• 97 results
#51 Posted by ZolRoyce (627 posts) -

Some others I rather enjoyed this year:

-Eastbound & Down (FUCKING AMAZING SHOW)

The finale of that show was aaaamaaaaaaaaazzzzziiiiiiiiing.

I always forgot what shows I like.
A lot of them are repeats of what people have been mentioning, I'll throw some love Bobs Burgers way, take one of the creators of Home Movies and then give the guy an amazing list of actors/voice actors, how could it not turn out great? So god damn great.

I got into Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex, both of which I am fearful for as when I mention them I tend to get a reaction of "What is even that? Never heard of them." So fingers crossed they get at least a few seasons under their belts.

I'm not normally into gangster type of stuff, the Godfathers and the like, but Boardwalk Empire is just so good, I find myself getting confused sometimes trying to keep up with who belongs with what faction and who hates who and all of that stuff sometimes but still love it.

And although they are only 3 episodes in so far, I'm digging Getting on and of course Ja'mie on HBO right now, Chris Lilley has been proving himself as someone who can do no wrong so far.

#52 Posted by PimblyCharles (1313 posts) -

@zolroyce: Yeah that finale was amazing. I'm real glad that Jody Hill was able to do another season of Eastbound & Down. It was so well done and having Sacha Baron Cohen on the finale was perfect.

I forgot to add Boardwalk Empire on my list. Thanks for reminding me of that show (I watch too many damn shows to remember them all). Boardwalk Empire is a masterpiece. It's amazing how they manage to keep it so damn interesting and fresh. The sets must take forever to create; they're so well done. I think Rome on HBO is possibly the best TV will ever offer, so I don't mean it lightly when I think Boardwalk Empire is right up there as well.

#53 Posted by ILikePopCans (745 posts) -

I don't watch American TV anymore so the only show I watched is Brooklyn Nine Nine. I think Chelsea Peretti is insufferable but every one else is really good.

#54 Posted by MormonWarrior (2541 posts) -

Season 4 of Justified was pretty great. I think they started a new season of TMNT? I haven't seen any of Season 2. Too busy finishing school, etc. etc.

But really I just don't watch much television. I have been watching a fair bit of TNG and Avatar on Amazon Prime lately though for the first time. I'd recommend both.

#55 Posted by CornBREDX (4790 posts) -

Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Community (assuming its still on), and I cant think of anything else right now.

#56 Edited by bigjeffrey (4774 posts) -

@cornbredx: community season 5 starts next month.

#57 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Vikings

Game of Thrones

Arrow

Almost Human

Spartacus: War of the Damned

Daily Show / Colbert Report

Sleepy Hollow

#58 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

I mean it's the obvious answer, but come on, Breaking Bad was amazing.

#59 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -
  • House of Cards
  • Game of Thrones
  • Vikings
#60 Posted by Tatsuyarr (62 posts) -

This is really easy to answer:

• Orange is the new black
  • Masters of sex
#61 Posted by kagato (893 posts) -

I watch a bunch of things, mostly stuff no one else likes though:

• Game of Thrones
  • Once Upon a Time
  • The Walking Dead
  • Grim
  • Agents of Shield
  • Arrow
  • New Girl
  • Defiance
  • How I met your Mother

Im sure there are more but thats all that comes to mind just now

#62 Edited by 49th (2687 posts) -

Utopia was cool and intriguing. Arrow, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead have all been great.

I really enjoyed House of Cards too. It's not the kind of show I would typically watch but Kevin Spacey plays such a great character.

Also, new Homeland. It started out slow but it's starting to get really exciting now. Lots of spy stuff.

#63 Posted by McLargepants (359 posts) -
  • Mad Men is the best thing on TV now, maybe ever
  • Breaking Bad had an amazing close to an amazing run
  • Justified is the most fun to be had on TV right now
  • Orange is the New Black is the best new show this year, and compares favorably to most other shows, period
  • Girls is some of the most intimate work you'll see on TV and shouldn't be missed
  • The Americans also had a very strong debut this year
#64 Posted by WesleyWyndam (145 posts) -

Arrow
Tomorrow People
The Originals
New Girl
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
It's Always Sunny
Parks and Rec
The Goldbergs
Fringe (It ended in 2013)
Psych
Being Human
Game of Thrones
Happy Endings
So You Think You Can Dance

#65 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

I'll say this as the only person on Giant Bomb

• Treme

Love that shit man. Gotta play that 'bone. I guess Breaking Bad also ended, and Game of Thrones continued.

#66 Edited by MetalBaofu (1348 posts) -

First ones that popped in my head were, Arrow, Person of Interest, Justified and Supernatural.

#67 Edited by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

My top 3 is probably Justified, Game of Thrones, and Orange is the New Black. A lot of new shows this year that I need to get to. Hannibal, Masters of Sex, The Returned to name a few.

Oh, and how could I forget Treme. Season's not over yet but I'm sure that'll be near the top of my list as well. Sad to see that show go.

#68 Edited by Ryanmc94 (60 posts) -
  • American Horror Story: Coven
  • Breaking Bad
  • Community (Season 4 was rubbish but I've rewatched 1-3 umpteenth times this year)
  • Doctor Who
  • Game of Thrones
  • South Park (17 seasons and still strong as ever)
  • The Walking Dead

I've just started Masters of Sex too. I'm really into it but have struggled to find time to sit down and give it a proper go. Perhaps this weekend!

#69 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1692 posts) -

I've just started watching Breaking Bad this year but it has already become one of my favorite shows of all time. I regret not having watching it when it originally started because I always thought it looked interesting. It's nice being able to watch however much I want at my leisure though. I just started season 5.

The only brand new show I think I've watched this year is Almost Human, which I really like. I just wish it had a serialized format and wasn't basically CSI in the future.

The newest Always Sunny season had some amazing episodes, as does the new South Park season. The Walking Dead only had a few truly interesting ones, including that amazing mid-season finale. Supernatural only just started to get real good with its mid-season finale, too. That show has been playing it safe for way too long so it's nice to see some bad shit actually happen. I don't really watch that much TV besides those and the usual Daily Show, Colbert, and Conan from week to week.

#70 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5217 posts) -

I really haven't watched a lot of current tv this year, but the ones I have and enjoyed were...

• The Walking Dead (Is it okay to like that show again? I thought season 3 was all right.)
  • Attack on Titan ( I started watching a few anime again because of this show in particular. I really enjoyed it. Waiting for the inevitable second season next year is going to be rough for me.)
  • Community ( It wasn't the greatest throughout season 4, but I found it enjoyable enough.)
  • Arrested Development (This is the second revival of sorts this year counting community, and like community I thought the show wasn't as great as the seasons prior, but still enjoyable.)
  • Parks and Recreation
  • Bob's burgers

I really need to get around to watching Breaking Bad and Mad men. I've held off for so long and I don't know why. I think I've just been saving them for a time when there's nothing else to watch.

#71 Edited by MEATBALL (3057 posts) -

I haven't been watching a whole bunch of stuff, but Game of Thrones was great this year and Arrow has kept up the amazing quality from the last third of the first season (though I'm a little unsure of the fact superpowers are inching their way in, the world they'd established was working really well without it). Marvel's Agents of SHIELD has been much maligned but I've enjoyed it from the outset and it has only gotten better, this week's episode was its best yet.

I thought Arrested Development Season 4 was pretty damn good, a little rocky here and there, but overall I really liked it. I think it's a better season than Season 3 was (which for me is the low bar).

Archer was great, as per usual. <3

One show I regret not getting into is Bob's Burgers, I've only seen a handful of episodes, but everything I've seen has been pretty damn good. I just caught an episode on TV last night with Bob hiding in the wall from his Mother in law that was hilarious.

#72 Posted by MajorZiggy (36 posts) -

Wow!

Didn't expect so little love for House of Cards, definitely my favorite new show this year(yeah I know it's based on British show).

From returning shows I would have to say:

• Breaking Bad - Great show that ended on a high note and on it's own terms
  • Game of Thrones - Just a cool series, can't wait to see more especially after reading the books
  • It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - Every season maintains its quality, don't know how they do it
  • South Park - Same as Always Sunny, at least for me
  • The Legend Of Korra - Good show, but the original is still better

Those are the ones that popped into my head. Also watched The Sopranos for the first time at the beginning of this year, so I'll recommend that as well.

#73 Posted by MocBucket62 (1146 posts) -

Top 3: Archer, Game of Thrones and Parks and Recreation. I have not watched much TV unless if its sports, but in terms of shows, those are the ones I enjoyed this year.

Was The Office series finale this year? Because that will go down as one of my favorite TV episodes of the year.

#74 Posted by altairre (1121 posts) -

1. Person of Interest

I think the highs in this show (particularly the last three episodes) are higher than in any other I've seen this year (to be fair I haven't seen Braking Bad yet). Great character development and interaction and often times an incredible sense of style (like an action scene in the last episode that reminded me of Hotline Miami).

2. Arrow

This show really upped its game compared to when it started. It continuously delivers solid to great episodes and makes the character focused superhero show work in a way I didn't anticipate while Marvel completely failed with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

3. The Blacklist

My guilty pleasure so to speak. It's a really dumb show with a lot of faults and missteps including some bad acting of some of the main characters. The only redeeming quality is pretty much James Spader who appears to have fun with his role and literally saves the show for me.

#75 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -
  • South Park
  • Key & Peele
  • Sportscenter
  • Hockey
  • Football
#76 Posted by BaneFireLord (2909 posts) -

I started watching The Wire for the first time this year, so I'll go with that.

#77 Edited by pyromagnestir (4238 posts) -

Hannibal and Orphan Black were the 2 new shows I watched and really enjoyed. Oh, and Broadchurch was a really good little BBC small town murder mystery miniseries thing.

As for older shows, I'm down on most of my favorite comedies this year, Parks and Rec, Community, and New Girl have all slipped, to varying degrees. Also Happy Endings was cancelled. And lastly, there wasn't a new season of Louie. The Daily Show, and behind that The Colbert Report, were probably my two favorite sources of comedy on TV this year. I guess that could be said for the last few years as well, but in previous years those other shows were so good that at least they gave them a run for their money.

While for the dramas, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Game of Thrones all continued to be fucking great. For me, only Hannibal really came close to joining their ranks this year, but entertaining as it was it just wasn't on that level.

@wjb: Hannibal is fucking great! But I almost forgot to mention it until I saw you mention it, even though only yesterday I was looking at it for sale in the On Demand menu and thinking "man, I wish I could fucking buy it because I'd watch it again right now," so thanks!

#78 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Ray Donovan and The Americans

(as actual NEW shows of 2013.)

@kagato said:

I watch a bunch of things, mostly stuff no one else likes though:

• Game of Thrones
  • Once Upon a Time
  • The Walking Dead
  • Grim
  • Agents of Shield
  • Arrow
  • New Girl
  • Defiance
  • How I met your Mother

Im sure there are more but thats all that comes to mind just now

Uhm a lot of those range from pretty popular to VERY popular.

#79 Posted by Pezen (1561 posts) -
  • Vikings
  • House of Cards
  • The Killing
  • Hello Ladies

I've dabbled in other shows, but not seen enough. And I am not up-to-date on Game of Thrones, Walking Dead or Mad Men.

And I haven't watched more than 3 episode of Breaking Bad's first season.

#80 Posted by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -

Thanks for the recommend guys. I am going on a trip and won't be able to bring my gaming stuff for about 6 weeks. Will definitely download and check most of these shows out in that time.

#81 Edited by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -

@animasta: Dude so hyped about the FLASH. That new series spin-off need to happen. I actually watched the 1990's series as a kid and remember loving it

#82 Posted by CrunksMcgee (11 posts) -

Hannibal and Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany 100% deserves that golden globe nomination.

Also started person of interest this year and I am now caught up that show is awesome

#83 Edited by Jnal (213 posts) -

@wjb: Justified

Also Suits

#84 Edited by Ravelle (1185 posts) -

Arrow has been fantastic.
Breaking Bad.
The Walking Dead
Bob's Burgers
Mad men
New Girl
Modern Family
Orange is the new Black
Sleepy Hollow
Trophy Wife
Eastbound & Down.

#85 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (756 posts) -

Hannibal

Almost Human

The Americans

Person of Interest

#86 Edited by Obesio (9 posts) -
  • Breaking Bad
  • The Walking Dead
  • Game of Thrones
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine
  • The Blacklist

And as for movies,

• Birdemic 2: The Resurrection

That's it. That all you need to watch. It's perfect in all ways. I would suggest you watch both movies.

#87 Posted by DaddyCabinet (176 posts) -

@benspyda: I will have to take your word on doctor who. I hate the current doctor with a passion and will only tune in for the episode were he dies. Also bowties are hella uncool.

#88 Posted by DaddyCabinet (176 posts) -
#89 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1639 posts) -

The Genius definitely :) The music, cast, comedy, editing, style and everything else is great.

It was so awesome I had to English sub it.

Yuram is also incredibly pleasing to the eyes.

#90 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

The Genius definitely :) The music, cast, comedy, editing, style and everything else is great.

It was so awesome I had to English sub it.

oh my gosh you're the best <3 <3 <3

#91 Edited by Marcsman (3113 posts) -

Banshee

Game of Thrones

Episodes

Walking Dead

Veep

Shameless

#92 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany 100% deserves that golden globe nomination.

For reals.

#93 Posted by Poonz (127 posts) -

Arrow

Walking Dead

Almost Human

Sons of Anarchy

#94 Edited by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

Naked and Afraid

The Legend of Korra

Whose Line Is It Anyway?

NCIS

Rabbids Invasion

Best show I watched this year that didn't come out this year. - Samurai Champloo

#95 Posted by RonGalaxy (2868 posts) -

Okay so I just started watching American Horror Story. Finished the first 2 seasons and am currently on the 3rd episode of the third

When I first heard about this show, I saw the "from the creators of Glee and Nip/Tuck" tagline and was immediately turned off (mostly by the glee part). I thought this was going to be some teenage/novice attempt at horror/weird when I saw that.

Boy was I wrong

I mean, Jesus, this show is fucked up, and it keeps pushing the boundaries farther. I like when things get super weird in movies/tv, and this has that in spades. It's like if an episode of the twilight zone lasted for a full season and was rife with psychosexual undertones (overtones) and other complete batshittery. That's another thing, the structure of the series benefits it greatly. They have a story arc, run it for a season, and end it. There's no bullshit filler, no fucking around. Every second of that show is meaningful, and it's because they don't overdraw their stories. It makes me far more interested when going from one season to the next, because everything is fresh and new. I also like the fact that they reuse a lot of actors. I wonder if they are going to tie it all together at some point...

Anyway, Im not far into the 3rd season, but I can already tell it's going to be one of my favorites of 2013.

#96 Posted by MonetaryDread (1991 posts) -

In no particular order:

• House of Cards
  • Boardwalk Empire (I pretty much hated seasons 1-3, but Season 4 is one of the best seasons of TV ever)
  • Hannibal
  • Archer
  • Justified
#97 Posted by Brendan (7686 posts) -

Breaking Bad.

#98 Posted by GunstarRed (5022 posts) -

I was growing to despise Arrow over the course of the first season, but it started showing some real promise in the last few episodes and that has continued over to the second season. That last episode with Barry in the lab was truly awesome.

I have also enjoyed Veep a bunch as it's easily one of the funniest things on tv, and Sleepy Hollow is rather fun despite being incredibly shallow.

I wish the last season of Eastbound & Down was better. It had its moments (Especially his life story at the end.) but for the most part was really lacking compared to past seasons.