• 97 results
#1 Edited by Animasta (14697 posts) -

Someone can make one of these about movies if you want but the only new movie I watched was Spring Breakers. Which I love with all my heart, but a list of one is never fun. I have, however, been watching lots of TV (because my premium sub ran out mostly) so I figured I would make this topic, so everyone can gush about Breaking Bad or whatever it is you people do.

I'm not listing mine in order, but you can if you want!

Arrow:

This show is so good. Great action, a fast moving plot, some great actors, great salmon ladders... Also everyone on the show is really hot (which is always a plus).

The Genius

It's a korean game show that involves a group of 13... celebrities, I guess, play mind games and engage in game theory against each other. It's awesome, most of them are really smart and really tricky, and it makes for invigorating TV. The company broadcasting it have been aggressively taking shit down off youtube and stuff so it's not as easy to watch, but if you find it it's a treat and a half.

Plus it has professional starcraftsmen (first season has YellOw, the second brought him back and brought in his rival, Boxer) if you're into that. Also if you really like the song Extreme Ways by Moby, because they play that song like twice an episode at least.

Brooklyn Nine Nine

I don't watch lots of comedies, but I watched this one because... I don't know. AV club said it was really good, and they were right; pretty much everyone on the show is funny. the writing is fantastic, every character is played realistically and none of them are the butt of all the jokes (well okay Hitchcock and Scully are but whatever). Terry Crews and Andre Braugher probably the best ones on there, but they're all really great.

Sleepy Hollow

Okay, this show is really ridiculous, but it knows that. It's about Ichabod Crane, who gets trapped in a box for 230 years, gets woken up and is told to stop the apocalypse in our time because the headless horseman is actually one of the four horsemen and he had machine guns and his wife is a witch and she's stuck in purgatory and washington's bible is A Thing and even more crazy bullshit. It's a fun show to watch and the actor who plays Crane is really really good.

Pretty Little Liars

EZRA IS A THEY FINALLY MADE THE TEACHER STUDENT ROMANCE WORTHWHILE AND CREEPY LIKE IT ALWAYS SHOULD BE

okay so what are some of yours?

#2 Edited by Aegon (5654 posts) -

Uh...Breaking Bad.

Also Spring Breakers is very bad...and not even the good kind of bad. It's just boring and pointless (spring breeeeeaak).

Other TV shows:

• Game of Thrones
  • Veep
  • Wilfred
  • Sherlock
  • Utopia

Some on the second tier are Mad Men, Homeland (might move up, the season hasn't finished yet), Walking Dead and Eastbound & Down.

#3 Edited by Coafi (1489 posts) -
  • Arrow
  • Orange is the New Black
  • American Horror Story: Coven
  • Misfits
#4 Posted by Jacktrote (58 posts) -

Are we talking about shows that premiered this year? Are those all newnew shows? Holy shit.

The LATEST shows I like and/or know of are from 2+ years ago, man o.o

#5 Edited by Animasta (14697 posts) -

@coafi: I'm also watching Coven but I couldn't honestly place it on my list because it's kind of a goddamn mess. It's an enjoyable mess, but still.

@aegon I didn't call Spring Breakers good you know! I just love it. Also let's save this discussion until someone makes a movie thread

@jacktrote not necessarily (pretty little liars is on the 4th season, arrow is on it's 2nd)

#6 Posted by Aegon (5654 posts) -

@animasta: It's fine. Just stating my opinion. Not really willing to argue / discuss it, lol.

#7 Posted by Atlas (2449 posts) -

I really liked this year's season of The Newsroom, but Game of Thrones was still my favourite show this year, even though I had some misgivings about it. I really need to watch Breaking Bad, though; I've only seen up to Season Two.

#8 Edited by Animasta (14697 posts) -

thanks to whatever mod made my topic title more clear, for some reason I was drawing a blank on a better title :(

#9 Posted by BigJeffrey (5021 posts) -
  1. Mad Men (Best Show On TV)
  2. Breaking Bad
  3. Community
  4. Game Of Thrones (Wiener Wiener)
  5. American Horror Story (it's alright, and it's pretty freaky)

#10 Edited by SunBroZak (1136 posts) -

I'll avoid the spoiler-y gifs, but you get the point.

#11 Posted by Nev (551 posts) -

I... don't think I watched any new television this year... (Didn't watch any movies either, but that's fairly normal for me.) Does watching a ton of The X-Files count? I did watch it in 2013!

I'll give love to Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, though. I'm behind on them for this years stuff, but they're excellent.

#12 Edited by wjb (1665 posts) -
  • Justified
  • Girls
  • Veep
  • Mad Men
  • Game of Thrones
  • Breaking Bad
  • Parks and Recreation

Four episodes into Boardwalk Empire; haven't started this season's Homeland and Eastbound and Down

I also watched Castle, Arrested Development, Community, and Luther, but I wasn't too hot on either of those seasons.

The two shows I was somewhat interested in were The Americans and Hannibal, but I might wait a few seasons to get into them. I hate starting shows from the beginning (looking at you The Walking Dead and Heroes).

#13 Posted by Coafi (1489 posts) -

I don't get the love for Breaking Bad, I tried to watch and I got bored really fast.

@animasta said:

@coafi: I'm also watching Coven but I couldn't honestly place it on my list because it's kind of a goddamn mess. It's an enjoyable mess, but still.

I agree. It started out strong and now it's juggling too much stuff and it's starting to loose its focus. I still think S1 was the best, even if the main characters' actors were not the best.

#14 Posted by Shaunage (712 posts) -

I don't even watch TV, but I'm here to defend Spring Breakers.

Spring Breeeeeeeak.

#15 Posted by Rorie (2930 posts) -

I got caught up on Arrow and really liked it. Need to check out Hannibal, because I hear good things about it.

Staff
#16 Posted by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

Orange is the New Black is the best show to start this year. Mad Men is still the best show on television

#17 Posted by onyxghost (309 posts) -

Me and the wife finally watched Fringe. It was fantastic can't recommend it enough

#18 Posted by Andorski (5330 posts) -

No one is digging Almost Human? The banter between Urban and Ealy is great, and their use of 80/90's action movie tropes in a sci-fi setting has made for some very entertaining television.

Also the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary episode makes up for the lackluster 7B series.

#19 Edited by csl316 (8755 posts) -

Well, aside from Breaking Bad and the usual, I have a confession to make.

I like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Lots of stuff I want to get into, though. Sleepy Hollow, Almost Human, and I gotta get started on this season of Homeland.

Also, one of my favorite shows is Dexter. But after a hell of a season 7, good lord, man...

#20 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

As of this year?

• It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  • Modern Family
  • Psych
  • The Walking Dead
#21 Posted by Disaya (290 posts) -

Not in order but

• Hannibal
  • Breaking Bad
  • Grimm
  • Sleepy Hollow
  • American Horror Story:coven
  • Misfits

I would also say Dr. Who but I'm so behind on it. I don't know if I say it goes on my favorite list but I am enjoying the Mindy project every once in a while too, so yeah.

#22 Edited by TheHT (11362 posts) -
  1. Game of Thrones
  2. Breaking Bad
  3. Mad Men
  4. Boardwalk Empire
  5. Top of the Lake

That just latest seasons though. If we include the other series I happened to watch this year, Avatar would take the #1 spot. It's really fuckin good.

Unfortunately this season of Game of Thrones was the season of big spoilers. Jaime's whole thing was spoiled while looking through discussions back during season 2, and the Red Wedding was spoiled earlier that same night from a thread here hyping up what we were about to see that very night. Ugh.

Only 2 more big spoilers to get through. The first I accidentally saw back when I naively thought looking through the Song of Ice and Fire wiki was a good idea, back in season 1. The second from googling to check the correct spelling for a character's name and the spoiler being the first result. Then no more fucking searching for or reading anything suspect about Game of Thrones.

Oh, and I liked what I saw of Mob City.

#23 Posted by Dracomaster01 (76 posts) -
  • Breaking Bad
  • Supernatural
  • Game of Thrones
  • Dr.Who
  • American Horror Story:Coven
#24 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@theht said:
  1. Game of Thrones
  2. Breaking Bad
  3. Mad Men
  4. Boardwalk Empire
  5. Top of the Lake

That just latest seasons though. If we include the other series I happened to watch this year, Avatar would take the #1 spot. It's really fuckin good.

Unfortunately this season of Game of Thrones was the season of big spoilers. Jaime's whole thing was spoiled while looking through discussions back during season 2, and the Red Wedding was spoiled earlier that same night from a thread here hyping up what we were about to see that very night. Ugh.

Only 2 more big spoilers to get through. The first I accidentally saw back when I naively thought looking through the Song of Ice and Fire wiki was a good idea, back in season 1. The second from googling to check the correct spelling for a character's name and the spoiler being the first result. Then no more fucking searching for or reading anything suspect about Game of Thrones.

Oh, and I liked what I saw of Mob City.

Everything this duder said plus An American Horror Story.

Some people like Sons of Anarchy too but I can't get into it.

#25 Edited by PimblyCharles (1474 posts) -

@aegon said:

Uh...Breaking Bad.

Also Spring Breakers is very bad...and not even the good kind of bad. It's just boring and pointless (spring breeeeeaak).

Other TV shows:

• Game of Thrones
  • Veep
  • Wilfred
  • Sherlock
  • Utopia

Some on the second tier are Mad Men, Homeland (might move up, the season hasn't finished yet), Walking Dead and Eastbound & Down.

I fucking love Wilfred and Utopia. Wilfred is one of the smarter TV shows out there and is great to watch hunked up. Utopia came out of left field for me and damn that intro music... sooo good. Neil Maskell's character was so well done.

Some others I rather enjoyed this year:

-Eastbound & Down (FUCKING AMAZING SHOW)

-Game of Thrones

-New Girl

-American Horror Story: Coven

-Raising Hope

-South Park

#26 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: Mad Men better than Boardwalk AND Thrones?

That's a bold statement Mr. Jeffrey

#27 Posted by SMTDante89 (2582 posts) -

... Adventure Time and Regular Show. I don't watch nearly as much television as I used to.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1044 posts) -

after two episodes Mob City

#29 Edited by benspyda (2035 posts) -

Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and Legend of Korra are about all that I enjoyed/enjoying this year. Dexter was a giant disappointment and Game of Thrones continues to be Game of Thrones. But man, Breaking Bad was so damn good it makes up for it tenfold.

EDIT:Oh yea and the second half of season 7 of Doctor Who was way better than the first half.

#30 Edited by Encephalon (1266 posts) -
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Breaking Bad
  • Game of Thrones

I don't think I watched any other television this year except Korra, which was bad. But then my tastes are probably somewhat narrow--I don't seek out comedy at all, and no longer have the patience for a 20+ episode season.

#31 Edited by leinad44 (517 posts) -

Hannibal is my favourite new TV show this year, it is fantastic. It has a great cast, most notably the two leads, Hugh Dancy as Will Graham and Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal. Will Graham in this version is far more unstable, which leads to some great sequences where he has to question his sanity. Mikkelsen plays Hannibal in a very different way than Anthony Hopkins did in the movies, this Hannibal is a lot more subtle and restrained, yet he is still incredibly charming.

I cannot recommend this show enough.

One warning though, it might be the goriest thing that I have seen on television

#32 Edited by Animasta (14697 posts) -

... Adventure Time and Regular Show. I don't watch nearly as much television as I used to.

oh man I didn't say any cartoons, but Adventure Time and Scooby Doo: Mystery Unleashed (the last episodes were released this year) were also amazing

#33 Posted by Nightriff (5096 posts) -

I haven't watched anything new this year, mainly catching up on shows, just waiting for Homeland Season 3

#34 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4824 posts) -

best new shows of 2013? Hrm.

Sleepy Hollow for sure. Brooklyn Nine-Nine isn't the greatest comedy but it has had some hilarious moments. I'll keep my eye on those two when they return after winter break.

As far as other pilots and what not; I'm kind of disappointed in 2013. Two shows out of a bajillion pilots managed to be good. That's odd. I almost want to throw Almost Human up there but it's very hit or miss right now. When the show is firing on all cylinders it's a fun genre show; but the lackluster episodes really hurt. They're barely kept afloat by the chemistry between the two leads.

#35 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1677 posts) -

I very much enjoyed the first season of Orphan Black (after two or three kind of aimless episodes.) I think it could become a big deal over the next few years if they give people more ways to watch it.

#36 Edited by 8BitAvrin (17 posts) -
  • Game of Thrones
  • Arrow
  • New Girl
  • Almost Human
  • Revolution
  • Falling Skies

I cut cable a while ago, but thanks to Hulu Plus & Amazon Prime I can watch TV on my own crazy schedule and save money.

Most disappointing show…..Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. Haven't seen the last few episodes though….

#37 Edited by Jachin (43 posts) -

• Orange Is the New Black - This took me by surprise. Best new show of the year easily.
  • Bob's Burgers - It gets better and better.
  • Breaking Bad - It stuck the landing beautifully.
  • Parks and Recreation - Its showing its age for sure, but its still my favorite comedy. I love all the character too much.
  • Arrested Development - A lot of people were down on this season, but I really enjoyed it.
  • American Dad - Continues to be very funny, and continues to be largely ignored.
  • Comedy Bang! Bang! - Much better than the first season which was already great.
  • Nathan For You - This show is so funny. Just go watch it.

I didn't catch up with a lot of dramas this season. I hope to do that... someday.

#38 Posted by geirr (2581 posts) -
  1. South Park
  2. Orange is the New Black

Haven't watched anything else really beyond older shows on Netflix.

#39 Posted by BisonHero (6564 posts) -

Not fucking Season 4 of Arrested Development, that's for sure. I get physically angry whenever I read glowing reviews of that season. I guess on some technical level it took a lot of planning to make a weird, interconnected bunch of short stories like that, but it's a terrible, incomprehensible viewing experience. The new running bits were mostly bad, and they bring back old bits that they don't even earn (they randomly play the Mr. F jingle for basically no reason). The whole show just doesn't work when each episode can't focus on Michael being the straight man relative to his ridiculous family. And I don't buy Michael as a producer, and he's kind of a huge asshole throughout the season for no reason. Plus the season ends abruptly, and it's not even a particularly good cliffhanger, and you don't even know what is happening with most of the character subplots besides Michael, George Michael, and Buster.

#40 Posted by Jachin (43 posts) -

@bisonhero Thanks for sharing your favorite shows. Interesting picks!

#41 Posted by ShaggE (6472 posts) -

Always Sunny had a great year, Key & Peele is amazing as always, and Breaking Bad goes without saying... umm... that's about it on "current" shows, I guess. I'm saving Coven for a binge watch at the end of the season. Same with Adventure Time.

I watched the entirety of Buffy for the first time this year, so that definitely deserves a spot. Also goes for the 99.8% of Angel I've watched (I keep holding off on those last few eps).

Orange Is The New Black is on my to-watch list, as well as The Sopranos. I'm sure I'll love them both.

Shame o' the Year goes to Dexter, easily.

#42 Posted by Animasta (14697 posts) -

I very much enjoyed the first season of Orphan Black (after two or three kind of aimless episodes.) I think it could become a big deal over the next few years if they give people more ways to watch it.

I forgot this too I'm so dumb :(

#43 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11791 posts) -

@bisonhero: I thought season 4 of Arrested Development was pretty great for a revival of something that was cancelled 8 years ago and suffered from unrealistic expectations. So there.

Also, people still watch television? I watched just enough of that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show to know that I didn't need to watch anymore.

#44 Posted by BisonHero (6564 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: I mean, yeah, it's about the quality drop I expected after so much time has passed and the original run was such a high watermark. But I've literally read reviews that are like "But instead of seeming like an after-the-fact revival, it manages to be the best season of AD yet!", while I'm yelling "No, it's exactly like an afterthought revival special, where none of the chemistry is there and they're leaning desperately on all the running gags from the original run".

I bitch because I really wanted to like it, even though it was never going to have the same budget as the original run because having an ensemble cast of well known comedic actors is exorbitantly expensive. I mean, it would've been the same way if like, Syfy/Sci-Fi Channel had somehow picked up Firefly after Fox cancelled it. But even unrelated to budget issues, I just didn't like how they tried to out-crazy Season 3, a season which was already them going "Fuck it, we're basically canceled, let's just get completely silly while we rapidly resolve all the plot lines".

#45 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1677 posts) -

Not fucking Season 4 of Arrested Development, that's for sure. I get physically angry whenever I read glowing reviews of that season. I guess on some technical level it took a lot of planning to make a weird, interconnected bunch of short stories like that, but it's a terrible, incomprehensible viewing experience. The new running bits were mostly bad, and they bring back old bits that they don't even earn (they randomly play the Mr. F jingle for basically no reason). The whole show just doesn't work when each episode can't focus on Michael being the straight man relative to his ridiculous family. And I don't buy Michael as a producer, and he's kind of a huge asshole throughout the season for no reason. Plus the season ends abruptly, and it's not even a particularly good cliffhanger, and you don't even know what is happening with most of the character subplots besides Michael, George Michael, and Buster.

I'll say this. At first I absolutely hated it, by the end I thought it was okay, and on a second viewing I liked it. But yeah, it's in spite of some pretty big problems. The jokes weren't funny enough, scenes dragged on too long, and all the Hollywood inside-baseball stuff was just too much. Still, I found myself obsessing over all the points where the plot lines intersect and the unanswered questions. Who was in the Thing costume?!

#46 Posted by DonChipotle (2768 posts) -

Utopia and Orphan Black

Nothing else mattered.

#47 Edited by BoOzak (934 posts) -

This year's been kind of a blur honestly so i'll put question marks next to series i'm not quite sure aired this year, but probably did.

• Breaking Bad
  • Boardwalk Empire
  • Justified?
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • Game of Thrones?
  • Mad Men?

I also watched the last season of Dexter which was a disecration of a once good show. I'm currently watching AHS: Coven and Homeland which have both seen better days, but are entertaining enough to keep watching. I'm still not quite sure whether i've liked the current season of The Walking Dead. It's had a lot of ups and downs as usual. But I will say that was one hell of a mid-season finale. (it still pisses me off that that's a thing, fucking AMC)

#48 Edited by LiquidPrince (15962 posts) -
  • Arrow
  • The Walking Dead
  • Game of Thrones
  • Marvel's Agents of Shield
#49 Edited by Animasta (14697 posts) -

okay the Arrow midseason finale probably makes it my favorite TV show of 2013

#50 Edited by afabs515 (1103 posts) -

I only watched Breaking Bad this year and have no regrets.

EDIT: Oh, and Game of Thrones. Funny how easily I forget that sometimes.