• 157 results
#1 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -
#2 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

Yes, this thread again. People are starting to derail another thread by discussing it so I thought I'd make this thread. 
Except beer but I just added that for humor.

Around here people either call it Coke or Soda... That's it. If you say "pop" in south Alabama you'll have people looking at you like you're an idiot.

#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Soda

#4 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Pop, everything else is invalid

#5 Posted by Sparklykiss (1964 posts) -

Pop!

It's "pop" and nothing else!

#6 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Who the hell calls every drink a coke? That's just weird. It's soda. Or you can call it a soft drink. But pop sounds fucking stupid, and coke is a brand name.

#7 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" Who the hell calls every drink a coke? That's just weird. It's soda. Or you can call it a soft drink. But pop sounds fucking stupid, and coke is a brand name. "
I worked as a waiter in Auburn last semester. It was pretty common to have people ask "what kind of coke do you have?". I used to do it too. This is the deep south though. And I think we're the only area that does it.
#8 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I call it "Soda", my father calls it "Pop" and my grandfather called it "Dope".

It was always funny hearing my grandfather tell me to go get him a dope.

#9 Posted by Bolt (154 posts) -
@Dany said:
" Pop, everything else is invalid "
I'm with this guy. Soda is for old people
#10 Edited by stafax (283 posts) -

Here in Indiana, it's a mix between soda and pop. I say soda. I know if you go to just about any middle eastern country, they say Pepsi.

#11 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@Commando said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" Who the hell calls every drink a coke? That's just weird. It's soda. Or you can call it a soft drink. But pop sounds fucking stupid, and coke is a brand name. "
I worked as a waiter in Auburn last semester. It was pretty common to have people ask "what kind of coke do you have?". I used to do it too. This is the deep south though. And I think we're the only area that does it. "
Aw, you totally wasted your 1000th post on me. But yeah, it's weird to call it Coke. But I guess it's kinda like people calling every tissue a Kleenex. 
#12 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I just say the brand name flavour of what I want, but when speaking in general terms pop is the only correct answer. People that say soda sound mentally challenged to me. 

#13 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" I just say the brand name flavour of what I want, but when speaking in general terms pop is the only correct answer. People that say soda sound mentally challenged to me.  "
People that say pop sound mentally challenged to me. I guess we're at a stalemate.
#14 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Disgusting.

#15 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" I just say the brand name flavour of what I want, but when speaking in general terms pop is the only correct answer. People that say soda sound mentally challenged to me.  "
So...da...watcha sayin'?
#16 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Beer, 'cause WHYNOT.

#17 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

Soda.

Coke doesn't really work unless you are actually drinking coke.
#18 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:

It's at least somewhat common in europe. Some countries refer to all soda as coke.
#19 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@example1013 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:

It's at least somewhat common in europe. Some countries refer to all soda as coke. "
Haha, outrageous!
#20 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1209 posts) -

I call them "Fizzle slurps"

#21 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

Only civilized people call it soda.

Although I've been to areas where everything is Coke and it's fucking mind bending.

#22 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

Pop

Also, might as well post this again:

#23 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

what they are.. drinks.

#24 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@TheVeteran13 said:
" I call them "Fizzle slurps" "
I thought everyone did. You mean to imply that they don't?
#25 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Soda.

#26 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

There's no doubt it's soda, even though everyone in Toronto says pop. They're crazy!

#27 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1209 posts) -
@JJWeatherman:  I thought they did but now I don't know and I'm reevaluating all my life choices right now.
 I'm scared
#28 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Let's all just agree to call them what they really are.

Empty calories.
#29 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

Pop is for Yankees. If anyone even thinks about saying that word in Alabama, we'll know you're a Yankee. We can smell Yankees within a 100 yard radius of any bar/restaurant.

#30 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Pop

#31 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@Commando: I don't know what yankees you've been talking to. Here in the CT we call it soda. I was also going to make a joke about the second part, but that would've been in poor taste, and I would've shamed myself by saying it.

I had a great chili cheese dog in Alabama once.
#32 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

This thread has been made before... anyway, I'm near Chicago and call it Soda. A lot of people I know also call it soda. I have heard people call it pop, but rarely (North Suburbs). Closer to Chicago a lot more people call it pop.

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

A fountain beverage.

#34 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1209 posts) -
@Commando:  I'm from New York and if you say pop you're going to get beat up,,,,,,,,, seriously, so obviously the middle ground here is hillbillies in West Virginia call it pop
#35 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

Anytime someone says pop i feel like im talking to a five year old....
#36 Edited by Commando (1878 posts) -
@example1013 said:

" @Commando: I don't know what yankees you've been talking to. Here in the CT we call it soda. I was also going to make a joke about the second part, but that would've been in poor taste, and I would've shamed myself by saying it.

"
 You can go ahead and say the joke. I've heard plenty of them. I know it's all in good fun.
I have 3rd cousins who live in Massachusetts, and they called it pop.
#37 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@UnrealDP said:
" Anytime someone says pop i feel like im talking to a five year old.... "
Thank you! It's like when an adult says 'tummy' instead of 'stomach'. Or honest to God, I've had adults say they're gonna 'go potty'. I want to punch them.
#38 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

Soda.

#39 Posted by LittleBigJono (252 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" what they are.. drinks. "
Yeah, this pretty much works for me
#40 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -
@TheVeteran13 said:
" @Commando:  I'm from New York and if you say pop you're going to get beat up,,,,,,,,, seriously, so obviously the middle ground here is hillbillies in West Virginia call it pop "
I'm fine with that! Haha
#41 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
" Pop

Also, might as well post this again:

"
This is truly a fascinating map.
#42 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

i thought calling it pop was a canadian thing but i guess not...

#43 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

brus.. because I'm norwegian

#44 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I call it soda, but I should call it pop.

#45 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@Commando said: 

@example1013 said: 

@Commando: I don't know what yankees you've been talking to. Here in the CT we call it soda. I was also going to make a joke about the second part, but that would've been in poor taste, and I would've shamed myself by saying it.

"
 You can go ahead and say the joke. I've heard plenty of them. I know it's all in good fun. I have 3rd cousins who live in Massachusetts, and they called it pop. "
To be fair, Massachusetts is a bit...odd. But hey, at least it's not Rhode Island, right?

Seriously. The US would probably be a bit better off if we could just cut that whole state adrift and send it out to sea.
#46 Posted by Thoseposers (784 posts) -

Soda. Pop is something soccer moms who don't normally have the stuff in the house call it

#47 Posted by VirtuaXav (450 posts) -

I'm from Australia and most people here call it "soft drink", weird huh. I almost think people should be calling it soda, or pop. Definitely not soft drink...

Any other Aussies care to weigh in?
#48 Posted by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -

Pop.

#49 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

I usually call it pop.

#50 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" Soda "