• 136 results
#101 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

@Icemo said:

Spelling words in English. Americans and British won't back down silently when it comes to this topic.

Aluminium or aluminum? (Please don't start an argument)

Yo fuck 'u's' in places where there shouldn't be 'u's'!!!

#102 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Religion gives people hope, and I dont care who you are, you have no right to take that a way from them.

#103 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@GentlemanlyGentleman said:

Well this thread sure took a right nose dive.

but it proved the answer was religion!

#104 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (320 posts) -
@Animasta said:

Can't argue with that.
#105 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -
@JasonR86 said:

@Icemo said:

Spelling words in English. Americans and British won't back down silently when it comes to this topic.

Aluminium or aluminum? (Please don't start an argument)

Yo fuck 'u's' in places where there shouldn't be 'u's'!!!

More like fuck umlauts.
#106 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

@Turambar: Minä pidän ääkkösistä.

Translation: I like germanic umlauts.

#107 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Can't argue with that.

How can anything that spawned this be controversial.      
#108 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@Turambar: What is it that you feel I endorse?

#109 Posted by Pr1mus (3909 posts) -

Patrick and Alex.

#110 Posted by Socialone (202 posts) -

Clearly the answer is religion, but I don't understand why many of us atheists feel the need to take the fight to the internet. Look at the past two centuries, Christianity is slowly dying as science progresses and the others will follow. It might take 100 or 300 years but in the meantime let theists be, most of them were socialized that way and therefore aren't fully responsible for their beliefs (neither am I).

I fear being a dick on videogame forums won't accelerate the process, Jace.

#111 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

@Socialone said:

Clearly the answer is religion, but I don't understand why many of us atheists feel the need to take the fight to the internet. Look at the past two centuries, Christianity is slowly dying as science progresses and the others will follow. It might take 100 or 300 years but in the meantime let theists be, most of them were socialized that way and therefore aren't fully responsible for their beliefs (neither am I).

I fear being a dick on videogame forums won't accelerate the process, Jace.

The thing is religion provides hope. Wrong or right is irrelevant really. It just provides hope so why not just let these people be? That's what Jace will never understand because it looks like he hates the idea that others think differently then him and that is the worst thing that can ever happen apparently.

#112 Edited by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Relationships

Religion

Politics

Whether you like Grand Theft Auto IV or not.

#113 Posted by ch3burashka (5073 posts) -

@zombiebigfoot said:

Star Trek or Star Wars. People have shed blood over that topic.

Wasn't that the Star Trek Wars? Or am I thinking of the Star Wars Trek?

#114 Edited by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

Definitely religion. It's funny when people argue over it...they just clump all religions together completely disregarding everything that separates them from one another.

Or Politics.

#115 Posted by Jrad (622 posts) -

There was a debate in my class a few weeks ago about overpopulation, and I was literally the only person in the class of 30-something that didn't find the concept of a one-child policy upsetting. I understand that in practice, there are some issues -- note the crazy gender skew China's experiencing, for instance -- but conceptually, I see no problem with letting the government decide how many children we should have, because I trust the government (slightly) more than the mentally deficient general population. If only our government wasn't elected by brain-dead incompetents, I'd be willing to vest even more power upon them.

Other debates in the class included:

- GM foods, whether they should be labelled. I argued that it should be illegal to label foods as 'organic' because it's complete bullshit. Apparently I was the only one with this opinion, as well.

- Alternative medicines. This was a topic that I felt pretty strongly about, specifically feeling that alt medicines should be illegal because they're a drain on resources. Some people actually agreed! There were a few dumbfuck supporters of the practices though, who I'm pretty sure should be given a failing grade and kicked out of the class.

- Forced sterilization of third-world countries: this was my 'solution to overpopulation'; not many agreed. I still support it wholeheartedly, though.

But yeah, controversial topics have always seemed really silly to me! It's endlessly amusing watching people get riled up over having their beliefs made fun of or demonstrated to be incorrect.

#116 Edited by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

@Jrad said:

- Forced sterilization of third-world countries: this was my 'solution to overpopulation'; not many agreed. I still support it wholeheartedly, though.

Yikes. First-world countries are free from sterilization then?

#117 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Having right wing views seems to cause a shitstorm, but if I had to pick something specific, it'd definitely be religion.

@Jrad said:

Hey, better yet why not start carpet bombing cities in India and China so we can start seeing some immediate results? Maybe contained nuclear strikes on major population centres in the third world will work well too!

#118 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Jrad said:

yeah, instituting it for third world countries only is pretty fucking terrible (and racist). Either do it for everyone (that doesn't have a negative birthrate, like Lithuania or Japan) or don't do it at all. I'd personally be down for an enforced one child only thing everywhere.

#119 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

I want to say Star Trek Wars. It'd be Star Wars, but nooooo.. the Trekkies just wouldn't have that.

#120 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Jrad said:

yeah, instituting it for third world countries only is pretty fucking terrible (and racist). Either do it for everyone (that doesn't have a negative birthrate, like Lithuania or Japan) or don't do it at all. I'd personally be down for an enforced one child only thing everywhere.

What would happen when it comes to enforcing it when a parent has more than one kid? I think it's a disgusting amount of control over something very core to being a human being.

#121 Edited by Digiwth (152 posts) -

I lose my shit at anyone who is either pro-death penalty or anti-multiculturalism. Heaven help them if they're both.

#122 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3150 posts) -

Religion.

#123 Posted by Digiwth (152 posts) -

@Apparatus_Unearth: Are you telling the truth?

#124 Edited by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Jrad said:

That would mean sub-replacement birth rates for many countries, creating more situations such as Japan, especially in the ones that lack immigration or another method of population growth.

#125 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I have come to the conclusion that this is the worst three ringed circus ever. I believe there are no less then three conversations going on, also asking people what pisses them off the most, only to have people start arguments with them, is just one flaw of the many flaws of this topic.

#126 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Digiwth said:

I lose my shit at anyone who is either pro-death penalty or anti-multiculturalism. Heaven help them if they're both.

Hahaha, it seems fucking mad to me in this day and age that such people still exist. At this stage, I just try to avoid it ever coming up...

#127 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

That's because there is only one correct answer.

#128 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Rreligion. They all fall from the same tree. Literally.

#129 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

Cake Vs. Pie

#130 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@jakob187: NO! You fool, we must not restart the wars.

#131 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Jrad said:

That would mean sub-replacement birth rates for many countries, creating more situations such as Japan, especially in the ones that lack immigration or another method of population growth.

well if we want to have the earth continue to be habitable we can't keep up with our current population growth...

#132 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

Obama's birth certificate.

#133 Posted by gtg12 (67 posts) -

@jerseyscum: lol

#134 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Digiwth said:

I am one of those but you'll never guess which.

Actually, you have already guessed and you are RIGHT!
#135 Edited by bananaz (256 posts) -

"Hey internet! I'm becoming a vegan! Wowee!" *Gets torn to pieces in seconds*

You'd think nutrition was a safe topic, but you'd be wrong.

But that cannot possibly compare to....*drumroll*....History. Yes, we actually cannot agree on whether stuff happened.

#136 Posted by Isaiah (174 posts) -

When I compared most Athiests to Baptists. Going on and on about their belief systems, I don't care about your religion or lack there of.