#1 Edited by Aegon (5847 posts) -

It's been a while since the fall of Whiskey Media, and there's a screened filled hole in my media consumption plate. I need a website with a staff that has good tastes, posts regularly things like reviews, upcoming movies they're interested in, tv shows to watch, etc.

#2 Edited by Vao (329 posts) -

I'm partial to spill.com for some interesting personalities and podcasts, but screened is still alive, so you should just go support them.

#3 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5416 posts) -

@Vao said:

I'm partial to spill.com for some interesting personalities and podcasts, but screened is still alive, so you should just go support them.

I was gonna say spill too.

#4 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

@Vao said:

screened is still alive, so you should just go support them.

Screened has been fucking hideous and unreadable since Rorie left. Not supporting it is for the best.

The correct answer is and always will be The AV Club.

#5 Edited by Aegon (5847 posts) -

@Vao said:

Meh, I look at what they've got every once in a while (screened). It's not doing it for me.

#6 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

Sadness.

#7 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

The Screened community started a podcast. It's pretty good.

#8 Posted by Vao (329 posts) -

Guess I'm behind the times, haven't been to screened forever, so i take that comment back :P AV club is pretty good choice too.

#9 Edited by Aegon (5847 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

Sadness.

.com? .net? .org? .ca? .am? .xxx?

@iAmJohn said:

@Vao said:

Screened has been fucking hideous and unreadable since Rorie left. Not supporting it is for the best.

Is there some optimal way to browse that site? There's so much stuff everywhere. Are there any specific features and videos I should be checking out? Is there any way for me to view all of the reviews and filter/order them the way I please? That last point is something that bugs me about it. There's a lot of stuff and maybe not exactly an optimal way to navigate through it. And there doesn't seem to be a lot of faces attached to the site like there are on giant bomb or like there were on screened.

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Vao said:

This kind of. Screened will bounce back eventually. Every user helps.

He didn't know Rorie left. look down. @Vao said:

Guess I'm behind the times, haven't been to screened forever, so i take that comment back :P AV club is pretty good choice too.

#10 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1210 posts) -

@Vao said:

This kind of. Screened will bounce back eventually. Every user helps.

#11 Posted by Toxin066 (3330 posts) -

Rorie's tumblr. He still talks about movies and whatnot.

#12 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

TV.com for tv stuff.

#13 Posted by WarlordPayne (706 posts) -

Wow, Screened hasn't even bothered to remove the Giant Bomb footer from when Whiskey broke apart. They've just given up on it, haven't they?

#14 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I just follow Rorie on Twitter to keep up with how one should properly pet puppies.

#15 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -

Nothing wrong with IMDb. For film specific content, I've been using Rotten Tomatoes since '02. They have a pretty active community, provided you can find their well-hidden forums. Tough to find active forums these days in the age of facebook, twitter etc.

#16 Edited by SargeGulp (240 posts) -

/filmcast(podcast) they also have a website slashfilm.com but it's more news oriented, although it does contain some reviews.

#17 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -
@Aegon said:

@Jrinswand said:

Sadness.

.com? .net? .org? .ca? .am? .xxx?

None  of those. Just the deep-down kind. Like in your soul.
#18 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

AV Club and Spill definitely. I like Spill a lot more for their casual party attitude while still be serious.

#19 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

@Aegon said:

Is there some optimal way to browse that site? There's so much stuff everywhere. Are there any specific features and videos I should be checking out? Is there any way for me to view all of the reviews and filter/order them the way I please? That last point is something that bugs me about it. There's a lot of stuff and maybe not exactly an optimal way to navigate through it. And there doesn't seem to be a lot of faces attached to the site like there are on giant bomb or like there were on screened.

Admittedly, AVC can be kind of overwhelming for first timers because of how they organize things. The only reviews you can customize and filter for are TV Club reviews (essentially, you follow a show, they alert you whenever a new review or an article mentioning said show gets published, or you can see an organized list on your TVC homepage), but as a general rule: Book reviews are on Monday; music reviews are on Tuesday; DVD reviews run on Wednesday; film reviews get published throughout the week but are generally held for Wednesday or Thursday; and comedy albums get reviewed on Friday. They also do gaming stuff, but it's all done by their sister site Gameological Society and AV Club doesn't cross-post everything they write.

As for the faces, if you spend enough time there you start to learn some of the who's behind the text (like Sean O'Neil and Todd Van Der Werf and others). For good places to start, check out Nathan Rabin's My World of Flops and its predecessor My Year of Flops (Alex is a big fan and if you've read any Year of the Cage, you'll immediately notice how much of his style is borrowed from the way Rabin and TV Club do things), their video stuff like AV Undercover and Pop Pilgrims, Steven Hyden's Whatever Happened to Alternative Nation?, and their op-ed column For Our Consideration. There's plenty more to check out from there (especially if you're willing to click around the Features sidebar a bit) but it's a good place to start.

Hope that helps!

#20 Posted by Geralt (337 posts) -

I once asked Rorie about this and he said AV club and this David Poland guy who writes blog about films in general.

I'll try spill.com since you guys mentioned it.

#21 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Vao said:

Bullshit. Screened went downhill in both content and actual opinion pieces a month or so before Alex even left. It's been junk even when Rorie was still there.

#22 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Spill.com is my go to movie site, though mostly for their audio reviews and podcasts. They don't do much in terms of videos anymore.

#23 Posted by ShockD (2421 posts) -

I just use IMDb.

#24 Posted by andriv (257 posts) -

av club is great for reviews of shows and movies

joblo.com is okay for news