TheZodiac (34 posts) -

GTAIV. That was the first and last.

#26 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

None. Played the hell out of video games but never felt the need to skip work, school, etc.

#27 Posted by Schatzy23 (159 posts) -

Never skipped any class or work when I was a student to take days off.

Since I rarely ever take any time off work for anything else, I've used PTO for the Tuesday and Wednesday to play Batman: Arkham City and Battlefield 3. I took the Friday Skyrim came out plus the following Monday and Tuesday to play it. I'm planning on using PTO for the Tuesday and Wednesday that Halo 4 comes out.

#28 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (618 posts) -

Took time off to play GT5 then they pushed it back, so i went on a trip. Took time off for WoW Cataclysm and got to level cap in a day. And now I only have school so I don't have to take off work to play any game.

#29 Posted by Jrinswand (1704 posts) -

I don't ever really take off time but I make sure that I play as much as I need/want to, one way or the other.

#30 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Only when I was a stupid child, I would NEVER call out from my job for a video game.

#31 Posted by Dethfish (3646 posts) -

I skipped class the day Trials Evolution came out because I was up all night playing it.

#32 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

I don't remember ever setting out to do that, but on the days where I didn't go to class I probably used a few of those hours for video games. Taking a vacation day is fine, but I feel that faking sickness or whatever to shun responsibilities is immature, and not something I'm proud of doing in the past.

#33 Posted by hawkinson76 (362 posts) -

No

#34 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -
@GoofyGoober

Only when I was a stupid child, I would NEVER call out from my job for a video game.

Looks like you've really grown up, Goofy Goober.
#35 Posted by EVO (3893 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

I do remember skipping school when I was younger to play Mario Sunshine and now I have fond memories of that game despite people liking to hate on it.

I'm beginning to thing that is a myth, people hating on Sunshine. All I ever see is praise.

#36 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

I probably missed most of my lectures the week Skyrim came out.

#37 Posted by TheMathlete (323 posts) -

I skipped a few classes in high school and college to play video games, but that's about it.

#38 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

Last Rockstar games. IE. GTA IV and RDR. Although I doubt that will happen again. Especially since I've become father few months back. Last time when I took day off to do some gaming wife left me with the baby and went shopping with her friend.

#39 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

I booked a day off to play Mass Effect 3. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have done that.

#40 Posted by Addfwyn (1921 posts) -

I could never justify taking time off work for any reason outside of debilitating illness. Certainly not a video game. Some things are just more important in life than playing games, and work should really be one of them.

#41 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

I have pretty flexible working hours, so if there's something I really want to play I can arrange my time off to coincide with a games release.

I definitely wouldn't fake illness or anything like that though. That's stupid to do at school/university and completely irresponsible if you're working.

#42 Posted by CaLe (3959 posts) -

It's funny how some people see skipping work as a mortal sin or something. I never understand that attitude. Life is for living, not working. Anyway, I've never done this, but I remember refusing to stay and do overtime when I wanted to get home and play a game. I have zero problem saying no to overtime/working extra days.

#43 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

@CaLe said:

It's funny how some people see skipping work as a mortal sin or something. I never understand that attitude. Life is for living, not working. Anyway, I've never done this, but I remember refusing to stay and do overtime when I wanted to get home and play a game. I have zero problem saying no to overtime/working extra days.

I can see calling in sick when you are not as a bad thing, but I don't see why using vacation time for a game is being viewed as such a mortal sin. I don't go on vacations and holidays don't have any special meanings for me so I don't really have much else to take them off for other then when I just feel like a long weekend.

I used to do overtime like a mad man and take every hour that I could get, until I realized that there was no point to it. The more I worked the less I got as it all went right into taxes.

#44 Edited by CaLe (3959 posts) -

@crusader8463: I'm just reminded of this video I watched when I hear people talk about work as though it's the most important thing in life. Maybe they are the lucky few who have found their true passion and have the rare opportunity to work in that field, but taking pride in simply working for money... I can't understand the motivation behind that. Maybe it's because I don't have any dependents to worry about. I agree though, calling in sick on short notice is a bit of a dick move. Absolutely no harm in taking paid/non-paid vacations any time you want, whether that be for a holiday or simply to relax and enjoy some gaming. I think I heard that Americans don't get much vacation time though... That sucks!

#45 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

I feel like most people don't have salary jobs here or jobs that have time sensitive vacation days? Not really seeing the immaturity angle here. They're called paid vacation days for a reason. If you get paid hourly, then sure.

#46 Posted by Bogitt (201 posts) -

I've taken time off sleep to play video games quite a few times.

#47 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

@Addfwyn said:

I could never justify taking time off work for any reason outside of debilitating illness. Certainly not a video game. Some things are just more important in life than playing games, and work should really be one of them.

I had that same attitude, and then I found out that if I didn't take my sick or vacation days, they couldn't pay out at the end of the year for all of them. I need to take sick days, or it's money going out the window. Money I'd get for doing nothing.

Starcraft II and GT5 are the ones I remember most recently. GT5 was scheduled since it was the day before thanksgiving.

#48 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I devoted a week off from work two years ago mostly to Monster Hunter Tri, had to get it out of my system.

#49 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Never, need the money to pay for that shit.

#50 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -

I've never skipped school for a video game...