This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

First they ruined the search page by removing the left sidebar, now this is the new YouTube:

I mean what? I'm only on 1920x1080 and look at that white space, it's ridiculous.

#2 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Yeah, there's already a thread about this. But I completely agree, it's fucking bullshit. And now I know your youtube account, it's only a matter of time before I find you IRL.

#3 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

The video hanging out on the left side when watching is insanely bad looking too. Example:

And yes, both screen shots are in the 'larger video' size of the three possible settings: Normal, larger, fullscreen.

#4 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

It's not that big of a deal. I just magnify my vids whenever i'm on Youtube to center them. Besides the basic layout I think it's pretty great.

#5 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1672 posts) -

I just saw that ... its terrible.

#6 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

When they started messing up the front page really badly I just bookmarked this link, that way only videos show up and it shows the newest ones first. 
Sadly can't do much about the player itself. 
Even making the video player larger just looks dumb, so much space left on the right side even when you "center" the video. 

Oh well, Fullscreen was invented for a reason

#7 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Trainer_Red said:

It's not that big of a deal. I just magnify my vids whenever i'm on Youtube to center them. Besides the basic layout I think it's pretty great.

It centers it for you? If you check out my post above yours, that's what mine looks like largified.

#8 Posted by Fattony12000 (7527 posts) -

Well thank god, it's now 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 times better because you can scroll through a list of all your subs WITHOUT HAVING TO OPEN A NEW GODDAMN PAGE.

But yes, it's quite white out there.

#9 Posted by DeathByWaffle (641 posts) -

Why did they choose not to center the page? It looks terrible.

#10 Posted by SlashDance (1828 posts) -

I honestly thought something was wrong with my browser when I saw everything became white and the whole site was not centered anymore.

#11 Edited by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Trainer_Red said:

It centers it for you? If you check out my post above yours, that's what mine looks like largified.

Yeah it adjusts by itself when I magnify the screen. I also like that I can make it larger without having to go to that annoying full screen mode.

#12 Posted by Ben_H (3383 posts) -

The general rule of thumb with non-Search web products for Google is that they get worse with every major update. Youtube has, Google Plus, Gmail has.

#13 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Trainer_Red said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Trainer_Red said:

Yeah it adjusts by itself when I magnify the screen. I also like that I can make it larger without having to go to that annoying full screen mode.

Oh wow, yeah. 
Zooming it to 150% in chrome and it centers the video. That's great, thanks for letting me know!  

Also it makes it so I can't see the comments, I assume. which is always a plus! 
(I use an extension to remove the comments now though, but still! it's a plus!)
#14 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: Yeah it's pretty awesome. You also can't go wrong with the Google Chrome extension "Turn off The Lights". It basically dims the screen outside of the video you are watching so you can see it better with a click of a button. I only bring that up because a lot of people are complaining about it being so bright which is easily fixable.

#15 Posted by B0nd07 (1700 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

I honestly thought something was wrong with my browser when I saw everything became white and the whole site was not centered anymore.

Same; I kept seeing it over the last couple weeks, but refreshing the page made it change back, so I assumed something was up with their CSS or something.

#16 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Trainer_Red: Didn't youtube have that feature on it's own at one point?  
Or am I thinking of another site. But yeah, that extension is gold if you're tired of the bright look.  

But again, I mostly watch videos in fullscreen anyway so it doesn't really bother me all that much except for when it's older videos or a video uploaded by someone who apparantly has no clue what HD is, in 2012. 
#17 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

@Sooty: There's already a thread on this over here. Please always check before you post, thanks.