Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Food

@Brendan said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Brendan said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Brendan said:

It's pretty culturally diverse over here so there isn't a set 5 dishes that we all eat or something. For example, my family will make some kind of Mexican dish one night, something Mediterranean another night, something British another night, and so on.

You kind of missed the point of the question. Those aren't national dishes. What are national dishes of America/Canada?

E: From holidays there, I can tell you grits are an American thing. I dunno what the fuck they are, but I have only ever seen them in America.

That's exactly my point. We're culturally diverse, and eat the food of many cultures. We don't have a bunch of national dishes.

That's not what culturally diverse means, but ok. We eat a lot of stuff from different countries here too, but that doesn't mean England doesn't have it's own dishes. Pie, fish and chips, faggots, haggis (if we're talking Britain), Welsh rarebit etc etc.

I know what you're saying. North America doesn't really have that. I'm sorry if I used incorrect language, but I don't really know how to put it any other way. There isn't "North American" food. There's eating habits (fast-food culture) that are closely knit with American culture, but there aren't any national dishes.

If you look at the traditional dishes served for Thanksgiving dinner, those are all inherently North American. Turkey, potatoes, cranberries, corn, squashes, yams, etc. are all native to the new world, they didn't exist in Europe until after Columbus. Of course most of us don't eat like that except on the day itself.

edit: and I also have to mention that there really are some dishes that are inherent to our country: Macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, buffalo wings, grits, biscuits and gravy, collard greens, key lime pie, a ton of foods made from peanuts, jambalaya, hamburgers (ground beef on a sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes was invented here though the name is german), our version of pizza (really different from the italian version that inspired it), and then look at our south western food (which is quite different from mexican food despite what you might think) and the california's versions of mexican and asian dishes... I could go on! Our country has plenty of national dishes, we just don't think of them that way because they're so common that they're easy to miss.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By AngelN7

Human Legs

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

@mbdoeden: What is Texas toast?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By Ben_H

Stirfry. I love to make them. Quite healthy and delicious.

Digiwth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Digiwth

Canadians eat Kraft Dinner and Americans eat Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

Ba Dum Tish

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Rohok

Cheeseburgers, pizzas, and tacos, bud. BBQ, fried foods, that kind of thing. I mean what else do you want to know?

I love cheeseburgers and hotdogs, my two favorites. I like to cook my hotdogs on a pan and get them nice and crispy but not burnt, to the point where theyre start to bubble a bit. I put them on a wheat bun with a thin line of horseradish mustard and ketchup, and then I pile on the diced onions and have myself a treat. Cheeseburgers with bacon and lettuce, tomatos, and onions are also the best with a side of french fries. That's our national foods. Also fried foods from the south and gumbo, as well as smoked BBQ ribs and all that. Very distinctely American. I'd also say we're pretty attached to the tacos as well. Check this out:

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/assets_c/2010/12/Pinche%20tacos%20cheese-thumb-550x412.jpg

I don't know what you mean by "food you actually cook". We cook all that shit.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#107  Edited By JasonR86

Food.

And Budweiser.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#108  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I use a slow cooker to make a wide range of food including chicken, pork, potato, and going to expand to beef.  I also make casseroles and use a gas grill.  I'm starting to expand into red and green peppers.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By dungbootle

Babies

bill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By bill

drugs and alcohol

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By evilrazer

I came to America a month ago and I was shocked at how much people love fast food. McDonald's, Burger King and other type of fast food "restaurants" are booked, drive-throughs are packed during peak hours and people love some hamburger in their belly just because they are so lazy. Seeing people in the supermarkets with giant-ass shopping carts stuffed from the top to the bottom with microwavable meals, cereals, soups in cans is ridiculous. How lazy can person be that he can not cook some rice or potatoes? You spend 15 minutes to make some pasta and you eat healthier food rather than shoving some shitty meal down your throat.

I'm in Richmond, VA right now and couple of weeks ago Richmond hit 2nd place in the nation by obesity, when I saw this pop up on TV, I almost heard some desperate dude screaming in the most victorious voice: "YES, I FUCKING MADE IT".

Duders, don't be lazy and cook some decent food for yourselves, it will take you a bit more time and if you don't know how to cook there is a learning curve, not everything will taste good enough after your first try, but guys, just try and you won't have to look at yourself shamefully in the mirror every morning thinking: "What the hell am I doing with my body?"

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#112  Edited By mrfizzy

@mosespippy said:

I don't think anyone actually cooks here anymore. Not from my generation at least; the older folks do. Now all we eat are precooked meals from the frozen aisle at the grocery store.

Personally I hate the precooked stuff and I actually know how to cook, plus you can't get moose or seal commercially. Normally for supper I'll have a piece of meat (steak, porkchop, salmon, cod, chicken, etc) and I'll fry it with mushrooms, onions and peppers, or grill it and have it with rice, peas, corn, carrots and beans. For breakfast I like cream and cheese scrambled eggs with maple sausage.

We eat a lot of food from other parts of the world too. Pizza, spaghetti, lasagna, burritos, tacos, sushi, fish & chips, etc. The only things that I can think of as uniquely Canadian are poutine, nanaimo bars and beaver tails. In Newfoundland we also have seal flipper pie but you can't get that in the rest of the country.

Fun fact, you can get poutine here in Australia if you know where to go. It is not at all common and most people wouldn't know what it is but there are a few small places that do sell it.

Avatar image for cynically_happy
Cynically_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Cynically_Happy

food

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#114  Edited By Zekhariah

There is a large amount of regional variance.

Most of the people in my family seem to stick with turkey/potatoes, spaghetti/ Italian, and burritos / tacos. Along with salad, burgers,, green bean casseroles and steak maybe as the secondary but common items.

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By itsVASH

Beer... lots and lots of beer

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#116  Edited By Daveyo520

Food

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#117  Edited By grilledcheez

I cook a lot of chicken with some kind of stir fry sauce and rice, if somebody else is cooking a meal here, it's generally meat cooked in a pan with some kind of potato or vegetable based side.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By OmegaChosen

Baconnaise.

No Caption Provided

Breakfast of champions.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Orbitz89

Canadians eat the same things Americans do.. we're both immigrant nations, we're both practically identical.. I thought Americans knew this.. but looking at some of these comments I guess not.

And just to clarify, Neither country has a "national dish" unless you consider burgers, fries and gravy distinctly American/Canadian.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Philantrophy

@CustomOtto said:

@Philantrophy said:

@martyarf: Will not end up in a discussion about racism on the internet.

actually being racist on the internet, however...

If you consider the stereotype that black people enjoy fried food is racist, then your bar is very low.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By customotto

@Philantrophy said:

@CustomOtto said:

@Philantrophy said:

If you consider the stereotype that black people enjoy fried food is racist, then your bar is very low.

how high should i set the bar for racism? let me know. tia.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Example1013

Boxed cereal in a bowl with milk is the only uniquely American food I can think of off the top of my head.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By aspaceinvader

Maple bacon

Just like the dog in the ultimate dog tease.

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Flawed_System

@Tesla said:

It varies by state. Pigs and corn are big in Iowa, fish and Cuban/Puerto Rican food are prevalent in Florida, lobster in Maine, etc. It just depends on the geographic region and what is readily available there.

Was going to say pretty much the same thing. I'm sure someone already posted the obligatory "I'm from America. All I eat is burgers and fries..." comment.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Philantrophy

@CustomOtto: If you use the N-word, base judgement on skin color for example denying a job or calling them thugs and criminals are things I would call racist. By the way I am not American.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By customotto

@Philantrophy said:

@CustomOtto: If you use the N-word, base judgement on skin color for example denying a job or calling them thugs and criminals are things I would call racist. By the way I am not American.

Got it. Man, glad we can get rid of all these things that are considered racism and just limit them to saying the n-word, denying black people jobs and calling them thugs. So much easier now.

By the way what does you not being American have to do with anything.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By penguindust

@GloriousDinosaur said:

@mbdoeden: What is Texas toast?

Texas toast is just really thick sliced toast. It's used often as a replacement for dinner rolls or when making French toast...French-Texas toast.

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Flawed_System

@evilrazer said:

I came to America a month ago and I was shocked at how much people love fast food. McDonald's, Burger King and other type of fast food "restaurants" are booked, drive-throughs are packed during peak hours and people love some hamburger in their belly just because they are so lazy. Seeing people in the supermarkets with giant-ass shopping carts stuffed from the top to the bottom with microwavable meals, cereals, soups in cans is ridiculous. How lazy can person be that he can not cook some rice or potatoes? You spend 15 minutes to make some pasta and you eat healthier food rather than shoving some shitty meal down your throat.

I'm in Richmond, VA right now and couple of weeks ago Richmond hit 2nd place in the nation by obesity, when I saw this pop up on TV, I almost heard some desperate dude screaming in the most victorious voice: "YES, I FUCKING MADE IT".

Duders, don't be lazy and cook some decent food for yourselves, it will take you a bit more time and if you don't know how to cook there is a learning curve, not everything will taste good enough after your first try, but guys, just try and you won't have to look at yourself shamefully in the mirror every morning thinking: "What the hell am I doing with my body?"

I wouldn't say people "love it"...it's more a matter of convenience than anything else. I live in America and I rarely eat fast food (when I do it's a local place...not McDonald's etc.) Surprisingly obesity in America is actually on the decline (as of January 2012). People have finally realized that fast food every day isn't 'good' for your body and that you'll be happier in the long run if you eat 'healthy'.

If I come off defensive here it's because I'm really tired of hearing the "Americans are fat and lazy" argument. It's really kind of baseless and it's nothing more than a group of logical fallacies compiled into a few sentences.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Philantrophy

@CustomOtto: You know what, let's just stop there. If I offended you in someway, I am sorry.

Also I thought tia meant Typical Ignorant American.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Paindamnation

Shit ton of Ramen.

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By martyarf

@Philantrophy said:

@CustomOtto said:

@Philantrophy said:

You aren't really worth the effort but whatever. You realise that most "soul food" associated with African-Americans is racist in several dimensions. First, it was food that their ancestors were able to procure and eat as slaves - the only livestock slaves could keep was chicken. Secondly, in particular reference to the hilarious "watermelon" remark made, this was a specifically cultured image, created by slave owners and anti-abolitionists. The message was that black people needed only the simple things in life - they only need watermelon, not their freedom and dignity. When you made ridiculous passing comments about this, you specifically bring these images to bear. Do not do it. It is not your place to. There are a sleuth of other factors that make it, at the least, offensive to joke about the diets of African-Americans, such as the fact that they live in "food deserts", systematically denied access to healthier foods by city planners and corporate offices, and bearing the brunt of the corn subsidies that ultimately result in higher rates of heart disease, cancer and diabetes among African-American populations. Like I said, racism is hilarious.

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By martyarf

@evilrazer said:

I'm also an immigrant to America. Taking your condescending approach is misguided. Americans eat the way they do because their society has been structured that way. The poorer you are, the more likely you are to subsist off of fast food. Why is that? You are likely to have more children, so cooking becomes a greater burden. You are likely to work longer days, and so cooking becomes a greater burden. As I mentioned in my last post, the poorer you are (and if you are an ethnicity other than white non-hispanic) the more likely you are to live in a food desert, so cooking becomes a greater burden. The odds are, as a poor person, you do not see a physician, and so you are unaware of the medical issues that your diet is causing. This is a systematic problem, not an individual one. It is no coincidence that the people who eat the unhealthiest foods are the poor, racial minorities and women.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By ltsmash

At first I was thinking of cornbread as a uniquely American food item, but then that's really Native American.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#134  Edited By TheHT

poutine?

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By freakin9

I've never actually made Poutine but it's the only Canadian dish I'm aware of, other than beer(which I've dabbled in the micro-brew).

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#136  Edited By Commisar123

food?

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By beej

@Orbitz89 said:

Canadians eat the same things Americans do.. we're both immigrant nations, we're both practically identical.. I thought Americans knew this.. but looking at some of these comments I guess not.

It's damn hard to find Poutine here.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By habster3

Americans eat Canadians, and not in the sexual way either. Canadians generally eat either an indigenous form of bacon or flies and gnats

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Ramone

Mexicans?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Each other.

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By ma_rc_01

@freakin9 said:

I've never actually made Poutine but it's the only Canadian dish I'm aware of, other than beer(which I've dabbled in the micro-brew).

So who here knows what a Donair is?

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By fini_fly

The 'Canadian' dishes that I can think of are Poutine, Montreal Smoked Meat, and Maple Syrup. But these seem to be be localized to the Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic region. Even then, in Newfoundland, their version of poutine is fries with dressing and gravy (dressing=stuffing). I lived in Alberta for a while and tried Bannock which was really good.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Philantrophy

@martyarf: First thing I apologized, and unhealthy food is not a African american problem it is a problem in the US.

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By martyarf

@Philantrophy said:

@martyarf: First thing I apologized, and unhealthy food is not a African american problem it is a problem in the US.

It is a problem that disproportionately affects African-Americans. This is why they suffer from higher rates of heart disease, obesity and diabetes.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By CL60
@ma_rc_01

@freakin9 said:

So who here knows what a Donair is?

Donairs are fucking amazing.
onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#146  Edited By onan

We eat a lot of high fructose corn syrup, genetically modified crops, and hormone and antibiotic saturated meats.

Yum.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#147  Edited By monkeyking1969

@Dagbiker said:

Chicken, but they only really sell the legs, wings, and breasts.

Where I live they sell the feet as well. Chicken feet are a part of the chicken that is eaten in Mexican, Trinidadian, Jamaican, and Dominican cuisine. But on Cape Cod put them in crab traps as well. So some people here feet, but others use the feet to catch things.