What books are you bombs reading?

High_Nunez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By High_Nunez

I'd love to start reading Elmore Leonard. Do you fine people have any suggestions?

Echofoxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Echofoxz

Danielewski's House of Leaves.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By rpgee

I'm trying to read as many Terry Pratchett books as I can get my hands on, from old to new. Fun fact: if you like his style of writing, it holds up incredibly well, and there always seems to be a unique sort of social commentary.

And then I have The Road by Cormac McCarthy to feel upbeat about the world with.

It's nice tor read again, I reckon. Way better than anything on TV where I am, and, you know, sometimes you just need a break from vidja games. Shocking, I know.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By hugh_jazz

Reading the Robin Hobb's Soldier Son trilogy at the moment. Not entirely sure how I feel about it, as I'm just about halfway through the first book, but it definitely has potential. Probably won't be better than the Farseer or Tawny Man trilogies, though.

Anyone got words on the Rain Wilds books?

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SocietySays

I feel like my computer has been flagged somewhere for clicking on a link that has bomb and book in the same sentence... Just saying..

Also, been reading Guilty Pleasures. Yes it is a Vampire book, but it's really good.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Clonedzero

nothing right now, my sister gave me some book on insomnia saying it helped her and she knows mines way worse, but the book looks like stupid hippy crap so eh, probably wont read it

robdburrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By robdburrows

I'm reading Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" which contains a number of short stories by the author.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Raethen

I rend to read a few books at once and jump between them when I feel one starting to bore me. Right now I'm around 900 pages into A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, about 150 pages into Catch 22, and about 70 into Snow Crash. I'm thinking about starting up one of Dawkin's books when I finish Bryson's.

If anyone is even just a little interested in any type of science and aren't especially scientific minded, I would highly recommend A Short History of Nearly Everything. It covers the basics of nearly every scientific field as well as the history that lead to major findings in each, and is extremely easy to read and understand.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By JaredA

A Clash of Kings

The Last Wish: Introducing The Witcher

Divergence

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Jay444111

Earth Abides

Pretty good so far. Very old timey though... including race relations sadly. But still, good overall so far.

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By juice8367

Song of ice and fire. If it wasen't for the HBO series i would have been totaly lost

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By Chop

Working my way through Shogun.

I always find it terribly difficult to get motivated when it comes to doorstoppers.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By LiquidSwords

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. Been trying to read up on his books. I like that a lot of the characters pop up in different books. Sean Batemen from Rules of Attraction is Patrick Batemen's brother.

Avatar image for thebeastwithtwobacks
thebeastwithtwobacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Acacia by David Anthony Durham

LD50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By LD50

Just finished the two Adam Corolla books. While I'm not a huge fan of his, they were funny.

craigieh28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By craigieh28

World War Z by Max Brooks. It's great.

Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Slaughterhouse V - Kurt Vonnegut

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By doobie

just read silence of the lambs and red dragon and now im reading Hannibal. really enjoying it

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearnes Goodwin. After that, I'm not sure. Maybe more Hemingway or Poe. Kind of in a readers block and can't think of what I'm in the mood for.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Aronman789

Water Sleeps by Glen Cook, part of the Black Company series.

The Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland, really good english translation of the old myths, though the more I read, the more I find that the actual history of the Vikings is way cooler than their religion.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Vodun
Mental Models by Indi Young
Mental Models by Indi Young
Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Bell_End

@craigieh28 said:

World War Z by Max Brooks. It's great.

yeah, i just read the zombie survival guide and WWZ back to back. really very good.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Bell_End

'the road' very depressing book but a very good read. need something a bit more upbeat next though

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By DrPockets000

I'm reading an interesting psychology book called Hooked, which is about how casual sex and intimate sex has different effects on the brain. 

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By bemusedchunk
No Caption Provided
GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GiveUpNed

Transmetropolitin, H.P. Lovecraft and The Walking Dead

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CL60

I, Jedi

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By StingerMK2

I'm neck deep into the Horus Heresy books, currently just finished Tales of Heresy- Wolf at the Front Door, this series is fucking brilliant, i haven't read any other WH40K books, but this series is so gripping, i used to collect the miniatures when i was 11 or 12 and stopped at around 14 or 15, but this universe has always stuck with me, especially with help from the Dawn of War games, but i'm definitely going to stick with the literature for quite some time.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#79  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I was reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. I was loving it, but got busy and didn't pick it up for like two weeks. I need to get back into that.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#80  Edited By korolev

Nemesis by Max Hastings. Fascinating read - it's about the Pacific Theatre of WWII - not the battles necessarily, but what it was like for both sides during that time. It's mostly filled with personal recollections by Japanese and American Soldiers and boy, oh boy does it make for some very unpleasant reading at times. Fascinating, but horrifying at the same time.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Christoffer

I recently started running again, so I picked up Born To Run by Christopher McDougall for some inspiration. It's been highly recommended, and so far it's really good. Might even try out barefoot running some day just for fun.

theANCIENTgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By theANCIENTgray

Can anyone recommend a good launching point for someone who wants to begin reading Murukami's work?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Just bought the Darksiders: The Abomination Vault book because Darksiders is awesome.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84  Edited By Mushir

Just read through Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I was left extremely disappointed as I had quite high hopes for this one after hearing all the praise it's been receiving.

Gonna read The Lord of the Flies by William Goldberg for the first time now. Looking forward to it!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Ravenlight

@theANCIENTgray said:

Can anyone recommend a good launching point for someone who wants to begin reading Murukami's work?

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I feel like it lets the reader get a good handle on his style and lets one more appreciate his previous and following works,

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#86  Edited By Liquidus

Started reading Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson for the second time. First time, I got like 100 pages in and put it down because it just seemed incredibly boring and literally nothing was going on. If I don't make it through this time, I don't think I ever will. I'm definitely enjoying more than that first time, I think it was because I was expecting a Neuromancer/Count Zero style of book and this one is very different from those ones.

theANCIENTgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By theANCIENTgray

@Ravenlight said:

@theANCIENTgray said:

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I feel like it lets the reader get a good handle on his style and lets one more appreciate his previous and following works,

Sounds great. That'll be my next purchase after The Road.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By galacticgravy

Just started "Mistborn" by Brandon Sanderson.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Last Manchu: The Autobiography of Henry Pu Yi by Puyi, the last emperor of China and Japanese puppet emperor of Manchuria.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#90  Edited By Brendan
No Caption Provided
binhoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By binhoker

@theANCIENTgray: Don't, would be my advice.

I'm currently polishing off MAO: the untold story by jung chang ( 800 pages of abject misery), How mumbo jumbo conquered the world by Francis Ween, (better than it sounds) and still popping into Ulysees every once in a while ( don't let the reputation fool you, its probably the best work of fiction of the last century)

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By thomasnash

Been slowly going through Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino. It's a little bit bitty (each section is only about a page long) but that works for me because my dissertation takes up too much time to do much fiction reading. It's great though, absolutely beautiful in spots.

Other than that, it's an unholy concoction of Foucault, Derrida and Judith Butler, with some Giorgio Agamben as the cherry on top.

DreadMorrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By DreadMorrison

"The Last Wish", from the Witcher series. It is seriously good stuff. That and "A Casual Revolution", by Jasper Juul, a book about the recent history of video games and how they have been changing. Not sure about the second one

Tonyyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Tonyyj

Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By stryker1121

Gorky Park--good but very dense and it's taken me a week-and-a-half to get through 60 pages. About to pick up Black and White by Kittredge and Kessler. In the mood for some superhero fiction and hear this is a good 'un.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#96  Edited By Lava

I'm reading through the entire Sherlock Holmes collection. Daunting task but I am really enjoying it.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Erk_Forever

The Map of Time by Felix J. Palma! It's a pretty phenomenal book and I can't recommend it enough!

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

The Book of Jhereg by Steven Brust. I'm on the last story in it, "Teckla". After that.... I'm not sure. Either Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson or Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie.

theANCIENTgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By theANCIENTgray

200 pages into The Road.

It's really good.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Jrinswand
@Christoffer said:

I recently started running again, so I picked up Born To Run by Christopher McDougall for some inspiration. It's been highly recommended, and so far it's really good. Might even try out barefoot running some day just for fun.

That book is pretty incredible, even though I think it is as much of a ploy for barefoot running as fancy running shoe company ad campaigns are a ploy to sell fancy running shoes.

I'm reading The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. It's a pretty crazy book. It sort of reminds me of PKD's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? It's got a pretty heavy cyber/steampunk vibe, even though it is neither cyberpunk nor steampunk.