What are your top 10 Favorite movies of all time?

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By giyanks22

What are your top favorite movies of all time. In order, and put why next to them if you want?

MINE:
1. Saving Private Ryan-
This is the greatest war movie ever made. Spielberg transports you to the battlefields of World War II unlike any movie has ever done before. Tom Hanks gives his best performance ever, which is saying a lot, and the ending is so emotional. It is a movie that is touching, thrilling, but most of all it is a harsh reminder of how horrible war really is. This movie is my favorite movie ever, because for the rest of my life, I will always be reminded of what those men did in WWII, because of how graphic and moving this movie is.

2. The Dark Knight-
A movie that achieves perfection in every way. The script is top notch, it is full of action, and the acting is superp all around. Heath Ledger gives the second greatest performance ever, and really makes you fear the Joker. The special effects are brilliant, and the story is thrilling and sends a powerful message.

3. 12 Angry Men-
A movie that takes place entirely in one room, that is about twelve jurors who must decide the fate of a kid charged with First Degree murder. eleven think he's guilty, and one thinks he's innocent. The one man is played by Henry Fonda, who gives the performance of a lifetime, and he has to convince the eleven jurors of the kid's innocence.

4. The Shawshank Redemption-
This is a movie about a man, TIm Robbins, who is wrongly convicted of killing his wife and her lover, and he is given a double life sentence in a maxim security, corrupt  New England Prison. There he befriends Morgan Freeman, who plays another man with a life sentence, and the movie progesses with their life in prison. The cinematography is absolutely brilliant, and Morgan Freeman is excellent. The ending is very...very picture perfect, and the movie does an amazing job of showing how the outside world changes over time, while the walls of the prison are resistant  to any time change.

5. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King-
In this movie Peter Jackson does a masterful job of rounding out one of the greatest trilogies of all time. A movie that won eleven academy awards, the all time record, LOTR ROTK, shows how Frodo must fulfill his quest of destroying the ring, while the forces of good try and hold off the evil Sauron's forces by fighting them head on. Elijah Wood gives an astounding performance where he develops the character of  Frodo to the same amount of detail described in Tolkien's masterful books. Ian McKellen gives an amazing performace as the Savior like Gandalf. Every actor is really amazing. Andy Serkis, who plays Gollum, went through hell to play the role, and he achieved it brilliantly. The battle scenes are the most epic of any movie ever, and the charge of the Rohirrim is something that every movie lover must see. A truly epic and awe inspiring film.

6. Patton-
This is a World War II movie that is about one of the greatest military figures of all time. George S. Patton, played by George C. Scott. George C. Scott gives the greatest performance of all time as Patton. He is fiesty, agitating, outspoken, not the hero we wanted, but the one we needed. All of his successes are outweighed by his outspokenness, and stubbornness. The movie portrays Patton as a flawed god, who believes that he was reincarnated after having faught in ancient battles of old. The movie really takes the American's experience of World War II in Europe, and puts it into a nutshell. A really outstanding movie, that shows you what an amazing man he was.

7. Gran Torino-
This might be the best mix of comedy, action, emotion, and message of any movie ever. Clint Eastwood writes, directs, stars in, and produces this one. He got snubbed from any Oscars, but boy did he deserve them. Clint Eastwood plays his typcial , hardened, low key, old bitch. He's racist, and hostile toward pretty much every thing  that moves. One of his Asian neighbors tries to steal his precious Gran Torino car. Eastwood stops him, and is really...really pissed.  But strange circumstances make him a hero in the eyes of his Asian neighbors, and he befriends his next door neighbors. He helps them out, gets the son started at a job, and even is willing to sacrifice everything for them. A great American classic, and hilariously funny at some parts.

8. Forest Gump-
Tom Hanks gives another excellent performance in this movie, as the retarted Forest Gump. The story is really amazing, and has some extremely emotional pieces, and is also very funny. Forest Gump achieves so much with an IQ of 77. He is an all american football player, a medal of honor winner, a national celebrity ping pong champion, a shrimp boat company owner, and a founding investor in Apple. The movie's message is powerful: No matter what, if you can set your mind to do something, anything can be accomplished.

9. The Bourne Ultimatum-
Matt Damon plays the troubled ex-CIA agent Jason Bourne, a man who has amnesia, and cannot remember his past. Meanwhile the CIA has been hunting him for two years, and he is still on the run, trying to uncover his past. The CIA is starting covert opps programs  to take out enemy targets that threaten US security. The cinematography is excellent and really makes you feel like you are in on the action. The pacing and editing is some of the best ever, and the story is very fulfilling in the end.

10. Blazing Saddles-
This is the funniest movie of all time. Full of great old Hollywood comedians like Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder, Harvey Korman, and Cleavon Little. I was kept laughing throughout the entire movie, and every gag was funnier than the next. Mel Brooks is one of the most talented comedians of all time.

So what are yours?

elcalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By elcalavera

How come there are only five movies on your list..?

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@elcalavera: I'm guessing he wanted to post that and will add more later.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead
@giyanks22: 11 might be the all time record, but it's a joint holder with Titanic and Ben Hur.
elcalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By elcalavera
@TheMustacheHero: Sounds reasonable, well well.

My top five should be:
The Godfather I & II
Stalker
Star Wars
The Seventh Seal

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By captain_clayman

only one.

ferris bueller's day off.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By delta_ass

1. The Dark Knight
The greatest superhero movie of all time. This should've won Best Picture at the Oscars. What other superhero film can you actually say that about? What Christopher Nolan did with Batman and The Joker is simply the stuff of legend. You can't just look at it as a comic book movie, you can't just look at it as an action flick, you can't just look at it as a crime drama... it's a mindblowing masterpiece of cinema. Nolan took a franchise that had become known for "Chill out, bird boy!" and somehow managed to craft a dark epic that would become the second highest grossing film of all time. To make that sort of herculean effort with minimal CGI in today's environment... the man is simply a visionary genius.

And Heath Ledger... what is there left to say about Heath Ledger? He didn't win the Oscar because he died. It wasn't a sympathy vote. He deserved it, by portraying The Joker in a way wholly unlike anything we'd ever seen before. Fuck Cesar Romero, fuck Jack Nicholson, and fuck Mark Hamill. Ledger will always be The Joker now. So many quotable lines, and even a second villain that felt natural and meshed with the plot. Who could forget that brilliant hospital scene with our first glimpse at Two Face? The way Nolan teased at it, turning his head away at just the right moment to heighten the suspense. And then the actual reveal, and hearing the gasps in the audience. Just great iconic moments.

Another iconic scene: the interrogation room. What a wonderful way to subvert the traditional interrogation. Start it in darkness, but then shift into bright light, contrasting the white room with the blackness of Batman. Also reflecting the two warring sides of Two Faces. The Batman pummels the Joker, yet somehow still ends up being helpless while the Joker is holding all the cards. This isn't the sort of stuff you expect from a superhero action film. That's why it's so wonderful. Just as the Joker turned Gotham upside down, this film has completely turned its genre upside down. My favorite scene is the ending monologue from Commissioner Gordon: "Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a Dark Knight." BAM. The title card finally comes onscreen. If that didn't affect you in some manner after witnessing the last 2 and a half hours, you're just not human.

2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
You have to know, Star Trek 2 was one of the first films I remember watching as a young lad. Back in the good ol days, channel 44, which would later go on to become UPN and then the CW, would rerun old movies all the time, and one of those would be Star Trek 2. This was my very first Star Trek film, and left an absolutely indelible impression on me. This film was what made me a Trekkie. It was pretty cool too, cause this was right around the time that TNG was starting up and I was able to watch that great show as it originally ran.

Then my family bought a VCR player and I recorded Star Trek 2. And rewatched it and rewatched it and rewatched it. Fuck all other films, I couldn't get sick of viewing this somewhat poor quality recording. It got to the point where I could pretty much recite the dialogue line for line as they said it onscreen. Ya know how it is, being a young kid and going all crazy trying to ape Ricardo Montalban with fun lines like "To the last... I will grapple with thee. From Hell's heart... I stab at thee! For HATE's SAKE... I spit... my last breath... at thee!" Just wonderful emotional lines that you could really rasp out. Of course, some of the dialogue made absolutely no sense back then. It took me years to figure out exactly what "Sauce for the goose" meant, for example. Still, great childhood memories.

So, that's just a bit of context to let you know how much I cherish this film. The best Star Trek film ever, and my favorite film until The Dark Knight last summer. What Nicholas Meyer pulled off was nothing short of a miracle, when you look back and see that it was following up on Star Trek The Motionless Picture. Who could have had the imagination, and force of persuasion to alter basically the entire Star Trek universe like that? Suddenly... awful pajama uniforms gave way to awesomely elegant red jacket uniforms. With that iconic clasp over the right shoulder? That feature's been copied for fucking decades now, in all kinds of scifi movies and video games. You've gotta give props, that was an amazing costume change. And the single best starship battle, STILL. You can show me all sorts of ship battles from DS9 or Nemesis, but I still hold that Mutara Nebula battle as the greatest ship to ship battle in Trek history. You cannot top that film finale. Which is strange, because it's two Federation starships battling one another.

Then you realize that's what made it great. What was great was how they made it two Federation starships fighting each other. It seems like that would be a weird dynamic, but they make it work. The Reliant is from Starfleet, but it looks totally different from the Enterprise. And I'm not just talking about the red lighting they used, which was blatant as all hell. It's got two low nacelles right under it, far apart, so it kinda looks like a mean pitbull. A pitbull in somewhat of a lean, crouched down. Small, but packing a punch. While the Enterprise is longer and much more graceful with two nacelle struts in a V, like an eagle. This really hits home when the Enterprise is cruising towards the Mutara Nebula with the Reliant hot on its heels.

The final battle is tense, just like the u-boat films which Nicholas Meyer referenced on his commentary of the DVD. But what's so important is how slow the ships move. This is what is great about Trek, they are these giant ships and they act like it. When the Reliant comes charging out of the static towards the Enterprise, we can see Kirk pivoting his chair, while ordering "Evasive starboard!" Yet the ship herself turns much more slowly then his chair pivot. We feel the engines straining for such a maneuver. Is it realistic? Oh hell no, of course not. Ships are weightless in space, yada yada yada. But it doesn't matter, because Trek ships need that sense of size and weight. After all, this is space... they have nothing but the Enterprise and an occasional alien planet. This ship is the workplace, and home, and overall landscape for 500 people. She's as much a character as any of the main characters. So to maintain the heft and importance, it is crucial that the ship not be pulling off all sorts of crazy loop-de-loops or whatnot.

So yea, Wrath of Khan still holds up. That's why it's a classic. I will always have a big goofy grin on my face while watching this film. Just can't help it. And yes, occasionally reciting a line like "Sauce for the goose, Mr. Saavik. The odds will be even."

3. The Rock
Here's a shocker... it's a fucking Michael Bay movie! But ya know what, that doesn't matter, because Michael Bay managed to actually combine his great action sensibilities with superb storytelling. Everything here is outrageous and explosiony and exciting, but without going so far over the top that it becomes incredibly retarded and irritating, e.g. Armageddon, Bad Boys 2. This is, in my opinion, the perfect modern day action flick. Navy Seals, U.S. Marines, jet fighters, a deadly nerve toxin, Sean Connery being a bad ass, Nicholas Cage being crazy fucking Nicholas Cage and allowing us to laugh at him... it has it all. It's sad that all of Bay's films after this have failed to live up to the promise that The Rock showed us. Perhaps he was just more hungry and determined back then, who knows. But even if Transformers 2 and 3 turn out to be turds on the order of the Star Wars prequels, I'll still remember him as the director of this great action flick.

4. Aliens
So many franchises we have today owe their success to Aliens. The Zerg from Starcraft? Aliens. The Tyranids from Warhammer 40k? Aliens. The bugs from Starship Troopers the film (not the book)? Aliens. The Brood from X-Men? Aliens. The Flood from Halo? Aliens. Probably a few others I've missed? Aliens. James Cameron took Ridley Scott's spookhouse in space and completely changed gears to deliver the ultimate scifi war film. Do smartguns on steadycam mounts make a ton of logical sense? Maybe not, but they looked damn cool. So much of what James Cameron designed was incredibly cool and has influenced pop culture. The Pelicans from Halo? Just copies of the Dropship from Aliens. The dropship pilot telling us we're in the pipe five by five? A direct line from Aliens. Angry black sargeant? That's just Apone. Shotgun being good in Doom? Probably Hick's, for close encounters.

The greatness of Aliens, apart from its many cool little tidbits, is the pacing. It's relentless. You're on this sorta roller coaster ride, but it's not quite fun. It's tense, scary, completely draining. And when you think you've managed to escape the worst of it... the Queen pops out of the rear landing gear and you're right back in the thick of it, witnessing an epic fight with a goddamn power loader. This film is great because it dialed absolutely everything up to 11. Looking back, it's easy to see that Alien 3 would've been somewhat of a disappointment no matter what they chose to do. Aliens said pretty much everything that needed to be said about humans in space battling xenomorphs. Game over man, game over.

5. Superman
Yes, another superhero film. This one also has a special place in my heart. Christopher Reeve set the mold for all other actors portraying superheroes. And nobody since has managed to break it. To me, Reeve *is* the Man of Steel. I don't care if the special effects are dated these days. This film's greatness transcends that. After all, Superman Returns had state of the art special effects and yet was a complete failure of a film. Christopher Reeve was able to make me believe a man could fly.

Also, Superman is one of those magical movies that really lodged itself in my mind because it's one of those films that, because of its length, I could never actually finish watching as a kid. Ya know, it's one of those films that you'll catch on tv, or see at a day care center somewhere in Reno, and yet something will always come up which prevents you from getting the ending. Either you'll just fall asleep, or you'll get picked up from the daycare center... just events unfold which prevent a full viewing. For me, it was this film and Back to the Future 2 that always seemed to last forever and I'd never finish till the end. That gave them a sort of mystique in my childhood.

Now, there is one weakness of Superman, and that's the ending. Superman turns the world backwards in time to save Lois and stop California from falling into the ocean. Yes, it's not great... it doesn't really make any sense. But it's one small blemish on an otherwise grand superhero origin story. And honestly, how could you resist the very end when Christopher Reeve flies over the earth at the onset of a new dawn, looks up at us, and smiles in the way that Superman would smile? It's just movie magic, folks.

What makes Superman work is Richard Donner's verisimilitude, especially during the Krypton and Smallville scenes. This movie was the first to tell the superhero origin story, and is still the best one, in my opinion. The shots of the crystalline Kryptonian landscape are awe inspiring. You really believe this is an alien world with an alien people. Smallville looked like the town that Norman Rockwell grew up in. Sure, it doesn't actually exist in real life, but it looks like how we would all want a small American town to look. Who wouldn't want to grow up in a pastural idyllic setting like that? Who could possibly doubt that America's greatest hero would emerge from such a place? When the camera raised and zoomed ahead of Clark and Martha Kent, embracing in a rich field of golden wheat, it was the film was letting us know we had just witnessed the birth of a modern American myth.

And of course, the soundtrack. Who the hell doesn't know the Superman soundtrack? I haven't talked about the soundtrack of any other film on this list, and it's for good reason. None of them matter compared to John Williams' work here. Truly a masterpiece of scoring, and probably his greatest work to date. The notes simply cry out "Superman" even though there aren't any lyrics. Just as Aliens worked to pummel you with dread and suspense, the Superman music worked to uplift the spirit and allow the audience to soar like the Man of Steel himself.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By asurastrike

I can only think of 6, so, in no particular order

Kill Bill Vol. 1
Boondock Saints
Donnie Darko
Goldfinger
Shawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness

NintenDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NintenDood

Here's my favorites, in no order:

• Oldboy
  • Requiem For A Dream
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Spirited Away
  • The Wrestler
  • Grave of the Fireflies
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ
@giyanks22: Shawshank Redemption was great. I remember the first time I had seen it, it was like I had never seen a real movie before. 
  1. Shawshank Redemption
  2. Babel
  3. The Lord of the Rings
  4. Fight Club
  5. Stranger Than Fiction
  6. First Descent
  7. The Dark Knight
  8. Hot Fuzz
  9. Tropic Thunder
  10. Kiki's Delivery Service
  11. The Place Promised in our Early Days
  12. Walking Tall (I know, I know...)
  13. Shaolin Soccer
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DanielJW
 5 I can think of off the top of my head:

Rear Window
Moulin Rouge
Pulp Fiction
Vertigo
Slumdog Millionare

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
@DanielJW said:
"

Rear Window
Moulin Rouge
Pulp Fiction
Vertigo
Slumdog Millionare

"
I'm not saying your list is bad, but I honestly want someone to explain to me why they liked Pulp Fiction. Im not trying to trash the movie, just honestly curious. 
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DanielJW
@AgentJ: Ohhh I don't know. It was just one of those movies that stuck with me. I liked the style, I liked Samuel Jackson's absurdity. I liked the entire movies absurdity. For me it was just a flat out crazy ride that I was happy to go along for.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By gingertastic_10

This is in order from my all time favorite on down.

1. In Bruges

No Caption Provided
I know this is a odd movie to be listed as a all time favorite. But I very very much enjoyed this movie. It has a fine mix of comedy with kinda  a mature depressing story. The story is two hit man Ray (Colin Farrell) and Ken (Brendan Gleeson). Ray is a rookie hit men and while trying to kill a priest he kills a kid also. Which causes them to be sent to Bruges by their boss Harry (Ralph Fiennes), where is Bruges? It's in Belgium. So basically the rest of the movie has to do with Ray dealing with depression about killing the kid. It get very emotional at times and Colin (who on a Golden Globe for the role) does a fantastic job. Everyone does a good job, no acting is bad. It also shows off the great beauty of Bruges, the movie looks stunning. I think this is a very over looked movie. It builds up the characters great, which makes the ending feel that much more powerful. Also the ending monologue is fantastic.

2. Gone Baby Gone
No Caption Provided
Now I hate Ben Affleck, I don't like the movies he is it. But I can't doubt his directing skills. He directs Gone Baby Gone a 2007 movie starring his brother Casey. It's based on the Dennis Lehane book series, Gone Baby Gone is the third book in the series. The story is about a little girl who is kidnapped and Patrick Kenzie (Casey Affleck) and Angie Gennaro (Michelle Monaghan) are asked to find her. Ben does a good job in introducing these characters considering that it is based on the third book in a series. Casey (who is one of my favorite actors) does a very good job. He plays Patrick with great emotion. The movie is really about doing what you think is right, and that leads to some trouble in the movie between the characters.

3. Hot Fuzz
The German movie poster, hell yeah.
The German movie poster, hell yeah.
I'm a fan of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. They are great actors. Hot Fuzz is the second film of the "Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy", the first on in the series was Shaun of the Dead. Hot Fuzz is about a talented police officer named Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg) who is moved to the country because he is making the rest of the staff "look bad". The movie is really funny and well written. Edger Wright and Pegg now how to write good stories with great characters, and the movie is full of them and they all play their part. Probably the only problem I have with the movie is that it runs a tad long. But there really isn't any way to make it shorter, the story is kinda deep so it needs to be explained.

4. 3:10 to Yuma
No Caption Provided
This is my all time favorite western. And I hate westerns usually. They all seem to be about the same thing, but somehow 3:10 to Yuma really stuck to me. It stars Christan Bale as Dan Evens, a rancher down on his luck. After Ben Wade (Russell Crowe) is caught, they need someone to take him to the 3:10 to Yuma train. Dan volunteers. This is my favorite Bale film. Yes he's in The Dark Knight and blah blah blah. The way he played the role seem right, he made you care about Dan and his troubles. The acting though overall is fantastic. Ben Foster does a good job in the supporting role as Wades right hand man. He plays a douche bag pretty well. The movie is shot very well also.

5. Observe and Report
No Caption Provided
Ok, I bet I'll get shit for putting this movie into my top all-time movies, but it's the way I feel. I loved this damn movie. I have never been so entertained. Now for a Seth Rogen movie I didn't laugh as much, but that's not a bad thing. You have to be in the mood to see this kind of movie I think. It's probably the darkest dark humored movie I have ever seen, but the previews made it seem like it was a laugh a minute movie. The movie follows Ronnie (Seth Rogen) a mall cop who wants to be a real cop, sound familiar right? I think Seth was on the top of his game in this movie. Line after line you swear the guy is fucking crazy, but you just sit back and see where it goes.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AgentJ
@gingertastic_10: Fuck! I forgot Hot fuzz! And (on an inrelated note) Shaolin Soccer! *goes to edit list*
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By JoelTGM
@NintenDood said:
" Here's my favorites, in no order:
  • Oldboy
  • Requiem For A Dream
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Spirited Away
  • The Wrestler
  • Grave of the Fireflies
"
dang you got a nice list.  I don't know "my neighbor totoro" and "grave of the fireflies", but all the rest are my favourites too. 
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By teh_destroyer

No Caption Provided
 Grave of the Fireflies: I didn't know that an animated movie could be so thought provoking, and have me almost sobbing by the end of the movie.

No Caption Provided
7even: Fantastic movie, intriguing ideas and Brad Pitts best performance makes this one of my favorite David Fincher movies.

No Caption Provided
Blood Diamond: With some solid acting and a good story and intense action, its a shame that it didn't get a nom for best picture.

No Caption Provided
True Lies: Fucking awesome action movie is fucking awesome, you can't touch a super spy like this.

No Caption Provided
Fellowship of the Ring: The fantasy movie that showed us that fantasy movies don't have to suck, plus an equally strong performance from Sean Bean.

No Caption Provided
Tropic Thunder : Not a big fan of Ben Stiller, but Robert Downey JR deliverd my favorite performance of last year.

No Caption Provided
Pearl Harbor : Easily my favorite Michael Bay movie, awesome cgi and an intense musical score with some entertaining acting, its hard for me to hate it.

No Caption Provided
Gangs of New York: With Daniel Daye Lewis and Liam Neeson at the lead, I would be ashamed to say anything bad about this movie. The two actors do such an awesome job in it that you forget abut the supporting characters.

No Caption Provided
The Last Samurai: Another Edward Zwick movie, I am going to say that Tom Cruise was so good in it, that he was definitely robbed of his oscar.

No Caption Provided
Wild Hogs: You all may be eye balling me about this as being my top movie, but it was the last movie I saw with my best friend before he died from a heart attack 3 years ago. It also convinced me that William H Macy needs to do more slap stick comedy.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By agentboolen
@AgentJ said:
" @DanielJW said:
"

Rear Window
Moulin Rouge
Pulp Fiction
Vertigo
Slumdog Millionare

"
I'm not saying your list is bad, but I honestly want someone to explain to me why they liked Pulp Fiction. Im not trying to trash the movie, just honestly curious. 
"
How can you not like Pulp Fiction? The script is just a classic.  Funny odd remarks, very violent at moments.  Its just a great movie.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentJ
@agentboolen said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @DanielJW said:
"

Rear Window
Moulin Rouge
Pulp Fiction
Vertigo
Slumdog Millionare

"
"
How can you not like Pulp Fiction? The script is just a classic.  Funny odd remarks, very violent at moments.  Its just a great movie. "
Sorry, I was just totally ready for it to end with about 40 minutes left. I like other Tarantino movies, just not that one. 
KME93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By KME93

Please know that  i am more of comedy guy so dont attack me
1.I Am Legend- Will "Effing" Smith doing what he does best plus really good book
2. The Dark Knight- My favorite batman EVER. if you really pay attention this shit has a crazy good plot, story, and AHH words can't describe
3. The Hangover- if you havent seen it go now because it is worth it
4. Tropic Thunder- Dark Knight had the action last year but Tropic Thunder had the comedy really hilarious
5. Burn After Reading- Really funny and one of my favorite Coen brother movies

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EvilTwin
@giyanks22 said:
"The Dark Knight- A movie that achieves perfection in every way. The script is top notch, it is full of action, and the acting is superp all around. Heath Ledger gives the second greatest performance ever, and really makes you fear the Joker. The special effects are brilliant, and the story is thrilling and sends a powerful message."
As long as you mute Christian Bale's Batman voice. 
Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I recent memory I can think of a few, this is the order.

Pulp Fiction
Hot Fuzz
Knocked Up
Sholin Soccer (Don't know if thats correct spelling)

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By Atlas

1. Once Upon a Time in the West
2. Hideous Kinky
3. Princess Mononoke
4. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
5. Spirited Away
6. Monty Python's The Life of Brian
7. Airplane!
8. The Wrestler
9. The Last King of Scotland
10. Garden State

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm gonna wing it here. I'm trying to keep it in order, but don't hold me to it. Also, before I get started, I'd like to let you all know that my favorite movie series is the Lethal Weapon series.

Dumb and Dumber
Forrest Gump
Independence Day
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Lethal Weapon
Cast Away
Speed
The Sandlot
Blow
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

On a side note, did that many of you really love Tropic Thunder that much? I didn't think it was so great. I really enjoyed the first 15 minutes or so where they had the movie-in-a-movie going on, but after that, I think it went tremendously downhill and was ultimately pretty lame. And while I'm a big fan of Tom Cruise, I wasn't quite as thrilled about his performance in the movie. That's just me, though.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MeierTheRed
In no particular order, these are the movies on the top of my head right now, that i remember loving and being able to watch over and over again.

Terminator 
Terminator 2
Star Wars Empire Strikes Back
Snatch
Super Troopers
Predator
Aliens 2
Shaun of the Dead
Big Lebowski
Event Horizon
Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Daemon

Well I have a lot of favorites but here's 10 of them.

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
  2. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
  3. Sunrise - A Song of Two Humans (1927)
  4. Pandora's Box (1929)
  5. Apocalypse Now (1979)
  6. All That Jazz (1979)
  7. Diva (1980)
  8. Stray Dog (1949)
  9. The Shining (1980)
  10. Run Lola Run (1998)
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By teh_destroyer
@Daemon said:
" Well I have a lot of favorites but here's 10 of them.

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
"
Have you seen the latest one released a few years ago? The battles in that movie were amazing.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Snail

In no specififc order:

• Wall-e
  • Forest Gump
  • The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  • Schindler's List
  • The Man who Shot Liberty Valance
  • Mr. Smith goes to Washington
  • Manhattan
  • Lost in Translation
  • Kabluey
  • Star Wars Episode V

This is probably not my top ten, but I do love these ten movies.
Others are:
  • Love Actually
  • The Godfather Part I
  • The Godfather III
  • Gangs of New York
natsumesosexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By natsumesosexy

1. 400 Blows

2. Fanny & Alexander
3. Onibaba
4. Divorce: Italian Style
5. Perfect Blue
6. Casino Royale
7. Ratcatcher
8. Goodfellas
9. Some Like It Hot
10. Being John Malkovich
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By penguindust

I'm never too good with these lists as sometimes I have a hard time separating movies I love and movies I think are great films.  So, I'm going to list the films that hold my attention everytime I see them.  If the film is airing again on cable, I'll watch it from wherever it is in the film until the end (or close to it).  Like I said, this is a different list than those I think are great movies but don't watch every time they are on.

1. North by Northwest (1959)
  2. One Two Three (1961)
  3. His Girl Friday (1940)
  4. Casablanca (1942)
  5. A Hard Days Night (1964)
  6. The Thin Man (1934)
  7. Yojimbo (1961)
  8. Star Wars IV: A New Hope (1977)
  9. The Incredibles (2004)
  10. Hellboy (2004)
  11. * I'm adding an 11th because the original Miracle of 34th Street (1947) is the only Christmas movie I watch every single year.  I only watch it at Christmas time, but it's a traditional must-see for my holiday to be complete.

JUNE 2010 UPDATE:  My new list can be found on Screened. PenguinDust's Favorite Movies
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By GunstarRed

Aliens

Amelie

Hard Boiled

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Jurassic park

The Thing (John Carpenter's)

Leon

Ghost In The Shell

Edward Scissorhands

The Crow

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By giyanks22

Sorry about forgetting my top 10....here they are again if anyone missed...I didn't copy and paste them all...

MINE:
1. Saving Private Ryan-
This is the greatest war movie ever made. Spielberg transports you to the battlefields of World War II unlike any movie has ever done before. Tom Hanks gives his best performance ever, which is saying a lot, and the ending is so emotional. It is a movie that is touching, thrilling, but most of all it is a harsh reminder of how horrible war really is. This movie is my favorite movie ever, because for the rest of my life, I will always be reminded of what those men did in WWII, because of how graphic and moving this movie is.

2. The Dark Knight-
A movie that achieves perfection in every way. The script is top notch, it is full of action, and the acting is superp all around. Heath Ledger gives the second greatest performance ever, and really makes you fear the Joker. The special effects are brilliant, and the story is thrilling and sends a powerful message.

3. 12 Angry Men-
A movie that takes place entirely in one room, that is about twelve jurors who must decide the fate of a kid charged with First Degree murder. eleven think he's guilty, and one thinks he's innocent. The one man is played by Henry Fonda, who gives the performance of a lifetime, and he has to convince the eleven jurors of the kid's innocence.

4. The Shawshank Redemption-
This is a movie about a man, TIm Robbins, who is wrongly convicted of killing his wife and her lover, and he is given a double life sentence in a maxim security, corrupt  New England Prison. There he befriends Morgan Freeman, who plays another man with a life sentence, and the movie progesses with their life in prison. The cinematography is absolutely brilliant, and Morgan Freeman is excellent. The ending is very...very picture perfect, and the movie does an amazing job of showing how the outside world changes over time, while the walls of the prison are resistant  to any time change.

5. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King-
In this movie Peter Jackson does a masterful job of rounding out one of the greatest trilogies of all time. A movie that won eleven academy awards, the all time record, LOTR ROTK, shows how Frodo must fulfill his quest of destroying the ring, while the forces of good try and hold off the evil Sauron's forces by fighting them head on. Elijah Wood gives an astounding performance where he develops the character of  Frodo to the same amount of detail described in Tolkien's masterful books. Ian McKellen gives an amazing performace as the Savior like Gandalf. Every actor is really amazing. Andy Serkis, who plays Gollum, went through hell to play the role, and he achieved it brilliantly. The battle scenes are the most epic of any movie ever, and the charge of the Rohirrim is something that every movie lover must see. A truly epic and awe inspiring film.

6. Patton-
This is a World War II movie that is about one of the greatest military figures of all time. George S. Patton, played by George C. Scott. George C. Scott gives the greatest performance of all time as Patton. He is fiesty, agitating, outspoken, not the hero we wanted, but the one we needed. All of his successes are outweighed by his outspokenness, and stubbornness. The movie portrays Patton as a flawed god, who believes that he was reincarnated after having faught in ancient battles of old. The movie really takes the American's experience of World War II in Europe, and puts it into a nutshell. A really outstanding movie, that shows you what an amazing man he was.

7. Gran Torino-
This might be the best mix of comedy, action, emotion, and message of any movie ever. Clint Eastwood writes, directs, stars in, and produces this one. He got snubbed from any Oscars, but boy did he deserve them. Clint Eastwood plays his typcial , hardened, low key, old bitch. He's racist, and hostile toward pretty much every thing  that moves. One of his Asian neighbors tries to steal his precious Gran Torino car. Eastwood stops him, and is really...really pissed.  But strange circumstances make him a hero in the eyes of his Asian neighbors, and he befriends his next door neighbors. He helps them out, gets the son started at a job, and even is willing to sacrifice everything for them. A great American classic, and hilariously funny at some parts.

8. Forest Gump-
Tom Hanks gives another excellent performance in this movie, as the retarted Forest Gump. The story is really amazing, and has some extremely emotional pieces, and is also very funny. Forest Gump achieves so much with an IQ of 77. He is an all american football player, a medal of honor winner, a national celebrity ping pong champion, a shrimp boat company owner, and a founding investor in Apple. The movie's message is powerful: No matter what, if you can set your mind to do something, anything can be accomplished.

9. The Bourne Ultimatum-
Matt Damon plays the troubled ex-CIA agent Jason Bourne, a man who has amnesia, and cannot remember his past. Meanwhile the CIA has been hunting him for two years, and he is still on the run, trying to uncover his past. The CIA is starting covert opps programs  to take out enemy targets that threaten US security. The cinematography is excellent and really makes you feel like you are in on the action. The pacing and editing is some of the best ever, and the story is very fulfilling in the end.

10. Blazing Saddles-
This is the funniest movie of all time. Full of great old Hollywood comedians like Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder, Harvey Korman, and Cleavon Little. I was kept laughing throughout the entire movie, and every gag was funnier than the next. Mel Brooks is one of the most talented comedians of all time.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

1) Observe and Report

2) The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissiou
3) Fight Club
4) The Big Lebowski
5) The Wrestler
6) In Bruges
7) 28 Days Later
8) Forrest Gump
9) Snatch
10) Clerks.
*cough* 11) Monty Python and the Holy Grail
*cough* 12) Shaun of the Dead

*note: I'm still pretty young and do wish to expand my movie knowledge. I currently have copies of Taxi Driver, Blazing Saddles, Natural Born Killers, Reservoir Dogs, and Casablanca on their way to my mailbox, so as you can see I'm making an effort XD. I have heard awesome things about Gran Torino and The Shawshank Redemption, and only saw 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. That is why my list is full of mainly modern movies... if anyone was even wondering o.O

SAMCRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SAMCRO
  1. Kill Bill
  2. Spawn
  3. Dark Knight
  4. Pineapple Express
  5. Hellboy 1& 2
  6. X-men Origins: Wolverine
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By gingertastic_10
@nofx4208: Yes, the first In Bruges and Observe and Report I have seen (other then being on my list).

I'm going to add one. I forgot to mention Frailty. It's a movie with Matthew McChonaughey and Bill Paxton. Bill Paxton plays a dad who thinks God wants him to kill demons who are hidden in people. His youngest son Adam thinks he is right, but the oldest son Fenton (Matt O' Leary) thinks his dad has gone crazy. The movie is very well acted and Bill Paxton did a good job directing his first movie. The movie has probably the best ending in a movie that works. The whole movie makes you think "is the dad insane or is it really God telling him to do this". And the last scene of the movie tells you flat off what is going on with that family. Great stuff.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By Bruce
@giyanks22:

Dark Knight was perfection? Really?

*Point gun to head, BANG!* But hey, this is what happens when a well made action movie lands a terrific performance in the middle of it.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By giyanks22
@Bruce said:
" @giyanks22: Dark Knight was perfection? Really?*Point gun to head, BANG!* But hey, this is what happens when a well made action movie lands a terrific performance in the middle of it. "
All the acting was excellent in TDK. The story was thrilling, it was well paced, it was emotional, the CGI was brilliantly used, because no one ever can tell when they used it.

Remember...It's my opinion.
ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryno9881

1. Dark Knight
2. The Gladiator
3. Braveheart
4. 3:10 to Yuma
5. The Count of Monte Cristo

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#39  Edited By sjschmidt93

Movies aren't like games for me. My memory of them fades quicker, and I don't watch nearly as many movies as I play games, so I'm probably not capable of making a list.

I just make sure I see all Marvel and Pixar movies and R-rated comedies. I rarely watch any movies aside from those.
Cassita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cassita

10. The Bridge Over the River Kwai
9. Gran Torino
8. Hamburger Hill
7. Last Tango in Paris
6. James and the Giant Peach / The Nightmare Before Christmas (Too hard to place all these ><)
5. A Clockwork orange
4. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Student movie adaptation. Don't get your hopes up, lol)
3. Bambi
2. Lake of Fire
1. Jacob's Ladder

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By giyanks22
@nofx4208 said:
" 1) Observe and Report
2) The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissiou
3) Fight Club
4) The Big Lebowski
5) The Wrestler
6) In Bruges
7) 28 Days Later
8) Forrest Gump
9) Snatch
10) Clerks.
*cough* 11) Monty Python and the Holy Grail
*cough* 12) Shaun of the Dead

*note: I'm still pretty young and do wish to expand my movie knowledge. I currently have copies of Taxi Driver, Blazing Saddles, Natural Born Killers, Reservoir Dogs, and Casablanca on their way to my mailbox, so as you can see I'm making an effort XD. I have heard awesome things about Gran Torino and The Shawshank Redemption, and only saw 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. That is why my list is full of mainly modern movies... if anyone was even wondering o.O

"
Make sure you watch the opening thirty minutes of Saving Private Ryan...some of the best movie making ever are in those opening thirty minutes.

@RYNO9881 said:
" 1. Dark Knight2. The Gladiator3. Braveheart4. 3:10 to Yuma5. The Count of Monte Cristo "
That's a real guys list...I love it.
erictred007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By erictred007

1. The Goonies (1985) - Pirates, Sloth, swashbuckling, and Baby Ruth bars. What's not to love?
2. The Dark Knight (2008) - The Joker as he needed to be played and an air-tight script.
3. Rad (1986) - Before Dave Mirra, TJ Lavin, and the X-Games, there was Rad.
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - Hey, that was my childhood.
5. The Descent (2005) - Best horror movie in 20 years.
6. Resevoir Dogs (1992) - Put Tarantino on the map, and made a lot of Steve Buscemi fans.
7. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) - The best Sci-Fi / Action film ever made, in my opinion.
8. Sin City (2005) - The series that introduced me to Frank Miller, brought to the screen in the best way possible.
9. Heat (1995) - So many films (like The Dark Knight) owe something to this masterwork.
10. Bound (1996) - The Wachowskis before computers took over the world.

Shermanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shermanator

Mine would be:

1. Casino Royale
2.  The Simpsons Movie
3.  To kill a mocking bird
4.  The Incredibles
5.  The Warriors
6.  Miricle
7.  The Godfather
8.  Bourne Trilogy
9.  Finding Nemo
10. Spiderman 1

Pretty generic, I know.  Also, I hated The Dark Night, so thats how much I know about good movies though, so take my list with a little asterik
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By flaminghobo

Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas
Pulp Fiction
Aliens
Alien
Predator
Star Wars (All of them)
Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Hangover
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Forrest Gump
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbout Totoro
Spirited Away
Akira

Those are a few that spring to mind.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By agentboolen
@AgentJ said:
" @agentboolen said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @DanielJW said:
"

Rear Window
Moulin Rouge
Pulp Fiction
Vertigo
Slumdog Millionare

"
"
How can you not like Pulp Fiction? The script is just a classic.  Funny odd remarks, very violent at moments.  Its just a great movie. "
Sorry, I was just totally ready for it to end with about 40 minutes left. I like other Tarantino movies, just not that one. 
"
To like Tarantino films you have to enjoy his style of writing.  All his films are the same where the characters talk a lot to each other.  If you don't like Pulp I'm not really sure how you can like any of his movies, but I'll respect your opinion even if I don't understand it.
marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46  Edited By marlow83

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Letters from Iwo Jima
3. Return of the King
4. Dark Knight
5. V for Vendetta
6. Die Hard
7. Hot Fuzz
8. Toy Story
9. Love Actually (say what you will, it's a great movie)
10. 3:10 to Yuma (2007 remake)

500xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By 500xp

1. Jet Li's Fearless
2. Kill Bill Vol.1
3. Godfather II
4. The Dark Knight
5. V for Vendetta
6. The Illusionist
7. Equilibrium
8. Jurassic Park II
9. Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky
10. Wall-E

Okay so this is far from the greatest list ever and its in no particular order. It actually took me awhile to think of ten movies, but this list pretty much sums me up. I could watch all these movies a hundred times easily.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lethalki11ler

I love all of Quentin Tarantino's movies. He is simply amazing, other than Death Proof, all his movies are in my Top 5.
so...
1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Kill Bill Vol.1
3. Kill Bill Vol.2
4. Pulp fiction
5. Jackie Brown

But then when I follow to 10 I get pretty mixed genres:

6. I Love You Man
7. Star Wars (IV, V & VI)
8. Fight Club
9. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
10. Oldboy

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By Nomin

In no particular order:

1. Andrei Rublev; I was blown away by this three hour Russian epic, awestruck at how spiritual it is.
2. Ran; I heard that it was based on King Lear. Masterful depiction of a man's total demise, one of the most pessimistic outlook on life ever.
3. The Battle of Algiers; Pentagon officials apparently viewed this film as part of preparation for the Iraq Invasion of 2003. Occupation, occupation never changes. 
4. Dr. Strangelove; No fighting in the war room! One of the most deftly humorous movies ever.
5. Stalker; Apparently the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is based on this movie, which is a not your usual sci-fi with only three people traipsing around barren and literally toxic environment. Striking visuals that will haunt your mind forever.
6. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly; the best of Sergio Leone's the Man with No Name trilogy. Strong performances from all those involved, especially Tuco. 
7. Wild Strawberries; Bergmann's most sunny feature, only one I saw from the director's filmography, one of the most poignant movies I've seen, as sort of Swedish version of the Christmas carol. 
8. Z; The drama that deals with political upheaval in post WWII Greece. Exciting political theatre of bare-knuckle pacing that does not let you go until the devastating ending.
9. The Godfather, Part I; no more can be said of this masterpiece.
10. Vertigo; In my opinion, the best of Hitchcockian thriller.

Honourable mention: Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Hara-kiri, Memento, Se7en, Fargo, Alien, Blade Runner, Die Untergang, The Great Dictator, Back to the Future, Amadeus, etc.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#50  Edited By natetodamax

I am awful at making lists, so I'll just list them in no order

- Step Brothers
- Saving Private Ryan
- Black Hawk Down
- Independence Day