#1 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3002 posts) -

So this is kind of old news but it sounds like the Governator is interested in possibly starring in the next two Terminator films which would respectively be 5 and 6 in the franchise. I recently watched Terminator 2 last weekend for the 100th time on Netflix and for me it's still one of those films I can re-watch over and over and not get tired of. To my point are people still interested in this franchise? It seems to me the past two films have been terrible and have kind of taken the luster away from this franchise. Has this series reached the point of mediocrity? Not sure about you folks but having Arnold back doesn't really make me excited, they did that with the third film and it was terrible. I think if Cameron was to come back then maybe I'd be excited for it but even still the movie is under a new production house so it may be difficult to get Cameron back on board. Also if Arnold was to appear in the new films would it be in a voice acting role with them doing some computer generated stuff like they did in Salvation? So many questions, hopefully the franchise gets things right even a total reboot would be better then facing the total crap I saw in the last two films.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/4684557/Arnold-Schwarzenegger-to-star-in-Terminator-5-and-6.html

#2 Posted by LastNinja (281 posts) -

For me personally the first one is the best. Saw the second one as a 12 year old and loved it then but have since grown to hate it. Liked the third one for the humor but not much else. Salivation was shit for me. For me the franchise is dead, but I love Schwarzenegger so if they make a decent action movie with him involved I'll watch it.

#3 Posted by Vinny_Says (5685 posts) -

I saw terminator 2 as a kid and was convinced by my sister that the film was called "Terminator 2" because there are two terminators in it (not because it's a sequel). I loved every minute of T2 and still do to this day.

I eventually saw the first movie and although I was watching a 20 year old movie at that point it still impressed me like few other movies did.

Then I saw Terminator 3 in theaters and enjoyed it for what it was. It was nice to see Arnold back but I guess it wasn't as impressive anymore. I like T3 but not like I like the other two movies.

I never saw Salvation or that TV show.

The story of a killer robot who comes back in time to kill a man has already been done to perfection. The story of a killer robot who comes back in time to save humanity has also been done to perfection. There is no need for more, let it rest.

#4 Posted by DizzyMedal (398 posts) -

Those two movies are great! It's a real shame they never made any more.

#5 Edited by John1912 (1827 posts) -

The original was the only good one. T2 is complete shit and I dont know how anyone likes that movie. Edward Furlong ruins anything good about that film. Hes a emo little brat. The slang he teaches the Terminator is unbelievably fucking painful to listen too. When he isnt doing that, hes ruining the film with his black and white morality, and yelling at the Terminator in his mid puberty voice cracking screams.

#6 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

First one is great and the second one is still alright, but parts of it haven't aged well. The third one was super forgettable and Salvation was so horribly written it almost destroyed that entire universe with plot holes.

#7 Posted by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

The first one is amazing. Not much more to say about that.

The second one was just as amazing, if not a little better due to the special effects and the crazy ass shit that happens (but at the same time it's worse because of the kid)

The third one was okay but nothing special. It feels kind of stupid and contrived just so they could make money.

The fourth one..... I saw it in the theater when it came out, got the the BluRay for Christmas the following year.... Haven't even taken the shrink wrap off.

I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of the TV show on Netflix but kind of lost interest after that. (I have a firm "No R-Rating, No Rick" mentality when it comes to this stuff.)

#8 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2210 posts) -

The first 2 were superb with the second being one of my most absolute favorite films of all time. I did not care for the third movie and Salvation felt meaningless to the series. Man how I wish James Cameron would come back to save both this and the Aliens series as not even Ridley Scott could save Aliens.

#9 Posted by Baillie (4030 posts) -

@John1912 said:

The original was the only good one. T2 is complete shit and I dont know how anyone likes that movie. Edward Furlong ruins anything good about that film. Hes a emo little brat. The slang he teaches the Terminator is unbelievably fucking painful to listen too. When he isnt doing that, hes ruining the film with his black and white morality, and yelling at the Terminator in his mid puberty voice cracking screams.

Never heard this view, that's crazy. Edward Furlong is great, he's in two of my favourite movies.

#10 Edited by John1912 (1827 posts) -

@Baillie: He just really hits a nerve with me. Maybe if his dialogue wasnt just awful It would be different. His char just clashed so badly with the film imo. The first film was pretty dark. The 2nd can be but it was turned into a much more family friendly film which was largely all shoved into Edwards char. The irksome betrayal of that, along with his tween emo brat stage was too much.

To each his own, dont let my opinion detract any enjoyment or fond memories you have.

#11 Posted by tyler1285 (172 posts) -

@DizzyMedal said:

#12 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

Judgment Day should have been the last installment in the series. I hate the idea that all of the things in T2 didn't actually solve anything, and I especially hate that the later movies suggest that the rise of Skynet was fate, when the whole point of the Terminator 1 and 2 was that people could change future outcomes in the present armed with the knowledge of what would happen if they did nothing.

#13 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

I love it, hope 5 and 6 are will be as good as the previous ones.

#14 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

rewatched Terminator 2 lately, the high definition up-res does not do favours to that movie, the bike chase scene it hillarious because you can clearly see the stuntman and the short mexican on the back with a 5'o clock shadow as the kid.

#15 Posted by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

rewatched Terminator 2 lately, the high definition up-res does not do favours to that movie, the bike chase scene it hillarious because you can clearly see the stuntman and the short mexican on the back with a 5'o clock shadow as the kid.

Really? That sounds pretty bad. I need to watch that on Bluray now!

#16 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@DizzyMedal said:

#17 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

I like the setting, but i never really liked the time machine aspect of it... even though it's a big part of the series in terms of plot.

#18 Posted by UitDeToekomst (702 posts) -

The first one is pretty good. I don't care for any of the rest of the films. I haven't seen the TV show. I am pretty indifferent about news of potential further films.

#19 Posted by probablytuna (3533 posts) -

Terminator 2 is and always will be the best in the series.

#20 Posted by selbie (1841 posts) -

I've never seen 4 so I don't know exactly where the story could go from here, but the only way to make Terminator good again is with a really sinister, evil-as-fuck bad guy to contrast against the Terminator and his companions. That's what made T2 so good for me. The way the bad guy was so unrelenting in his pursuit made Sarah Conner and her son so vulnerable in comparison. T3 tried to replicate that, but completely FUBAR'd the whole thing.

#21 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

The Sarah Connor Chronicles was an awesome show, too bad it got canned too soon (they were right in the middle of doing great things with the story!).

Never cared much for the movies, though I have not seen T1 and T2 since I was a child. Fell asleep during T3 and never saw Salvation.

#22 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

I liked the idea of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, but as it turns out the main guy was a wuss and he never improved, which was totally out of character with what he became in the future. I loved how Sarah kicked ass but it became way too predictable and it was weird regardless how Sarah Connor explained the situation to her son he still just continued crying and tried to get with girls. How many attempts on your life do you need to understand that you might have to think differently and actually do something to prepare? The show fizzled out into nothingness and it was okay to stop when they did.

For the Terminator franchise in general I'd love more movies, some big budget games based the universe and not specific movies because the games tied to movies tend to become slaves to the plot and that's not fun for me at least.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

The first one is great.

The second one is just as great.

The third one is good. Nowhere near as mind-blowing as its predecessor, but definitely a pretty good movie.

Salvation is all right with me. I mean, it's not great in any way, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy it.

#24 Posted by Phr4nk0 (349 posts) -

Love the first, second was decent. I don't know why the second gets so much love, it was decent but the first is clearly superior in my opinion. Third was trash, I remember watching it in the cinema and rolling my eyes, barely enjoying it. Salvation brought it back but really didn't add anything new. I guess it was cool to spend more time in the future, but really it felt seperate from the original trilogy.

5 and 6? Arnold isn't in that shape anymore, not by a long shot, in any way, shape or form. I don't like it, aged terminator? They're gonna have to CG the crap out of it or do some writing miricles to come up with anything that doesn't seem hokey.

#25 Posted by NTM (7263 posts) -

I love the first two, and anyone that says one is better than the other is incorrect to me. From three on it wasn't very good though. The story of Terminator is interesting, but only with Cameron behind it.

#26 Posted by NTM (7263 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: Eh, I think it has always had that though. There were so many times in it, HD or not that you could tell that Arnold wasn't doing the stunts.

#27 Posted by Sanity (1891 posts) -

T2 is by far the best.

#28 Posted by NTM (7263 posts) -

@Cold_Wolven: Totally different. It wasn't his purpose. And Cameron says he has no intention in going back to Alien because of Alien 3 and Resurrection.

#29 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -

I still haven't seen the first one. Yep.

#30 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

I always found them to be fun action movies, but I never thought of them as being these great masterpieces that so many people do.

#31 Posted by ShaggE (6325 posts) -

I love the whole franchise. Even 3 and 4, solely because they further the fiction. Terminator is to me what Star Wars is to its fans.

#32 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (667 posts) -

I actually really enjoyed the TV show.

#33 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

I think I found a lot of enjoyment out of all of them, but the franchise really did degrade over time with 1 and 2 being the best and kind of slowing getting worse from there. But I think it's a little like Die Hard where somewhere along the line, some executive cock sucker started sticking his cocaine filled nose into everything in the movie where it ends up being PG-13 and Bruce Willis can't even say his tagline anymore.

#34 Posted by Bane122 (783 posts) -

The first is the best, two is great, three is okay and four is good. Three is the weakest and felt a bit too much like a money grab as it was just retreading the plot of two, until that ending. I was shocked and impressed they actually went there and showed Judgement Day. Salvation... I don't know, I just really like it.

At this point, I think the series needs to stay dormant for awhile, then either be rebooted or continue telling stories in the future but with no ties to John Connor. I'm not too interested in Arnold returning to the series, it needs to find its way without relying on him.

Also, the Endoskeleton is one of the best movie monster designs of all time.

#35 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

I havn't really seen the first one all the way through.

T2 I bought for 4 bucks at an FYE and didn't really care for it. It wasn't that exciting.

T3 I saw before the other ones. I fell asleep during it and I was watching it with friends.

Salvation i saw in theaters and it's alright.

I have no idea why people call T2 a post apocalypse movie.

#36 Posted by Jeust (10473 posts) -

To me the first and second Terminator movies where especially good 'cus I could identify with the situation. A cyborg uprising would sure be dreadful and nightmarish, and but with the rise of Internet, and the fact that almost  every computer system is connected to the Internet, makes such scenarios unrealistic and outdated, like a relic from the past. If a rogue AI had been born, with our dependency to the Internet, any man vs machine war would last a few hours. 

#37 Posted by skooks (85 posts) -

I love the Terminator franchise, even films 3 and 4 because it was just more of the world to enjoy. Terminator 2 will always be my favourite though. That film never gets old to me.

I also really liked the Sarah Connor Chronicles. It's a shame it never really took off.

#38 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Man I feel like 3 gets shit on more than it deserves. It is in no way better than 1 or 2. Not even close. Buuuuut I feel like there is a decent amount of fun to be had with the 3rd in the series.

#39 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i just think that 1 and 2 should of been the end. 3 didn't really seem great and i never seen salvation.

#40 Posted by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

I love the first two and I really liked the Sarah Conner Chronicles TV show. I don't care about another movie and I hated the one with Christian Bale.

#41 Posted by GunstarRed (5022 posts) -

Love both 1 and 2 and enjoyed 3 for what it was, it had a great ending. Salvation was just a lot of noise, was humourless and lacked any excitement. I liked the TV show, but it took too long getting to the interesting stuff.

Robocop Vs Terminator was the shit!

#42 Posted by Kidavenger (3507 posts) -

Arnold wasn't the reason the 3rd one sucked, but he is way too old to pull another one off now other than a walk on cameo.

Really what would they even do plot wise in another movie anyway? Give it another five years and remake the first one, everyone will hate it and it will make billions of dollars.

#43 Posted by TheRealMoot (353 posts) -

Terminator 1 and 2 are masterpieces in they're respective genre's and I can watch them any day!

Saw them as a kid and loved em, still love em today but Terminator 3 was... bland. The TV series was terrible! Amazingly terrible! How did it last so long! Haven't seen Terminator 4 or whatever the hell it's called, and have no interest.

#44 Edited by huser (1039 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft said:

So this is kind of old news but it sounds like the Governator is interested in possibly starring in the next two Terminator films which would respectively be 5 and 6 in the franchise. I recently watched Terminator 2 last weekend for the 100th time on Netflix and for me it's still one of those films I can re-watch over and over and not get tired of. To my point are people still interested in this franchise? It seems to me the past two films have been terrible and have kind of taken the luster away from this franchise. Has this series reached the point of mediocrity? Not sure about you folks but having Arnold back doesn't really make me excited, they did that with the third film and it was terrible. I think if Cameron was to come back then maybe I'd be excited for it but even still the movie is under a new production house so it may be difficult to get Cameron back on board. Also if Arnold was to appear in the new films would it be in a voice acting role with them doing some computer generated stuff like they did in Salvation? So many questions, hopefully the franchise gets things right even a total reboot would be better then facing the total crap I saw in the last two films.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/4684557/Arnold-Schwarzenegger-to-star-in-Terminator-5-and-6.html

I like the franchise with the idea Skynet won, and has been sending patsies back in time to ensure its victory. The only sources of knowledge about the eventual victory of man being a guy who says he knew John Connor and a bunch of robots all sent from a future where robots were slaughtering humans. And even if Reese isn't lying or been brainwashed, and he was correct in stating he was given this mission by John Connor, THAT John Connor only knows what he knows about the future from...Reese and a bunch of robots.

Just like in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, everyone knows Rufus helps set things up to get the future utopia in place...except it's Bill and Ted that tell Bill and Ted Rufus's name. At no point does Rufus introduce himself.

Seems to me Skynet got everything it wanted. Made sure the tech needed to create it came into existence and made sure it went real wrong at the right time. Through the info given by a Terminator, a brilliant and seemingly decent guy (ie Dyson) that might have helped make sure Skynet was benign or controlled was killed and all his company's work went up. Another Terminator with a list of humans offs a bunch of preteens, so the past two Terminators can't even kill a random woman or a punk teen, but this one can off a bunch of other people (explicitly mentioned as lieutenants to Connor, more likely potential challengers to the throne) as a SIDE project to the main project of infecting the past with a computer virus. And the greatest part of this gambit, created a legendary messiah that all other humans would look to (and more importantly stunt their own contributions) to save humanity that Skynet probably has very good records on now. Why chance randomness when you can get all of humanity to act predictably to help/serve/take bullets for a guy you know WON'T be able to beat you.

#45 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

The first 2 movies are some of the most impressive pieces of filmaking I have ever seen. The 3rd and 4th are ok, don't hate them. The TV show was also alright but just took too many liberties with the fiction.

My problem with the franchise and maybe it is a problem with me, is that the overall fiction has never seemed coherent because of the inconsistencies. It is like different people who saw the first two put together the following movies and TV show but didn't agree upon hard facts of the universe. Examples include the sound of the plasma weapons, the strength of the resistance force. The depictions of the future for example in the 4th movie are all out of whack. Lots of daytime scenes, terminators coming online before they should and not explaining why, the living conditions of the people seem great compared to the sad sights from the first movie, terminator model number inconsistencies, Skynet's creation and the absence of Cyberdyne. I mean, you blow up one building, that won't take down a whole corporation. As someone who works for a company that has to store lots of our work on computers, we back it up, off site. Hell even my own personal files I back up outside my computer. In T3 Skynet comes off as a jerk instead of a new AI fighting to survive like in the first 2 movies.

#46 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6287 posts) -

I haven't seen the original since I was a kid and barely remember anything about it. T2 is awesome, never saw 3, and Salvation was dumb as fuck. The scene with "Rooster" by Alice in Chains was pretty cool, though.

#47 Edited by Nights (604 posts) -

My thoughts? I think Terminator is the best in the series. It's so god-damn raw and gritty! The tension that film creates still holds up today.

#48 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

The first Terminator was bogus, filled with horrendous dialog and acting. I'm surprised the money was found to make a second one. Thank god they did it, for it is glorious.

No interest in more Terminator movies.