• 122 results
#1 Posted by DriveupLife (909 posts) -
#2 Edited by hoossy (932 posts) -

I'm single, and have always leaned toward NOT getting a prenup. Maybe I'm 'old fashioned', but I take the vows seriously, and think any prenup kinda spits in the face of 'till death do you part'. I'm a little more lenient for folks who are filthy rich/own a lot of assets because of what if would mean for them if their spouse ended up trying to go after their money...

I just hope that i feel confident and safe enough with my spouse to where I won't feel the need for something like that. That even if our relationship didn't work out (unless one of us cheated or did something awful), I'd hope our ultimate goal wouldn't be to destroy the other one in divorce court...

but maybe I'm just ignorant.

#3 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

^ Pretty much that. 'Im not marrying anyone unless i'm it for the long haul.

#4 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Yeah I would take the vows seriously but maybe thats how lots of men lose their money......   

#5 Edited by aquamarin (555 posts) -

I'd want one if I won the Powerball, if I was still just Joe Schmoe, she would laugh at me I wouldn't be getting married anymore.

#6 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

If I didn't know certain people I'd never sign one.

#7 Posted by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

I feel like it's a little weird to sign one, but if my lady friend asked me to I would, also if she did not want to sign it I think I might find it a little rude. If I had any money then I think I might actually ask her to sign one, but really only because I owe 2500+ dollars in credit card debt because of my dad so I know how money can be a little weird even with the people who are closest to you.

#8 Posted by RUDEMIESTER (56 posts) -

Prenups are for quitters.

#9 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

Prenupts are for pussys.

#10 Posted by tunaburn (1885 posts) -

all these guys saying im in it for the long haul. sometimes its not up to you. my wife cheated on me and i left her over it. luckily i was broke as fuck so she couldnt get shit anyways.

#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

It's almost like saying "listen, I know this might fuck up at some point". 
Then again, seems to work out for a lot of people so I'm not against them, I just wouldn't sign one myself. 

#12 Edited by buft (3301 posts) -

If you have to worry about breaking up before you start, don't get married, you haven't found her yet but you know they are totally fine too.

@tunaburn said:

all these guys saying im in it for the long haul. sometimes its not up to you. my wife cheated on me and i left her over it. luckily i was broke as fuck so she couldnt get shit anyways.

Motivational poster material, you sir are my new idol.

#13 Posted by DriveupLife (909 posts) -

Interesting responses. I myself will not marry without a prenup, period. It's not about trust, love or commitment to me, it's about protecting BOTH of us and being on the same page with each others financial situation, all assets and debt included. If she refuses to sign even after being advised by a lawyer, the marriage can't happen. Tough I know, but it's how The world is. Many men and women say the same things about prenups and wish they got one after they get divorce papers.

#14 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (479 posts) -

Don't see the point in marriage myself but that just me. I do think prenups have there place though in this day and age.

#15 Posted by sBlacksmith (77 posts) -

I don't think a marriage should use financial reasons to support itself, aka: you will be punished if you quit.. I would sign one IN NAME OF TRUE LOVE..

I'm that shameless.

#16 Posted by Lenny (84 posts) -

I'm not married however we have two children and a third on the way so I'd say I'm financially tied in whatever where to happen, not that I plan on going anywhere. Pre-nup's seem to be a bad way to start a marriage, it suggests the very real possibility of a temporary marriage - but whatever, each to their own etc...

#17 Posted by Vinny_Says (5686 posts) -

There's like 9 different blog posts about dudes losing their shit because of divorce just here on GB.....I dunno, if that's what's on your mind when thinking of marriage maybe just not do it?

#18 Posted by BigDaddy81 (317 posts) -

I find marriage itself an archaic institution and completely unnecessary in this day and age. I wouldn't recommend getting married at all, but if you insist on it at the very least get a prenup. Couples who are about to get married are often too wrapped up in the moment and naively believe true love conquers all, never even considering what might happen down the line. With divorce rates the way they are in America, the odds are quite stacked against anyone maintaining a long and lasting marriage. And with divorce comes hate, vitriol, lawyers, expenses, shattered hopes and dreams, the list goes on and on. It's bad enough ending a relationship, but factor in all that other stuff and it just multiplies the problems. And god help you if you had kids. Child support will fucking wreck you.

I made it quite clear to my girlfriend that I have no intention of getting married or having kids, and luckily she seems to be of the same mind. Marriages man. They destroy healthy relationships.

#19 Posted by Xerxes8933A (227 posts) -

I think they are sad. I think if you need to get a prenup, you shouldn't be getting married in the first place. That said, I don't know anyone who's ever signed one myself, don't know anyone who's gotten a divorce though either.

#20 Edited by Athadam (673 posts) -

Just because you are in it for the long haul doesn't mean he/she will be. Prenups protect both parties and prevent naturally evil temptations.

#21 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4285 posts) -

All I prenup says to me "I'm not 100% sure" and if I'm fucking marrying someone (i.e. making a serious, life-changing commitment), you better believe I'm going to be 100000% sure before taking the plunge.

#22 Posted by Falx (345 posts) -

There's no "I'm definitely not going to get married option". I might change my mind sometime down the line, but at the moment, I think that there's no real point in marriage.

#23 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -

Let me put it this way. Someone can divorce you just for being "unsatisfied." Nothing like abuse or irreconcilable differences. Just for straight up being unhappy someone can leave you and take half your shit.

Get a pre-nup. Don't be a fucktard.

#24 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

No prenup is ironclad and men always get screwed in divorce cases. Don't get married.

#25 Posted by dudeglove (7687 posts) -

@buft said:

@tunaburn said:

Motivational poster material

On it.

#26 Posted by dudeglove (7687 posts) -

@DriveupLife said:

Many men and women say the same things about prenups and wish they got one after they get divorce papers.

Your friends (?) are lucky. Without a prenup, even getting the other person to sign papers is hard enough, because in some instances it literally can degrade to one person childishly crossing their arms and saying "Nuh uh! Don't wanna!" Cue years of misery and fighting, ultimately because the other person is so fucking lazy and doesn't want to go through the "hassle" of dealing with the law. And then people wonder why housewives chop their husbands' dicks off with the kitchen knife.

#27 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

I think it makes a joke of getting married in the first place.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

I'm all for it. Everyone says "Oh well its just saying your gonna quit" No, its being smart and protecting yourself down the line. If your healthy throwing money at a insurance company seems completely dumb and wasteful until the day you need it then your glad its there. Same thing with this you don't WANT to have to use it but its there to protect you in case things go really sour and that could happen 1 year in or 20 years in you just don't know what is going to happen.

#29 Posted by Daiphyer (1308 posts) -
#30 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

If someone can explain to me how signing a piece of paper shows the world how much you love someone, or how it proves commitment, that'd be rad.

I'm not so sure humans are the type of animal that are meant to live life with only one sexual partner. If you look at the evidence it would seem to suggest while humans are capable of living life with only one partner, the majority of people seem to find it natural to explore multiple sexual partners.

And really marriage is all about making women property of men.

#31 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Falx said:

There's no "I'm definitely not going to get married option". I might change my mind sometime down the line, but at the moment, I think that there's no real point in marriage.

It can save you money and help you cross borders.

#32 Posted by SharkEthic (1004 posts) -

It might be the sensible thing to do, but fuck sensible. I could never even imagine having asked my wife, the love of my life, to sign a prenup. If you can even consider that shit when looking at your fiance, you fucked up, and should break it off right then and there.

@Jimbo said:

#33 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

but so does divorce

#34 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

No one will ever take half my shit so fuck ya Prenups are great.

#35 Posted by pyromagnestir (4242 posts) -

My thoughts are that there should be an option for a more temporary marriage arrangement. I don't know how that would work, but someone smarter than me should figure it out.

#36 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

My thoughts are that there should be an option for a more temporary marriage arrangement. I don't know how that would work, but someone smarter than me should figure it out.

Like an "I only want to become a citizen of her stupid country and I'm finished" type deal, or a "Pretty sure we're forever but don't quote me on it" kinda thing?

#37 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

if i'm a millionaire, then sure i understand signing one... if your not rich then i probably wouldn't do it.

#38 Posted by SharkEthic (1004 posts) -

@mandude said:

@pyromagnestir said:

Like an "I only want to become a citizen of her stupid country and I'm finished" type deal, or a "Pretty sure we're forever but don't quote me on it" kinda thing?

Isn't that just a prenuptial agreement in it's current form?

#39 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

I think it's a show of the other person really caring about you and proving that they are getting married because they love you and not your money. Though I don't have any money so foreveralone.jpg.

#40 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -
@egg said:

@Jimbo said:

but so does divorce

Not really.
#41 Posted by believer258 (11633 posts) -

It's kind of disrespectful to ask before getting married, but then I'm very protective of what's mine and losing that shit because of some stupid "wife takes half (or ALL)" deal would put me in a world of pissed-off I've never been in before and would probably stay there for a few months before actually getting around to being sad and depressed and all.

So... probably. But just asking in the first place would be difficult.

#42 Posted by DemBones (69 posts) -

I like taking the "better safe than sorry" approach to huge commitments like marriage. People do change and I wouldn't want to be caught unawares.

#43 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -
@BigDaddy81 said:

I find marriage itself an archaic institution and completely unnecessary in this day and age.

Well then, it's a good thing that people don't get married because it's "an institution" but because they love each other. :/

I think prenups are generally a good idea, especially if one or both of the people getting married have made some considerable financial progress in their lives and have assets that they want to protect. That said, my wife (who was previously my girlfriend of six or seven years) got married last year and we didn't sign a prenup. We're both in our early 20's and don't really have anything that we'd want to protect in the first place. Plus there's the whole traditionalist thing as well.
#44 Posted by SharkEthic (1004 posts) -

@DemBones said:

I like taking the "better safe than sorry" approach to huge commitments like marriage.

You sir, are a true romantic.

#45 Posted by DemBones (69 posts) -

@SharkEthic said:

@DemBones said:

I like taking the "better safe than sorry" approach to huge commitments like marriage.

Indeed. I spare no expense when I take my dates to Chick-Fil-A.

#46 Posted by SharkEthic (1004 posts) -

@DemBones said:

@SharkEthic said:

@DemBones said:

A gentleman as well, I see.

#47 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Wow, GB user seriously have this many singles?

When I marry my hoe (yes we are comfortable to call each other that), I trust her. Knew her for 5 years and she's been my closest friend since we started being more closer. My parents might make her sign one, but mostly due to my family's income and whatnot...and they being afraid she'd take it all.

#48 Posted by DemBones (69 posts) -

@SharkEthic said:

@DemBones said:

@SharkEthic said:

@DemBones said:

A gentleman as well, I see.

You're far too kind, good sir.

#49 Posted by RenMcKormack (1072 posts) -

Its something that you need to have, When she leave you ass she gone leave with half.

- Phil FIsh

#50 Posted by Slay3r1583 (600 posts) -

Maybe I'm just cynical and pessimistic but they seem like a necessary evil in this day. Good thing I'm going to be forever alone so I don't have to worry about that stuff though.