#101 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1287 posts) -

I just finished The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King....writing a master's thesis right now so most of my reading is academic which is to say shitty

#102 Edited by Peppers (22 posts) -

@chocolaterhinovampire: I haven't read that yet does it actually add anything to the overall story or is it mainly side stuff?

#103 Posted by Legion_ (1253 posts) -

My dad and other working class heroes.

A book about professional footballers back in the day. Magnificent book. Well written, solid storytelling and just a interesting book.

A tale of two cities

Needs no further explanation. Reading it for the third time.

#104 Posted by Haziqonfire (227 posts) -

Right now I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire: A Dance with Dragons (the fifth Game of Thrones book). After that I'm going to move onto The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

#105 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

@theguy said:

"The Brothers Karamazov" it was a little tough to get into but it just started getting interesting. Why didn't you tell us what you're reading?

It's a great book. One of my favorites.

I'm currently reading--and like 20 pages from finishing--Gravity's Rainbow. It's pretty incredible, but I'm not totally sure how to describe it. It's kind of difficult? Pretty discursive, at times. It might also be one of the best things I've ever read.

Huh seems interesting. I'll add it to my already too long list.

#106 Posted by SpottyMaurice (13 posts) -

Just started Railsea by China Mieville. Seems so far to be riffing off Moby Dick but set on a train instead of a ship.

@zFUBARz said: "Otherwise I'm continuing my long slow trek through Terry Pratchet's Discworld series, I'm about 10 or 12 books in now. They aren't all Amazing but they've got some pretty redeeming parts and a lot are amazing."

If anyone is interested in going Pratchett I would suggest trying Going Postal or Small Gods to see if he's for you. These two are stand alone and aren't as bizarre as some of the more cosmic Discworld adventures.

#107 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I'm currently reading the Darkwar series by Glen Cook, which is a weird story about a very matriarchal and sexist world of cat-people with magic powers who fly around space on small metal ships.

I'm also in the middle of reading 1984 by George Orwell, though I'm kind of bored by it, so I put it down for a while, need to pick it up soon. Afterwards I'm going to read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoyevsky before giving Demons, also by Dostoyevsky, a shot, since I greatly enjoyed the weird, twisted drama that was The Idiot.

Gotta get me some of the classic russian literature, son.

#108 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@sergio said:

I'm currently reading Theft of Swords.

Awesome! The Riyria Revelations series is pretty good. In case you find the characters wearing on you (for me it was Arista), I'm happy to say that it ends pretty well so sticking with it may be worth it.

@yesac2004 said:

@selfconfessedcynic: I may have to give those two a look

Cool!

#109 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

After reading through a pile of hand-me-down paperback pulp novels this winter, I just ordered a buttload of books for this Summer.

To finish off this binge, I also got all available 38 volumes of Berserk - a manga series by Kentaro Miura. A purchase I've been pushing along for far too long. The anime show is one of my favorite works of fiction (the new movies are quite good as well -watch Guts vs 100 Fighting Men-), and rumors have it that the manga is far superior (and there's a whole lot more of it too).

The whole thing set me back roughly 350 bucks, and it should last me all through this Summer's swimming season. My brain loves me right now!

#110 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@peppers said:

@chocolaterhinovampire: I haven't read that yet does it actually add anything to the overall story or is it mainly side stuff?

I loved it. It's mostly a tale within a tale. A kind of fairy/folk tale, as it is told in mid world. Lovely book, and I dare say a must read for any avid Dark Tower reader.

#111 Posted by Shimmy (182 posts) -

@zfubarz said:

Ready Player One is basically an 80's movie about the 80's, expect it to be cheesey and you'll be fine. I mean it's got a training montage in it! I finished it about a week ago myself, I usually hate pandering but I enjoyed it.

Otherwise I'm continuing my long slow trek through Terry Pratchet's Discworld series, I'm about 10 or 12 books in now. They aren't all Amazing but they've got some pretty redeeming parts and a lot are amazing. Also every summer I pick my way through some of the Sherlock Holmes stories. I'm considering starting up the Wool books, but dunno if I'll bother with it yet.

Discworld is my jam!

You're right about not every book being amazing though, and lately they've been on a serious down-slope (no doubt due to the author's mounting Alzheimer's). Still, the high notes are HIGH. Going Postal still blows my mind whenever I pick it up.

Anyway, right now I'm splitting my time between Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carré and The Hunter by Richard Stark.

#112 Posted by Carlos1408 (1489 posts) -

I'm currently studying, however, I reckon the books I'm reading at the moment I would be anyways for pleasure. Those are: "The Music of Elliott Carter" and "György Ligeti, Music of the Imagination." I do need to finish reading "Philosophy of Modern Music" too by Theodor Adorno, that has taken a back seat for now though. It's quite dense.

The last fiction book I read purely for pleasure was the last one in the Inheritance Cycle (which I think was called Inheritance) by Christopher Paolini. I enjoyed that one and its predecessors, the first one I read during my mid-teens. I do love me some fantasy. Also intend to one day finish the Lord of the Rings books. I've only read The Hobbit so far, and that was years ago.

#113 Posted by Deinos (89 posts) -

@peppers said:

@thrillhouse87: The series is really good I mean people do have problems with the last few books but I still hold it as one of the better/best fantasy series out there

Dark Tower... nice! Been awhile since I read the last book. Overall, great series. Hate that he revised the Gunslinger though. I picked up The Wind Through the Keyhole recently, but I haven't had time to read it yet.

#114 Edited by MithrilMojo (105 posts) -

Just finishing Leviathan Wakes. It's been simply fantastic.

#115 Posted by skittles (156 posts) -

I'm trying to get on a sci-fi binge at the moment, though I keep finding other things to occupy my time.

Right now I'm half way through Neuromancer, and although I'm enjoying it, I haven't made any time over the last week to finish it off. The shame, the shame.

#116 Edited by skittles (156 posts) -

I'm trying to get on a sci-fi binge at the moment, though I keep finding other things to occupy my time.

Right now I'm half way through Neuromancer, and although I'm enjoying it, I haven't made any time over the last week to finish it off. The shame, the shame.

#117 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3767 posts) -

Reading this right now.

Half of the reason I decided to is because of how badass that art is. So far it's been pretty great. I'm a sucker for 40K fiction. Also the art for the second book in the series is even better. I think it might be one of the coolest pieces of Sci Fi art I've ever seen.

#118 Posted by zFUBARz (620 posts) -

@shimmy: @spottymaurice: Still a long ways off from Going Postal, I'm on Interesting Times right now. I know there's no real reason to read them in order but so far i have been, mostly out of habit I guess, it doesn't hinder my enjoyment really. It's odd that the only really constant characters seem to be the patrician and librarian. Love it though.

Is World War Z actually worth the time?

#119 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3767 posts) -

@zfubarz: Absolutely. That book is really good.

#120 Edited by zFUBARz (620 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy: Thanks, I figure when the movie comes out I'll get inundated with it anyway, usually better to get the book under your belt first I find. I'll add it to my kindle for when I finish Interesting Times.

#121 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3767 posts) -

@zfubarz: You miiiight wanna hold off on the book until after the movie in this case just to give you the best shot at enjoying the movie. From what they've shown in the trailers the movie is soooo far from what the book is. This book is an account after the zombie war from all these different perspectives, it's almost like a non fiction book, that's part of what makes it so great. It's kinda a bummer, at this point I'm just hoping for a good zombie flick with Brad Pitt. But yeah, thought I'd give you a heads up in case it has a bearing on your decision.

#122 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button yesterday. I really didn't care for the movie, but found out yesterday that the movie and book aren't very much alike, and that the book is actually a short story. So I read it. It was pretty charming. I definitely prefer it over the movie, but also see why the movie had to take it in a different direction.

I'm about to start reading The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. I'm looking forward to that one.

Recently I've read The Mountain Lion by Jean Stafford. Totally loved that one. I'm a tough book critic, but it's certainly now one of my favorites. I definitely recommend it to anyone.

#123 Posted by zFUBARz (620 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy: Not really, for some reason my enjoyment of books is often hindered by seeing the movie first, while movies are generally still enjoyable even if they're not as good as the books but stand on their own just fine. My ability to compartmentalize is strange and fickle.

#124 Edited by Hunter5024 (5509 posts) -

I'm halfway through Path of Daggers, book 8 in Wheel of Time. I've been at the same spot for months, which is very unusual for me, it usually doesn't take me more than a month to read a book if that. Maybe I'm just a little burnt out on the series, I think I should read another book and then come back to it. However I'm afraid if I do that I won't remember the names of any of the places or characters when I come back to it.

#125 Edited by SpoogeMcduck (178 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy: I think I've finished the first four books in the Horus Heresy but I have trouble keeping the Primarchs straight and trying to remember which ones fighting for chaos and who's still loyal to the emperor, need a few more of them killed off so there's less to remember :)

#126 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

A Game of Thrones. Just getting on this Song of Ice and Fire bandwagon, it's been pretty fun so far.

#127 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

Okay, just finished Zero Sum - man, that took a turn for the worse. Went from interesting genre mix to teenage wish fulfilment fantasy with the MC just boning all of the hot babes and being uber powerful, etc. Ergh, not my cup of tea at all.

@yesac2004 , I'll say stay away from Zero Sight & Zero Sum, but who knows, maybe your tastes may incline you towards liking it. Seems like many do.

Codex Alera, on the other hand, is a great series that should be read by way more people.

I'm moving on to the recently released instalment of Mageborn, The God-Stone War. Hopefully this one lives up to its predecessors, unlike Zero Sum.

#128 Posted by somekindarobot (62 posts) -

The last few books I've read are

1. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (loved it)

2. Wired by Douglas E. Richards (fun, fast read)

3. Amped by Douglas E. Richards (same as wired)

I'm actually in the middle of reading The Princess Bride for the first time. time I loved the movie when I was little Buddhist recently came across the book. book In really digging It

#129 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

I've just finished reading a bunch of books for university and although I enjoyed them and would probably have read them anyway there's something about having to read a book that takes some of the pleasure out of them! So, now I'm reading a book I want to read just because! And for some reason it's a collection of ghost stories put together by Roald Dahl. They've been good so far, eerie rather than "A ghost! Aaaah!".

#130 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3767 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy: I think I've finished the first four books in the Horus Heresy but I have trouble keeping the Primarchs straight and trying to remember which ones fighting for chaos and who's still loyal to the emperor, need a few more of them killed off so there's less to remember :)

Haha yeah there's a ton of characters to keep track of for sure. That's such a great series though, totally worth sticking with. Some awesome characters in those books.

#131 Edited by Titl (539 posts) -

Just finished reading Ender's game, which was a very nice book. Now i'm comtemplating reading neuromancer.

#132 Edited by JJWeatherman (14556 posts) -

Just started reading The Last Wish (The first Witcher book) and am enjoying it thus far!

Edit: Oh jeez, and now Amazon is recommending me this:

Marketplace confusion!

#133 Posted by Peppers (22 posts) -

@jjweatherman: Nope I believe Amazon nailed it, Merciless Assassin to what looks like farm horse rider that is 1 to 1 if I've ever seen one

#134 Posted by somekindarobot (62 posts) -

After I finish The Princess Bride I am going to start Insignia. I read the sample on my kindle and really liked the idea of it so I bought it when it was a kindle daily deal. Other books I really enjoyed were the Inheritance Cycle.

#135 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -

I'm gonna be reading Atlas Shrugged if it ever shows up in the mail.

#136 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I'm slowly working my way through We Can Remember It For You Wholesale by Philip K Dick.

It embarrasses me sometimes to admit I'm a pretty sluggish reader. My attempt to read Neuromancer, a whopping 300 or so pages, took me about six months. Problem is I have so many avenues to entertain myself at home that I'm not necessarily inclined to read (a shame as it's way more cost-effective) outside of commuting, and an annoying compulsion to actually finish books regardless of whether I'm enjoying them or not makes working through some things agonisingly slow, even going so far to put me off reading books in prose for considerable lengths of time if I really hated the last one.

First world problems, I know.

#137 Edited by somekindarobot (62 posts) -

In case anyone cares the book I was talking about Insignia by S.J. Kincaid is part of the Kindle Monthly Deals and is only 2.99

#139 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5138 posts) -

I started reading The Great Gatsby recently, due to the imminent release of the movie. Every time a movie based on a book comes out, I always mean to read the book beforehand and every time I never do. I'm making a point to read this classic, especially since it's not that long, being at 180 pages.

After that, I'd like to get back to Apocolypse Z: The beginning of the End, followed by At the Mountains of Madness.

#140 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@evilnights said:

I'm slowly working my way through We Can Remember It For You Wholesale by Philip K Dick.

It embarrasses me sometimes to admit I'm a pretty sluggish reader. My attempt to read Neuromancer, a whopping 300 or so pages, took me about six months. Problem is I have so many avenues to entertain myself at home that I'm not necessarily inclined to read (a shame as it's way more cost-effective) outside of commuting, and an annoying compulsion to actually finish books regardless of whether I'm enjoying them or not makes working through some things agonisingly slow, even going so far to put me off reading books in prose for considerable lengths of time if I really hated the last one.

My solution. Making a habit of reading in the nude after taking a shower. That's usually after my daily workout, and it's almost always like a slice of heaven. Reading on cloud 9.

Making a daily habit of reading, even if it's just 5 minutes, is totally worth it.

When I was a kid, my habit was to read on the shitter. Suboptimal conditioning, for I sat on the throne for embarassing amounts of time. I'd suggest linking reading to something you do every day anyways. You'll be spending quality time reading regularly in no time.

#141 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@seppli said:

@evilnights said:

My solution. Making a habit of reading in the nude after taking a shower. That's usually after my daily workout, and it's almost always like a slice of heaven. Reading on cloud 9.

Making a daily habit of reading, even if it's just 5 minutes, is totally worth it.

When I was a kid, my habit was to read on the shitter. Suboptimal conditioning, for I sat on the throne for embarassing amounts of time. I'd suggest linking reading to something you do every day anyways. You'll be spending quality time reading regularly in no time.

To be honest commuting is great for it, but unfortunately last year I went from taking 30 minutes on a train and swapping it with a bus instead. All well and good for some people, but I'm one of those guys who gets ill reading on buses.

#142 Edited by Chop (1992 posts) -

I started reading The Great Gatsby recently, due to the imminent release of the movie. Every time a movie based on a book comes out, I always mean to read the book beforehand and every time I never do. I'm making a point to read this classic, especially since it's not that long, being at 180 pages.

After that, I'd like to get back to Apocolypse Z: The beginning of the End, followed by At the Mountains of Madness.

I also started Gatsby but I gave up on it. Gonna be honest, no matter how good the prose is, I still can't handle those classics that are nothing but crying rich people.

#143 Posted by HerbieBug (4194 posts) -

Just finishing Leviathan Wakes. It's been simply fantastic.

The third book in this series, Abaddon's Gate, is due out in June. I am very excited. ( ◠‿◠)

#144 Posted by CashBailey (794 posts) -

Reading this right now.

Half of the reason I decided to is because of how badass that art is. So far it's been pretty great. I'm a sucker for 40K fiction. Also the art for the second book in the series is even better. I think it might be one of the coolest pieces of Sci Fi art I've ever seen.

Great art.

Is that Ray Swanland? He's done amazing art fro the Subterranean Press editions of Joe Abercrombie's books.

#145 Edited by j0lter (225 posts) -

I'm continuing reading the Dragonlance series, or in other words the D&D novels. Pretty good books, and they totally fulfill that much needed fantasy vibe.

#146 Edited by MithrilMojo (105 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy: Good Lord, that is some awesome art.

I keep wanting to get back to The Horus Heresy, but damn, so many books to read.

#147 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3767 posts) -

@cashbailey: Yeah it is, wasn't familiar with his stuff till these books. Guy does some incredible art.

@mithrilmojo: Haha yeah there's a lot. I find having a tablet is helping me burn through them pretty fast. Been reading way more since I started reading ebooks.

#148 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

I just recently read Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. It is a decent murder mystery but it also reinforces that the mystery is almost always more compelling than the answer.

#149 Posted by MithrilMojo (105 posts) -

Picked this up this afternoon just on the basis of the cover alone. Hope to burn through it over the long weekend.

#150 Posted by HerbieBug (4194 posts) -

Rules of Prey by John Sandford. Was alright. Not amazing in any way but I enjoyed it.

Currently reading: Blindsight by Peter Watts. Now this book. This book has potential to be incredible. It's early going for me right now, only about 50 pages in, but all signs point to top quality storytelling in the works.