• 136 results
#51 Posted by DeF (4975 posts) -

Platform Wars

Never gonna end.

#52 Posted by Witzig (335 posts) -

The Big Bang theory vs. Community vs. How I met your Mother

#53 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Sex with kids is the most Controversial topic of them all.

#54 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

@Witzig said:

The Big Bang theory vs. Community vs. How I met your Mother

Shut the fuck up and die.

Geez, I didn't even get your opinion before I decided I hated you.

#55 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@forkboy: You should read my reply to animasta, it might clear things up for you.

#56 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Religion is 100% the most controversial topic.

Also, religion is stupid and dumb.

#57 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Now I want to start a thread about 0.99999....=1?

#58 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Jace said:

@Animasta: Of course I understand why it's still debated. But tell me, what's the difference between humpty dumpty falling off of a wall, and an old man putting two of every animal in a big boat? I can make that original statement without the intention of "being a dick", because it isn't slander, is it? I made a statement saying that two things are alike, why does that make me a dick?

You may know better, but you will never convert people by belittling them. If you want to convert them you need to show them why, and i dont mean by shoving science in their face. Guess were I learned that. The fucken bible.

The Bible may not be fact, and I dont think of it as such my self. But I also do not dismiss it, It can be a powerfull Ally. It is more of a guide, not to be taken Literally.

#59 Posted by MonkeyMitcho (115 posts) -

I believe religion even though i'm a christian and i think most religious people get a bad rap (sometimes reasonably so) of forcing opinions but i think everybody should just accept that there's a thing called "having an opinion" and that what you think doesn't make you right.

#60 Posted by MonkeyMitcho (115 posts) -

@Jace: no offense but i'm not listening to anyone who had their profile picture in the bathroom mirror

#61 Posted by DonutFever (3536 posts) -

Abortion, Genocide, Slavery.

#62 Posted by mekon (288 posts) -

Should I have worn pants to work today?

#63 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Jace said:

@Animasta: Of course I understand why it's still debated. But tell me, what's the difference between humpty dumpty falling off of a wall, and an old man putting two of every animal in a big boat? I can make that original statement without the intention of "being a dick", because it isn't slander, is it? I made a statement saying that two things are alike, why does that make me a dick?

fairy tales were always meant not to be taken truthfully and just teach kids that stealing is bad or don't sit on high walls, whereas the bible can be taken either truthfully or not, plus the fact that the bible is an important book to many christians whereas no one really gives a shit about humpty dumpty.

you are making a, TECHNICALLY ACCURATE, comparison but disregarding the history of the bible and the christian faith and that's being a dick because you are equating the bible, which many people take very seriously, to a story that is not taken seriously by anyone. It's like saying that Giant Bomb and, say, CNN, are the same exact thing. technically accurate, in that they both report on news, but it disregards all other factors.

So yeah don't be a dick

#64 Posted by Zeelx (1 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

What the title says: what are the most controversial discussions you've witnessed?

• Every time the topic of tipping comes up, everyone vehemently defends or attacks the subject with the enthusiasm of a hungry manticore (or something). Also, at least one person posts a pic of Steve Buscemi.
  • One time we were debating birth rates and the burden of overpopulation in class, and I casually suggested we institute a One Child Per Family law like China. Holy shit, did everyone explode on me like I was some kind of insane person. Granted, I'm an only child, but I figured it was reasonable - if you don't have siblings, you make friends and their act as your surrogate siblings, so I figured it would work out. One girl got especially pissed at me, asking stuff like whether or not her siblings shouldn't have been born.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Obviously there's subjects like politics which are inherently 'controversial', but I'm thinking along the lines of semi-inane topics.

Well, i can see why people flipped out over your little suggestion. Your "reasoning" is pretty bad. As an only child myself, I wouldn't impose some one child crap on anyone and especially not for some stupid fabricated reason like "overburden". America and Canada is not overburden by children, its the fatcat idiots lulling about in the top 10% that we have too much of.

#65 Posted by ShockD (2421 posts) -

Definitely religion.

#66 Posted by NickBOTT (473 posts) -

Religion and politics.

#67 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -
@Jace said:

If you want the philosophical take on it, the fetishization of truth does not lead to happy lives for all.
#68 Edited by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

WHICH SWEAR WORDS GO 'OVER THE LINE'

/end topic

#69 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Paper or plastic.

I have one more that's even more controversial, pancakes or waffles.

#70 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@DonutFever said:

I am pretty sure genocide is agreed by most people as being a bad thing. Same thing with slavery.

#71 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Jace said:

If you want the philosophical take on it, the fetishization of truth does not lead to happy lives for all.

Man, way to make Persona 4 a helluva lot more depressing.

#72 Posted by DonutFever (3536 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver said:

@DonutFever said:

I am pretty sure genocide is agreed by most people as being a bad thing. Same thing with slavery.

With the last two I was talking more about the kind of people who support not educating about it. I should have been clearer.
#73 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@Turambar said:

@Jace said:

Man, way to make Persona 4 a helluva lot more depressing.

Now you know how I feel every time I plan a game with that kind of plot. 
#74 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Turambar:

You mean the type where Japanese high schoolers have psychological issues to deal with, or the type that ends exactly like Final Fantasy IV :P?

#75 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@Turambar:

You mean the type where Japanese high schoolers have psychological issues to deal with, or the type that ends exactly like Final Fantasy IV :P?

Mind control for everyone!
#76 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

Probably religion. It's being debated about in this very thread!

#77 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@Animasta: So their value judgement of the bible is more valid than mine? If they think it's literal, then I shouldn't say otherwise? And if I do, I'm a dick? What an unbiased, well-balanced statement you conjured up there. Nice job.

#78 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@MonkeyMitcho: Invalidating someone's ideas based on an irrelevant factor such as a profile picture is the intellectual equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears. But, you're used to that.

#79 Posted by zombie2011 (5047 posts) -

@DonutFever said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@DonutFever said:

With the last two I was talking more about the kind of people who support not educating about it. I should have been clearer.

Who supports not educating about Genocide and Slavery? I'm pretty sure everyone knows about the Holocaust!

Sure i can see the the Cambodian and Rwandan genocide not being taught in High School World History, because the scope of the class is what it is and lets face it the Rwandan Genocide isn't as important as Industrialization when were talking about world history. But out of high school it'll be hard to find a college that doesn't talk about genocide whether it be in anthropology or history.

#80 Posted by Mageman (349 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Jace said:

fairy tales were always meant not to be taken truthfully and just teach kids that stealing is bad or don't sit on high walls, whereas the bible can be taken either truthfully or not, plus the fact that the bible is an important book to many christians whereas no one really gives a shit about humpty dumpty.

you are making a, TECHNICALLY ACCURATE, comparison but disregarding the history of the bible and the christian faith and that's being a dick because you are equating the bible, which many people take very seriously, to a story that is not taken seriously by anyone. It's like saying that Giant Bomb and, say, CNN, are the same exact thing. technically accurate, in that they both report on news, but it disregards all other factors.

So yeah don't be a dick

It can't really be taken more truthfully for any logical reason, unless a person endured severe brainwashing and indoctrination from an early age, but I bet I could do the same with LOTR and teach my children about Gandalf and the rest.

#81 Posted by Irvandus (2878 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

tits or ass

We have a winner, this thread is over.

#82 Posted by MonkeyMitcho (115 posts) -

@Jace:

#83 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Turambar:

#84 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Jace said:

@Animasta: So their value judgement of the bible is more valid than mine? If they think it's literal, then I shouldn't say otherwise? And if I do, I'm a dick? What an unbiased, well-balanced statement you conjured up there. Nice job.

it's neither more valid than the other, but to assert that it is the same as something nobody believes is true is a dick move, sorry!

I don't believe in the bible either, but you know what works for me? letting people believe what they want to believe.

If someone gets all fundamentalist on you or fucking whatever, then you can get as argumentative and dimishing of Christianity as you want on them (I would personally just stop talking to them because I know better) but to insult all people who believe in the bible like that is dick move, because most christians aren't going to attack you like that for being atheist, that's not how christianity is supposed to work.

#85 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -
@Mageman said:

@Animasta said:

@Jace said:

So yeah don't be a dick

It can't really be taken more truthfully for any logical reason, unless a person endured severe brainwashing and indoctrination from an early age, but I bet I could do the same with LOTR and teach my children about Gandalf and the rest.

Except going that route, it instantly dehumanizes all opposition as brainwashed and indoctrinated, and holds half the responsibility for the lack of non-confrontational discussions on the subject.
#86 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@Turambar said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Turambar:

Well...Zemus was from the moon...
#87 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Star Trek or Star Wars. People have shed blood over that topic.

#88 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Turambar:

You want me to become an evil spirit who wanted to turn Earth into Moon Condo Land? Not in the mood to be a hypocrite.

#89 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@Animasta: Most Christians won't attack you for being atheist? Did I really just read that? What planet are you on, it must be different from Earth. How's the atmosphere over there?

#90 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -
@Jace said:

@Animasta: Most Christians won't attack you for being atheist? Did I really just read that? What planet are you on, it must be different from Earth. How's the atmosphere over there?

If your purpose is to attempt to hold dialogue, then that line of logic leads you no where.  If you intend to simply browbeat, they by all means continue.
#91 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@Turambar:

You want me to become an evil spirit who wanted to turn Earth into Moon Condo Land? Not in the mood to be a hypocrite.

I'd prefer if you just stuck to the mass mind control.
#92 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

EVERYBODY just ignore Jace. He's a troll who knows big words... back away with extreme caution.

#93 Posted by MonkeyMitcho (115 posts) -

The answer is religion can we move on now?

#94 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Jace said:

I also forgot to mention that they won't attack you unless you act really snide and condescending towards them and or mention your atheism more than is strictly necessary.

I've been friends with Mormons and shit too, and we always got along because I never mentioned my atheism because it was never necessary, because christians don't talk about jesus (or joseph smith in this case) all the time. (they probably knew though). Most religious folk are pleasant people, and there are those that are hateful to you for being an atheist and that sucks, but to demonize the majority of christians because you've had bad experiences with a few is just as discriminatory.

for the record, I've lived in the big cities of Oregon and Nevada, so maybe you live in super rural buttfuck alabama or something and that probably sucks, but I've never ran into someone that was super belligerant about christianity.

#95 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@Turambar: Neither, I'm just trying to contact someone from a different planet, and he seems like a good start. Maybe he knows something we don't. I'm trying to solve our energy crisis, one GB post at a time.

#96 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

carl sagan is mai waifu~~~~~~

#97 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -
@Jace said:

@Turambar: Neither, I'm just trying to contact someone from a different planet, and he seems like a good start. Maybe he knows something we don't. I'm trying to solve our energy crisis, one GB post at a time.

I wasn't addressing your conversation with Animasta, rather your take on religious folks in general.  Because it seems like you do in fact actively endorse that which others have criticized you for in this thread: purposefully negating any possibilities of a reasonable dialogue on the subject.
#98 Posted by MonkeyMitcho (115 posts) -

#99 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (320 posts) -

Well this thread sure took a right nose dive.

#100 Posted by Icemo (659 posts) -

Spelling words in English. Americans and British won't back down silently when it comes to this topic.

Aluminium or aluminum? (Please don't start an argument)