#1 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -

What plans or objectives have you ever thought of attempting to look after by the time this year is over?

#2 Edited by crusader8463 (14321 posts) -

Nothing major:

• Still have a job.
  • Have half my student loan paid off.
  • Had finally saved up enough to buy a new PC and build it myself.
  • Be able to stick to working out daily like I did last summer. I kept getting sick every few weeks last time I tried it, so who knows.
  • Have most of, if not all, the classes in TOR to max level.
#3 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

Look for a better job since the place i'm at is starting to show signs of going under.

Continue writing in my books, maybe even finish one.

Finally, keep my bank accounts at a respectable level.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

move back to Oregon

get my name changed

don't fail classes

pretty simple

#5 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Lose some weight, pay off my credit card debt, and have a book published.

Not major, except for maybe that last one.

#6 Posted by JasonR86 (9379 posts) -

Finish my PCE for school and become more confident as a mental health therapist.

#7 Posted by DjCmeP (1145 posts) -

Eat more pizza.

Play more games.

Be a baller and a shot caller.

#8 Posted by Lavapotamus (199 posts) -

Gaming goals

• Start a "This Year In Gaming" binder. I love GotY discussions and would love to contribute to them, but I either a) forget what I've played during the year or b) play a lot of games a little while after they've come out, so I get confused as to what is actually current. I hope to start a binder with two or so notebooks keeping track of what I buy/complete and when they came out.
  • Complete more of the games that I buy. I no longer subscribe to the masochistic viewpoint of "I bought x, I must finish x even though I hate it". However, I still buy plenty of games I enjoy. For one reason or another, I get sidetracked and never finish them. It's time to end that habit.
  • Get more involved with gaming communities. I like vidya games, a lot of other people seem to, too. Problem is, none of those people seem to be my friends. I suppose I should expand this towards a local effort, as well; it'd just be nice to have gaming discussions once in a while without feeling like I'm sentencing a person to listening to it.

Rest-of-life goals

• Stick to a schedule for guitar/piano practice
  • Stay off Reddit. Seriously.
  • Don't miss a single class (unless I'm bed-ridden).
  • Learn how to use photoshop competently
  • Learn HTML5
#9 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -
@DjCmeP: My Little Brother's thought exactly.
#10 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
  • Reach peak physical fitness
  • Transfer to a 4-year university to complete my bachelors
  • Improve my writing ability
  • Be awesome
  • Become Batman
#11 Posted by Eidderf (504 posts) -

Get a job of some sort

Learn how to make more complex recipes (been baking lately)

Avoid death

I think these are all pretty possible, be nice to put my degree to some use despite it being quite a niche one. I suppose to furthur my know of other programs that would help me in that respect should also be on the list.

#12 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -

world peace

#13 Posted by Loose (419 posts) -

World domination

#14 Posted by EuanDewar (4513 posts) -

Holy shit you're back.

#15 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Reading your mini bio HOLY SHIT MAN WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU

#16 Posted by AverageGreg (120 posts) -
  1. Find a new job
  2. Pass driving test
  3. Move out
  4. Get back into writing
  5. Have fun
#17 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

@Hardgamer:

I want to make a lot of money; I want to complete my tattoo projects; I want to start teaching English; I want my girlfriend to get professional help for her personal issues.

#18 Posted by Benny (1937 posts) -

@FunExplosions said:

WORD

#19 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -
@Bruce said:

@Hardgamer:

I want to make a lot of money; I want to complete my tattoo projects; I want to start teaching English; I want my girlfriend to get professional help for her personal issues.

Is your Girlfriend really that troubled?
#20 Posted by mosespippy (3752 posts) -

Either begin learning an instrument or learn French. Seriously, I have 2 guitars sitting in my room that I've never played and an antique piano in my living room that I don't know how to use. I also hear French almost every week simply because I'm in Canada. There is no real reason I shouldn't be able to understand it.

#21 Edited by Hardgamer (610 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:

Holy shit you're back.

Which one?
#22 Posted by pjacobson21 (198 posts) -

1 - Keep my average up so I can receive a scholarship (I am hoping to study abroad next year and paying for it without any scholarship assistance could be tough)
2 - Be a more active musician. Play guitar more often, start gigging somewhat regularly, start playing piano again (my first instrument)
3 - Maintain and if possible increase my level of physical activity.  Keep working out and hopefully start playing more basketball again
4 - Expand my social circle. I am a first year university student and thus far I have more or less kept to just hanging out with my friends from highschool, and as much as I love them I would like to meet new people who I can chill with on a regular basis.

#23 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -
  • Exercise more.
  • Move out.
  • Ace all my classes.
#24 Posted by Masha2932 (1237 posts) -

GOALS FOR 2012 

• Start writing/podcasting: I always have strong opinions on various gaming issues but I never speak up on them. For the new year I hope to start writting blogs on Giant Bomb and if I can't express myself in writing then I'll try and start a podcast.  Hopefully this will help me improve my writing quality. 

• Increase and improve my vocabulary: This is an addition to point one above. My writing can only get better if I read more and since I'm not from an English speaking background a little reading won't hurt.

• Get a job- I have been unemployed since graduation and I hope to change that in the new year.  

• Lose weight- I have gained some weight this past two months and I just want to return to my previous weight range. I've already cut down on my food intake and If I get a job I might consider joining a gym.  

• Complete the games I buy- What is the point of buying a game and keeping it on my shelf unfinished? A game is meant to be played and experienced. So my goal is to complete all the games I start and if I'm not enjoying myself I move on to a different game. Life is too short to waste time on games you don't enjoy.  

• Visit my family: I've been away for my family for over a year and hopefully I can save some money and then I can visit them.

NB:  

It has been great putting my thoughts down in writing. I've never done it before. The life coaches on TV shows always advise people to do so and now I see why, putting your thoughts in writing makes it final in a way since it's not just a concept in your head. 

Also what do you guys think of  forming some sort of support group out of this forum. Say at the end of every month we come back to this forum and discuss how each of our goals are going and if we are closer to achieving them. I always find it is better to do something with the support of others. We could pair up and PM each other as the year goes on or something. I'm not 100% sure how we will do this but any  ideas are welcome.

Finally good luck to me and all the other posters on this forum, may we all achieve our goals in the new year. 
#25 Posted by clubsandwich (3796 posts) -

@FunExplosions said:

I second this, seriously, what the hell? :|

#26 Posted by Saethir (353 posts) -

Hopefully sometime in the next year I will get my shit together.

I'm done with this whole hot mess business. More trouble than anything.

#27 Posted by RainDog505 (99 posts) -

1. Complete the first tier of my company's career ladder for registered nurses. It's not at all a requirement for employment, but it helps foster connectivity to far flung causes and charities endorsed by the hospital such as the wonderful "No One Dies Alone" initiative. Also, there is a small monetary incentive. Win-Win.

2. Move in with girlfriend. Already discussed at some lengths. Time to take that next step.

3. Find a Joust cabinet or a Donkey Kong cocktail. The state of Texas should surely have one or the other up for sale/auction soon...and I can manage a drive for a great cause.

#28 Posted by Hargreaves93 (234 posts) -

I'm hoping for one of those life-changing years (even though it could be the last year ever, why not make it a good one?). This year has really been a mess in terms of personal and academic issues.

Personal Goals

• Spend more time with my friends, family and girlfriend.
  • Start hitting the gym again and become a better American Football player.
  • Help my dad sort the house out.
  • Don't rush all aspects of life as much as I usually do.

Academic Goals

• Work harder at uni - got a 2:1 in my first piece of coursework but with a little bit more effort I can get that to a first.
  • My organisation must improve.

Gaming Goals

• Finish my backlog (one of the things everyone says there goin' to do!)
  • Hopefully start some sort of blogging feature(s) on Giantbomb and try and be more actively in the community/wiki.

A lot of things to do, a lot of things to sort out but just typing them out isn't going to get them done. However, it does give me a checklist now on what I need to do (and technically isn't this my second point in 'Academic Goals'? As this is sort of being more organised?).

#29 Posted by Dany (7886 posts) -

Gain muscle mass, ive lost 70 lbs this year, I could use more muscle

#30 Posted by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

@Hargreaves93 said:

I'm hoping for one of those life-changing years (even though it could be the last year ever, why not make it a good one?). This year has really been a mess in terms of personal and academic issues.

Personal Goals

• Spend more time with my friends, family and girlfriend.
  • Start hitting the gym again and become a better American Football player.
  • Help my dad sort the house out.
  • Don't rush all aspects of life as much as I usually do.

Academic Goals

• Work harder at uni - got a 2:1 in my first piece of coursework but with a little bit more effort I can get that to a first.
  • My organisation must improve.
  • Learn basic spelling and grammar; including learning the difference between there, they're and their.

Gaming Goals

• Finish my backlog (one of the things everyone says there goin' to do!)
  • Hopefully start some sort of blogging feature(s) on Giantbomb and try and be more actively in the community/wiki.

A lot of things to do, a lot of things to sort out but just typing them out isn't going to get them done. However, it does give me a checklist now on what I need to do (and technically isn't this my second point in 'Academic Goals'? As this is sort of being more organised?).

Fixed that for you.

#31 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2780 posts) -

Acquire more meaningful relationships and build on existing ones. Memorize Debussy's Arabesque on the piano. Build a gaming PC. Get better at fighting games. Sell the remaining things that I don't use.

#32 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
  • Finally learn to play the guitar and/or form a band
  • Get a girlfriend
  • Write some gaming related articles, either for the school paper and/or reviews after I've finished a game
  • Go to the gym at least twice a week during the breaks between classess/after school/start jogging (after summer that is)
  • Learn gimp/photoshop at an intermediate level

These are actually all pretty reasonable when compared to my previous years' resolutions and steps have been made towards making all of these come true.

#33 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

Get better at fighting games.

This counts for me as well!

I will get good at the Persona The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena, no matter what!

#34 Posted by gakon (1940 posts) -

Exercise, lose weight, so I can not humiliate myself when I eventually take the P.E. class my university requires.

Also, learn how to spell exercise without having to think about it.

Maybe commit to learning XNA and putting out a game of some kind.

#35 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

Get money

Get paid

#36 Posted by Aronman789 (2674 posts) -
  • Lose some weight through diets and exercise
  • Refresh my Spanish-speaking abilities since they've gotten rusty
  • Bring up my grades in math and 3D modeling class
  • Finish the A Song of Ice and Fire and Gaunt's Ghosts series, start on Bas-Lag and Long-Price Quartet series, maybe Horus Heresy too
  • Get a better router so I can play online again
  • Build a new PC
  • Get into the habit of shaving again after having my beard for too long
  • Learn more history
  • Not die

I think that is everything

#37 Posted by whistlebottom (193 posts) -

- Rock Ice

- Smoke weed

- Fuck bitches

#38 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (690 posts) -

i'm going to indulge myself with a purchase of a BMW 330i ZHP E46. i plan on having one before the end of 2012.

#39 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Go down from 230 pounds to around 160-170 at least.

And that's about it.

#40 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -
  • Don't die
  • Stay in school
  • Keep being cool
#41 Posted by harinosho (588 posts) -

Move out.

Get a new Job/Hold on to current Job.

Keep the workouts going, maybe even join a Gym

Learn a foreign language (most likely wont happen)

#42 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
  • Buy an iPad.
  • Buy a new iPhone.
  • Paint my room.
  • Go on some more dates.
  • Play more god damn video games.
#43 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -

I don't partake in that "New Year's resolution" bullshit. If I want to accomplish something, I'll do it as soon as I can. I am not going to wait around and make false commitments just because it's a New Year.

#44 Posted by Ben_H (3206 posts) -

Finish my diet/workout regiment I half put on hold for finals. 23 pounds down, 17 to go. I want to get to 175 pounds and I'm currently 192

Not be so lazy with university. I left too much stuff to the last minute and didn't work hard enough in my honours linear algebra class.  If i want to pass next term I have to work hard though because I have two difficult math courses, physics, statistics, and one more probably math-based course that I haven't picked yet. No cushy social science stuff that I can BS my way through like this term.  Though to be honest this is what I prefer. I can focus a lot better on math and science courses than reading some stupid book and then making a bunch of stuff up about it in the form of an essay.