• 57 results
Posted by stoodspoon (596 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: What did you think of Man of Steel (233 votes)

Loved it! 41%
Meh... 48%
Hated it! 15%
#1 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I'm seeing it today, will let you know what I thought when I get back.

#2 Posted by EXTomar (4497 posts) -

I think it is okay but the story is kind of a mess which is typical for Snider's movies where the story is bent to facilitate action.

#3 Posted by liquiddragon (221 posts) -

Meh....3/5

#4 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

Man, it just jumped around all over the place early on and there was no build up to any event, no depth to the characters, no soul to the movie.

but FAORA, dude she was so cool and her fight scenes were phenomenal. She zipped around all over the place Dragonball Z style and I fucking loved that stuff. The action in general was incredible, even if it does become mind-numbing (the jets and dubstep machine were just so noisy.)

#5 Posted by joshth (500 posts) -

if there was something between meh and hated it, I would choose that. It wasn't awful. There was just very little good about it.

#6 Edited by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

Meh....3/5

This is kind of apropos since it's running at 57% among the top critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

#7 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I thought it was really good, though I could definitely tell it's one of those love it or hate it movies. It has it's flaws but in general the things that it did well outshine the things that it didn't do well. I'm surprised the consensus on RT is so low, as there are other superhero movies like The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spiderman that I thought were just awful but were very well received.

#8 Edited by EXTomar (4497 posts) -

As a side topic, I thought Dark Knight Rises was not good either and I'm confused how people could defend such a plot hole ridden mess even through the lens a "comic book story".

The issue with Man of Steel is that they had started with the most solid of Superman's themes but bailed on it when ever they needed action. An invincible god like being who can be above the ethics and law but chooses to let them apply to him. The internal conflict that he can save so many yet can not save everyone leads to darker themes is always a plus. But that was abandoned so they could have hyper involved action scenes so long I wish they would just move on and go back to more interesting things.

In short this feels like a 75 minute movie spread out to 120 minutes.

#9 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

Oh and did y'all see the Wayne enterprises logo on the satellite that superman and Zod smash through? Snyder said it was just him goofing.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7050 posts) -

@benny said:

Oh and did y'all see the Wayne enterprises logo on the satellite that superman and Zod smash through? Snyder said it was just him goofing.

It's been long rumored that DC is planning a Justice League movie so I have a hard time believing it was just goofing. I would prefer Snyder not be involved in any more DC films because...I don't think he's a very good director. And I don't think he can do a character as beloved and established as Superman (or any major comic book character) justice. And Sucker Punch should have made someone at DC stop and say "Is this guy talented enough to handle the very first superhero well?"

#11 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10472 posts) -

I think the action and special effects are incredible and insane. It's just that the story isn't particularly good. And Superman/Clark Kent is pretty bland.

What this movie made me realize is that one of the main reasons that I like big dumb action movies is that they're funny. Either through witty dialog, or because the action is ridiculous in a humorous manner. Man of Steel is about as humorless as a Superman movie can be, and I didn't like that.

Also, no Lex Luthor. What's up with that? No, the LexCorp logo on a truck doesn't count.

#12 Edited by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

Like, 3.5 out of 5. I think all of the action scenes could have been trimmed down a few minutes, and one of them probably should have been cut from the movie entirely. They could have put that valuable time toward fleshing out the plot a little more, cause there really wasn't very much story to this thing, and most of what there was revolved more around Zod and Jor El than Clark. Also I thought what they did with the tornado was hella stupid. That being said I think they could have done a lot worse, and I'm honestly a little surprised that it came out as well as it did. I think it was a decent start, and they hit a good tone, but I really hope they manage to make a more thoughtful, character driven movie next time. Hopefully with just a tad more color.

#13 Posted by afabs515 (1011 posts) -

IMO, there were some weird pacing issues and the story was a bit weak. But I thought it was a really good movie. Was thoroughly entertained and left the theater feeling satisfied. Money and time well spent.

#14 Edited by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I really liked the movie overall, but the dialogue had some issues--especially Lois Lane. The 2v1 fight is probably the coolest superhero fight I've watched.

#15 Posted by flindip (533 posts) -

I think it suffered from Zimmer's generic film score. They should have bit the bullet and used Williams "Superman March." Its just too iconic of a film score to abandon.

Snyder's directorial style would have benefited greatly with some of William's magic.

#16 Edited by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

It is an incredibly uneven film, in some parts an outright bad one. That said, my face lit up with glee every time the Kryptonian lady showed up. She was fucking great.

#17 Posted by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -

I really liked it. It had some pacing problems to be sure. But after Dark Knight Rises and Green Lantern it felt good to enjoy a DC movie again.

#18 Edited by Strife777 (1503 posts) -

I wouldn't say I loved it, but I liked it a lot. I'm personally fine with it being a bit somber, it's a fresh take on the character. Some of the action scenes were a bit of a mess at points, making it hard to make out what was happening, but it could've been worse. I also would've liked Superman to acknowledge the damages he did alongside Zod.

Otherwise I thought it was a great movie for one of my least favorite superhero, they actually made me like him a little.

#19 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

@darkshaper said:

I really liked it. It had some pacing problems to be sure. But after Dark Knight Rises and Green Lantern it felt good to enjoy a DC movie again.

DKR had problems, but I feel like calling it more flawed than Man of Steel is a stretch.

That being said, I thought Man of Steel was okay, although it kind of dragged at the end.

#20 Edited by Novis (102 posts) -

I liked the angle they were going for with Superman, but there just wasn't enough time to let things sink it. Action looked great, though. Kinda like the actor for Superman. Didn't like the way they romanced Lois and Superman. Felt forced.

#21 Posted by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -

@darkshaper said:

DKR had problems, but I feel like calling it more flawed than Man of Steel is a stretch.

That being said, I thought Man of Steel was okay, although it kind of dragged at the end.

Honestly, I would say Man of Steel and DKR are about equally flawed. I just didn't enjoy DKR.

#22 Edited by Schmollian (259 posts) -

Well it featured an absolutely obscene amount of CGI special effects and an absurd amount of explosions. That being said, it was worth the price of admission. A good Superman flick.

#23 Edited by laserguy (438 posts) -

It was not a funny film. Nolan is not known for comedy, as a producer he probably pushed Zack to cut the comedy down, and keep it based in reality. It was a pretty good film overall. Nolan likes reality, thats why Batman wont hold up. Superheros in real time are boring. now bring on Darkseid. and the Legion of doom.

#24 Edited by Intro (1206 posts) -

I really enjoyed it. Off Topic: Work at a theater and an old lady came out to refund her tickets because she didn't know Superman was so violent.

#25 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@intro: He's not supposed to demonstrate homicidal violence as a character, common nerdy criticism of the film. Though it can be distracting when you're destroying an entire city.

#26 Edited by Andorski (5190 posts) -

Good for the most part, but I felt like something was missing. Can't quite put my finger on it though...

Loved that for all the flying punches, throwing into buildings, and other superhuman fighting moves, the way Superman kills Zod is with an old fashioned neck snap.

#27 Edited by TangoUp (307 posts) -

Recent super hero movies have the super hero meekly acquiesce to the military.

Soft power of cinema and all that ...

#28 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

Didn't wow me and kind of bored me a little. The beginning had some nice, touching moments though. Wish it kept a similar tone throughout.

#29 Edited by laserguy (438 posts) -

Does that snap mean you could kill Superman the same way? Whats up with the glass's at the end? Didn't everyone already know who he was?

#30 Posted by EXTomar (4497 posts) -

I was having problems trying to describe my dissatisfaction with the movie until I came across MovieBob's review and his insight clicked: Man of Steel is like Dragonball Z without any whimsical or fun parts and a lot more of the "screaming for 15 minutes while punching".

#31 Edited by djou (858 posts) -

It was okay. I was surprised by the structure of the movie, pretty sophisticated for a superhero movie, but it lead to numerous incoherent/logical flaws. eg Zod saying "There's only one way this can end..." then cutting a scene where he lists two ways. The cgi was a mixed bag, the sense of speed and scale was cool, but the rag doll bodies being thrown around looked silly and weightless.

I saw this on non-3D IMAX, maybe it was just my theater but the sound mix was goddamn deafening, even for a superhero movie. My eardrums were pummeled so severely my ears were ringing on the way out. When are composers going to give the constant trombone farting a rest?

I also don't know if I like that the script ripped off elements of the Matrix (genetically pre-determined utopian pod babies) and Mass Effect (Reaper-like war-machines that touch down on Earth and omit pulsating waves of energy)

@laserguy: Yeah, both Lois and Perry knew. I wish they left this out. Seemed like blatant fan service and sequel baiting.

#32 Posted by Andorski (5190 posts) -

@djou: Perry knows that Lois is aware of Superman's identity, but does he himself know that it's Clark Kent?

@extomar: There were more chuckles in the Dark Knight trilogy, which is saying something. If this is the tone that future DC movies will go in, they need to add a bit more humor to them. It doesn't need to go all the way into Marvel territory in terms of it being light-hearted, but a couple of quips and side jokes would definitely help.

#33 Posted by Wraxend (551 posts) -

The film was really well directed but poorly written, apart from the first 20mins on Krypton, it was just lacking something for me. Having said that the fight scenes where lightyears ahead other action films. 3.5/5

#34 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

@djou said:

I also don't know if I like that the script ripped off elements of the Matrix (genetically pre-determined utopian pod babies) and Mass Effect (Reaper-like war-machines that touch down on Earth and omit pulsating waves of energy)

Most of those details of Krypton's history and technology were created long before those movies by mostly the 70s Superman writers like Elliott Maggin.

#35 Posted by djou (858 posts) -

@andorski: I assumed he did since Lois had background notes visiting Kansas and Clark's mother which in turn lead to the leaking of the story and the direct naming of Lois as the source. So maybe... Lois didn't show Perry all her writing? Maybe she didn't write about it in her article? And that the internet writer didn't do any internet research? This was one of those logical flaws in the movie that seemed deaf to the way media works. Its fine to have some reasonable suspension of disbelief (we are dealing with sci-fi aliens) but the movie didn't address the way news spreads (through twitter, social media). Unless Lois was bankrolling her globetrotting expeditions out of pocket, you would think that Perry could look at her expense reports and see "oh, Lois went to x, y, then a cab to the Kent residence in Kansas and dropped the story, maybe something happened there?" Oh, I forgot this is a world where Clark Kent can put on a pair of glasses and tweed jacket to hide the fact that he has the physique of a bodybuilder and looks like Superman.

To me, this was the biggest problem of the movie, the tone was supposed to be more "realistic" but it required these logical leaps that didn't make much sense. The edits and fragmented structure were used to distract the viewer from basic common sense.

#36 Edited by EXTomar (4497 posts) -

Dark Knight Rises also had these illogical parts in an attempt to bring "realism" that sound neat but upon even a perfunctory glance the detail shows to be nonsense. The more I think about this movie the more disappointed I am in it and the news they already want to do a sequel. My only hope at this point is that a sequel can fix the problems by getting better....everything.

#37 Edited by Epidehl (285 posts) -

I don't think I've disliked a movie, from top to bottom, more than this movie since maybe... Spider-man 3? Don't really feel like ranting about it but as someone that typically seems to like Superman more than most people I thought it was kind of a shit-show. Also, Superman killing Zod is wrong on so many levels it makes my brain hurt.

#38 Edited by Wampa1 (626 posts) -

@laserguy: I'd assume you could break Superman's neck, but you'd need all the force of a Kryptonian to do it.

#39 Posted by medacris (643 posts) -

Dragged a little at the beginning and end, but otherwise, a perfect film.

However, I'm "that person" who also absolutely loved Watchmen and Sucker Punch, so keep that in mind.

#40 Posted by Rasmoss (433 posts) -

I loved it when they dragged Lois Lane aboard their space ship for no reason, so she could learn how to defeat them.

#41 Edited by Humanity (8809 posts) -
@medacris said:

Dragged a little at the beginning and end, but otherwise, a perfect film.

However, I'm "that person" who also absolutely loved Watchmen and Sucker Punch, so keep that in mind.

Nothing wrong with Watchmen. Sucker Punch is alright if you completely turn your brain off and just enjoy the action.

I haven't seen this movie but I'm curious how do they get around the whole Superman/Clark Kent thing? Does he really just put on some glasses and no one knows?

#42 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

As someone who appreciates storytelling, coherence, a through line and basically movies being good, I hated it.

Hated it doubly because there were good ideas, especially "Superman as metaphor for Autism" for one scene. They just did fuckin' nothing with any of them. Tone deaf movie with no sense of how to tell a story.

#43 Edited by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

I thought it was good, not great but good. As with Snider's other work, it is more of a visual spectacle than anything else. Was the story incoherent or absent? Maybe at times it was, but I forgave that because the Superman mythos is already so familiar that the film can afford to appeal to us through alternative ways. I liked how it felt very cosmic, there was no question that Superman is an alien.

#44 Posted by JacDG (2114 posts) -

I was pretty bored throughout the first half (disliked the way they handled the flashbacks and stuff, I was never really invested in Clark's childhood/youth) but once the action started getting going I thought it was amazingly fun, some genuinely great scenes.

#45 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1224 posts) -

I give it a solid 3/5. General Zod was the best character.

#46 Edited by triple07 (1196 posts) -

@humanity: Yeah he just puts on glasses, but to be fair most people never saw him so it kinda works. Of course the guy giving him the job DID see him as Superman but we'll let that slide as who wouldn't give superman a job?

Overall really enjoyed the movie. Thought the action was awesome and even though some of the story stuff didn't work out as well as I was hoping for, I still think it was a pretty good movie. I enjoyed it about as much as I did Iron Man 3 earlier this summer.

#47 Edited by Benny (1947 posts) -

@triple07 said:

@humanity: Yeah he just puts on glasses, but to be fair most people never saw him so it kinda works. Of course the guy giving him the job DID see him as Superman but we'll let that slide as who wouldn't give superman a job?

Overall really enjoyed the movie. Thought the action was awesome and even though some of the story stuff didn't work out as well as I was hoping for, I still think it was a pretty good movie. I enjoyed it about as much as I did Iron Man 3 earlier this summer.

The final scene was honestly one of my favourite parts of the movie, I think because it almost promises a more human story in the future. I really hope this movie franchise continues and that they get a different director, that knows how to show proper build-up, proper pay-off and real depth.

#48 Posted by MrMazz (920 posts) -

Love the early bits where it was all about our perception of the superman. Than it had to go all Transformers 3 at the end as only David Goyer can. Wish Snyder had cut a shorter film there is probably a much better 2 hour or lil under film in there. that Smallville fight was great but than all of that just got washed over with sameness due to an hour of action. What makes things super or uniqe is the limited nature of it. Superman taking off an learning to fly GREAT scene that is undercut by him just casually doing it now. There were some GREAT ideas in there and than it just got washed away.

#49 Posted by MegaLombax (384 posts) -

@rasmoss said:

I loved it when they dragged Lois Lane aboard their space ship for no reason, so she could learn how to defeat them.

I also had problems with part, they seemingly dragged her into their spaceship just to shove her into an empty room with that control panel. Although, there was that one part where Lois mentioned that they went into her mind to search things about Clark. I'm assuming thats how they figured out how to find Clark's phallus shaped spacecraft at the Kent farm.