User Lists: 5

I read the book. It was okay.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I did. Saw it in the IMAX too. It was pretty great.

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By VeggiesBro

I watched it in IMAX last weekend. I thought it was pretty good. I'm interested to see how the next movie goes. As I keep hearing the third book isn't the greatest.

Stilblad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@veggiesbro: The third book made me hate Katniss.

I saw the movie with my family last weekend and I though that it was a good representation of that book and that it was far superior to the first movie. Unfortunately I didnt see it in IMAX

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stilblad: Yeah, that's been the typical response from others I've talked to about the third movie. I guess right now it's hard for me to think of why. I have a few theories, but they're probably out to lunch.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first book was a lot better.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@veggiesbro: the third book veers drastically into the realm of the ridiculous where most major characters suddenly make behavioral 180's and the plot jumps completely off the rails. It's an interesting read if only to witness how a fairly interesting story lost steam halfway through the second novel, but a third was written anyway, patched together from various conflicting elements like some hideous literary Frankenstein.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I haven't seen the movie. I read the book, though, and wasn't impressed.

Simply put, I found the premise far too similar to the previous book; so I disliked the feeling that too little happened.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's great to hear almost everyone say how the third book isn't great and that of course they're making two movies out of it because of course they would stretch things too thin like every other franchise these days. It's promising.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta

@pr1mus said:

It's great to hear almost everyone say how the third book isn't great and that of course they're making two movies out of it because of course they would stretch things too thin like every other franchise these days. It's promising.

A big problem of the third book is it's too dense, so the two movies actually makes sense

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's shit.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@animasta said:

@pr1mus said:

A big problem of the third book is it's too dense, so the two movies actually makes sense

The third book is a fucking dungeon crawl that kills off a lot of characters.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts: I'd rather go see Frozen. At least the leaps in logic are just taken as such instead of treated as "drama".

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VeggiesBro
FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm consistently baffled that adults give a shit about this franchise. It's like Harry Potter all over again.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I was press-ganged into watching it with friends and was mildly entertained. It's not high art, and it's sort of the same as the first movie, but eh. I didn't have to pay for my ticket.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By MormonWarrior

Liked the movie a lot. It was a lot more confident and character-focused than the first one, and the actors felt more comfortable in their roles. Definitely a good adaptation, even though they seem to have toned down the violence a bit much at times.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm consistently baffled that adults give a shit about this franchise. It's like Harry Potter all over again.

I read the first book not knowing that it's a "Young Adult" novel, which quickly became apparent by the writing. Unfortunately I fell victim to my curse of simply wanting to know what happens next and bought the second book which ends on a cliff hanger and then the third book which is a slog was a simple inevitability of the entire situation.

It's definitely worse than Harry Potter because those book were aimed at a younger audience and were at least whimsical for the most part. Hunger Games is very heavily targeted at teens, and as such there is plenty of heavy handed introspective soul searching, love triangles and teen-idealized romance that is stretched thin beyond any measure of good taste.

Are they bad books? Not really, but I think most adults would find them very trite.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly give no shits about the books, haven't read them - never will. The movies are turning out pretty great, Jennifer Lawrence is an outstanding lead.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@humanity said:
It's definitely worse than Harry Potter because those book were aimed at a younger audience and were at least whimsical for the most part.

I'd say that probably applies for the early Harry Potter novels; I recall reading Order of the Phoenix (I think that's the one after Goblet of Fire) when I was in high school and it seemed pretty clear that Rowling was targeting the "Young Adult" market.

Edit: Sorry for going off topic a bit bee tee dubs

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I watched it in IMAX last weekend. I thought it was pretty good. I'm interested to see how the next movie goes. As I keep hearing the third book isn't the greatest.

There is hope though. The second book was mostly terrible and yet the movie turned out pretty decently.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely has the second movie in a trilogy feel. Lots of build up with no or little pay-off, with an incomplete story. However, I thought the movie was pretty good. I have not read the books.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie said:

I honestly give no shits about the books, haven't read them - never will. The movies are turning out pretty great, Jennifer Lawrence is an outstanding lead.

She is SO GOOD it is one of the few times I have been watching a movie and exclaimed (to myself) how good her acting is I BELIEVED her, the way her hands shook the look on her face she is something else.

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VeggiesBro

@monetarydread: Yeah, i'm hopeful that the last movie is at least somewhat decent, as so far i've enjoyed the series to date.