Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) 1 year, 7 months ago

Poll: What are your favorite Hayao Miyazaki films? (106 votes)

Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro 2%
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 12%
Castle in the Sky 6%
My Neighbor Totoro 5%
Kiki's Delivery Service 4%
Only Yesterday 0%
Porco Rosso 3%
Pom Poko 0%
Whisper of the Heart 1%
On Your Mark 0%
Princess Mononoke 25%
Spirited Away 25%
Whale Hunt 0%
Koro's Big Day Out 0%
Mei and the Kittenbus 0%
Imaginary Flying Machines 0%
The Cat Returns 0%
Howl's Moving Castle 4%
Monmon the Water Spider 0%
House-hunting 0%
The Day I Harvested a Planet 0%
Tales from Earthsea 0%
Ponyo 1%
Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess 0%
The Secret World of Arrietty 1%
From Up on Poppy Hill 1%
All of the Above 6%
None of the Above 6%
I'm waiting for a future release of "The Wind is Rising", which I know will be good! 1%
#1 Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

I forgot to make it multiple choice, but I believe that it's ok the way it is. My vote goes to Princess Mononoke.

#2 Edited by D_Bones (368 posts) -

Voted for Howl's cause it is my fave. But a few of these are not Miyazaki at all just letting you know duder.

#3 Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

@d_bones: I went by this list on Wikipedia, so I actually didn't know that a few of them weren't his. I liked Howl's Moving Castle too.

#4 Posted by D_Bones (368 posts) -

yeah it's understandable I just typically call the Miyazaki movies the ones he directed himself. He's a big influence in everything over at Ghibli though so it's not a huge deal. Out of non-directed Miyazaki movies on this list would go with cat returns but his actual directed efforts are the cream of the crop so for me it would go; Howl, Spirited Away, Mononoke as top 3.

#5 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

My top 3 would be Spirited Away, Howl's and Totoro.

I love Princess Mononoke, but it goes on for what feel like an eternity.

And although not from Miyazaki, Grave of the Fireflies gets the award for most depressing / upsetting animated film, ever.

#6 Posted by Redbullet685 (6065 posts) -

I've seen few (though I want to see more) but I picked Princess Mononoke since that is quite an incredible film.

#7 Edited by Daneian (1251 posts) -

Man, I love so many! Castle of Coglisostro, Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke. Like, I still regularly watch them and they've been huge influences on me.

EDIT: The Cat Returns isn't even a Hayao Miyazaki film and Tales From Earthsea was written and directed by his son Goro.

#8 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3081 posts) -

Mononoke because it's darker and more violent than most of his others. Spirited Away is a close second.

#9 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

Princess Mononoke. You doing some sort of experiment or something with all these movie polls?

#10 Edited by i_got_an_F (25 posts) -

Mononoke was my first and will always be my favorite but I've learned to equally love Spirited Away.

#11 Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

Princess Mononoke. You doing some sort of experiment or something with all these movie polls?

Not really. I'm just really passionate about particular movie companies that continue to produce great movies that people love, and sort of want to inspire some people to watch a movie! Also, I'm bored and I'm trying to keep my mind off of stressful things.

#12 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Castle in the sky.

SHEEEEEEETAAAAAAAAAA!!

#13 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Kiki's Delivery Service is perfection

#14 Edited by EVO (3929 posts) -

<p>Spirited Away is one of my favorite films of all time. It's what got me into Studio Ghibli and from what I've seen I still think it's their best. Last time I watched it I was on shrooms and it was magical.</p>

#15 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4467 posts) -

Used to be Spirited Away but then I saw Nausicaa.

#16 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

Whisper of the Heart, gimme that melancholy.

#17 Edited by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

Why can I only pick one? :(

#18 Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

Why can I only pick one? :(

Sorry about that. Just list them since you have more than one favorite. =-)

#19 Edited by BulimicBalzac (93 posts) -

Wait is the Lupin the Third movie about the heist at not-Hitlers castle... IF so I have thrown away a vote...

#20 Edited by Turambar (6843 posts) -

Nausicaa. Not the best, but definitely my favorite.

#21 Posted by Pr1mus (3959 posts) -

I haven't seen a single one of them. I should probably fix that.

I only know three of them by name. Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away. I suppose i'll start with those.

#22 Edited by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

In order:

1. Nausicaa
  2. My Neighbor Totoro
  3. Spirited Away
  4. Howl's Moving Castle
  5. Pom Poko
  6. Princess Mononoke
  7. Kiki's Delivery Service
  8. Porco Rosso
  9. Castle in the Sky
  10. Ponyo
  11. The Cat Returns
  12. Tales from Earthsea

I still need to see Grave of the Fireflies, Whisper of the Heart, and My Neighbors the Yamadas. I guess I also need to see Arrietty, even though I don't really have any interest in it.

#23 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Spirited Away. Still in my top three all time favorite movies.

#24 Edited by Daveyo520 (6924 posts) -

Spirited Away is pretty good and so is Princess Mononoke and the rest.

#25 Edited by Robot_Sneakers (418 posts) -

Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite, followed by Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro. But they're all great movies, these three are the ones I can watch multiple times though and enjoy them every time.

#26 Posted by EXTomar (4916 posts) -

I always have a spot in my heart for Castle Cagliostro but Laputa feels technically more advanced. Really though all of the movies on that list are fine.

#27 Posted by bassman2112 (850 posts) -

Nausicaa will always be my favorite, I absolutely, thoroughly adore that movie.

After that, in no order, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky all tied, and then Princess Mononoke. Those are the favorites, though I do love all of them =)

#28 Posted by RPGee (763 posts) -

My Neighbour Totoro's not winning?

You people are all stone-hearted.

#29 Edited by Itwongo (1231 posts) -

All the one's I've seen I've loved. There's no way I can choose a specific one, so I just picked the one I saw last. (which was actually directed by Goro Miyazaki. Script was written in part by Hayao, though, so whatever.)

#30 Posted by Hunter5024 (5893 posts) -

Nausicaa by a lot. I also really love Howl's Moving Castle, not sure why that one doesn't get so much love.

#31 Edited by Tarsier (1076 posts) -

i picked all of the above because it wouldnt let me pick multiples.

but my actual favorites are howls moving castle, spirited away, ponyo and princess mononoke.

#32 Posted by ichthy (572 posts) -

Mononoke and Spirited Away, but I also love Porco Rosso and Nausicaa.

Also fuck Earthsea. It's the Cars 2 of Ghibli movies.

#33 Posted by Wraith1 (572 posts) -

Princess Mononoke was the first Miyazaki film I saw so I'll vote for that one

#34 Posted by HarlechQuinn (450 posts) -
@rpgee said:

My Neighbour Totoro's not winning?

You people are all stone-hearted.

I second this.

Other favourites would be Spirited Away, Nausicaä, Castle in the Sky, Lupin the 3rd & Porco Rosso.

#35 Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

All this love towards Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind makes me want to watch it. I had no idea that so many people liked that movie.

#36 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Look at all these movies I've never heard of

#37 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Favorite Studio Ghibli film? Princess Mononoke without a doubt, though I heard Naausica is amazing and I haven't seen it yet. Howl is a close second for me but the ending (much like mononoke) is rushed but even moreso than in Mononoke.

Anyway, favorite Miyazaki film? Castle of Cagliostro, love me some Lupin III

#38 Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) -
#39 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5899 posts) -

Porco Rosso and Castle in the Sky are my favorites.

#40 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@officegamer: You're missing out.

I can barely keep up with the American cinema and I'm watching movies everyday :(

#41 Edited by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

@tireyo643 said:

@officegamer: You're missing out.

I can barely keep up with the American cinema and I'm watching movies everyday :(

I can't keep up either, but that can't be an excuse to try just one of his movies! =-)

#42 Posted by Reisz (1522 posts) -

God damn it, didn't realise it wasn't multiple choice so my pick registered as Ponyo. Castle of Cagliostro would be my actual choice. All day long.

#43 Edited by Raven10 (1886 posts) -

The only Studio Ghibli films I don't like are Tales of Earthsea and My Neighbor the Yamadas. The former is just a bad movie. The latter I feel is just lost on an American with little understanding of Japanese culture and home life. I kind of have a similar feeling about all of Isao Takahata's films honestly. Grave of the Fireflies is obviously incredible and I enjoyed Only Yesterday although I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I was Japanese. Likewise Pom Poko was enjoyable but a lot of the references were lost on me. Going back before Ghibli, I enjoyed Chie The Brat, but again felt a bit lost at times. I haven't seen his other early films like Go Panda Go and Gucci The Cellist.

As far as Miyazaki's films go, my favorite by far is Nausicaa. My other top choices would be Howl's Moving Castle, Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Castle In The Sky. I also thought Ponyo was adorable. That film melted my jaded heart. Kiki and Porco Rosso are my least favorites but they are still far better than what most anyone else in anime is doing.

Finally the non Miyazaki and Takahata films. I thought Whisper of the Heart was great. It was a sad day when the director died before being able to do any other films. And I thought The Cat Returns was pretty cool as well although I felt like the character design was not that great compared to the rest of Ghibli's movies. And Arriety was stunning. The story was good. It was a minor Ghibli film, but for a man who had never directed a film before, I felt it was a great debut. Poppy Hill has not been released on DVD yet in the US so I haven't seen that. And Ocean Waves can only be seen during one of GKids Ghibli marathons which only come to very select theaters.

Oh and the shorts you listed are mostly only shown in the Ghibli Museum, so unless someone among us have been there then no one will have seen them. Which is a shame because some of them are supposed to be great.

#44 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

Spirited Away was pure goddamn movie magic. Fucking love it.

Recently saw Up on Poppy Hill and thought it was suuuuuuuuuper slight.

#45 Edited by Jeust (10807 posts) -

Howl's Moving Castle

#46 Edited by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Laputa, bitch

Edit

I really loved Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Of course there are movies like Howls Moving Castle and Totoro that I watched as a kid but I cant say that theyre my absolute favourite even though theyre dear to my heart.

Other than those movies, I havent watched the rest of them except for the raccoon one, Kiki's Delivery Service and Ponyo (which is pretty shitty in all honesty)

#47 Edited by Silver-Streak (1375 posts) -

So I was going to vote in the poll, but I'm a bit confused. Looking at Tireyo643's posts, a good majority are "What x do you like" with a ton of known properties.

Going back as far as the system allows, alot of them look to be this. I do not believe Tireyo to be some sort of bot as they have posted serious and legitimate posts. But this seems to be a pattern.

So I guess my question is: Are you aggregating data for some reason? Do you work for a marketing firm?

(I'm not asking if you're doing something malicious, as they're all in off-topic and non-offensive. I'm just curious, and I'm of the belief that if marketing firms were more upfront with their queries rather than trying to astroturf stuff they'd have better results)