• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Hyperglide (149 posts) -

I figured I would start this thread to see what everyones listening to. Spread the word, share why you like the song you post, come on in and check out some new or old tunes you might not have heard otherwise from your peers. Music makes the world go around and seeing as there is no music sub-forum I figured the Off-topic board would be a good place to put this thread. Hopefully this will also help cut back on YouTube spam. This is popular thread at other boards. So time to get one started! Here's what I got going on currently.

His new album just hit and it bangs in the whip. Deep lyric's, consistently great groovy production and mad rhythm and flow.

Aesop Rocks new joint is tight too.

#2 Posted by believer258 (11816 posts) -

Right now? The sound of a window AC unit blowing in my room because the air conditioner broke.

But thanks to you I decided to go and listen to this fantastic old Underoath song. Seriously, it's hard to believe that they once had traces of black and death metal lacing their music.

#3 Edited by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Great song. For some reason can't stop listening to it.

From Rammstein's Best of Album. Good music to get you up in the morning....IF YOU KNOW WHAT IM SAYING. HAHAHAHA.

#4 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

The Prometheus soundtrack. Right now, but not when you read this, unless you read this around 5:59 PM PST, on Sunday, June 17, 2012.

#5 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I've recently gotten into pop music, especially the band The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, the music is funky, bubbly, and just plain feel-good, you can't help but be happy when listening, and I never get tired of it.

#6 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

I STAY NOIDED.

#7 Edited by ShaggE (6429 posts) -

I never should have written her off for all these years, thinking "Criminal" was an enjoyable but forgettable single. Fiona Apple is fucking amazing.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

I've recently gotten into pop music, especially the band The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, the music is funky, bubbly, and just plain feel-good, you can't help but be happy when listening, and I never get tired of it.

After listening to those vids(auds?), I'm not sure if I love it or I hate it. I'm tentatively leaning towards the former.

#9 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

@Ravenlight: Try these on for size, some of my favorites:

#10 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6297 posts) -

Whenever I see a thread like this I drop my current favorite song and then leave without listening to any of the previous suggestions.

#11 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

I recently got back into the Tron legacy soundtrack and that soundtrack is amazing, especially this song.

I've also got into Tenacious D's new album and here is the title track from said album. What do you dudes think of Tenacious D

Primarily these two albums along with whatever my ipod decides to serve me up on shuffle and a few other random songs and albums from suitably random artists.

#12 Posted by ShaggE (6429 posts) -

@Aronman789: Hey, that's that one song what's in that beer ad! Thought the name was familiar. Love that song.

#13 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@Everyones_A_Critic said:

Whenever I see a thread like this I drop my current favorite song and then leave without listening to any of the previous suggestions.

Thats exactly what everyone does for these threads.  I might comment on something Ive listened to before but thats about it.
#14 Posted by ShaggE (6429 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

Thats exactly what everyone does for these threads. I might comment on something Ive listened to before but thats about it.

I used to do that, but now I listen to at least a few. I've discovered some great stuff through these threads.

#15 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

Killer Mike's new album R.A.P. Music is one of the best rap albums of 2012 so far, that's what I have on rotation right now. If you thought an Atlanta rapper and a producer from NY joining forces would be a cool combination they you are right because that album is simply fantastic. Mike simply spits bar after bar without skipping a beat, and although the subject matter has been discussed before in rap music, the way he says it and the way if meshes so well with El-P's beats makes the album a joy to listen to from front to back.

The album starts off strong with gems like this and as it goes on the tone becomes more personal and Mike reveals more and more about his life and speaks on how rap music had such an impact on his life. The last two songs on the LP are simply beautiful. This album almost went under the radar and it's a real shame.

Seriously go and cop this album if you can. Longtime fans of Killer Mike will love it but it can also serve as a great introduction the the Atlanta rapper for people unfamiliar with his music. A strong 8/10.

#16 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -
#17 Posted by ShaggE (6429 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

@ShaggE: Yeah, that and Around The Bend are their most popular ones

Okay, I'm sold. I *really* like that song. Definitely not what I usually listen to, but neither is what I posted, so I guess I'm rebuilding my tastes somewhat as of recently.

#18 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

A German I met got me into Closure in Moscow, this is probably the song I listen to most of their's, gives me some mad Battlestar: Galactica vibes.

Also some Rammstein, which is always good;

#19 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Sounds of nature. Literally.

#20 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7079 posts) -

Drink the Sea by The Glitch Mob is one of the very best non-dubstep electronica albums in a decade. Such a fantastic album. And Drive has the best soundtrack of 2011. Also Jack White? I don't know, it doesn't fit here but man his new album is great.

#21 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

I'm a huge, unapologetic Andy Hull fan so I've been listening to the new Right Away, Great Captain! album nonstop since it dropped Tuesday. Here's my favorite song from it:

Other than that, just some summer jams:

aaaaand this

#22 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -
#23 Posted by wemibelec90 (1632 posts) -

Whatever pops up on my Pandora or the stuff in my iTunes (which isn't that diverse yet). Just picked up a cheap Regina Spektor album a few days ago (the new one) and the Tenacious D album when it came out.

#24 Edited by Takeda (7 posts) -

Haven't been able to get enough of these guys lately.

#25 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

A 24 hour look of the Enterprise engine idle noise. 

#26 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

What I'm currently listening to? Anything before the late 2000s, back when music was pure and awesome - not like the filth you hear from today's radio.

I listen to a mix of everything really. From George Michael to Metallica to Bob Dylan to Rammstein to Backstreet Boys to Megadeth, etc. It depends on my mood really but for the most part, I listen to a lot of 80s and 90s stuff. Currently, I'm listening to a lot of Beastie Boys. After the unfortunate passing of Adam "MCA" Yauch, I became obsessed with the band and the early Hip Hop era.

#27 Posted by pyromagnestir (4302 posts) -

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy The Primary Phase.

#28 Posted by mitchell486 (115 posts) -

It's stuck in my head.... Damn you weebl.

PS - A lot of those are good ones like Right Away Great Captain and Avett Brothers. And a few others. But this is the show stopper. Enjoy.

#29 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

I don't think his newest is as good as his past two albums, but no modern artist encapsulates the freeing sense of summer I feel the Tallest Man on Earth does.

Also, I'ma callin' this my summer jam.

#30 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Neon Indian makes some really good summer jams, and I've been digging this song for awhile.....The synths are great and Alan Palomo's dreamy vocals are just icing on the cake.

#31 Edited by Socialone (202 posts) -

I would've put some Radiohead in there but it's known stuff to most people.

#32 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

But don't we already have a thread for this?

#33 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@Socialone: And Arcade Fire isn't known stuff?

#34 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

I probably shouldn't be contributing to a thread like this, but oh well.

#35 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Recently I've been listening to a lot of hip hop instrumentals like 9th Wonder, Nujabes, J Dilla, Pete Rock etc. But also this guy who just released a mixtape and it's pretty good, has a really good 90s rap feel to it. Which is all I really listen to anyway and also underground / Instrumentals.

#36 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I have been on a massive Rammstein kick as of late, so currently.. "Te Quiero Puta!"

#37 Posted by Takeda (7 posts) -

@Socialone said:

I would've put some Radiohead in there but it's known stuff to most people.

Such an incredible album.

#38 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -

I am so into Dirty Beaches right now. True Blue is such a beautiful song.

#39 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

Killer Mike's new album R.A.P. Music is one of the best rap albums of 2012 so far, that's what I have on rotation right now. If you thought an Atlanta rapper and a producer from NY joining forces would be a cool combination they you are right because that album is simply fantastic. Mike simply spits bar after bar without skipping a beat, and although the subject matter has been discussed before in rap music, the way he says it and the way if meshes so well with El-P's beats makes the album a joy to listen to from front to back.

The album starts off strong with gems like this and as it goes on the tone becomes more personal and Mike reveals more and more about his life and speaks on how rap music had such an impact on his life. The last two songs on the LP are simply beautiful. This album almost went under the radar and it's a real shame.

Seriously go and cop this album if you can. Longtime fans of Killer Mike will love it but it can also serve as a great introduction the the Atlanta rapper for people unfamiliar with his music. A strong 8/10.

I've been listening to this a ton lately, I love it.

#40 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

@RobotHamster: sheeit is 1999 out already? Thanks for the reminder!

#41 Posted by Animasta (14677 posts) -

NO SHAME

okay mild amount of shame but whatever, it's basically been this and om - pilgrimage for the past two days

#42 Posted by Slay3r1583 (608 posts) -

Right now I'm listening to some Iced Earth.

#43 Posted by shinboy630 (1136 posts) -

@Slay3r1583: Iced Earth is awesome! Dystopia was probably my favorite album of last year.

Currently I'm listening to Rush's new album, Clockwork Angels. It's pretty solid.

#44 Posted by Hunter5024 (5640 posts) -

@Animasta said:

NO SHAME

okay mild amount of shame but whatever, it's basically been this and om - pilgrimage for the past two days

Well NOW I'm listening to this. This reminds me of my gay brother, watching this when he was ten. In hindsight I don't know why the homosexuality was such a shock to everyone...

#45 Posted by downtime58 (224 posts) -

I've been listening to this band a ton - I love the new Heavy Metal-esque video. Be warned, kinda NSFW.

#46 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Can't...Get...Out of..Head. Not that that's a bad thing, Choucho's music is usually pretty awesome.

#47 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

A Japanese woman recite Alice in Wonderland?

#48 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@BraveToaster

But don't we already have a thread for this?

Shhhh
#49 Posted by erichr (58 posts) -

After reading through the thread it seems that electronic music isn't the most popular thing on GB, but here's three songs I've been listening to a lot. The bottom two are are more laid back house/trance songs from the late 90s, while the top one is a bit more ravey and from the same era.

And I agree with the previous poster who mentioned Drive, that soundtrack is indeed phenomenal.

#50 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -